Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BlitzBlast posted:

One Piece is about the same actually. East Blue (basically the equivalent of DB), Alabasta, Sky Island, Water 7, Thriller Bark, and I think it was on the setup for the big war at 519.

Conservatively, East Blue, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum, Alabasta, Mock Town, Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark and Shabondy Archipelago.

519 was partway through the Amazon Lily arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
So I broke down and preordered Xenoverse. Are halos going to be available headware? Because I'm thinking of playing as a risen Tupac, or if I can color a Majin dark enough B.I.G.

Basically the token black guy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Some Numbers posted:

Conservatively, East Blue, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum, Alabasta, Mock Town, Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark and Shabondy Archipelago.

519 was partway through the Amazon Lily arc.

Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum and Alabasta are all under the greater Baroque Works arc. Same with Mock Town for Skypiea. Davy Back is kind of a weird sidestory thing, but it sets up Robin's troubles so it's pretty much part of the whole Water 7 arc. Thriller Bark is similar, but it doesn't mix with the Summit War so it's just its own thing.

You may as well split Saiyans into Raditz - Nappa - Vegeta or Androids into Android Freeza - Androids 19/20 - Androids 17/18 if you want to define arcs like that.

EDIT: V And that's why I mentioned it was kind of an iffy thing!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 6, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BlitzBlast posted:

Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum and Alabasta are all under the greater Baroque Works arc. Same with Mock Town for Skypiea. Davy Back is kind of a weird sidestory thing, but it sets up Robin's troubles so it's pretty much part of the whole Water 7 arc. Thriller Bark is similar, but it doesn't mix with the Summit War so it's just its own thing.

You may as well split Saiyans into Raditz - Nappa - Vegeta or Androids into Android Freeza - Androids 19/20 - Androids 17/18 if you want to define arcs like that.

If you split up Androids and Cell you can split up the One Piece Islands for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just split up shonen arcs by villain

my favorite arc of one piece is the crushing realization that you couldn't save your own brother

KoB
May 1, 2009
My dad has more arcs than your dad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Android "arc" is actually kind of hilarious because it's just maximum Toriyama. Okay so Mecha Freeza will be the villa- no it's these two androi- oh wait those two are lame uh how about these two other androi- wait those are lame too ummmm crazy bug man?

Honestly I get the feeling people count it as its own thing just because it doesn't even have a main villain, just Toriyama seeing what stuck.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Toriyama planned from the begining the villians of the Android arc would be 19 and 20, never Freeza. He only kept changing it when they showed up because a former editor kept telling him they looked terrible. An old man and a clown, a couple of kids, a weird bug guy, like that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

17 was pretty good as a villain. Never really had that final boss status like Frieza, Cell, or Buu did, but "here's a disaffected teenage dickhead, also he has phenomenal cosmic powers" is a pretty good transitional bad guy.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I wonder what the difference between regular and Future Trunks timeline was that made the androids decide to murder everyone? Since right from the get-go they seem like they're just loving around and only really care about killing Goku, which is a big leap from the sort of sadism seen in the future timeline.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Goku was already dead in Future Trunks' timeline. Non-specific heart disease and all.

Although why they never revived him or considered it is a question worth asking, I guess. Like pretty sure Piccolo and Kami weren't fused or dead or anything at that point. After 17 and 18 went on a killing spree, sure. Or maybe I'm just forgetting something but from what I remember that whole "oh yeah we have these magic titular things that grant wishes!" was never addressed there.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 6, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because you can't be revived if you die of natural causes I think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dragonball rules don't make a lot of sense anyway. Didn't Kami lets Goku use it without the time limit once in Dragonball? You'd figure he could have done that poo poo again when Saiyan problems were going down.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

bowmore posted:

because you can't be revived if you die of natural causes I think

Didn't Guru get revived from a heart attack?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
His life was shorted by the stress of the invasion. The wish only got back the time he lost because of it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

MeccaPrime posted:

He died from ~despair~ induced by Freiza, or something. I seem to remember someone asking the Dragon if something that abstract counted.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Be a real dick move to die right now...

e; yeah I remember that now. Been a while since I watched non-TFS DBZ

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

While Drum happened during the Baroque Works saga, it's not thematically tied to it in any way except that Vivi is there.

Davy Back Fight is completely unconnected to anything - the fact that they met Aokiji there has nothing to do with the Foxy Pirates.

The others are harder to argue, but Little Garden and Water 7, while closely tied to Alabasta and Enies Lobby, are still completely distinct stories.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MeccaPrime posted:

The heart attack or whatever was induced from Freeza wrecking poo poo, so it wasn't considered "natural causes". It's kind of loving weird, yes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dragonatrix posted:

Goku was already dead in Future Trunks' timeline. Non-specific heart disease and all.

Although why they never revived him or considered it is a question worth asking, I guess. Like pretty sure Piccolo and Kami weren't fused or dead or anything at that point. After 17 and 18 went on a killing spree, sure. Or maybe I'm just forgetting something but from what I remember that whole "oh yeah we have these magic titular things that grant wishes!" was never addressed there.

When did Dende take over as Guardian? If it was before that point, Goku had already been revived by the Earth Dragon Balls before. I think the original Kami set had a one death per person thing.

My assumption is that Gero knew Goku died because of his fly-spies and decided that "Hey, I've got these swanky Death-Bots ready to go, and 16 is useless because he's programmed against Goku specifically.. Let me make a few tweaks and take over the world!" And then they murder him first, of course..

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

While Drum happened during the Baroque Works saga, it's not thematically tied to it in any way except that Vivi is there.

It's a sidestory, yes, but it's a sidestory during the Baroque Works saga. You don't get to say "Okay so this is Baroque Works part 1 and part 2, with this one thing in between", it's just squished into one big thing.

They go to Drum because of Little Garden anyways, which is pretty clearly tied to Baroque Works.

quote:

Davy Back Fight is completely unconnected to anything - the fact that they met Aokiji there has nothing to do with the Foxy Pirates.

Unless you're going to argue Aokiji's appearance is an arc in and of itself, it's part of Davy Back, and thus ties it to the whole Enies Lobby thing.

quote:

The others are harder to argue, but Little Garden and Water 7, while closely tied to Alabasta and Enies Lobby, are still completely distinct stories.

Being a distinct story doesn't mean it's not part of a greater arc though. v:shobon:v

Like Raditz is his own fight, but nobody counts him as his own arc because at the end Vegeta and Nappa dial in. Same thing with Mr. 3 or the events of Water 7, where Crocodile rings in and the CP9 go to Enies Lobby.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not arguing One Piece is slow or anything like that. If anything it's too fast. But story arcs cap off with The Big Villain being defeated, and One Piece's big villains pre-519 were Crocodile, Enel, CP9, and Moriah.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 6, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dende probably didn't take over for Kami in Future Trunks' timeline. He only did in the DBZ timeline because Goku more or less teleported over to New Namek, asked to borrow someone, and took Dende home with him. In Future Trunks timeline Goku dies first, leaving them no way to get to New Namek in the first place.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

But story arcs cap off with The Big Villain being defeated, and One Piece's big villains pre-519 were Crocodile, Enel, CP9, and Moriah.

And Arlong, Kreig, Kuro and Buggy?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

None of them are particularly large scale villains. There's a reason most people tie all of that under East Blue, and it's the same reason people just go Dragon Ball instead of Pilaf, Jackie Chun, Taopaipai, Red Ribbon Army, Grandpa Gohan, Tien, Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr.

Like if you want to inflate the arc count DBZ can get pretty high up there, but as far as most people are concerned it's just DB, Saiyans, Freeza, Androids/Cell, and Buu. I don't see why One Piece should get differential treatment.

EDIT: By my count you can squeeze 37 arcs out of DBZ.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shyrka posted:

I wonder what the difference between regular and Future Trunks timeline was that made the androids decide to murder everyone? Since right from the get-go they seem like they're just loving around and only really care about killing Goku, which is a big leap from the sort of sadism seen in the future timeline.

Apparently because Goku died and he was not able to get his revenge, Gero just gave them some programming to hate humanity in general. They were also weaker in Trunks timeline. Probably because he did not have to make them measure up to Goku. I would not be shocked if he sent them out earlier because of that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently because Goku died and he was not able to get his revenge, Gero just gave them some programming to hate humanity in general. They were also weaker in Trunks timeline. Probably because he did not have to make them measure up to Goku. I would not be shocked if he sent them out earlier because of that.

That would make sense, yeah. They weren't ready for prime time yet, and he never bothered with 19.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he didn't send them out earlier since Trunks got the date right. My assumption is that he found out that Goku was dead and lost a lot of his few remaining fucks to give. Without the drive to kill Goku he sort of meandered about, tinkering with seventeen and eighteen, possibly not even bothering with nineteen before he slipped up, got murdered and they decided to go on a killing spree. The future Androids seem just as sociopathic as the present ones, its just that the ones in the present get their asses kicked/saved by Goku and friends and really aren't all powerful for long enough to go full on megalomaniac evil like the future androids.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are they really sociopathic? They don't even kill anyone do they?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who's Dende?

Caros
May 14, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Are they really sociopathic? They don't even kill anyone do they?

The future ones kill tons. The past ones don't kill anyone, but it always struck me as a matter of time without intervention. They show no regard for anyone other than themselves in the present and are more than okay causing property damage in search of 'fun'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Future 18 and 17 strike me as more actively malicious, but that may be due to years of rampaging unchecked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, give teenage punks power that dwarfs Superman and they're gonna get that way eventually. The experiences they had with the Z Fighters and Cell changed them for the better. Now 17 has a wife, kids, and a job as a park ranger. :)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bowmore posted:

Who's Dende?

His name is Little Green.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, give teenage punks power that dwarfs Superman and they're gonna get that way eventually. The experiences they had with the Z Fighters and Cell changed them for the better. Now 17 has a wife, kids, and a job as a park ranger. :)

Uhh, didn't you see the Death Battle? SSJ4 Goku can't even beat Superman.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

His name is Little Green.
Thank you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

New Leaf posted:

Uhh, didn't you see the Death Battle? SSJ4 Goku can't even beat Superman.

That episode was incredibly wrong.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

WickedHate posted:

No, I'm pretty sure Death Battle is the ultimate authority here. I mean, the Kirby vs Buu one was pretty conclusive.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It doesn't matter, Saitama would kill them all if they stopped him from going to a sale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I believe you will find that it is canonical that Luckyman is stronger than Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

WickedHate posted:

You're really underestimating how stupid broken Superman is.

• Locked thread