Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey look. We get a second new Superman costume today in Action Comics #39 when Soups pictures himself at the end of the world.

e: I guess he's wearing hero mementos like a utility belt and the cosmic staff.

I didn't realise the flesh tone on his arm is a bit of fabric or something (is it aquaman's fish scale shirt?), which I don't like as much as the idea that he's been around so long his suit is worn and missing a sleeve. I like it a lot better than the other superman costume though, because every bit of the design says "I'm old and worn out and I'm on my own". He's got the scruffy hobo hair with bits of grey, the superman S is backed on black instead of a happier yellow, the boots have those fat cuffs that make it look more like a 50s/60s superhero costume, which fits the simple, earnest narrative the page is trying to tell, and the scraps he's added to his costume work as mementos of his friends and also to give a piecemeal, end-of-society survivalist look to him. Even the individual objects he's chosen to keep make sense in that regard - a staff he can walk with, a belt with pockets on, a bit of protective armour. A good costume.

Compare with the other superman costume, where he has obtained exciting new super energy powers, shown by slightly longer cuffs, and maybe a light up belt buckle that, when it is not lit up, does not look like it could light up. If it even lights up, and isn't a colouring error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SirDan3k posted:

It was based off child acrobat costumes and then, like a lot of things in comics, inertia kept it going after long the style and legality of having child acrobats had changed.

The shorty shorts died a lot farther back then most people remember, Time Drake put pants on the costume.

That makes sense, thanks.

While I'm grousing, though, Summertime Batman raised another thing that bugs me --- don't these women ever get cold? If it's a meta or Kryptonian or some demi-goddess like WW, I can just handwave it as "oh well, y'know, powers". Heck, even Black Canary and Elektra I can suspend disbelief because "super ninja training". But drat, Huntress has to be freezing in Gotham winters.

It'd be fun to see a good artist's take on seasonal costume shifts!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

While I'm grousing, though, Summertime Batman raised another thing that bugs me --- don't these women ever get cold? If it's a meta or Kryptonian or some demi-goddess like WW, I can just handwave it as "oh well, y'know, powers". Heck, even Black Canary and Elektra I can suspend disbelief because "super ninja training". But drat, Huntress has to be freezing in Gotham winters.

They could wear long johns under their costumes.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I can never, ever picture 'old' Superman without him mowing down Nazis and two Hitlers with a quad minigun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

qntm posted:

It boggled my mind that they never retconned those out in any of the Crises.

They did with the New 52.

It's...not great.

Actually, my favorite Robin costume has always been the one from Batman and Robin. I mean, aside from the nipples. I never noticed those when I was a kid. I am unperceptive.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

They did with the New 52.

It's...not great.

Haha oh wow someone got paid to come up with that.

Apart from Batgirl, has the New52 come up with any new costumes that are actually, y'know, good? The new Supes, Flash, GL, and so on are just more-boring versions of their Silver Age costumes, only with panel lines for some reason. That Robin is gently caress-ugly.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

DigitalRaven posted:

Apart from Batgirl, has the New52 come up with any new costumes that are actually, y'know, good? The new Supes, Flash, GL, and so on are just more-boring versions of their Silver Age costumes, only with panel lines for some reason. That Robin is gently caress-ugly.

Agreed, that Robin is terrible.

I liked New52's "costume" for Action Comics Supes when that rebooted... just a country boy wearing a t-shirt, jeans, pair of workboots. Fit nicely with the story and character. They even showed in one issue how he got all the shirts printed, nice touch.

I hated their Black Canary redesign. I don't know why, but her costume wasn't black anymore (and it wasn't a case of "well we gotta print some of it in blue" like you see in people with black hair and "blue" highlights because of printing limitations you had back in the day). That made no sense to me.

Here we go: note Katana's outfit is black. So Black Canary's is clearly blue, it's not a printing limitation. WTF, DC? She's not the Dark Teal Canary.

I did like that Ivy redesign, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I hated their Black Canary redesign.

I don't know why people redesign her costume, there has never been an example of that being an improvement.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
If she traded fishnets for scale mail and got a fancy hat, she could go around impersonating Barda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Katana's outfit is the real crime here.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I don't know why people redesign her costume, there has never been an example of that being an improvement.

Eh, I'll say that I like what they've done on Arrow. Sure, it's not classic Canary in fishnets, but as a woman who occasionally can't shut up her brain with the "IT'S COMICS" argument, especially seeing it live action vs in art, I gotta say it's more practical.

And less chilly. (It's pretty cold where I live, today, maybe that's why I'm harping on the bare skin thing. Wish I was Power Girl and gave no fucks about the heating bill. :( )

edit: that said, I really liked Canary's look in Smallville and oh god I just admitted to watching Smallville at some point

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 4, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Actually, my favorite Robin costume has always been the one from Batman and Robin. I mean, aside from the nipples. I never noticed those when I was a kid. I am unperceptive.

That's just red Nightwing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Katana's outfit is the real crime here.

Why do you disrespect glorious Katana's costume, baka gaijin?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I know! Nightwing was my idol as as kid.

It looks better there then the New 52 red Nightwing does, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I always thought that'd be neat too, I loved it when Nite Owl broke out his (ant)arctic gear at the end of Watchmen. Situational costume variants are cool, I even bought into the stuff they did in Superman TAS even though it was an obvious bid for more action figures.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

That makes it a good Robin outfit though, as Nightwing is just a knock-off Batman in the first place.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I always thought that'd be neat too, I loved it when Nite Owl broke out his (ant)arctic gear at the end of Watchmen. Situational costume variants are cool, I even bought into the stuff they did in Superman TAS even though it was an obvious bid for more action figures.

Right on! (and good reference on Nite Owl, that's a fantastic example of what exactly I want.) It doesn't have to be XTREEEME 90's Batman figures with 50 thousand outfits or anything, Just "okay, it's winter in Gotham, maybe Huntress should not have her belly exposed while swinging around highrises during inclement cold weather".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Apart from Batgirl, has the New52 come up with any new costumes that are actually, y'know, good?

I like Animal Man's

Adam + Alanna Strange

Orion

Red Lantern Guy Gardner w/ mustache

Justice League 3000 Batman and Superman

e: And Catwoman looks sharp these days.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 5, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Right on! (and good reference on Nite Owl, that's a fantastic example of what exactly I want.) It doesn't have to be XTREEEME 90's Batman figures with 50 thousand outfits or anything, Just "okay, it's winter in Gotham, maybe Huntress should not have her belly exposed while swinging around highrises during inclement cold weather".

I liked Batman's flight suit from Hush, and the diving suit from the Supergirl arc of Loeb's Superman/Batman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Animal Man's has an A stylized to the point where if I didn't know the only way of representing animal powers was a giant A on your chest I wouldn't know what it was other than arrows pointing to his heads, and it has that stupid Gambit cowl. Other than avoiding the blue/orange combination I'm not sure what it has to commend it for.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Ghostlight posted:

Animal Man's has an A stylized to the point where if I didn't know the only way of representing animal powers was a giant A on your chest I wouldn't know what it was other than arrows pointing to his heads, and it has that stupid Gambit cowl. Other than avoiding the blue/orange combination I'm not sure what it has to commend it for.

Buddy had Gambit's weird head thing years before Gambit was a thing though?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He did spend half the run in just the 'M' pants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

His old one didn't go all the way up to his hairline - it came across his eyes like a domino mask to accentuate his goggles.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree with all of these. The Animal Man one is hardest since it's the last recognizable to me, but the overall design is simple and catchy. The others are all pretty good evolutions of the original looks. Orion and Adam Strange really won in the reboot designs.

New Raven and the Starfire costumes have been pretty awful though, and that Robin up there is a literal joke that can't be real, because this is reality, and that thing doesn't belong in my reality.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

It was obscured by the goggles that made it look a lot less silly because both components form a mask. Without the goggles, it just looks dumb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

Orion and Adam Strange really won in the reboot designs.

Is Orion still flying around in that harness? Because man, that is one of the worst Kirby creations ever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. His lil space scooter rules, though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SirDan3k posted:

It was based off child acrobat costumes and then, like a lot of things in comics, inertia kept it going long after the style and legality of having child acrobats had changed.

The shorty shorts died a lot farther back then most people remember, Time Drake put pants on the costume.

And they were retconned onto New Teen Titans-era Dick during Nightwing: Year One (which many people ignore due to being dead in the middle of Devin Grayson's run).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Is Orion still flying around in that harness? Because man, that is one of the worst Kirby creations ever.

It's the best worst thing and I'd be sad if he didn't have it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

WickedHate posted:

This is basically a live action Batman Beyond costume, minus a helmet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anora posted:

This is basically a live action Batman Beyond costume, minus a helmet.

Another great point in it's favor, I never thought about it that way.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

:frogout:

RIDIN' DIRTY

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

New Raven and the Starfire costumes have been pretty awful though, and that Robin up there is a literal joke that can't be real, because this is reality, and that thing doesn't belong in my reality.

I laugh every time I see feathered Raven. Its so stupidly literal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, all the character redesigns in Wonder Woman were really good.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey look. We get a second new Superman costume today in Action Comics #39 when Soups pictures himself at the end of the world.

e: I guess he's wearing hero mementos like a utility belt and the cosmic staff.

Bullshit, that's not how Superman grows a beard!

I am so sorry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why does everyone in the future turn into the Maestro?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

I laugh every time I see feathered Raven. Its so stupidly literal.

This is probably her best look.

I also like her animated design.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Say Nothing posted:

This is probably her best look.

Isn't that just Psylocke with a cape and hood? I don't know which design came first, so it might be the other way around, but I always hated Psylocke's costume.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that just Psylocke with a cape and hood? I don't know which design came first, so it might be the other way around, but I always hated Psylocke's costume.

That's very close to Raven's original 1980 look, except in her original look a) she wore shoes, not thigh-high boots and b) the skirt bit wasn't so skimpy in front or cut so high over her hips. So I'd say it predates Psylocke by quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1980. Pretty much the same, except more skirt, less chest.

• Locked thread