Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

goatface posted:

I think the dungeons part is overrated. Just Skelephants.

Given that Bards have apparently become the super-class in this edition we might call it Skalds & Skelephants? You kind of want to keep the ampersand and the alliterative title, otherwise it doesn't feel like D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

At the very least the choice between zombie and skeleton doesn't have to have anything to do with your raw materials. You can target bones, say "I choose zombie" and get a zombie, because it just says "If you chose" and not "If your target is".

This is good because the meme is skeletons, not zombies, and who wants to spend a bunch of time flesh-stripping corpses on your way to skeleton superiority.

Just choose the skeleton inside the corpse and have it remove it's own flesh. Or leave it intact for FREE rotting flesh armor.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So my group decided to take a break from 4e and will play 5e for a bit.

Our group comp is Rogue, Monk, Barbarian, Cleric and Fighter.

After reading this thread, I feel that we're very much screwed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'll be fine if your DM is any good. You're easy to balance things for as long as the Cleric isn't the dominant force.

I really would recommend starting at level 3 though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CommaToes posted:

Our group comp is Rogue, Monk, Barbarian, Cleric and Fighter.

After reading this thread, I feel that we're very much screwed.

Why? Having a group full of martials is like best case scenario for a martial character since there are no casters to take the spotlight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CommaToes posted:

I'm legit curious how these decisions are made. Do you have one guy who's totally into it?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
^^^^^ the guy who is going to be DMing bought all of the books.

Andrast posted:

Why? Having a group full of martials is like best case scenario for a martial character since there are no casters to take the spotlight.

I guess I took the posts saying how the setting expects you to have a spellcaster too literally.

The one DMing this is very gamist, so I don't expect much from the campaign. He always tries to "win" while playing Fiasco.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That could be bad. The rocket tag is a real thing, and lots of enemies will down - if not kill - a PC if they crit.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CommaToes posted:

the guy who is going to be DMing bought all of the books.
I don't expect much from the campaign. He always tries to "win" while playing Fiasco.

:siren: I really suggest spending your time doing anything else :siren:

Alternatively do what I do when I play 5E: get utterly smashed on beer and whiskey.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

eatenmyeyes posted:

Just choose the skeleton inside the corpse and have it remove it's own flesh. Or leave it intact for FREE rotting flesh armor.

Hide armor, potentially?

chaos rhames posted:

On the subject of rest mechanics, has anyone played the video game Darkest Dungeon? It gives you the ability to rest based on particular resources(Firewood and food) and gives you a particular amount of respite points to use for rest moves that recover sanity and health, or buff yourself up. I feel like in D&D you just rest and recover your magic powers based on whether it's a short or long rest, but there's an opportunity to add something to do for a lot of classes, like the ranger scouting ahead, Bard composing a song, the fighter maintaining gear and practicing some techniques, or a druid doing a rain dance. There's a good opportunity for the game to add some mechanical benefits to many classes for resting and help with the pacing of an action-heavy narrative, but it's not really doing anything with the premise.

This was briefly touched on again but I wanted to bring it back up because there is actually a japanese RPG called Meikyuu Kingdom that has players as a fantasy court going out on adventures with their whole retinue in tow as rerolls/ablative armor. It has a whole PHASE for making camp and what the individual players are doing during this downtime aside from the resting, such as, in fact, scouting, schmoozing, gear-tinkering, and the like.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hell, several enemies will kill a PC even without a crit. 5e was explicitly designed to be "unfair" to the player of the DM wanted it to be - and unexplicitly designed to still be "unfair" to the player even if the DM just follows the encounter building rules. Intellect Devourer's is the classic example, but even just focusing on mobs of weaker enemies ends up making encounters dramatically more difficult then the rules tell you. Especially since your group lacks AoE.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

CommaToes posted:

I guess I took the posts saying how the setting expects you to have a spellcaster too literally.

The one DMing this is very gamist, so I don't expect much from the campaign. He always tries to "win" while playing Fiasco.
You're going to have a lot of trouble with swarms of guys. Try to avoid, separate, or thin out pre-initiative any groups with equal numbers to you.

Normally it's the casters' job to be your "oh poo poo" button in a big group, but that cleric is going to have to blow most of his spells to keep the party on its feet. Things will probably get better as you level, but at levels 1-2 you're going to basically be one or two bad rolls away from a wipe at all times.

On a side note, I didn't expect this at all going in, but having played a land druid and a light domain cleric in two separate games, the land druid is actually the way better healer. They get the quasi-arcane refresh on short rest and goodberry is actually a surprisingly good healing spell for keeping people topped off after a fight.

Most cleric domains will maybe get a damage mitigation feature or two, but otherwise they're relying purely on cure wounds/healing word for quite a while.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I remember one of my old 3e games being a huge pile of martials early on. As we levelled and people died, more and more people made magic users until there was only one guy left in the party who wasn't one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Laphroaig posted:

:siren: I really suggest spending your time doing anything else :siren:

uh yeah seconded. I don't care WHAT system you're using, DMs who feel like they have to "win" are a plague and a pestilence. Good luck.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Selachian posted:

uh yeah seconded. I don't care WHAT system you're using, DMs who feel like they have to "win" are a plague and a pestilence. Good luck.

Yeah, I know. I'll give it a try, but I know it's pretty much a lost cause. This is the guy who ran an Everyone Is John game and made John a robot who couldn't disobey the three laws of robotics.

On the other hand, he is easy to troll and the rest of the group would be on board with that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why do you game with that person.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

4e had errata. You don't want what 4e had, do you?

The best example of caster supremacy is 3.5s tome of battle errata.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

CommaToes posted:

On the other hand, he is easy to troll and the rest of the group would be on board with that.

Yes.

I know mostly everyone here is on board with the "War Games" approach to adversarial GM's, but embrace the true game, spin up the most horrible cheese stuffed example of whatever D&D idiosyncrasy bothers him the most and troll the hell out of him. Collude to create parties of gimmick characters, ignore plot hooks, go off the rails whenever possible.

Become Mustard Smugglers.

Seriously, people who don't have at least one KODT style table flip in their gaming history haven't really lived.

Disclaimer: I guess you could try having a discussion about what everyone in the group wants the game experience to be and try to reach a consensus with compromises and mutual understanding between all parties.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Disclaimer: I guess you could try having a discussion about what everyone in the group wants the game experience to be and try to reach a consensus with compromises and mutual understanding between all parties.

Yeah, but that's not D&D. "DM's call" is not code for use these clear rules or handle this as adults would.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Really Pants posted:

Why do you game with that person.

Mostly due to the group. It's a group that's been together for a while, and we're aware of his shortcomings and can usually work around them.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
When you die, point out that nowhere in the rules does it say you have to stop playing your character, and come back as a zombie, then a skeleton, then a series of ever more vengeful ghosts.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

what is KODT?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Elendil004 posted:

what is KODT?

Knights of the Dinner Table.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Dinner_Table

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Laphroaig posted:

When you die, point out that nowhere in the rules does it say you have to stop playing your character, and come back as a zombie, then a skeleton, then a series of ever more vengeful ghosts.

GBS WH40k thread bleeding into this thread and I like it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Laphroaig posted:

A series of ever smaller skeletal constructs as bones get broken, until you're just a shinbone that occasionally casts spells being carried around in another player's pocket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should the Necromancer's Knapsack be bigger or smaller than the Bag of Bones?

The Sack o' Skeletons is obviously the biggest.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Isn't a thatch roofed cottage basically a tree skeleton?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any spells that use bones as a material component? Because if you have an effectively infinite supply of them in your component pouch, and any ol' pile of bones is a potential skeleton...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bone dust and pieces of, but not whole bones.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Crotch posted:

Are there any spells that use bones as a material component? Because if you have an effectively infinite supply of them in your component pouch, and any ol' pile of bones is a potential skeleton...

There isn't, but I also don't think there's anything stopping you from writing one.

Like, not "as a houserule", but in-game in-character writing a new spell that requires a bone as a material component. It doesn't even matter what it does, but if you wrote it to, oh, I dunno, double the size of any undead minions in the vicinity, you'd be on the right track.

e: poo poo, you could get away with making it a level 1 spell if it was like "Dypshite's Nourishing Soup": Makes enough soup to feed 4 people for a day. Requires a bone to be placed in the vessel in which the soup is to appear.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Crotch posted:

And this is why you should track material components.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Bone dust and pieces of, but not whole bones.

a pile of bones is still a pile of bones, even if they aren't intact.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, I know. I'll give it a try, but I know it's pretty much a lost cause. This is the guy who ran an Everyone Is John game and made John a robot who couldn't disobey the three laws of robotics.

My suggestion is to make like a dozen characters each, just random them all up. Keep them in a folder in a bookbag or something and every time you die just reach in and draw a new one.

Then if you run out just pick up a dead character and put a II after their name.

You might have to pick up a Players' Handbook yourself though and overall it could be too far to go to have a laugh.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The pathguy character-builder website got a C&D. All D&D edition generators are gone.

Except for...

"My generator for Pathfinder will of course remain online. Click here for more information about this role-playing game."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So how many bones does there have to be to be a pile?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ritorix posted:

The pathguy character-builder website got a C&D. All D&D edition generators are gone.
Now d20 D&D is too complicated for me to ever play again, great job.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Tunicate posted:

The best example of caster supremacy is 3.5s tome of battle errata.

I never read the errata. How bad is it?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
About 1/3 of the way through it turns into Complete Mage errata. Without warning.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I never read the errata. How bad is it?

Half of the ToB errata document is updates to spells from other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

About 1/3 of the way through it turns into Complete Mage errata. Without warning.

:psyduck: I cant tell if your joking.