Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ante posted:

Many phones will be locked, but most are unlockable.

Buy a used one off Craigslist. I got an old old smartphone for $30 that worked fine with cyanogenmod for hotspots. No lte, though, you'll have to spring for a slightly better one.
Keep in mind when buying that Rogers and telus networks are different frequencies, so some phones will only support one or the other.

Oh, so rather than use a purpose built device like the one I linked, using a previous gen android phone will work just as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ante posted:

Keep in mind when buying that Rogers and telus networks are different frequencies, so some phones will only support one or the other.

No they're not. The days of CDMA are long gone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

less than three posted:

No they're not. The days of CDMA are long gone.

Telus is gonna shut down the CDMA network soon but it's still up as far as I know

If you're in 'murica though (or buying a phone from there), Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. It's a cancer that just won't go away.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Just a heads up for anyone going the $55 Koodo route, my first bill after switching to the $55 plan from an Ontario plan was ~$95.

e:

hnnnngggghhhhhhh

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
How did that happen?

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
That's just what you get with the $55 Saskatchewan plan from Koodo.
I was on the fence because of how much work it was going to be but it's totally worth it imaho.

e:
If you mean the bill, there's some weird billing voodoo prorated somethingorother.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I thought you were saying they are denying you the price? I'm having a hard time parsing the point you're making.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Oh no, I didn't mean that.
I was just referencing earlier when the higher first bill was being discussed, I just posted what the 1st bill came to as a reference in case someone else plans on doing the same thing.

To be fair though my hands move faster than my brain so I don't blame you for not understanding the literal garbage I type out.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just got my first bill on the SK plan, it was $66.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Weird :/
Did you get the plan outright or did you have to switch from an Ontario plan?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mine was 60-something too. If you switched mid-cycle it's probably because you got charged at your old rate for whatever part of the cycle you were on your old plan.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Weird :/
Did you get the plan outright or did you have to switch from an Ontario plan?

They gave me the plan outright.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Depending on when they set the billing date, your first bill will have an extra 1/31-30/31 for the current month, and then you pay your regular rate for the next month.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Scudworth posted:

I'd suggest calling and asking them some questions, as both Zoomer Media and CARP are orgs for seniors, and the phone plans are intended for them. As per the legal stuff at the bottom, the plans come with a CARP membership and you have to be at least 55 years old to get one of those.

I couldn't get through to Zoomer's customer service, but I called their parent company CityFone who is offering a similar deal, 400 weekday Canada-wide minutes/1GB data/unlimited text/caller ID/voicemail for $40/month + 50% off for the first 3 months, on new activations with 2-year contracts only. With the 2-year contract you can also get one of the low-end Rogers phones for $0 (Galaxy S III Mini, HTC Desire 510, Galaxy Core LTE, Lumia 635, BlackBerry Q5). The promo ends January 31.

I also called up Fido and see what they can offer me. They let me keep my old $30 data and were able to switch my stupid local minutes/local SMS/caller ID/voicemail package to their new $35 standard plan with 10% off. So for $61.5 (30+31.5) I'm getting 250 weekday Canada-wide minutes/6GB data/unlimited international MMS/caller ID/voicemail. That's not too bad eh? Almost comparable to the SK/MB plan. I may just end up keeping this on month-to-month.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
If you are on wind have a moto x (2014)* and just got the lolipop update, for the love of god, do not loving run the update, it will brick your phone!

http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2t8mrd/moto_x_2014_wind_ota_update_pushed_also_my_phone/

* Not sure if its just the moto x or any wind android phone

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Demon_Corsair posted:

If you are on wind have a moto x (2014)* and just got the lolipop update, for the love of god, do not loving run the update, it will brick your phone!

http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2t8mrd/moto_x_2014_wind_ota_update_pushed_also_my_phone/

* Not sure if its just the moto x or any wind android phone

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/22/wind-mobile-users-complaining-of-problems-with-moto-x-lollipop-soak-test/

quote:

“Yesterday we began testing Android 5.0 Lollipop by pushing out a beta upgrade to a small number of WIND Moto X (2nd Gen.) users in Canada. Some of those users are reporting issues with the test upgrade and we are actively looking into the cause. We’re asking the owners that have been impacted to return their affected Moto X to a WIND store for a replacement. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this causes.”

So the soak 100% bricked the phones. :shepface:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

so did corporate not want to shell out a few hundos on a test device, or did that happen in the lab and they just decided "ah fuckit, that's not a big issue"

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Against my better judgement I'm looking to ditch my cell phone plan in favour of a work cell phone (with limited data usage. Meh. Free!)

code:
6GB Super Plan $60.00 
Savings: Monthly Fee Discount $-10.00 
iPhone Value Pk w/US&Intl Text* $12.79 
6pm Early Evening Calling $0.00 
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer/Call Display $0.00 
MY10 Canada-Wide $0.00 

Total $62.79 
I have 15 months left on my contract. I know it's a really good plan, but should I try to sell it, or just be thankful that someone is willing to take over the contract?

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I get notices on my Nexus 5 to update to 5.0.1 which from what I've read is garbage.
I'll probably wait till 5.1 and go with a custom rom of some sort because I can't be arsed to tweak and fiddle with things.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

custom rom (...) I can't be arsed to tweak and fiddle with things.

:ironicat:

FWIW Lollipop has been completely fine on a Nexus 4 so far.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

To anyone thinking of doing the 6 months free service Mobi to Wind port deal, let me re-assure you that Wind's coverage is as lovely as people are trying to tell you. I even looked at the map of towers before switching and confirmed that they were pretty much equal and in the same places. But lo and behold I only get a 3G connection at home. Which I don't care so much about as I have full wifi coverage, but I have no doubt I'll be leaving wind after this blissfull bill-less 6 months is up.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

I see it now lol.
I was just worried about doing the OTA update after I've rooted it because I had to fix a big fuckup with my gnex when it updated.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

To anyone thinking of doing the 6 months free service Mobi to Wind port deal, let me re-assure you that Wind's coverage is as lovely as people are trying to tell you. I even looked at the map of towers before switching and confirmed that they were pretty much equal and in the same places. But lo and behold I only get a 3G connection at home. Which I don't care so much about as I have full wifi coverage, but I have no doubt I'll be leaving wind after this blissfull bill-less 6 months is up.

I switched to Wind and I am having a hell of a time sending text messages to existing contacts. I already had to wipe the message history for one contact just to get them through. I'm not sure if this is Wind's fault or yet another lovely lingering android bug that google will never fix, but it's very annoying.

The main benefit I found to Wind is being able to get service in the lower levels of the Eaton Center. Otherwise it's not any better than Mobilicity, and actually the voice quality is worse.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'll always concede this point towards Robelus: they do indeed operate a fine network.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I'll always concede this point towards Robelus: they do indeed operate a fine network.

And they even built it themselves this time.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I got fed up with paying Rogers close to $200 for two lines a couple of weeks back and decided to cancel my account and go over to Wind. I switched back to Rogers two days later. I couldn't get coverage at all half of the time (even not that far away from towers!) and when I did, the voice quality was poo poo and the data speeds sucked. Yeah, I was paying significantly less than what I paid for Rogers, but what's the point when it doesn't work half of the time?

I should add, this wasn't my experience in the middle of nowhere. This was in Toronto proper.

jot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 25, 2015

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
So I signed up with the Zoomer's deal mentioned a page or two ago. I guess it's targeted towards older folk since it comes with the CARP membership and stuff, but Zoomer Wireless doesn't actually care about your age or anything, they didn't ask at all when I signed up. So now I'm getting 400 Canada-wide minutes, unlimited e&w, and 1GB data for $36/month, and got a free Samsung Galaxy Core LTE with a 2 year contract. You can get a Samsung Galaxy S4 for $99 instead but you need to sign up for a $60 ($54 actually)/month minimum plan. This is on the Roger's network too so coverage is as good as you would expect. That's a pretty drat good deal imo, a hell of a lot better then what Fido retentions was offering me.

Here's the page with the plans most people will be interested in, though they have some cheaper plans without data if you're some sort of luddite: http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/smartphone-and-blackberry-plans/

This deal was supposed to end at the end of January, though I've heard they're extending it to the end of February, not 100% sure on that though.

If you do sign up mention coupon code ZOOMCHARGER to get a free car charger. Also they have a referral program, so if you sign up shoot me a PM first and I'll give you my account info and then we both get a $25 credit.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Sassafras posted:

Assuming pricing goes live as described, the refreshed Public Mobile looks like a winner for an awful lot of people:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/02/03/telus-rebrands-public-mobile-as-canadas-cooperative-wireless-provider-offers-data-only-lte-plans/

Just how many loving separate brands do three mobile operators serving a national population smaller than California need?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
As many as it takes to confuse the public about competition in Canada.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Sassafras posted:

Assuming pricing goes live as described, the refreshed Public Mobile looks like a winner for an awful lot of people:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/02/03/telus-rebrands-public-mobile-as-canadas-cooperative-wireless-provider-offers-data-only-lte-plans/

Plans start at $10 a month. It's really great. You get literally nothing every month and it only costs $10.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I was paying ~$10/mo in the UK for effectively unlimited everything. In Canada, $10/mo now gets you literally nothing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Hmm. Unlimited talk, text and 1gb data comes to 45/mo which is almost tempting enough to switch from Wind's $35/mo plan. Considering Wind's data is so unreliable, I'm lucky to use even 100mb/month on average.

Maybe I'll wait and see what happens with this spectrum auction that Wind is supposedly gonna win this year.

$10/mo for literally nothing is hilarious though.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Kreez posted:

... In Canada, $10/mo now gets you literally nothing.

New thread title right here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any idea what an unlocked SGH-T959P Fascinate S 4G is worth? I can't find anything on Kijiji to gauge.

Using a Moto G as my main phone, but before I did I unlocked it and had it as a backup pay-as-you-go phone on 7-11 Shoutout or whatever the hell its called but I never use it.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="441187591"]

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="441187591"]

Please make this happen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm going to be heading to the states for a week soon and was wondering what my best option is for a small amount of minutes/text messaging/maybe 250mb of data? I'm currently on Koodo but I'm leery about using any sort of roaming addon after hearing horror stories for years about people with thousand dollar cell phone bills. Any suggestions/tips/warnings?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No suggestions for data but I just bought a cheap $10 pay-as-you-go Tracfone from Walmart and picked up a US #.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

I'm going to be heading to the states for a week soon and was wondering what my best option is for a small amount of minutes/text messaging/maybe 250mb of data? I'm currently on Koodo but I'm leery about using any sort of roaming addon after hearing horror stories for years about people with thousand dollar cell phone bills. Any suggestions/tips/warnings?

I use Koodo's USA add-ons multiple times a year with no trouble at all and am willing to vouch for it (never bothered with data though).

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 6, 2015