Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Shot this last weekend at the paint studio I work at. I'll turn it into a thumbnail if it's too pointy for SA.

Faith in the Light by McMadCow, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

poo poo, I just came back to the thread and I don't remember. I think it was Halie maybe. If so she's really chill and easy to work with.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

McMadCow posted:

Shot this last weekend at the paint studio I work at. I'll turn it into a thumbnail if it's too pointy for SA.

Faith in the Light by McMadCow, on Flickr

At a first quick glance I was all "oh hey that looks like mcmadcow but it's color ... oh wait"

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I took my first foray into Non Wrestling portraits the other days and had a bit of a fun testing day with a friend (who hadn't modelled for a year) I wasn't looking to make anything artsy or with meaning but whatever.

Stacey Bokeh by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Stacey Bokeh by bang3rachi, on Flickr

The background was pretty busy (some boards covered in alfoil) so we tried some on some black muslin

Stacey Dramatic by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I've got an awful lot to learn but it was fun.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

They're certainly sharp. If you're not going for art or meaning then you should probably be going for beauty and they're not particularly flattering.

I kind of like the third one, though. It has kind of an unsettling "haunted painting" vibe to it that is cool. The other two, meh, nothing is really meshing between her expression, the poses and the lighting

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They're certainly sharp. If you're not going for art or meaning then you should probably be going for beauty and they're not particularly flattering.

I kind of like the third one, though. It has kind of an unsettling "haunted painting" vibe to it that is cool. The other two, meh, nothing is really meshing between her expression, the poses and the lighting

I like the third one too, but also agree that it is waaaaay too sharp.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Yeah honestly the first two were mainly tests shots to see if the background worked so it's nothing serious, and I like the sharpness on the third but I didn't add any in post except for a tiny bit of clarity. It was our first time shooting together as well so hopefully we'll mesh and get some proper stuff going.

(I'm usually bloody concerned with things not being sharp enough!)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What are you doing to make them so sharp:ese:? Is it mostly post? I like the second in particular.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Honestly all I did was bump up the sharpness and clarity a tiny bit in LR, and was hovering around F2-3.2 during the shoot so maybe it's the extra sharpening from flickr that's doing it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Sharpness, or rather excessive detail, can also get a big boost from using harder vs softer lighting. I definitely don't think you should have increased the sharpness at all in post.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Her pores have bright highlights and deep shadows, as well as the small hairs on her face are lit up. You will have to dodge&burn each of these slightly to soften her face up.

Also remember that the clarity slider can be very harsh, even when making the smallest adjustments.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback guys I'll have a play around with the other photos and see if I can soften it a bit (I am kind of a fan of lots of detail but eh) I'm not super used to using soft lighting yet with what I usually shoot.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I do wish it was a full body shot. :/

Ashley
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Testing out the Manual Focus features on the X-T1.

DSCF5189 by sildargod, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Why'd you leave that much headroom while almost cutting her fingers off?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Ashley
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

It's nice, but the framing does kind of bug me, it's just slightly shifted left. :-/

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Why'd you leave that much headroom while almost cutting her fingers off?

I was shooting with a prime and she was moving around and "broke" the framing. If I see something I like, sometimes I just take a shot rather than saying, "Hold that there." Then I have to back up and hope I still have the same shot.

A zoom lens would have been handy at the time.

There's a lot about the photo I like, but the composition sucks. :(

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 11, 2015

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Hey, there's a room over there where all of the light is green. WHAT TO DO

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

thetzar posted:

that catch light is really loving with me

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

thetzar posted:

Are his ears orange for a particular reason?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
"I GOT CHASED THROUGH THE WOODS BY AN ORANGE-EARED SPAGHETTI MONSTER"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Got frisky with Chester, namean

Tzar, your masking game is definitely not on point there.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Happy Valentines Day goons.

My nephew getting kisses from his big sister :3:

Valentine by francography, on Flickr

Subyng
May 4, 2013

thetzar posted:

The pattern of the background is great.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bobmarleysghost posted:

Got frisky with Chester, namean

Tzar, your masking game is definitely not on point there.

Yeah, fair enough. His ears are a bit redder, and the greed color hosed with that a lot; but I tried to pull the color of his skin a bit back to normal and faded it to the ears. I'll try to tweak it later.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

thetzar posted:

It would have looked really cool if the light falloff on the background and subject were the opposite.

Background: Shadow to light
Subject: light to shadow

That would have been a much trickier lighting setup. Just thinking out loud here.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar posted:

Yeah, fair enough. His ears are a bit redder, and the greed color hosed with that a lot; but I tried to pull the color of his skin a bit back to normal and faded it to the ears. I'll try to tweak it later.

Cleaned-up masking. Improved? That's what I get for going all slapdash with it.

Answering some other questions: It's not that I had a light set-up for this, unfortunately. Just one weirdly-lit room and a small camera in my work bag.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Skin tones look kinda green to me, especially the shadows.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

deaders posted:

Yeah, and I'm not going to touch those. I loved the green tint to everything in that room. Gives him a bit of an alien tint.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

deaders posted:

Well he's in a green room...

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Subyng posted:

Well he's in a green room...

Yep and the green skin is really off-putting, unless he is going for the alien tint deliberately then all good.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Pffft... Dan winters does it all the time and it looks awesome.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

deaders posted:

Yep and the green skin is really off-putting, unless he is going for the alien tint deliberately then all good.

What you're basically saying is that your brain can't reconcile the colour of the subject's face with his environment?? Like, is it off putting when people under incandescent lights look orange?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Subyng posted:

What you're basically saying is that your brain can't reconcile the colour of the subject's face with his environment?? Like, is it off putting when people under incandescent lights look orange?

It can be, are you just trying to poo poo-stir here? White balance is pretty important...

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
How in the gently caress do you adjust whit balance for a color cast?

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

rear end is my canvas posted:

How in the gently caress do you adjust whit balance for a color cast?

Move the tint slider.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
And then the white light on the face shifts too

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

rear end is my canvas posted:

And then the white light on the face shifts too

Five seconds with a HSL adjustment layer in Photoshop solves the issue. To be honest in this case it doesn't bother me either, but photographers have it comically easy when it comes to correcting minor casting issues.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
It doesn't have to be an "issue", the artist may simply be making a creative choice like I believe this guy has done. It is essentially like having two different color lights in a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

deaders posted:

It can be, are you just trying to poo poo-stir here? White balance is pretty important...

It's not about white balance though. The *scene* is green, so why would it be weird that objects look green in green light? I mean fair enough if you just don't like the green lighting, but taking issue with the skin tone in this case doesn't make sense. It would like completely out of whack if his skin tone looked like what it looks like in white lighting when the room is bouncing green light everywhere.