Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Last thing on baby chat from me:

Do NOT let them sleep in the bed with you or even bring a bassonett into the bedroom. It will be the biggest mistake you ever make. Give them their own room, their own bed, let it be their space. You (or your wife) may think it's cute and sweet and awwww or whatever, but every single person I know that's let their baby/toddler/kid sleep in their bed with them can't get them out, even at 7 or 8 years old. They'll get out of their bed in the middle of the night and come get in yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kids are the best, especially now that mine is old enough to refer to the GMC as her truck (and demand to sit in it!).

A good sleep schedule will make or break your entire loving life early on with a kid. Ours was terrible at going to sleep without being rocked all the way down (and laying her down was pretty much the first scene of Raiders every loving night) until we used this book which is basically just a framework for phasing out the amount of physical contact / immediate presence needed for your kid to sleep.

And you don't need half of the baby-related poo poo the internet thinks you need, if even that much.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Kids are the best, especially now that mine is old enough to refer to the GMC as her truck (and demand to sit in it!).

The obvious thing to do is have her pretend to work on it with you when you're doing something on it. :kimchi:

EDIT: And the place that was going to hire me may hire someone else instead if my replacement social security card doesn't get here before they find one which is a slim possibility seeing as he's interviewing someone tomorrow. I knew there had to be a kick in the nads coming along somewhere when more than 2 things went my way.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 5, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah we were married for 10 years, but the only time that my ex wife wanted to screw twice in the same night was when she was 8 months pregnant. Definitely a top 10 night for me.

Here's hoping you're in for a grown up treat before the baby comes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, found a house.

4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2500 sqft with a massive garage. It's a little more square footage than we want/need, but it's the right price in the right location with the right 'wants'. Needs some updating, but nothing too major. Got a guy waffling back and forth on my house. I am so drat tempted to put in an offer on the house we want and rent our current house.

Gotta convince the wife this is a good idea.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Tide posted:

Do NOT let them sleep in the bed with you or even bring a bassonett into the bedroom. It will be the biggest mistake you ever make. Give them their own room, their own bed, let it be their space. You (or your wife) may think it's cute and sweet and awwww or whatever, but every single person I know that's let their baby/toddler/kid sleep in their bed with them can't get them out, even at 7 or 8 years old. They'll get out of their bed in the middle of the night and come get in yours.

My 4 year old comes into our room every night at ~3 AM and crawls into the middle of our bed and I love it :3: She does kick the poo poo out of my wife all night though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Selling paperwork for the house has come through already, no chain, funding in place, solicitors already appointed. poo poo, this could be done in mere weeks :rolleyes:

Just need to get the bank to confirm the mortgage offer and I can start putting offers in. The seller for the house I'm most interested in isn't doing viewings this weekend. Just give the keys to the agent damnit.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tide posted:

Agree, PPD is a very real thing. Got my wife pretty hard as well and she's one of the most positive, bubbly people you'll ever meet.

My god, yes. One of my best friends had a baby in December, and oh my god watching her get hit with PPD was insane. She was already a very high-anxiety person and prone to bouts of depression, but it hit her like a metric ton of bricks. And she has very little in terms of local support since she just moved last year.

It didn't help that her milk didn't come in pretty much at all, and that made her feel like a failure of a parent (she's a health nut and breastfeeding was super-important to her). In her mind, whenever she was giving him formula, she was poisoning him or at the least handicapping him from what he could have been. It's a difficult thing to talk reason into somebody going through that.

Tide posted:

Last thing on baby chat from me:

Also this. We were in a small two-bedroom apartment for awhile. The crib was in our bedroom and our older child's bedroom was mostly a toy/play room and she slept in our bed. It took goddamn forever to get her out of our room. And even now she sleeps with her light and her TV on because she's terrified of the dark.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 5, 2015

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I literally cannot get enough of listening to cheapskates bitching about their cheapskate fixes exploding fantastically on them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryhampster posted:

Gentlemen (and lady or two) I suppose now is as good a time as any. My wife has peed on things.

We're due early August with our first. The last 2 months have been a rollercoaster of emotions and I've lost a shitload of hair. Very excited for what 2015 is bringing us.

Those of you who have me on facebook, please don't mention anything. Haven't gone public with everyone yet.

Congratulations on the angry baby hampster :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

My parents used nyquil on my pacifier. *shrug*

Where's your avatar about being abused or mentioning your dick in the last 5 minutes you are dead?

Congrats angeyhampster!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Congrats angryhampster!

Thanks for the kind sentiments about my cat-he got plenty of sunbeams and snuggle time with my family before we gave the vet the go-ahead to put him down. Turns out he had a huge tumor on one of his kidneys that my mom and dad hadn't noticed until this week, and there was nothing we could have done about it because of his age.

Godspeed little guy.

I was a mess yesterday but I'm glad I was able to take the time off work and be there with him.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Sorry about your cat. Doesn't seem like a good time for the pets of AI right now.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Congratulations angryhampster!

I've picked up my first pet today, say hi to Pliskin!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't blame us when he escapes, then.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

freelop posted:

Your cat looks sick

Realized today my garage door is 16' wide not 14'. That is going to open up more options for where to place the lift :toot: Triple checked but my ceilings are still 114".

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Im A Maj on the facebook btw, thanks A high for adding me.

freelop posted:

Nice snake.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

freelop posted:

Ball Python? I used to have a few growing up, they're incredibly awesome and super friendly. Mine would curl around my arm and just chill, they were the best pets :3:

Also, friend is throwing a birthday party this weekend and has posted a fairly lengthy list of rules. Highlights include bits such as "I didn't invite you guys to flirt around with everybody." and "You can wear what you like! Just don't be stripping all the way down to your underwear and expect people not to get offended. You can wear skimpy, slutty clothing if you wish, just make sure you are covered." As a result, i'm gonna bring some :420: and smoke out a few friends in my car before going in, because I can only imagine how this one is gonna go. Should be an interesting night. He's also expecting me to bring all my camera gear and shoot photos, which kinda defeats the purpose of me going to a party so I can hang out and socialize :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Also this. We were in a small two-bedroom apartment for awhile. The crib was in our bedroom and our older child's bedroom was mostly a toy/play room and she slept in our bed. It took goddamn forever to get her out of our room. And even now she sleeps with her light and her TV on because she's terrified of the dark.

Can't wait to explain this to my wife when we have kids... she is a cuddling machine. Hopefully I can convince her that it's best if they sleep in their own rooms.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

took my old fairings and made some wall art for the new apartment

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yamaha red/white is the best motorcycle color scheme.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fucknag posted:

Well, the 3 bps transfer rate on the audio probably doesn't help.

Here's one with better sound quality, plus some commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_S2uJwpbn4

It's definitely got a growl to it.

cursedshitbox posted:

took my old fairings and made some wall art for the new apartment

Oooo, slat-wall. I'm kind of jealous.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

T1g4h posted:

"I didn't invite you guys to flirt around with everybody." and "You can wear what you like! Just don't be stripping all the way down to your underwear and expect people not to get offended. You can wear skimpy, slutty clothing if you wish, just make sure you are covered."

Your friend sounds like they'd be a ton of fun to have at a party.

Oh wait...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Oooo, slat-wall. I'm kind of jealous.

Garage is TITS. dedicated sub-panel with 220 right there. enough lights mccarran gets pissed if we leave the door open at night, sealed floor so the jeep doesn't stain the cement.

annnnd we're moving out in a week.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Aaaand right when I get my tax return, truck decides it doesn't want to start again. rear end in a top hat!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

T1g4h posted:

He's also expecting me to bring all my camera gear and shoot photos, which kinda defeats the purpose of me going to a party so I can hang out and socialize :v:

Sounds like a pretty lovely friend, to be honest. Tell him your rate is $150/hr with a minimum of 2 hours and that he doesn't get to keep the raw files afterwards, but he can buy 8x10 prints for $30 a piece.

Congratubaby to Angryhampster, we're 20 months in on the first one and cooking the second right now, due on the 8/8. Seconding/thirding/whatevering the advice to not bring them to bed with you. It seems like you're getting a bit more sleep in the short-term but we know people who have children the same age as our first, and they can spend up to 3 hours some nights getting them to sleep. We go dinner>bath>story>bottle>bed and she sleeps 13-14 hours a night and very rarely stirs until 8am the next day.

We also know people who bathe their baby before dinner. I cannot imagine cleaning a baby up just so that they can smoosh chicken pot pie into their hair.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm trying to help a friend buy her first car since shes lived in NY and never had one.

After looking at a ton of trash thats way too much money, I ask about my friends GF's car. They say yeah we'll sell it, here is the short list it needs XYZ and around 3k.

loving AWESOME.

Now I'm being told they want 4250... GET THE gently caress OUT.

I am beyond pissed. This is someone whose car I've worked on in 6 degree loving weather in January and asked for NOTHING and now I'm getting bullshit games with this. I am so loving tired of saving everyone's rear end but when it comes time to do me a solid people start playing games.

I ought to send a loving invoice for the past work done JFC.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just stop doing poo poo for them, gently caress that. Raising the price on someone is ridiculous especially after fixing their poo poo for free.

Or next time they ask for help, say it's free and then raise the price by $1250 when they show up.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I want etrade to put out my tax documents already so I can file my taxes. They're a pain in the rear end.

My tax return is going to wedding expenses.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

Just stop doing poo poo for them, gently caress that. Raising the price on someone is ridiculous especially after fixing their poo poo for free.

Or next time they ask for help, say it's free and then raise the price by $1250 when they show up.

That's the plan. Oh you want your other rocker done and help with your motor reseal. Here is my hourly rate and an invoice for the past work go choke on a dick.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh, NOW it starts, when I don't have to be at work in 30 minutes. Why the gently caress did I buy a Ford?

Edit: Maybe cars do have feelings, and it got the point when I left it in the middle of the cul-de-sac where it died all day?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

A friend in need, is a giant pain in the rear end!

and no good deed goes un hosed.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I did a good deed, working on a buddies car that was throwing a cylinder misfire code and some other poo poo. Its a FWD v6, so the back cylinder bank is unreachable without removing the intake manifold, which we did in the process of putting in new plugs and swapping the coils from back to front, under the assumption that if the coil was bad the fault would move to a front cylinder. Everything was good, no codes for 2 weeks.

Now its throwing another cylinder misfire code. On the same bank (rear, the bitch to get to). So either the first misfire went away, and a new one showed up...or I hosed up and moved the bad coil to another cylinder in the same bank.

Either way, time to dig back into that piece of poo poo in sub-freezing weather. Blech. Also his car has a vague burning oil smell to it, which could be attributed to his PCV being gummed solid for a while and blowing back oil into his intake. Or he's got bad piston rings and its burning oil?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just tried to order a 22oz beer and got told it's alcohol content was too high, and they only sell it in pints.

But you can buy a 24oz long island.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can't wait to explain this to my wife when we have kids... she is a cuddling machine. Hopefully I can convince her that it's best if they sleep in their own rooms.

Sounds like you already lost on that one.

Waking up with my four year old in my bed would not be so bad if he did not like to sleep perpendicular to me or my wife. The easy solution was for one of to sleep in the middle (which amazingly did not lead to a temper tantrum at 4am.)

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I owe some money to the Feds but I'm getting a refund from the state so I'm putting that into a savings account and using the time between now and April to save up the difference. It's not ideal but I'm glad I found out about it far enough in advance that I could save for it instead of having to shell out the entire sum at the last minute.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Should be an interesting night. He's also expecting me to bring all my camera gear and shoot photos, which kinda defeats the purpose of me going to a party so I can hang out and socialize :v:

One of the reasons I got of doing photography for a living right there. Also I got tired of carrying my camera everywhere and not actually enjoying the moment instead of constantly looking through the lens.

cursedshitbox posted:

A friend in need, is a giant pain in the rear end!

and no good deed goes un hosed.

Jim Morrison said it best,

I need a brand new friend that doesn't bother me
I need a brand new friend that doesn't trouble me
I need someone that doesn't need me

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

iwentdoodie posted:

Just tried to order a 22oz beer and got told it's alcohol content was too high, and they only sell it in pints.

But you can buy a 24oz long island.

Everyone knows hard liquor doesn't get you drunk. It's the beer you have to watch out for.

EDIT: also, congratulations angryhampster on the baby!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

freelop posted:

This is Double Decker Soul Wrecker. Got him at about 14" long (seriously, username had nothing to do with it) and he's currently in the neighborhood of about 42-44". About to shed apparently so I just popped him out for the picture and put him back right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

leica posted:

One of the reasons I got of doing photography for a living right there. Also I got tired of carrying my camera everywhere and not actually enjoying the moment instead of constantly looking through the lens.

Jim Morrison said it best,

I need a brand new friend that doesn't bother me
I need a brand new friend that doesn't trouble me
I need someone that doesn't need me

I always though Placebo said it best

Anyways I bought a thing

It's like driving a loving school bus until the boost finally kicks in then it'll do 85 on the highway all day no problem

I have a massive headache and I think it's from diesel fumes

Pics tomorrow when I don't feel like poo poo

• Locked thread