Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lincoln posted:

Settle down, Tiny -- you're very upset and you probably need to take a breather.

I didn't type a yo mamma joke. It's pretty clear I was responding to a common sentiment in marketing circles: that the younger generation is somehow unreachable. Hey look, I even said I wasn't responding to someone specifically, just speaking.

Anyway, advertising is ubiquitous and largely passive. We've had a lot of success simply plastering our logo where it'll be seen on mobile devices. Oftentimes no message, just the brand. And whatever "named" generation comes after the Millenials will probably respond to a completely different delivery system. Or message. Or both. Who knows? Regardless, we'll be ready for them. There's too much money involved for us to not know what's going to work before we really need to know.

The ones that figure it out first never share.

Yeah but like, the one thing the improved metrics of modern media have taught us is that advertising is much less effective than everybody pretends it is. (Which is NOT the same thing as saying it isn't effective at all, illiterates). And don't try to be all "oh I work in the industry, proprietary info dohoho our secret numbers say that's not true" because it's a matter of extreme professional significance to me to know when the advertising bubble's going to pop, and it is a question of when, not if.

Especially since all the advertising in the world isn't going to fix the fact that we've got a generation entering their prime buying power years who can't afford to purchase even half as much as their parents did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Coca-Cola had a twitter it ran where you would send it hateful messages add #makeithappy and it would make a "feel good image" out of the text. Sounds misguided but innocuous right? Welp, Gawker decided to test if it had any limits to what it would repost after seeing an image made out of the infamous 14 words and it turns out Cokes twitter will make pictures out of line by line tweets of Mein Kampf. It has, of course, since been pulled.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

(Which is NOT the same thing as saying it isn't effective at all, illiterates).

I get that you're riled up, but dude/dudette, insulting the very people you're trying to sway toward your way of thinking isn't a very good method of going about it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The trick to advertising to "millenials" is to get them to do their own advertising. If you have a distinctive or notable product, awareness can spread like wildfire through social media etc. The key is making the product worth talking about, giving it a hook, and starting the fire, so to speak, on the internet. Rather than bombarding the audience through traditional means, this way they will not feel like they are being sold to, but actually part of a trend they will want to buy into.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious what company Lincoln work for. Can you divulge that?

Also Tiny Brontosaurus, its wrong to say Millenials are immune to advertising. I don't kmow why you would say that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Also Tiny Brontosaurus, its wrong to say Millenials are immune to advertising. I don't kmow why you would say that.

2/10 poor technique too obvious.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I get that you're riled up, but dude/dudette, insulting the very people you're trying to sway toward your way of thinking isn't a very good method of going about it.

I'm not trying to "sway" anybody, I was having a nice interesting conversation with intelligent people making good points, and then the moron brigade showed up. I am not interested in revising my posts to entice the moron brigade into staying.

Wandle Cax posted:

The trick to advertising to "millenials" is to get them to do their own advertising. If you have a distinctive or notable product, awareness can spread like wildfire through social media etc. The key is making the product worth talking about, giving it a hook, and starting the fire, so to speak, on the internet. Rather than bombarding the audience through traditional means, this way they will not feel like they are being sold to, but actually part of a trend they will want to buy into.
Sure, it's great when that works, but millennials and their :siren:media literacy:siren: mean they're really sensitive to artificial attempts at virality, and there's still the problem that our economy depends on people buying a lot of products that never really have much of a shot of being fun to "engage with the brand," like insurance and dryer sheets and printer ink. Right now it's fine because we've still got the boomers to pick up the slack there, but I honestly don't know what the advertising landscape is going to look like when today's 25-year-olds are 55.

Tiny Brontosaurus has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Feb 6, 2015

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Wandle Cax posted:

This is definitely true to a certain extent. Just look at the prevalence of Shoedazzle/Fabletics/etc. services that plaster themselves all over social media promising hip new fashions for a bargain price when all they're doing is using the old Columbia House business model to bilk people out of their cash when they inevitably forget to check their subscriptions at the first of the month.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Not exactly feasible for, say, Bariatric Surgery or $10,000+ Koi Fish* or Retirement Planning. What is and isn't a socially relatable or transferable message is often difficult to discern and hard to motivate. Obviously, companies absolutely should design products that speak to their customer needs but in many cases everyone is doing that.

Also I really feel like its important to stress Millennial is a garbage term used in advertising exclusively when talking to people who ask questions like "but if we target based on people who have already bought our product everyone we'll reach won't buy one since they already have it!"

*There is actually a rather, to me at least, absurd amount of competition in this space.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wandle Cax posted:

The finest minds money can buy are hard at work this very minute to figure out how to foster sincere social media discussions about products without the participants feeling pandered to/tricked/forced/etc. It's a goddamn goldmine, but some are having luck cracking the code. At least they've made some progress since "I really want a Sony PSP™ for Christmas!"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I love the fits and starts to getting through to people with social media though, I hope it lasts forever. Like the memory of Pearl Harbor.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
If I was a marketer, I'd just target moms. In light of the whole measles thing, they seem easy enough to cozy up to in the same way it's easy to motivate douchebags with trucks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jidohanbaiki posted:

If I was a marketer, I'd just target moms. In light of the whole measles thing, they seem easy enough to cozy up to in the same way it's easy to motivate douchebags with trucks.

They do, that's literally the most lucrative demo for a whole swath of products, real talk. And not just stereotypical susie homemaker poo poo either.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Barudak posted:

So Coca-Cola had a twitter it ran where you would send it hateful messages add #makeithappy and it would make a "feel good image" out of the text. Sounds misguided but innocuous right? Welp, Gawker decided to test if it had any limits to what it would repost after seeing an image made out of the infamous 14 words and it turns out Cokes twitter will make pictures out of line by line tweets of Mein Kampf. It has, of course, since been pulled.

I completely missed this. The amount of disconnect Coke's marketing has to have in order not to anticipate this sort of misuse is impressive. More than one person in this thread has said "I'm in marketing" - could you all suggest why this level of disconnect occurs, especially in gigantic businesses that stand to lose a ton of money? Is it really some clueless higher-up forcing their idea and drat the consequences?

Coke thought they could solve internet trolling with a bot. :doh:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I completely missed this. The amount of disconnect Coke's marketing has to have in order not to anticipate this sort of misuse is impressive. More than one person in this thread has said "I'm in marketing" - could you all suggest why this level of disconnect occurs, especially in gigantic businesses that stand to lose a ton of money? Is it really some clueless higher-up forcing their idea and drat the consequences?

Coke thought they could solve internet trolling with a bot. :doh:

Could be one of two things:
1. Somebody who doesn't quite "get" internet culture just shouting BRAND INTERACTION! VIRAL! HASHTAG! until they get their way
2. Them knowing full well that it'll go badly, and relying on the trainwreck appeal to reach us too-cool kids. Bet you couldn't tell me what Coke's last ad campaign before this one was

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My guess is they asked the coder "hey do you think this will work" and the coder said "yeah totally guys okay I'm going to gently caress off for lunch", and they were stupid enough to believe him.

He's probably fired.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

They do, that's literally the most lucrative demo for a whole swath of products, real talk. And not just stereotypical susie homemaker poo poo either.

Yeah, without getting into details that could get me in trouble, "moms" is a super popular segment to add to just about any campaign's targeting string.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Interestingly, douchebags with trucks is actually not all that lucrative a demo, but it's one purse-string holders want to link themselves to anyway, because it's personally important to them to have a "manly" brand. There's a whole ton of media that has more female consumers than male, or is growing in that direction, yet is still marketed solely in big-swingin' dick style because we don't make GIRL shows, we're BOYS.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.

I would never go by anything the Wall Street Journal says. Ever. This is an image from an article about how tax increases will affect :airquote:everyone:airquote:.

Look how sad and downtrodden they all are :(

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Alouicious posted:

ugh fukkin slutsboots mirite bro

joshtothemaxx posted:

There's this company HSTRY that tries to sell really basic web apps that make interactive timelines easily. Twitter is another place they offer help for, suggesting many ways to use the medium to teach. They market to secondary educators, museums, and lazy public historians.

To "kick off" black history month, HSTRY thought it would be a great idea to "live tweet" the murder/lynching of Emmett Till, complete with brutal death photos, racial slurs, and from the perspective of Till's uncle... So there's a lot of borderline racist representations of the Till family in there. Because the uncle didn't leave a journal, they were just making up poo poo he may have said.

HSTRY ignored pretty heavy backlash, largely from African Americans, before finally throwing up an apology on their website a few hours later.

Oh yeah, and their material was largely plagiarized from older articles. Oops.

That is really bad and their twitter is funny right now. Seriously though, a live tweet of Emmett Till, what the hell?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

You Are A Elf posted:

Nigga I legit envy you if you don't make that face when you realize how much you're paying in taxes every year

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goons argue over the stupidest poo poo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

You Are A Elf posted:

I would never go by anything the Wall Street Journal says. Ever. This is an image from an article about how tax increases will affect :airquote:everyone:airquote:.

Ah, yes, the haggard single mom who makes $190k, truly she is the one who suffers

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There are a whole lot of dorks who are super eager to let people know "millennials aren't as smart as you think they are!!"

In the United States, at least, Millennials are the most highly educated generation ever.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-08/millennials-become-most-educated-u-s-age-group-due-to-recession

quote:

Some 34 percent of 25 to 29 year-olds held a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, professional degree or doctoral degree last year, a higher share than in any year in data going back to 1968, according to Matthew Chingos, a senior fellow at Brookings. The share will probably increase as millennials, usually described as those born after 1980, mature.

And taking into account that among first world countries, our education system is one of the worst I can only assume that our generation world-wide is even more well-educated.

I'm pretty sure that critical thinking is an important part of education and you need to be able to think critically to understand the effect media has on you. So I'm gonna make an off the wall assumption that Millennials are more keen to the tricks advertisers use, even if it doesn't change their consumption habits.

Rexicon1 has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Feb 6, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Rexicon1 posted:

There are a whole lot of dorks who are super eager to let people know "millennials aren't as smart as you think they are!!"

In the United States, at least, Millennials are the most highly educated generation ever.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-08/millennials-become-most-educated-u-s-age-group-due-to-recession

And taking into account that among first world countries, our education system is one of the worst I can only assume that our generation world-wide is even more well-educated.

I'm pretty sure that critical thinking is an important part of education and you need to be able to think critically to understand the effect media has on you. So I'm gonna make an off the wall assumption that Millennials are more keen to the tricks advertisers use, even if it doesn't change their consumption habits.

As a resident of PYF i am required to inform you that you're wrong and have a small penis

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

darkhand posted:

As a resident of PYF i am required to inform you that you're wrong and have a small penis

What kind of person characterizes themself as "a resident of PYF"

I bet a millennial would, that's who.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

What kind of person characterizes themself as "a resident of PYF"

I bet a millennial would, that's who.

SO you're not denying the small penis allegation?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

VendaGoat posted:

Some of us are pretty proud of that fact, actually.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Some of us are pretty proud of that fact, actually.

I do not keep a spreadsheet on posters, but are you not a woman?

If you are, I can understand the pride.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

objection, that's a leading question to my client, the small-penis haver.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

All joking aside, my penis could collapse a small building with its outrageous mass.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
lawyer with himself for a client has the tiniest penis.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He don't need no ad to tell him how to be a man. Him and his small penis run on Bud Weiser delivered in a Chevy Colorado chased by some Taco Bell steak before he washes his hands Dove Men's Dad Style.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
a lawyer who client he own penis, a shameful lawyer

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Doritos Taco Bell tacos is unappealing to me, but I don't doubt it was successful with the target demographic. Was it? What other mashups would work well?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jidohanbaiki posted:

Doritos Taco Bell tacos is unappealing to me, but I don't doubt it was successful with the target demographic. Was it? What other mashups would work well?

It did insanely well for them. I had to sit through a nearly 30 minute meeting about it. It was almost but not quite as bad as the meeting where a middle-aged white man in a suit had to hype me on Hub network and their upcoming show "She-Zow"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I hear the Dorito taco did gangbusters among the "self-destructive bitter fucker" demographic.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

It did insanely well for them. I had to sit through a nearly 30 minute meeting about it. It was almost but not quite as bad as the meeting where a middle-aged white man in a suit had to hype me on Hub network and their upcoming show "She-Zow"

They gotta knock it off with all of these new gender pronouns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rexicon1 posted:

I hear the Dorito taco did gangbusters among the "self-destructive bitter fucker" demographic.

Does Taco Bell have a second demographic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Does Taco Bell have a second demographic?

Giggly stoners?

Rexicon1 posted:

Interestingly while our primary and secondary ed are obviously awful, our higher ed is considered to be the best in the world. It's part of the reason why we get so many international students.

Tiny Brontosaurus has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Feb 6, 2015