Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've considered that. The problem is that I can't get both WPIX (cw) and NBC with the same antenna position so every in Tuesdays I record parks and Rec and Wednesdays in have to tune in Arrow.

Its a horrible problem that makes me want to eat a bullet.

Get a different antenna? get a rotator? Setup dual antennas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

BigFactory posted:

Parks and Rec hasn't been good for like 3 seasons, and Arrow is a comic book TV show, right? I think "read a book" is the correct solution to your problem.

I thought this thread was how to watch TV, not read a book.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I thought this thread was how to watch TV, not read a book.

no, but you see he doesn't want to watch the right TV and it's very important that everyone know that

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

no, but you see he doesn't want to watch the right TV and it's very important that everyone know that

Cutting cable is about making sacrifices. The easiest sacrifice is giving up watching bad network TV when it airs.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

BigFactory posted:

Cutting cable is about making sacrifices. The easiest sacrifice is giving up watching bad network TV when it airs.

*laughtrack*

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BigFactory posted:

Parks and Rec hasn't been good for like 3 seasons, and Arrow is a comic book TV show, right? I think "read a book" is the correct solution to your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my sling tv invite, the stream quality is very good. I'm just waiting patiently for a fire tv application, you cannot sideload the android app.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Just got my sling tv invite, the stream quality is very good. I'm just waiting patiently for a fire tv application, you cannot sideload the android app.

I'm sitting on my invite until the app gets released. I want to test the full 7 days before putting down :20bux:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got my invite as well. So far so good, but it will be interesting to see if we tolerate commercials for live TV again.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has it ever been said whether you had to pay for the sling tv if you already have a DISH account? Could this be used as a replacement for another set top box/DVR?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has it ever been said whether you had to pay for the sling tv if you already have a DISH account? Could this be used as a replacement for another set top box/DVR?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay for it. You could use this as a replacement, but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a Joey or another DVR, pay the $7 month fee and get more channels if you plan on keeping Dish?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It's a standalone service.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's a standalone service.

Gotcha. If they offered it for free in connection with a Dish account, I could use my Roku and all of its channels in addition to this and I would be able to lower equipment fees.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My 7 days is almost up and I am cancelling. I just can't get over the fact I'm paying almost 3 times as DirecTV on a per channel basis. 15 channels for $20 is nuts. Maybe for 15 channels I watch the most of but there is maybe 4 that I would watch with any regularity and that includes Disney for the kids.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jabro posted:

My 7 days is almost up and I am cancelling. I just can't get over the fact I'm paying almost 3 times as DirecTV on a per channel basis. 15 channels for $20 is nuts. Maybe for 15 channels I watch the most of but there is maybe 4 that I would watch with any regularity and that includes Disney for the kids.

The price really isn't that bad for what you get. They are basically giving you the most expensive channels. ESPN + ESPN2 alone costs around $7 a sub

This highlights a legit problem with a la carte tv and the general public. They think ohh 400 channels divided by $100 a month is how much it will cost per channel, then they pick the channels they want and its still $20 or $30/m

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 9, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don Lapre posted:

The price really isn't that bad for what you get. They are basically giving you the most expensive channels. ESPN + ESPN2 alone costs around $7 a sub

This highlights a legit problem with a la carte tv and the general public. They think ohh 400 channels divided by $100 a month is how much it will cost per channel, then they pick the channels they want and its still $20 or $30/m

So you agree with me that $20 for 15 channels I would actually watch isn't bad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Well if you take it a step farther, when people see the cost of their favorite channels and decide to skip them that would put pressure to lower the channel price. As it stands, ESPN can charge whatever they think they can get away with people people don't have a clue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

edit: none of what follows should be construed as a recommendation that people pirate content, but it's silly as poo poo not to at least acknowledge the role that it's playing in shaping the post-cable industry. Please don't probate me for simply observing that something exists.

On the other hand I'd happily pay $5 or even $10 a month for a channel I watch waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before I'll pay $20-30/month for 400 channels of which I watch maybe 3 or 4.

$15 a month for an ESPN only package (let's assume for the sake of arguing it's ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU) would actually be pretty in line with what a lot of the single sports are charging for online access to games. I forget the exact amounts right now, but we pay something like $120/yr for MLB.tv and I remember paying something similar-ish to get a good package of college basketball during a year we spent in Germany.

Sports are pretty much where they're going to have to make their money when it comes to actual a la carte channels. At this point it's damned near the only thing that people have a compelling reason to watch live any more, barring (maybe) news channels - and even those are pretty well duplicated by news websites.

The rough reality (for broadcasters at least) is that in a world with the infrastructure and technical capability for on-demand streaming (not to mention almost trivially easy to find and acquire :filez: ) curated channels that broadcast on a fixed schedule are dying and really don't have a compelling argument to exist any more. All the various powers that be that profit from that model are going to kick and scream but the quicker they figure out how to monetize on-demand in a way that is cheap and easy enough for people to not just pirate the content, the more money they will make in the long term.

We aren't there yet. It took about a decade for the music industry to realize that easily downloadable (and later streamable) audio wasn't going to go away no matter how much they wished it was, but here we are now. When is the last time most casual music consumers even saw a full physical album?

TV will sort itself out eventually. Right now we're really just in the late 'iPod era' to further extend my music analogy. if you don't give two shits about IP rights, piracy, DRM, etc. it's pretty trivial to live 100% cable free as long as you aren't huge into sports. The fact that the current $20/month package includes ESPN is huge, because it tears down that final, last barrier and without having to deal with the annoyances of shady 3rd party streaming of live broadcasts. If you're willing to play fast and loose with copywright law it's now trivial to go totally cable free without missing anything. The next move is for content providers to find a way to sell their products cheap enough that people won't take the free albeit illegal route.

I'm optimistic about it because we're starting to see that. HBO's seems to finally have seen the writing on the wall, probably because it's shows routinely generate the largest, fastest growing torrents over on the :filez: end of the universe.

To my mind the real question is how the various content providers are going to monetize this. On demand online might be a near inevitability at this stage, but how it's executed certainly isn't.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I hate cable.

I'm looking at a $215 bill now after my first year.. phone and 30mb internet (work from home) and the massive tv package with hbo/showtime/cinemax in there as well. I just talked with someone about cutting that down. If the TV pack went down to standard instead of the jacked up one I have, I 'lose my promotional rate' and the price actually goes UP. If I cut tv entirely, internet goes up to 85 bucks, phone to 48, and with taxes and poo poo my bill goes down to about 146.. seriously?

I'm thinking it's unfortunately my only internet option, so I might have to deal with 85 for that, maybe 20ish for a vonage or similar alternative for the phone, and then hulu/netflix/sling+disney would be um.. 45 bucks there.. Jesus I'm still looking at 150 bucks :(

I hate cable.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

glug posted:

I hate cable.

I'm looking at a $215 bill now after my first year.. phone and 30mb internet (work from home) and the massive tv package with hbo/showtime/cinemax in there as well. I just talked with someone about cutting that down. If the TV pack went down to standard instead of the jacked up one I have, I 'lose my promotional rate' and the price actually goes UP. If I cut tv entirely, internet goes up to 85 bucks, phone to 48, and with taxes and poo poo my bill goes down to about 146.. seriously?

I'm thinking it's unfortunately my only internet option, so I might have to deal with 85 for that, maybe 20ish for a vonage or similar alternative for the phone, and then hulu/netflix/sling+disney would be um.. 45 bucks there.. Jesus I'm still looking at 150 bucks :(

I hate cable.

just get a google voice number and use hangouts for phone

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's an interesting thought: in Ars' review of SlingTV, the review said this:

Ars posted:

Here's the thing—Millennials and cord cutters alike don't want channels, they want shows.

So is there a business model where channels just go away and we pay for individual shows?

On some level, I agree with this statement. I'm not really interested in all the bullshit a lot of networks throw up. I don't care that FX is playing a bunch of Marvel movies today. I'm really interested, however, in the newest episode of Justified. Same could go for AMC and their premier shows. And the last time our household cut the cord, this is kinda what we did for shows that weren't up immediately on Hulu. We paid for a season pass on iTunes and got to watch individual shows the next day.

But this isn't possible without completely blowing up the current studio system, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thwomp posted:

But this isn't possible without completely blowing up the current studio system, right?

Nah, the studios would be fine. poo poo, they'd probably come out ahead.

What is really challenged by all this is the current distribution system. Comcast et al make a poo poo ton of money right now by being the middle man that brings you the content. They're the ones that really need to rethink how they're going to be making money in the next 50 years. It's part of the reason why they're so hot on bundling internet and cable subscriptions - the last thing they want is just to become a glorified utility provider, selling you the bandwidth that you use to get your entertainment directly from the contend producers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlingTV just added AMC to their core service

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, I signed up for a Sling TV trial, and there's no way it could actually replace cable for me unless they can beef up their on demand content, or make a cloud based DVR or something.

There is nothing we actually watch live, it's all DVRd or downloaded. If buying season passes on iTunes/Amazon would actually save me money for the shows I care about, I'd do that instead, but right now cable is cheaper.

Thwomp posted:

[url=http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/sling-tv-review-do-cord-cutters-and-cord-nevers-even-want-live-tv/]

So is there a business model where channels just go away and we pay for individual shows?

On some level, I agree with this statement. I'm not really interested in all the bullshit a lot of networks throw up. I don't care that FX is playing a bunch of Marvel movies today. I'm really interested, however, in the newest episode of Justified. Same could go for AMC and their premier shows. And the last time our household cut the cord, this is kinda what we did for shows that weren't up immediately on Hulu. We paid for a season pass on iTunes and got to watch individual shows the next day.

Yeah, pretty much this I guess.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 9, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sling TV really seems to be aimed at college students that want a cheap way to watch live channels over a true replacement for cable/satellite. I can't see it being competitive until they allow, at least, 2 streams at the same time.

(But I'm hoping they get TCM eventually)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

This is great, BBCA and IFC are also mentioned.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thwomp posted:

[url=http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/sling-tv-review-do-cord-cutters-and-cord-nevers-even-want-live-tv/]

Except for the model now where it costs like $50 for a season of shows. If you watch a handful of shows regularly that's a ridiculous cost. I watch maybe seven shows regularly, that'd be $350 for one season of programming and only that programming. Maybe I'm trying to cheap out here, but that's not a good value.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Except for the model now where it costs like $50 for a season of shows. If you watch a handful of shows regularly that's a ridiculous cost. I watch maybe seven shows regularly, that'd be $350 for one season of programming and only that programming. Maybe I'm trying to cheap out here, but that's not a good value.

Well the current pricing scheme is poo poo. We only made it work because a number of our shows could all be watched on Hulu. The iTunes option was a last resort.

But still, how much do you pay for a cable package a month (plus equipment, fees, and DVRs)? You probably come out ahead given that you could probably get a season pass or two a month for the same cost as your monthly cable bill.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thwomp posted:

Well the current pricing scheme is poo poo. We only made it work because a number of our shows could all be watched on Hulu. The iTunes option was a last resort.

But still, how much do you pay for a cable package a month (plus equipment, fees, and DVRs)? You probably come out ahead given that you could probably get a season pass or two a month for the same cost as your monthly cable bill.

I don't have cable. I only have internet, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I use Bing Rewards to get my Hulu monthly subs. I also have an antenna and a DVR, so I can pretty much watch whatever I want. I have pretty much everything I need, since I don't watch sports. That setup does pretty well, since I can get everything I want.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If they get this thing into the XBox One OneGuide (and MS adds support for the HDHomerun somewhere other than Media Player), I'm basically all set. Hell, I'd get it if they just added Chromecast support.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I don't have cable. I only have internet, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I use Bing Rewards to get my Hulu monthly subs. I also have an antenna and a DVR, so I can pretty much watch whatever I want. I have pretty much everything I need, since I don't watch sports. That setup does pretty well, since I can get everything I want.

Also rocking a similar setup, with a Plex server thrown in for good measure. I also subscribe to NHL Gamecenter Live and NFL Gamepass, since those are the only two sports I care about anyway.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

sanchez posted:

This is great, BBCA and IFC are also mentioned.

Oh wow, ok. I think its time I give Dish a call, and tell them to suck it.

edit: wait i've read you can't pause or rewind? Also how the hell do you watch it on PC? I'm at work and don't see a way. This trial may be a short one.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 9, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Oh wow, ok. I think its time I give Dish a call, and tell them to suck it.

edit: wait i've read you can't pause or rewind? Also how the hell do you watch it on PC? I'm at work and don't see a way. This trial may be a short one.

There is an app to download I'm guessing the app has some DRM prevent rebroadcasting

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Changing the subject a bit, does anyone have a recommendation for live-tv (pause and 30 second skip) capable DVR ... without a monthly fee? I'm trying to avoid trading cable fees for TIVO fees.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

gaj70 posted:

Changing the subject a bit, does anyone have a recommendation for live-tv (pause and 30 second skip) capable DVR ... without a monthly fee? I'm trying to avoid trading cable fees for TIVO fees.

Windows pc with a tv tuner.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Windows pc with a tv tuner.

Is there a reason a WMC won't pick up the same channels a TV plugged into the same coax drop picks up fine? I have cable internet and someone may have forgotten to put a filter on my drop... Coworkers with the same cableco internet-only get locals and that's it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

Is there a reason a WMC won't pick up the same channels a TV plugged into the same coax drop picks up fine? I have cable internet and someone may have forgotten to put a filter on my drop... Coworkers with the same cableco internet-only get locals and that's it.

It should pickup the same channels

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hmm ok, thanks. may need to look into a new card. The one I've got was $25 in 2007ish on woot. Remember when woot had cool poo poo?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

hmm ok, thanks. may need to look into a new card. The one I've got was $25 in 2007ish on woot. Remember when woot had cool poo poo?

Get an hdhomerun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Get an hdhomerun

This is the right answer.