Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sagebrush posted:

everything yo copy over has to fit in the internal memory, which is 1 megabyte

hey now, i worked in a machine shop that spent some huge amount of money to upgrade their insaneo expensive haas CNC machines to that 1mb of ram, cause they came with 512kb. granted this was like 04, but were talking tens of thousands of dollars a mb

also those cnc mills are badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

machinists are the most insanely backwards of all high tech industries. guaranteed if this company had taken out rs-232 and put in an ethernet port there'd have been hell raised by hundreds of crotchety old greybeards "you mean I bought this COMPUTER only 25 years ago to run my mills and now i have to replace it ALREADY? when it works JUST FINE???? THAT'S HAAS FOR YOU, I'M GOING TO BUY A SOUTH BEND"

this is also true of printing and why there are still bondi blue G3s running Quark 5 in a non-trivial portion of print shops

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

duTrieux. posted:

they finally removed that in 8

yeah the font menu in WINFILE.EXE is the win95 style not the win3.1 style

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

we have a $45,000 cnc machine manufactured in 2005 that can only receive files via rs-232. i had to find an old windows xp computer to get a copy of hypertrm.exe because all other options for this type of terminal stuff on windows are garbage.

well actually the cnc can also take files in one other format, 1.44mb floppy. but it's kinda pointless because it can't load files directly from the disk, and it only has 1 megabyte of internal memory, so drip-feed over a 20 foot serial cable it is

is there anything better than realterm for windows?

(don't say minicom, I already use that in the world's most advanced operating system whenever possible)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

like, it was literally targeted for removal because it was too good of an example of how they can't get their poo poo together

it's like how rather than fixing the problem with bing/cortana where it says "2014" when you ask for the year, they just removed there being a custom answer for that question.
lol yeah they didn't even update it to say "it's 2015!" they just took it out altogether because it's apparently too hard to program a computer to pull up a custom correct answer to that question

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

lol yeah they didn't even update it to say "it's 2015!" they just took it out altogether because it's apparently too hard to program a computer to pull up a custom correct answer to that question

i think it's because some of those responses have prerecorded audio instead of siri's computer voice

like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRV76VbTq-8

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
every year, they bring in the voice actress to say, "it's 2015"
"it's 2016"
"it's 2017"
etc etc until bankruptcy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

computer parts posted:

i think it's because some of those responses have prerecorded audio instead of siri's computer voice

like this:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my fav part is how they pump up the quirky music

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
rs232 is still very much a thing, and that's no bad thing either. Having to do your own framing is kind of a pain though.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
satya's expecting the regular rear end pen to go extinct in 10 years, to be replaced by digital pens used for circling things on webpages

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

spent a few seconds trying to figure out what an rear end pen was :downs:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

i look forward to apple getting the digital pen right in 20 years time and future msft ceo hololens-guy dismissing it as not appealing to business customers because it does not have an ink well

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"the apple stylus won't appeal to anyone because it doesn't come with a pen holder!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

shadow puppet of a posted:

i look forward to apple getting the digital pen right in 20 years time and future msft ceo hololens-guy dismissing it as not appealing to business customers because it does not have an ink well

apple's had an inkwell since newton

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

you would expect someone who runs a company with a long history of failed hardware to know not to make these terrible predictions

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

we have a $45,000 cnc machine manufactured in 2005 that can only receive files via rs-232. i had to find an old windows xp computer to get a copy of hypertrm.exe because all other options for this type of terminal stuff on windows are garbage.

well actually the cnc can also take files in one other format, 1.44mb floppy. but it's kinda pointless because it can't load files directly from the disk, and it only has 1 megabyte of internal memory, so drip-feed over a 20 foot serial cable it is

I can vouch for the esoteric as hell CNC machines. My father was/is a field service engineer and he has plenty of horror stories about the poo poo he's seen. He actually keeps an old laptop around with Windows XP that he swears by, because it's the only thing that can still run certain certain diagnostic tools that were written by brave pioneers unhinged radicals trying out this new MS-DOS operating system.

His least favorite machines? Sometime in the late 90's early 2000's somebody got the idea to create hybrid CNC machines with a Windows front end. They run any version of windows. ANY. "Your machine's not working and it's running Windows NT 3 on a standard HDD that's covered in grease and vibrates all day as the machine tools parts? Fetch me my soldering iron so I can jam it into my eye!"

Last Fraken-CNC horror story he told me was a customer had a machine running Windows CE. It had a pcmcia slot on it so he thought he could do an easy backup. Plugged in his card and the thing poo poo the bed so bad it wrecked the OS to the point it refused to boot. Awkward conversation with the shop owner about when was the last time they ran a back-up ensued.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

rampant engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

cthulhoo posted:

modern art

not sure if this is a bug or some elaborate next level vapor wave art

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

not sure if this is a bug or some elaborate next level vapor wave art

I don't know about the former but it's definitely the latter in either case

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

like this:

not even that, cortana was just passing the phrase "what year is it" through to bing, and that's what was loving up because it had a big "2014!" info box. now it just gives normal results.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

microsoft can't get roslyn officially ported fast enough

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what the hell

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

spent a few seconds trying to figure out what an rear end pen was :downs:

pen is short for penetration. e.g. "pen testing"

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what's this new subforum now?

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
im the screenshot credit

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

thats basically photo journalism

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

somebody post the picture of what he looked like before they made him ceo

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

same ???

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

a bit goofier and less stebe-y looking but yeah generally

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
there was a picture from when he was a plain old engineer, and he looked very different. i remember somebody referred to it as a "race lift", which i thought was funny

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if you goobers are dealing with CNC poo poo get yourself a digi serial to IP bridge and run that poo poo back on a VM. if they really want console access at the machine, put in a thin client that is hard coded to RDP back in to the VM so you're not killing your Important CNC Computer with dust and metal shavings

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the handwriting recognition in windows 8 is amazingly accurate. unfortunately it is also useless.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"what do you listen to"

"what do you eat"

god just ask who is he wearing while you're at it

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison