Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Alchenar posted:

The South is still pissed off over the civil war and that was 150 years ago.

You can stand on virtually any spot in Europe and within living memory an army marched over that spot, then a few years later another army marched over it in the opposite direction. Only twenty years after it had all been done before. In many places the second army never went home.

But not the sceptred isle :britain:

Wehraboos are an odd bunch. I hadn't seen many on grog sites - it's usually people with a passion for the history. Flight sims and FPS games are a different matter, though. I got told off on the Tripwire forums for referring to Axis German forces collectively as Nazis. I should point out Red Orchestra in particular is a bit of a magnet for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there really no demo for CMBS? :(

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
If they make one it will be out a month or two after release.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There is always a demo, even for most modules. Eventually. CM demos actually contain quite a lot of content to play for free, including special scenarios that don't come with the game, so if you don't want to buy the entire series but would like to try fighting in Italy 1943 or Afghanistan 1980 for a change, they will keep you entertained for a few evenings.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Okay, doing the CM:RT demo as my first taste of Combat Mission games. I'm confused as hell, guess I have to do the grognard tried-and-true thing of reading the manual cover to cover first.

Also you'd think sitting on a stationary tank that is drawing machine gun fire would mean your dudes would automatically jump off the thing, but nope, they just sit there contentedly dying one by one to a hail of MG fire.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah in CM basically the rule is if they start doing stuff you didn't explicitly order them to then you have lost control and they are about to break and run away, so you are going to have to basically do everything for them. Usually you have time to burn so always scout a position first before you put anything there. If you click on one of your platoons and then hit the 4th (or 3rd?) menu there is an option for breaking that squad up into teams so long as it is large enough (generally more than 4 or 5 guys). Scout team will break off a 2 man squad you can suicide at your leisure without the danger of losing the entire squad.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Combat Mission:

Most stuff is self-explanatory just reading the menus though obviously the nuances and behaviors of things are obviously RTFM territory. Some more in-depth things like communication and moral and poo poo.

And the TacAI. It does some things nicely but overall it's pretty loving stupid, as you've seen. Their grid system is actually a hindrance a lot of the time too.

The best way I can sum it up is that it's the best at its level/fidelity/gameplay type, and the dozen or so things firmly in the bad column are worth overlooking. It's a TON of fun and for the most part the frustrations are with the engine, not the game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dtkozl posted:

Yeah in CM basically the rule is if they start doing stuff you didn't explicitly order them to then you have lost control and they are about to break and run away, so you are going to have to basically do everything for them. Usually you have time to burn so always scout a position first before you put anything there. If you click on one of your platoons and then hit the 4th (or 3rd?) menu there is an option for breaking that squad up into teams so long as it is large enough (generally more than 4 or 5 guys). Scout team will break off a 2 man squad you can suicide at your leisure without the danger of losing the entire squad.

So I'm playing the first mission of the demo for CM:RT. I pull a tank up into that tree line on the road opposite the farmhouse, with a look out over the river. My tank sits there happily for a turn, plinking away at an enemy infantry team on the other side of the river. I'm happy where it is, so I give it no orders.

The next turn, this tank decides he wants to back up about 100 meters, and reverse into the dense forest with a view on absolutely nothing. All on his own.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Drone posted:

The next turn, this tank decides he wants to back up about 100 meters, and reverse into the dense forest with a view on absolutely nothing. All on his own.

How sure are you that it wasn't taking AT fire?

Those russian at rifles can be a doozy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It sounds like the crew panicked for some reason. Did you lose an unbuttoned commander to a sniper by any chance? Or was the tank penetrated by anything?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nenonen posted:

It sounds like the crew panicked for some reason. Did you lose an unbuttoned commander to a sniper by any chance? Or was the tank penetrated by anything?

Oh hey, yup. The commander was dead.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Despite the TacAI being kinda poopy, most of the time that sort of thing makes sense.

I have a video from last night I'll have to post of a single RPG gunner killing an entire platoon in one shot. It suuuuuuucked but was awesome.

CMBS is pretty great.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ or a jeep full of Americans ramboing through a field currently getting shelled getting deleted by a mortar shell? ^^

:allears:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
They need to do a combat mission: cold war game like Wargame: Airland battle but CM style. It'd be great.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Despite the TacAI being kinda poopy, most of the time that sort of thing makes sense.

I have a video from last night I'll have to post of a single RPG gunner killing an entire platoon in one shot. It suuuuuuucked but was awesome.

CMBS is pretty great.

Should have led with infantry.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

maev posted:

They need to do a combat mission: cold war game like Wargame: Airland battle but CM style. It'd be great.

Early American missions in Black Sea have your Abrams up against T-72s! Fish meet barrel.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

maev posted:

They've repeatedly poo poo on that for some reason, even though with far less insta-kill technology it'd be a WAY more interesting conflict.

Out of frame: Five+ tanks, a platoon of infantry 600m behind, a platoon storming the complex 100m away with decent visibility, and several BMPs also on overwatch, all able to see that patch of trees. The practicality of cowering in a foxhole because your two buddies are already dead is clearly demonstrated.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Haha Red Thunder is great. The last 'big' tutorial mission had a full paragraph about the terror of the Tiger and how I am advised to flank it. Casually one of my IS-2s spots it from around 900m away and fires a single shot which blows it to smithereens from the front. :1944:

Edit: How the hell do I make sense of this quick battle system?

maev fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

maev posted:

Haha Red Thunder is great. The last 'big' tutorial mission had a full paragraph about the terror of the Tiger and how I am advised to flank it. Casually one of my IS-2s spots it from around 900m away and fires a single shot which blows it to smithereens from the front. :1944:

Yeah, it's pretty funny how the myth of German armor invincibility just falls completely flat on the Eastern Front. When Tiger Is and Panthers can be penetrated frontally by the ubiquitous Soviet medium tank of the war it's clear that things aren't working out in favor of the Nazis.

I've barely played CM:BN, yet I am tempted to get Black Sea. Send help.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

Early American missions in Black Sea have your Abrams up against T-72s! Fish meet barrel.

They're B3's though, arent they? So they're the best T72 atm.

Abrams is still the best around in Black Sea though. T90AM is very good though, just slightly outclassed ingame. Thankfully it doesnt have the 2A82 gun or it'd have the best gun ingame.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 6, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So anybody up for Scourge of War shenanigans this weekend/next weekend/some other weekend? I remember having 5 or 6 people last time and it was great fun.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dandywalken posted:

They're B3's though, arent they? So they're the best T72 atm.

Abrams is still the best around in Black Sea though. T90AM is very good though, just slightly outclassed ingame. Thankfully it doesnt have the 2A82 gun or it'd have the best gun ingame.

Yeah you still have to be careful - I lost 2 Abrams to them in the first US mission when they got a clear shot at the back end (although it was at the end when I had pretty much won and was being careless).

Having a blast with BS, and I was pretty burnt out on the series by RT. In the WW2 games spotting was good, but if there were a bunch of Tigers on the other side of the map, spotting didn't do much but let you know where the attack was coming from. In BS it is essential and its a great little mini-game within a game getting my FOs into position. From there I can call in precision strikes that will destroy anything with a single shell. My Abrams can sit on a hill at the back of the map and drill anything it sees while my Javelin teams do their 'one shot - move' routine.

Everything is so powerful now I'm really paranoid about checking routes to see if they go past an open line of sight to a distant hill where a sneaky BDM will take the split second of exposure it needs to hit me with a LASER WARNING and blow up my Bradley. (Don't lase me bro!)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dublish posted:

So anybody up for Scourge of War shenanigans this weekend/next weekend/some other weekend? I remember having 5 or 6 people last time and it was great fun.

This poo poo was fun and should happen again.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I'm up for a game of Scourge of War

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Velius posted:

Yeah, it's pretty funny how the myth of German armor invincibility just falls completely flat on the Eastern Front. When Tiger Is and Panthers can be penetrated frontally by the ubiquitous Soviet medium tank of the war it's clear that things aren't working out in favor of the Nazis.

I've barely played CM:BN, yet I am tempted to get Black Sea. Send help.

Are you confusing the IS-2 heavy tank with the T-34?

T-34/76s are unable to penetrate the Tiger frontally at all, and the /85 needs to get within 1000m to reliably penetrate, well within the Tigers own kill range. The T34/85 was much better than the /76 but the Tiger and Panther both had greater range.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm up for a game of Scourge of War

I'm up, just not this weekend, I'm nerding it up in London at a Dropzone Commander Tournment.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Yes, please everyone keep us posted in case we do Scourge. I don't wanna miss that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This thread is surprisingly silent on Door Kickers.

It is out. It is very good. I want this thread to be a safe zone free of paramilitary-shaming.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

By Odins beard!

I tried out the last/biggest scenario in CM:BS and haha there's like 3 companies of T-90s backed up by a company of BMP3s + recce company with artillery support.

And you get 5 Abrams and a company+recce platoon of bradleys / infantry (and 1x152mm SPG support), 2 on-map 120mm mortar carriers.

I was sorta happy when I took out one company of T-90s, but then the contact on my left flank turned out to be another god drat company, and across the map there was ATGM teams set up with the last T-90 company sniping at me :psyduck:

*I'm guessing* I wasn't supposed to aggressively contest the village in the middle :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
So I've been playing even more Flashpoint Campaigns, and I have a couple of questions. Are mechanized infantry really as useless in modern war as the game makes it seem? I parked a full battalion of Soviet mechanized infantry on a VP across a river from the enemy, and they were still folding to stupid HATO Leo 2s until I sent my tanks forward to backstop them. And is there a better policy for Soviet recon than "have those companies advance until they get shot"?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The use of modern mechanized military with IFVs in a full blown symmetric combat is a doctrine not fully tested, but I don't think calling it "useless" is something you can do.

I was taught that the concept hasn't been fully baptized but is something that works well.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

And is there a better policy for Soviet recon than "have those companies advance until they get shot"?

Not in a Cold War context! Scenario designers should make nice mixed groupings with some tanks and mech and recce though, those might hold up a bit better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Infantry should never be caught outside of a heavy forest or urban hex. They suck at ranged combat but will absolutely murder a tank company if one rolls into them unawares. They're less valuable than MBTs, but you have more of them and they are dangerous enough that they can't be ignored. Use them as the static part of your line, to establish lines of sight over the map, and to fight in places where you really don't want to risk losing a tank because especially on NATO every tank counts.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone got any good advice for killing stealth fighters in Command: Modern air and Naval operations?

I was just playing The Five Powers and the J-20's that the chinese have just smeared my Eagles and Flankers up and down the ocean, there didnt seem to be much i could do other than when i saw vampires to just barrel in at high speed to get a sensor picture and try to slap them with missiles but this just results in me losing fighters about 4:1 if I'm lucky.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well I'm not an expert on the game but that's pretty much the point of stealth fighters. Bring F-22's?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Better stealth fighters?

"How to defeat stealth" is one of those questions that doesn't have a single answer. Trapping and flanking is an option; usually fighters aren't as stealthy from the aft. Also IRST sensors (Infrared Search and Track) can help track stealth fighters.

Modern fighters are semi-stealthy too; try to blind their search radars via OECM or via cruise missiles and then operate your best fighters under strict EMCON.

Another option is to sit back and take it; give the air to the chinese and don't contest the air except when you need to move a strike through.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Vahakyla posted:

The use of modern mechanized military with IFVs in a full blown symmetric combat is a doctrine not fully tested, but I don't think calling it "useless" is something you can do.

I was taught that the concept hasn't been fully baptized but is something that works well.

This reminds me of when I first played Operation Flashpoint and in the American campaign my American platoon would disembark from its standard M113 and shoot harmlessly with its machinegun against the Soviet BMP-2 which would fire an ATGM and an anti tank sabot - while dismounting infantry, being amphibious and having shooty holes in the side :argh:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Also can someone tell me where exactly to put infantry uniform textures and HD explosions mods for CM:RT? All other mods seem to work fine but alas, no fancy explosions or uniforms (Its all currently in c/battlefront/cmrt/data/z.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Saros posted:

Well I'm not an expert on the game but that's pretty much the point of stealth fighters. Bring F-22's?

Unfortunately the scenario's are all done with pre-assigned forces, no F-22's for me :(.

Baloogan posted:

Better stealth fighters?

"How to defeat stealth" is one of those questions that doesn't have a single answer. Trapping and flanking is an option; usually fighters aren't as stealthy from the aft. Also IRST sensors (Infrared Search and Track) can help track stealth fighters.

Modern fighters are semi-stealthy too; try to blind their search radars via OECM or via cruise missiles and then operate your best fighters under strict EMCON.

Another option is to sit back and take it; give the air to the chinese and don't contest the air except when you need to move a strike through.

I think playing scenarios as the US has spoiled me, I'm too used to just being able to aggressively grab air superiority, ill give these a go thanks.