Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Allarion posted:

Yeah, one of you goons did mention that the manga was different which was when I started getting interested in going back to Utena again. I was actively avoiding Utena up to now just because I wasn't a big fan of the manga. I don't know if the anime will become a blurry existential mess like it did in the manga, but the style of the anime is keeping my attention. It's a fun compare and contrast with yurikuma too.

It's a blurry gay Jungian mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

It's a blurry gay Jungian mess

Speaking of trying new things, you ever get around to reading The Crow? It counts for this thread as it is western manga.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

a kitten posted:

Speaking of trying new things, you ever get around to reading The Crow? It counts for this thread as it is western manga.

No, I forgot. I should get around to it...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, having finally started it, X's first episode was ridiculously slow. The entire first half was just a myriad of different people saying a whole bunch of nothing that boiled down to "something is going to happen!" and... then the second half was a slow boil itself albeit with things kind of maybe getting somewhere.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Dragonatrix posted:

The entire first half was just a myriad of different people saying a whole bunch of nothing that boiled down to "something is going to happen!" and... then the second half was a slow boil itself albeit with things kind of maybe getting somewhere.

You have just described the first chapter of every Type Moon show ever.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

X is CLAMP, not Type-Moon. You're not wrong on the larger point, but still.

Apparently the Dear Brother anime dates back to 1991 which is more recent than I thought but still more than 20 years ago which makes me feel very old.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 5, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

After watching the first 2 episodes of Chihayafuru, MC is a total dork and her childhood friend's parents are horrible people.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HiveCommander posted:

After watching the first 2 episodes of Chihayafuru, MC is a total dork and her childhood friend's parents are horrible people.

All of the parents in Chihayafuru are complete goobers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

All of the parents in Chihayafuru are complete goobers.
kana's mom is great and i wish she was my mom

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've started Turn A, and it's really bothering me how the propellers are on the backs of all the planes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

You're right, and I'm sorry.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm not far enough in to know who Kana is, but the other thread tells me that she's cute and has big boobs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

I've started Turn A, and it's really bothering me how the propellers are on the backs of all the planes.

:colbert:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This seems like it might be a fun thing to try out so I guess I should figure out what to peek in on. I mostly watch kind of comedy stuff, stupid shows where anime girls often drink tea or eat cake, most of KyoAni's stuff I watch uh...I don't often watch more serious shows I guess even though I've seen them here and there. I've watched various Gundams but I can't say I've seen a lot of mech and I've seen various shounen and shoujo shows through the years. I'm not sure what I am looking for really but I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: A 12-13 episode show I think might be best if only because it's easier to watch but I'm open for longer ones too!

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 5, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Good Listener posted:

This seems like it might be a fun thing to try out so I guess I should figure out what to peek in on. I mostly watch kind of comedy stuff, stupid shows where anime girls often drink tea or eat cake, most of KyoAni's stuff I watch uh...I don't often watch more serious shows I guess even though I've seen them here and there. I've watched various Gundams but I can't say I've seen a lot of mech and I've seen various shounen and shoujo shows through the years. I'm not sure what I am looking for really but I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: A 12-13 episode show I think might be best if only because it's easier to watch but I'm open for longer ones too!

How about Girls und Panzer? It's about a bunch of girls who don't drink tea, but like tanks. It's a good intro to sports anime

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Stuff like Girls und Panzer, Chihayafuru, Saki etc. don't really feel like sports anime because the sports involved don't really seem like sport in the traditional sense. I always think of stuff involving more physical activity when the word 'sport' is involved; not the sort of things that the average goon could do like Karuta, Mahjong or blowing up tanks competitively.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HiveCommander posted:

Stuff like Girls und Panzer, Chihayafuru, Saki etc. don't really feel like sports anime because the sports involved don't really seem like sport in the traditional sense. I always think of stuff involving more physical activity when the word 'sport' is involved; not the sort of things that the average goon could do like Karuta, Mahjong or blowing up tanks competitively.

The reason why I don't recommend something really good like Major or Slam Dunk is because it doesn't have the "real sport" taint. It's a tough sell getting nerds to care about anything dealing with outside. GuP has all the tropes of a sports anime. It has a hot shot protagonist, a rag tag group of losers on the team, it has hot blooded action, friendly rivalries, special powers and attacks, etc.

Also, it's my favorite anime ever

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After a busy week I finally got around to watching the first ep of Sally the Witch.

I'm no stranger to old anime though I've never watched anything in black and white. Between being from the 60s and being a magical girl thing, I had no idea what to expect.

But I definitely didn't expect it to feel like Bugs Bunny as a magical girl.

In the second half of the episode Sally foils some burglars by messing around with them in a very Looney Tunes-esque fashion. Definitely shows a clear cartoon influence when you have things like a guy becoming a human accordion after getting slammed into the ceiling.

My favorite gag: The burglars throw Sally and her brother into a box. Then they throw the box into an even bigger box. Then they throw that one into a bigger box and lock it. Then Sally shows up behind them, smiling. So they wonder, what's in the box? It turns out, a dragon is now in the box and it's not happy.

Overall I had some laughs and I'm looking forward to watching more!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Smoking Crow posted:

How about Girls und Panzer? It's about a bunch of girls who don't drink tea, but like tanks. It's a good intro to sports anime

The only real sports anime I've seen that I think counts as sports anime was Princess Nine. But yea I can check Girls und Panzer, and it looks like it's all up on Crunchy Roll so :toot:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

HiveCommander posted:

things that the average goon could do like Karuta

The farther you get into Chihayafuru episodes the less you will agree with your own statement here, but I agree that these shows are quite different than most "sports" anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

that the average goon could do like karuta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNSt0lTZ0Y4&t=839s

there obviously isn't much running around but it requires lightning quick reflexes, good hand-eye coordination, and a decent amount of mental and physical stamina. i wouldn't call it a 'sport' in the traditional sense but it isn't a literal card game where you just sit around.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Good Listener posted:

The only real sports anime I've seen that I think counts as sports anime was Princess Nine. But yea I can check Girls und Panzer, and it looks like it's all up on Crunchy Roll so :toot:

Hah, was a boxset of Princess Nine at your local library too? That was probably one of the first sports anime I ever watched, though more drama than baseball.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

there obviously isn't much running around but it requires lightning quick reflexes, good hand-eye coordination, and a decent amount of mental and physical stamina. i wouldn't call it a 'sport' in the traditional sense but it isn't a literal card game where you just sit around.

Lets set up an adtrw kurata tournament

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Allarion posted:

Hah, was a boxset of Princess Nine at your local library too? That was probably one of the first sports anime I ever watched, though more drama than baseball.

It was not actually. I feel like maybe I watched some episodes in anime club then picked the box set up at a convention haha. It was a good one still I think.

Also I'm enjoying these Panzer girls though trying to figure out what they did to the land to make it so all schools are on air craft carriers. Did they blow it up Planet of the Apes style? I hope this gets explained :ohdear:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Good Listener posted:

It was not actually. I feel like maybe I watched some episodes in anime club then picked the box set up at a convention haha. It was a good one still I think.

Also I'm enjoying these Panzer girls though trying to figure out what they did to the land to make it so all schools are on air craft carriers. Did they blow it up Planet of the Apes style? I hope this gets explained :ohdear:

It never gets explained, the government decided that girls are better students on battleships for whatever reason

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

It probably is the way normal people play. I can't remember what episode it is, but someone asks Chihaya about what she's in to and when Chihaya says karuta she envisions a slow paced old fashioned game you play with your cousins when visiting grandma.

E: like this
http://youtu.be/I99rF7hxVak

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a kitten posted:

It probably is the way normal people play. I can't remember what episode it is, but someone asks Chihaya about what she's in to and when Chihaya says karuta she envisions a slow paced old fashioned game you play with your cousins when visiting grandma.

E: like this
http://youtu.be/I99rF7hxVak

pf who cares about those noobs. im not going to compare pro cycling with my daily ride either

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Those planes bother me too :colbert:

On a more serious note, I'm intrigued about how the difference in technology will play out. I can see so many things going wrong, especially with the planned kidnapping of Diana. Besides, coming across technology far more advanced than what you can make never turns out well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched The Wings of Honnêamise today. I definitely get now why someone said it wasn't a romance earlier, though I still think that's how the story was presenting it, as bizarre as that is. Especially since she apologized for defending herself when he attacked her. I guess it served to rub in to him what a dick he was being that she could be nice to that extreme, but still, that could give off such a horrible lesson.

I loved all the pretty visuals, weirdness aside, and the alternate technology was incredible. The music was a little wonky, though, but I didn't mind so much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've been putting off posting but 3 episodes is probably the farthest I can go and still call this a first impression. I didn't really know much about Toradora before starting, just lumped it under "typical romance I never need to watch." It played up the comedy aspects more than I expected, which made getting into it much easier. Ryuuji being such a domestic is probably my favorite thing behind Midori's mpdg antics (especially the rooftop scene in ep2). Decided to watch the dub and I feel like that adds another level of enjoyment because the two leads and Minori are all done so well.

It seemed weird for episode 3 to focus so much on Ryuuji's crush on Minori when she's not endgame, but I guess I don't mind. As obvious as Ryuuji/Taiga is, they're so fun to watch that I wouldn't mind if it takes the most of the series before they acknowledge it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

if it takes the most of the series before they acknowledge it.

Welcome to the world of anime/manga romance.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

This thread is a great idea! I watch a reasonably wide variety of things, so it took a while to narrow things down, but I think it'll have to be one of these genres: romance, sports, and idol series. I was going to say mecha too, but when I wrote out a list of ones I'd seen, it seems I've seen and enjoyed more of them than I thought.

For romance, I've seen and liked: Maison Ikkoku, Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto, Natsuyuki Rendesvous, Uta Koi.
I've seen some or all of and wasn't keen on: Kimi ni Todoke, Suki-tte Ii na yo, Honey and Clover, Onegai Teacher, Chobits, Saikano, Aoi Haru Ride.

For idol series I've seen....hardly any. Does Symphogear count? I watched it, but it wasn't a particularly good series. I also saw the first ep of Bakumatsu Rock, and it was okay, I just didn't bother to watch more.

For sports series, I've seen and liked: Baby Steps, Free!, Chihayafuru. If less active games count, I also like Shion no Ou and Hikaru no Go.

What series should I try?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Perhaps you could try out something adapted from an Adachi manga? I figure, those tend to mix romance/drama with sports so it would hit two categories there.

Cross Game is probably the most accessible of his stuff these days since it's not very old and iirc it's still up for streaming. Touch is considered his best though it's really long.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Cross Game it is! Thank you. It's perfect for this thread. I would never, ever seek out a baseball series off my own bat, but perhaps it'll turn out nicely.

Cross Game episode 1:

The art style is surprisingly cute, and the intro sequence gives the impression that the series will be cheerful and fairly light. The main character claims to think baseball is boring,so if the series is starting at that point and is going to try to persuade the main character otherwise, maybe they can persuade me otherwise too. Okay, the way that Kou ended up agreeing to play baseball was pretty funny. He doesn't seem to be one of the boringly straightforward type of shounen main character. This really is mixing romance with sports, with the main character's romantic rivals following him into the match to try to get even. There's not much to Kou and Wakaba's actual romance in this ep, since they're just little kids. At least they seem to get along okay and aren't particularly annoying. The baseball was handled pretty well - it didn't take over the whole episode, and it wasn't made to look dull.

...The apparent heroine is dead in the first episode. Well. I take back what I said about the series being cheerful and fairly light. Maybe it will still be cheerful, but cheerful + dealing with a tragic death is a slightly different thing. So, the heroine is going to be one of Wakaba's sisters, who dislikes the main character for Wakaba-related reasons. That's not a bad way of introducing character conflict.

All in all, this is probably worth continuing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I challenged myself to watch Madan no Ou to Vanadis and turns out... I liked it.

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to watch something with giant robots. I've seen Gunbuster, the first few episodes of Turn A, and some of Gundam Wing when it was on US TV.

I usually watch comedy/slice of life, shoujo, and Jojo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You should watch Diebuster, which is Gunbuster but better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tsuki posted:

I'd like to watch something with giant robots. I've seen Gunbuster, the first few episodes of Turn A, and some of Gundam Wing when it was on US TV.

I usually watch comedy/slice of life, shoujo, and Jojo.

Since I'm bored of the usual giant robot recs:

Try Escaflowne (giant robots with a bit of shoujo) or Magic Knight Rayearth (shoujo with a bit of giant robots).

Sharkopath posted:

You should watch Diebuster, which is Gunbuster but better.

It's Gunbuster but worse, sorry.

Edit: Actually it's a worse FLCL smashed into a worse Gurren Lagann

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diebuster: Characters that have actual arcs, incredible animation work by Yoh Yoshinari in every episode, the absolute high point of ridiculous super robot escalation of threats.

Gunbuster: Uuuuuuh I guess theres some science?

• Locked thread