Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
So sherpies dont like bring bodies down off the mountain, but would they object to taking my body up the mountain and perhaps posing it on the summit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Bitter Mushroom posted:

So sherpies dont like bring bodies down off the mountain, but would they object to taking my body up the mountain and perhaps posing it on the summit?

They do remove bodies. It's just hard to do so when they're in the death zone. They're absolutely not going to haul a body up there. You're going to have to bite the bullet and spend $20,000 on a crappy expedition (no need for gear) is your goal is to be a body on the mountain.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Maneck posted:

They do remove bodies. It's just hard to do so when they're in the death zone. They're absolutely not going to haul a body up there. You're going to have to bite the bullet and spend $20,000 on a crappy expedition (no need for gear) is your goal is to be a body on the mountain.

Just get it on loan. What are they going to do?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Just get it on loan. What are they going to do?

Loan officers are big fans of unsecured loans in the first place. Much less so when the stated purpose is a vacation to a place with a well established "Death Zone".

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Maneck posted:

Loan officers are big fans of unsecured loans in the first place. Much less so when the stated purpose is a vacation to a place with a well established "Death Zone".

I was thinking it'd be best to lie to them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm picturing Bitter Mushroom sitting in the bank's office wearing full survival suit + O2 tank and stone bluffing "I want to start a small business".

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMV42czPCI

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

I was thinking it'd be best to lie to them.

If we're going to start lying to people to get their money, go full out and start a cult. The key to heaven lies at the summit of Everest, or whatever. The bottom line is, once you get there you can send for the rest of them. They hand over their life savings and a select few carry you as far up as they can get.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Maneck posted:

If we're going to start lying to people to get their money, go full out and start a cult. The key to heaven lies at the summit of Everest, or whatever. The bottom line is, once you get there you can send for the rest of them. They hand over their life savings and a select few carry you as far up as they can get.

This makes me wonder: how many religious wackos with no training would it take to get my body to the top of the mountain? Like how the Sherpas run a logistics train--how would randoms fare? Hundreds would die, and exponentially so as you get higher and higher, but who really cares?

Bonus points for no oxygen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I need supplemental oxygen so I can remain coherent enough to speak to the mountain god, as I am his prophet. You all need to be delierious so as not to go mad when we finally meet the mountain god.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LILXfwhdk

http://i.imgur.com/nc1nRgs.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/VbaQqRh.gifv

Seeing a bunch of avalanches and people falling off mountains lately. I got a bad (good?) feeling about Everest this year, guys.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
by the way, this blog should probably be in the OP.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/everest/everest-2015-coverage/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

by the way, this blog should probably be in the OP.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/everest/everest-2015-coverage/

Will do!!

Just watched this documentary after reading about it in Graham Hoyland's excellent book Last Hours on Everest. It features the UK actor and luvvie Brian Blessed (he of GORDON'S ALIVE!!!!!!! fame) attempting to recreate Mallory & Irvine's 1924 attempt. It was filmed in 1989, before they found Mallory's body. It has some excellent footage and photography, and he meets up with some mountaineering legends, including Reinhold Messner and Chris Bonington- and Captain John Baptist Lucius Noel, who was one of the first British people to see Everest after he snuck in in disguise.

He died while they were filming this and there are some kind of hilarious but moving scenes of Blessed yelling his name at the top of his (mighty) lungs at 25,000 ft. He was 99 when he died and I must confess I have never seen a face quite like this.

It also touches upon the way the 'tone' of expeditions on Everest were changing - remember this is 1989 and I don't believe there was the commercial element like there is now, but the combative atmosphere among rival teams is certainly apparent.

It looks like it was filmed off somebody's VHS copy and there are some bits of very wonky editing, but it is certainly worth an hour and twenty minutes of your time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REU-8Aig-tc

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Rondette posted:

It looks like it was filmed off somebody's VHS copy and there are some bits of very wonky editing, but it is certainly worth an hour and twenty minutes of your time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REU-8Aig-tc

Paging: AtomicThumbs. We need this restored and in a museum!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

This makes me wonder: how many religious wackos with no training would it take to get my body to the top of the mountain? Like how the Sherpas run a logistics train--how would randoms fare? Hundreds would die, and exponentially so as you get higher and higher, but who really cares?

Bonus points for no oxygen.

It depends on how in shape your followers are. When you think about it, though, getting people who join a cult into shape sounds like a lot of work.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Rondette posted:

Will do!!

Just watched this documentary after reading about it in Graham Hoyland's excellent book Last Hours on Everest.

Getting this now. Thank you so much for all your amazing book recs. Just finished the Zuckerman one about K2 and I loved it. Insofar as you can love a book about people being crushed, maimed and dismembered by an rear end in a top hat of a mountain that wants everybody dead, but you know what I mean, right?

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Three years later, after many delays, the restoration is done, only to be revealed that the VHS was actually a documentary about the construction of the Mount Fuji Radar System.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Anais Nun posted:

Getting this now. Thank you so much for all your amazing book recs. Just finished the Zuckerman one about K2 and I loved it. Insofar as you can love a book about people being crushed, maimed and dismembered by an rear end in a top hat of a mountain that wants everybody dead, but you know what I mean, right?

One of these threads, some goon who gets hooked with the book recommendations is going to actually try to climb Everest. Or will fake (in the thread) that he tried to climb Everest. It's not clear yet which would be funnier.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Maneck posted:

It depends on how in shape your followers are. When you think about it, though, getting people who join a cult into shape sounds like a lot of work.

Maybe I caught onto the person who founded Crossfit's ultimate goal?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Install a series of pullup bars all the way to the summit and they'll just kip their way up.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Maybe I caught onto the person who founded Crossfit's ultimate goal?

Makes sense. Climbing Everest is probably safer than some of the weightlifting techniques they employ. It totally desensitizes followers to irrational, unnecessary risk.

hailthefish posted:

Install a series of pullup bars all the way to the summit and they'll just kip their way up.

No need to install fancy equipment. There are ladder bridges already in place which are just as good:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It always terrified me that they cross those ladders by using their crampons to bridge the gap between rungs. Otherwise your foot is more or less suspended over air

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Really excited to see this thread carrying on, I wrote the OP of 2013, the year after Shah-Klorfine got #rekt.

I'm not any kind of mountain expert but like you guys I have a real fascination with this poo poo, the psychology that drives people to do it, and so on. I'm also a technical rescuer, so I have some small appreciation for the difficulty that the mountain rescue and recovery teams face, though the only mountain rescues I've done are in relatively low but technical points in Appalachia.

Someone earlier asked about why people just don't turn around, why when someone says to them "hey, bozo, you're running out of O2 and basically you're a shitler so you should probably go back down or die" they don't go "oh, poo poo, this experienced dude is telling me I'm gonna die, I should quit." The reason is largely to do with the fact that once you're in the death zone, you're not getting all of the same amount of oxygen per breath that you need. Yes, you do acclimatization climbs to improve this, but the unique thing about the death zone is that this is the point to which your body can no longer compensate. Earlier someone made a joke about 8000 feet and Aspen, so to be clear, the death zone isn't 8000 feet, the death zone is 8000 meters. At this point, the atmospheric air pressure is about a third of that at sea level. Because your lungs are only so big, and the size of a breath has to do with expansion of your lungs, you simply can't get enough air to run your body. You breathe in, you suck in as much air as you can, but because the air is less dense, fewer molecules fill more space, and so you get less oxygen per breath. Less oxygen per breath is a bad thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

This is a video that demonstrates the effects of hypoxia on a human. Here, a dude is seen struggling with basic single digit subtraction. At this level of hypoxia, decision making just ain't gonna happen. You're super boned once it sets in. This also tends to be a very dangerous situation for the guide - you can't manhandle a person down, the dead weight makes it extremely difficult, and that's if you're fortunate enough for dead weight - if they fight you, you will tire yourself out and become exhausted as well.

Tibetans and Sherpas are uniquely adapted to live in hypoxic environments - they exhibit different habits of breathing, taking more rapid breaths and exchanging oxygen more efficiently despite actually having a lower count of hemoglobin - red blood cells. They maintain habits of breathing that lowlanders simply do not possess, and their physiology also maintains cerebral blood flow better at altitude. They're beasts for mountains, and truly evolved for climbing, but even they can struggle in the death zone, and it's not at all easy for them despite their dope-rear end mountain genes.

My favorite interview with a Sherpa has to be at the beginning of The Summit, a documentary about the 2008 K2 disaster (available on Netflix), where they interview a Sherpa who basically is like "Westerners climb mountains to reach the summit and this is the most important thing, but we just like to climb, and the summit is not that important."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Paramemetic posted:

Someone earlier asked about why people just don't turn around, why when someone says to them "hey, bozo, you're running out of O2 and basically you're a shitler so you should probably go back down or die" they don't go "oh, poo poo, this experienced dude is telling me I'm gonna die, I should quit." The reason is largely to do with the fact that once you're in the death zone, you're not getting all of the same amount of oxygen per breath that you need.

There's definitely an huge element of this when it comes to ignoring turnaround times and such, but there's also the fact that if you go into a major climb absolutely adamant you will reach the top and literally nothing will stop you, you're priming yourself for disaster. People who go into a climb with their teams safety as their absolute top priority and the summit just a desirable bonus are obviously still going to be severely impaired, but that impairment is probably less likely to make them ignore good advice.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Fatkraken posted:

There's definitely an huge element of this when it comes to ignoring turnaround times and such, but there's also the fact that if you go into a major climb absolutely adamant you will reach the top and literally nothing will stop you, you're priming yourself for disaster. People who go into a climb with their teams safety as their absolute top priority and the summit just a desirable bonus are obviously still going to be severely impaired, but that impairment is probably less likely to make them ignore good advice.

This is true, your deeply held ideas and plans and beliefs and so on are going to run the show when it comes times to make decisions. If you're in the death zone and life sucks, but you're ideologically oriented towards not killing yourself or others by playing it safe, that's likely the decision you'll make. Not a lot of Sherpas or professional guides die on misguided attempts, and it's largely because they have a deeply held conviction for what they're going to do.

Shah-Klorfine was dumb as hell and committed suicide on that mountain, but nobody was in the wrong about it. I don't believe any wrongdoing occurred. It's a classic case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Brian Blessed doing a Haka on Everest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8nwzOwtoM

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Shah-Klorfine was dumb as hell and committed suicide on that mountain, but nobody was in the wrong about it. I don't believe any wrongdoing occurred. It's a classic case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

The "documentary" about her was done by the "5th Estate", who are actually investigative reporters. That show's reporters have lots of experience making companies look bad for not preventing their customers from doing stupid things. They were running ever trick in the book trying to suggest that her death was anyone's fault but her own. It did not work.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

New York City Woman Dies From Cold Exposure on Hiking Trip in New Hampshire

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-York-City-Woman-Dies-Cold-Exposure-Hiking-Trip-New-Hampshire-292144661.html

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

Search and rescue crews couldn't reach the area overnight because of extreme winds exceeding 100 mph and temperatures about 30 degrees below zero, authorities said.

what the fuuuuuck :stare:

is there any good videos of how harsh this place can get?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ROoNT7-ZI

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Alan Smithee posted:

This was posted in the hiking thread. Watch S&R personnel get blown off their feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I love that even now there are mountains with no recorded summits. Mostly because of a combination of extreme remoteness (think the northern Greenland interior) and difficult climbing, but still. In this era of season-long heavy traffic on Everest, nature's still holding a lot of cards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no way that was anything other than a suicide.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way that was anything other than a suicide.

A 32-year-old Manhattan financial analyst

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
she also activated the search beacon. I suppose she could have changed her mind but if you are from New York there's a lot of tall buildings which seems more the MO for financial types just sayin

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

This was posted in the hiking thread. Watch S&R personnel get blown off their feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk

:stare: I guess it's no wonder that there's never been a successful winter ascent of K2! Winds that strong could be fun if there weren't steep slopes, below-zero temperatures, or sharp rocks nearby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
She decides to kill herself because she hosed up big time at her financial firm but no one knows about it yet. She tells her husband that she's going hiking and he needs to drop her off. He goes along with it because he doesn't care about that hiking poo poo and at least she'll be out of the house for a while. She gets dropped off and starts hiking into the mountains. As she starts to freeze to death, she realizes that freezing to death really sucks so she pulls the emergency beacon in her watch. S&R teams know there's no loving way they'll ever be able to get out there with all the wind and snow. She dies of exposure.

Case closed.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
They're changing the recommended route up Everest to avoid the left side of the Khumbu icefall, which is relatively easy to climb but where the majority of avalanches happen, to be replaced by a more central route up the icefall, which will probably kill people in different ways. I think a more technical but safer route is a good thing, though maybe less people will summit / more people will die of exhaustion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

A 32-year-old Manhattan financial analyst

... and nothing of value was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
so any news on the 2015 plans? Any big teams heading to the mountain, for a May summit with 2-3 months acclimatization they'll be hitting Katmandu/Tibet pretty soon right?

• Locked thread