Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I only have a PS4 but been thinking of getting a Vita. Looks like the every persona except 4 is for older systems only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

snodig posted:

I only have a PS4 but been thinking of getting a Vita. Looks like the every persona except 4 is for older systems only.

Speaking of a Vita, I was wondering if the PS TV is worth grabbing, I'd like to play Persona 4 Golden again but my friend who's Vita I used last time isn't in the same town anymore.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

snodig posted:

You can play every persona game on the vita, though 1, innocent sin, and 3 are psp games and eternal punishment is a ps1 game

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mr E posted:

Speaking of a Vita, I was wondering if the PS TV is worth grabbing, I'd like to play Persona 4 Golden again but my friend who's Vita I used last time isn't in the same town anymore.

They were on sale for $60 a couple days ago. I've heard if you can grab them cheap they are worth it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the Persona games can technically be played on a Vita. The only Persona you can't play on Vita is Persona 3 FES, but Persona 3 Portable is the better version, it's just missing the Answer expansion. A lot of people hated the Answer, I don't understand why. It retains the strong storyline that Persona 3 is known for, but with a very heavy focus on dungeon crawling and no deadlines. It gives a lot of fans what they were asking for; the ability to dungeon crawl without worrying about a timeline or the social features, but they still hated it anyways.

Skeezy posted:

They were on sale for $60 a couple days ago. I've heard if you can grab them cheap they are worth it.

I keep forgetting this exists. This is the better option now that Sony has abandoned the Vita.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

All of the Persona games can technically be played on a Vita. The only Persona you can't play on Vita is Persona 3 FES, but Persona 3 Portable is the better version, it's just missing the Answer expansion. A lot of people hated the Answer, I don't understand why. It retains the strong storyline that Persona 3 is known for, but with a very heavy focus on dungeon crawling and no deadlines. It gives a lot of fans what they were asking for; the ability to dungeon crawl without worrying about a timeline or the social features, but they still hated it anyways.

It's because it was locked on the hardest difficulty, didn't have a compendium, and a lot of people didn't like how the characters turned out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

It's because it was locked on the hardest difficulty, didn't have a compendium, and a lot of people didn't like how the characters turned out

Persona should always be locked on the hardest difficulty though? :colbert: I'll give the compendium thing though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I said come in! posted:

Persona should always be locked on the hardest difficulty though? :colbert: I'll give the compendium thing though.

Not in a game where you fail if the main character dies

Edit: I'm kind of surprised that two key Sony franchises are MIA: Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank, especially with the movies releasing in the near future.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 6, 2015

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Edit: I'm kind of surprised that two key Sony franchises are MIA: Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank, especially with the movies releasing in the near future.

Isn't Ratchet and Clank getting a remake of the original at some point, presumably to coincide with the movie? Although, the film is allegedly due early 2015 and I would think we'd have heard more about it now though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

blackguy32 posted:

That kind of mediocre time traveling game didn't count?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Anybody here play Driver club?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should have made drive club a driver series game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Ratchet and Clank 1 is getting a remake (which I kinda hope spreads out to the other games but whatever.

Aside from that I guess Insomniac is working on Sunset Overdrive 2 or something.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Apparently it's not so much a remake as it is a new game that reboots the story to match the plot of the movie, so no more rear end in a top hat Ratchet.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yo Persona 3 is boring as poo poo (at least the first month or so, I couldn't really stomach any more past that) but Persona 4 is really amazing from the getgo so play that. If you have a Vita, P4 Golden is basically the best game on the system.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo dudes Dying Light is legit awesome. Very surprised.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After getting most of the way through it I'd say it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in the genre. It's pretty flawed but the middle of the road reviews are BS. It's a lot of fun and there's a ton of content.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

J-Spot posted:

Apparently it's not so much a remake as it is a new game that reboots the story to match the plot of the movie, so no more rear end in a top hat Ratchet.

Thank god for that, I had to skip about half of R&C1 because Ratchet was such an incredible dick, and just went straight to 2. I understand the 90s were big on edgy characters, but he was just a jerk.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

precision posted:

Yo dudes Dying Light is legit awesome. Very surprised.
I'm going to have to try this one. After Shadow Warrior which is also pretty loving fun. Not bad for a freebie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

robodex posted:

Yo Persona 3 is boring as poo poo (at least the first month or so, I couldn't really stomach any more past that) but Persona 4 is really amazing from the getgo so play that. If you have a Vita, P4 Golden is basically the best game on the system.

Persona 3 is a much slower start, but it's worth sticking with.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

snodig posted:

I've never played persona games. Where do I start?

Freeing 120+ hours of your schedule for playing one of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The real problem with Persona 3 is that for about 80% of that game there just isn't a plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrAristocrates posted:

The real problem with Persona 3 is that for about 80% of that game there just isn't a plot.

Yeah, they over-relied on the S.Links, I think. The only real plot dumps are around June-July-ish and September before the endgame, aren't they?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
drat the beginning of Persona 4 is boring as poo poo. Once you get to dungeons its cool but that first month of cut scenes and dialogue...drat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob A Feet posted:

drat the beginning of Persona 4 is boring as poo poo. Once you get to dungeons its cool but that first month of cut scenes and dialogue...drat.

Agreed, but it's something of a necessary evil. By the time it dumps you out on your own, it's explained how to fuse persona, what's going on, and how to do well in combat (press-turns, etc). Though showing where the item shop actually is would really have helped.

Didn't find the drat place til I stumbled upon it by accident in June on my first playthrough. :cripes:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Transistor is loving awesome. I love the battle system a lot. It's just challenging enough, I feel like I have to work hard to win fights, or at least think up a smart strategy, and if I wing it too much I'll be punished, and death is handled brilliantly in the "lose a health bar, lose an attack option" it makes death both punishing but also not like "ah, reload a checkpoint" unless you do VERY poorly.

The addition of bosses has been interesting so far. The story is great, I love that you unlock the plot by experimenting with different attack options. It's not quite as organic as how they handled it in Bastion, but I enjoy plot being a reward for learning to play the game as a concept and in execution. The soundtrack is also very nice, and I really like the main characters.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Has anyone else's download of Rogue Legacy caused huge system issues? Twice I've tried booting it only for the system to hardlock and restart the OS from scratch, or just crash outright from the loading screen from dash.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Well the plot suffers from the first major aspect of the plot taking the majority of game time and gameplay, but there is a plot there. It's just that until you beat the big shadows then you don't really get any major answers to the game's questions, and that takes a long time. It's a slow burn with a pretty great pay-off.

P3's plot is basically character-focused anyway, the major events of the game are important, but not as important as the little events in the lives of the main cast as they learn and grow as a team. P4 did this much better, but both games have been very personal tales focused on the cast, rather than broader and more event-driven stories. It's why characters like Shinjiro are still important, especially once he's given the proper treatment in P3P and you learn more about his character, but even in the original, he exists for the growth and development of the cast, one character in particular.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Geomancing posted:

Thank god for that, I had to skip about half of R&C1 because Ratchet was such an incredible dick, and just went straight to 2. I understand the 90s were big on edgy characters, but he was just a jerk.

You also should have skipped it because the first game is pretty mediocre/bad overall. I'm glad I gave the second one a chance, but I'm not honestly sure why I did after the first one.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed, but it's something of a necessary evil. By the time it dumps you out on your own, it's explained how to fuse persona, what's going on, and how to do well in combat (press-turns, etc). Though showing where the item shop actually is would really have helped.

Didn't find the drat place til I stumbled upon it by accident in June on my first playthrough. :cripes:

Thankfully you can also speed through the cut scenes too by pressing start. Really handy feature. I haven't picked up my vita in a while and I left off where I had just beaten the bathhouse and gotten the kanji dude. How many dungeons are left?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Never played a persona game but saw the persona 5 trailer and the art and style looked really cool. Unfortunately, I'm assuming the series is just lovely turn based anime jrpg with dialogue text everywhere

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Never played a persona game but saw the persona 5 trailer and the art and style looked really cool. Unfortunately, I'm assuming the series is just lovely turn based anime jrpg with dialogue text everywhere
Well, everything but the "lovely" part is true.

edit: like it or not, this game is going to be a big, big deal. Both Persona 3 and 4 are among the best PS2 games, and they completely skipped the PS3.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 6, 2015

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's really really good turn based rpg with text everywhere

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Saagonsa posted:

It's really really good turn based rpg with text everywhere

But people say this about final fantasy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

P3 and 4 were better than all but the best FF games (though I guess it's difficult to say which, since every FF game is the worst of the series).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was boring anime high school drama trash that felt like a f2p monster fusing phone game combined with a lovely dating sim.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My favorite part of Apotheon is either the part where the game crashes when I complete an objective or when I get thrown by the wolf guys and I get stuck inside of a wall and die.

The satyr enemies that teleport you out of the dungeon in one hit so you have to waste a minute or two running back to the fight are also good. Boss names covering a third of their health bars too.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 6, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I played P3P and P4G because people on the Internet made it sound like I was supposed to. It took me more than a year to beat P3P and probably less than a month to beat P4G.

Still hate anime bs, so some stuff was obnoxious, but I was able to look past a lot of it and the games are fun. I'm looking forward to P5, but I hope that cat is nothing like the robot chick or the annoying bear.

Edit: for people who have no experience with the series, the combat is Persona games is turn based, but there are some cool elemental/summon things (the personas) and combined attacks which make it feel fresh and fast paced. There is no shame in playing on easy mode, either. It significantly reduces grinding.

Edit2: P4G is kind of like Scooby Doo with some generic social commentary of varying quality that is optional and unlocked by spending time with designated friends. If you develop better friendships, then you can create more powerful personas.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 6, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

It's way more interesting than Final Fantasy and does a lot of sweet freaky poo poo with the art style and the way game progression works and how you learn skills and level up and the combat and everything. I think it's the best JRPG. 3 and 4 are representative of how the series currently plays (although the trailer makes it look like they switched some things up in 5) -- 1 and 2 are cool for their time but really old and you can skip them, but everyone should play Persona 3 or 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the truth posted:

Edit: for people who have no experience with the series, the combat is Persona games is turn based, but there are some cool elemental/summon things (the personas) and combined attacks which make it feel fresh and fast paced. There is no shame in playing on easy mode, either. It significantly reduces grinding.

You really are best off playing on Easy Mode the first time through. It still throws a challenge in the boss fights, and gives you a much larger degree of free time to use for Social Links or stat grinding due to not having to pull out of a dungeon every second floor to go heal up (that said; using a Goho-M to leave a dungeon lets you come back right to the floor you left on another day).

It's also possible to utterly break the Main Character's leveling over your knee in one of the last few dungeons of Persona 4 to make it far easier to get into the 90's for all those sweet, sweet top-tier Personae. One of the last dungeons has an early enemy called the Contrarian King, and he generally appears in pairs on their own. Their only moveset is to spawn cherubs that have only a basic physical attack. Go into the dungeon on your own, equip a weak weapon and a Persona with Phys.Null. Let them start laying down Cherubs, then just turn on Auto-Attack. The MC will slaughter the cherubs, but at a slower rate than they're spawned and nothing can harm him. Go do something else for an hour or two, come back and murder everything with some proper moves to finish the fight, and both the MC and Rise will jump like 10-20 levels easily.

• Locked thread