Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

Holden did used to do a double cab version which was much nicer to be in, but it ended up impractically long so no one bought them.

Oh hell no, there is little to no real difference in niceness but otherwise the crew cabs loving suck. The rear seats are nasty to sit in. Less load capacity than a dual cab Hilux, nasty suspension options, less load carrying capacity too. The length is the least of their problems, good idea hobbled by lousy execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

captainOrbital posted:

Didn't Dodge make a hideous purple truck with a drop-top?

The Dakota convertible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't forget the Chevy SSR too. You can even get it with an LS2 and 6 speed manual for like one model year (2005 I think). Folding retractable hard top too:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm pretty much convinced I'm one of the only people alive who genuinely likes the Chevy SSR. And I can never explain why I like it, just that I do.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KakerMix posted:

A Pontiac I would have been interested in.

Buddy had a G8 GT. It was a savage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh hell no, there is little to no real difference in niceness but otherwise the crew cabs loving suck. The rear seats are nasty to sit in. Less load capacity than a dual cab Hilux, nasty suspension options, less load carrying capacity too. The length is the least of their problems, good idea hobbled by lousy execution.

Well I've never actually been in the back on one, but the front is certainly a lot more spacious than the single cab models

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

T1g4h posted:

I'm pretty much convinced I'm one of the only people alive who genuinely likes the Chevy SSR. And I can never explain why I like it, just that I do.

I worked at an auto auction a decade ago that had a few of the first ones and they went for a ridiculous amount of money. I thought that bode well for them but then they went the way of the Prowler.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

Didn't Dodge make a hideous purple truck with a drop-top?

Nope it was Chevy, I give you the SSR;

And here it is in purple with the top down;

Edit: Dodge (Plymouth) produced the Prowler;

And of course the Chrysler gave us the PT Cruiser, but I will not willing subject humans to its hideousness.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 6, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wasn't the SSR used as a point to explain how pre-bankruptcy GM lost its way?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't the SSR used as a point to explain how pre-bankruptcy GM lost its way?

I don't think the SSR was hated that much, but Bob Lutz makes a big point in his book about how the Envoy XUV (stupid GM SUV that has a retractable roof in the back so it can carry tall stuff) and how it was designed to be a 'grandfather clock mover' and passed all the focus tests and market research with flying colors, yet was a terrible car that no one wanted:

See also Pontiac Aztek. Lutz mentions how the managers of that car came to him in tears because they were so proud of that car and that it passed every checkpoint on time. Doesn't matter if you ship a piece of poo poo on time, it's still a piece of poo poo.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What kind of focus tests were they doing that said those cars were good ideas?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

keevo posted:

What kind of focus tests were they doing that said those cars were good ideas?

pulling random shoppers out of a mall.

seriously, if somebody made me go to a mall, and then someone came up and started asking me poo poo, i would gently caress with them and we'd get a new PT cruiser.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 6, 2015

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Well, the SSR is a good idea. I like the body and concept. But since development from prototype awesomeness to production vehicle takes a few years; in that time large SUV's went from a small hype to what the mainstream audience were buying. The Aztek, also, is a really good family car (if you don't care about exterior appearances) it has nooks and crannies and the space to carry a family and their luggage on a road trip. However, it was not enough for the crowd that traded in their minivans for SUV's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Exactly, i'd say dumb stuff like that so they would build a terrible car.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Well, the SSR is a good idea. I like the body and concept.

I can't imagine how a pickup, that has a hard tonneau cover that does not permit you to carry anything of substance, and loses half of its cargo capacity when you put the folding metal roof down, could remotely be called a good idea.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Outside Dawg posted:

I can't imagine how a pickup, that has a hard tonneau cover that does not permit you to carry anything of substance, and loses half of its cargo capacity when you put the folding metal roof down, could remotely be called a good idea.
I haven't paid that much attention to detail there's a tonneau cover that you can't just chuck away? So you can't actually load higher than the cover? Seriously? No wonder GM was (is) doomed.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Outside Dawg posted:

And here it is in purple with the top down;

Edit: Dodge (Plymouth) produced the Prowler;

And of course the Chrysler gave us the PT Cruiser, but I will not willing subject humans to its hideousness.

drat, I used to like the Prowler until I saw this picture and the words "PT Cruiser" in the same frame...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The prowler looked really cool to preteen boys, which I was at the time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cojawfee posted:

The prowler looked really cool to preteen boys, which I was at the time.

Even as a preteen boy I remember being very unhappy when I found out that you couldn't get it with a stick.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Even as a preteen boy I remember being very unhappy when I found out that you couldn't get it with a stick.

I that a car like that needs the tallest stick shift that can possibly fit under the headliner. And it needs to be capped with a skull or a pair of dice or something. Basically the shifter from Holdbrooks' Bosu truck. Except not ironic.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I think the SSR was targeted at 50+ boomers who remembered cruising around in hotrod 40's and 50's pickup trucks and wanted something similar. I seriously doubt they ever expected any owner to use the bed for anything beyond hauling golf clubs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Besides, tons of people put tonneau covers on their pickups that are too much work to take off so they can't fit anything over 18 inches tall into their huge pickup bed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Besides, tons of people put tonneau covers on their pickups that are too much work to take off so they can't fit anything over 18 inches tall into their huge pickup bed.

Yeah, you can take it off in 10 minutes in your garage if you need to, and you don't need a filler panel to make it look like a truck again. the box is also rarely carpeted. You can still fit a queensize matress and box spring with the cover on.

That said, the SSR is rated for 2500lbs towing and 1300lb payload. The reg cab SRT-10 ram wasn't rated for towing, and only had a 500lb payload rating because the clutch and transmission was never designed to move weight.

Funnily enough, both are slower than a base model F-150, hemi ram or 6.2/8 speed silverado.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

I think the SSR was targeted at 50+ boomers who remembered cruising around in hotrod 40's and 50's pickup trucks and wanted something similar. I seriously doubt they ever expected any owner to use the bed for anything beyond hauling golf clubs.

I don't know a set of golf clubs might be pushing it a bit. Maybe with the tailgate down.

(e): Especially once it finishes swallowing that roof.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 6, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I haven't paid that much attention to detail there's a tonneau cover that you can't just chuck away? So you can't actually load higher than the cover? Seriously? No wonder GM was (is) doomed.

The GM/Holden ute high performance utes down here are the same. But the cover can be removed and stored in your garage. They still have lovely load and tow ratings compared to the ford ute. The ford ute is rear tray on a chassis, unlike the unibody GM/H, so the ford is a real workhorse available with tray/flat bed, or tonneau cover, or canopy/custom storage for lock away items like tools and gas cylinders and has greater load and tow ratings; which is the reason why my ute is a ford even if it means it doesn't have a LSx.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 6, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Terrible Robot posted:

I felt the same way about the Volvo 850R wagon when I was young. Although I somehow found out (this was before every company in the world had a website) that the Canadian version was offered as a 5-speed.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KakerMix posted:

A Pontiac I would have been interested in.

Everyone said this on the internet, but when it came out, nobody bought one.

Which was a big factor for why you can't buy a new Pontiac today.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They don't have a season preview/schedule for TGUK anywhere do they? Basically I am wondering if we know if and when the UK vs US competition is happening.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Everyone said this on the internet, but when it came out, nobody bought one.

Which was a big factor for why you can't buy a new Pontiac today.

I drove one when they came to Canada. Other than the engine there was nothing for me to like. Felt cheap and they wanted too much for it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Xenoid posted:

I drove one when they came to Canada. Other than the engine there was nothing for me to like. Felt cheap and they wanted too much for it.

Cars area lot more expensive in Australia so I don't see how selling those models in North America was ever going to work.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Outside Dawg posted:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

The thing I thought was most interesting about this week was the braking test. I know the highway estimates are high on purpose and those were fancy performance cars but seeing them stop up at like 1/3 the distance was crazy.

If the UK highway code if like the US code, the stopping distance includes a generous allowance for reaction time. So the tests were more than a little bit disingenuous.

Way back in the day when I took driver's education, they showed a video with a driver going around a track at various speeds, and a marker charge would randomly go off, as a signal to panic stop, and then a second charge would go off when the brake was first pressed, and they would measure from the first charge to where the car stopped. That would have been a much fairer test. It also showed graphically how far you travel before you can react.

Their discussion about being allowed to travel at 2-3 times the speed limit assumes braking distance scales 1:1 with speed. It doesn't, braking time scales 1:1, but the distance is a the second integral of the acceleration vs time function. So stopping distance increases much more than linearly with speed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even allowing for that, the Highway code stopping distances are pretty much based on "myopic pensioner with the reaction times somewhat akin to Kelvin's pitch glacier experiment, driving a Ford Prefect with decidedly dicky brakes".

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

I remember this! Wasn't he like, born from an egg? A car egg?!?? loving Animes.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lt_kennedy posted:

You tryin' to tell me that's not how cars are made?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

lt_kennedy posted:

Apparently yes, he was.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

Exactly, i'd say dumb stuff like that so they would build a terrible car.

Also, is there a way to get a coachbuilder to make a shooting brake version of a Dodge Challenger? I see that Pontiac G8 Wagon and I see the occasional Dodge Magnum and I see loads of Challengers and dammit I want a Challenger Wagon with the same side tail lines as the Magnum but also with the iconic tail lights.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 8, 2015

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Jesus the memories flood right back - also the one where there was a baby born with a wheel for legs - google only gives me pictures of children in wheelchairs :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CannonFodder posted:

Also, is there a way to get a coachbuilder to make a shooting brake version of a Dodge Challenger? I see that Pontiac G8 Wagon and I see the occasional Dodge Magnum and I see loads of Challengers and dammit I want a Challenger Wagon with the same side tail lines as the Magnum but also with the iconic tail lights.

You might be able to go back in time, buy an old challenger and make a shooting brake version of that. Nowadays, the body of the car is the frame, so you can't really do all that much to modify it.