Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Kind of a bummer. Being able to convert to the GPE ROM was one of the big draws of the One M8 for me.
And that's why it's no longer available. You weren't willing to buy it but you did want the benefits of having done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kind of a bummer. Being able to convert to the GPE ROM was one of the big draws of the One M8 for me.

I'm sure that I would have replaced my S4 earlier if it never had a GPE rom running around. Right now is a rock solid device with a Snapdragon 600, 2Gb ram, 16gb internal + 32gb microSD, great 5" 1080p SAMOLED display and stock android. I have to go really up to match or even get a better one than this. A Moto X 2014 would be the cheapest option right now.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

LastInLine posted:

How do you intend to update moving forward? Now that rooting completely breaks incremental updates you're pretty much stuck for the life of the device.

With root you can install a dual recovery and then create/flash pre-rooted images.

xda has images available for all current versions and they have instructions for creating one yourself.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

And that's why it's no longer available. You weren't willing to buy it but you did want the benefits of having done so.
Well the value proposition would have been pretty different if it weren't subsidized. Why wasn't it available under contract from any carrier, exactly? I'm sure they all make money with the bundled crap, but, on the other hand, an iPhone on contract is $200 or whatever it costs. And if we were talking about, say, $300 for the GPE under contract and $200 for the non-GPE that's a little bit easier to swallow.

Anyway I kind of resent being called a freeloader when I'm still paying for the phone (and probably more when you work out the contract, although I get help from my job there), but whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well the value proposition would have been pretty different if it weren't subsidized. Why wasn't it available under contract from any carrier, exactly?

I'm sure they all make money with the bundled crap,

Anyway I kind of resent being called a freeloader when I'm still paying for the phone (and probably more when you work out the contract, although I get help from my job there), but whatever.
The cost of the phone is what the GPe phones were priced at. If you didn't pay that, then you're using the subsidy you get from bundling shitware.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Performing a system / manufacturer update to a rooted device will:

1) perform the update
2) unroot the device
3) do nothing / fail update
4) screw up any installed apps that rely on root
5) potentially gently caress poo poo up badly.

Please reply with as many of the above as are applicable. If the answer is something like 2 & 4, and further assuming the update is rootable, would those root-requiring apps start working fine again, or would I need to uninstall before the system update and then reinstall after rooting?

Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Performing a system / manufacturer update to a rooted device will:

1) perform the update
2) unroot the device
3) do nothing / fail update
4) screw up any installed apps that rely on root
5) potentially gently caress poo poo up badly.

Please reply with as many of the above as are applicable. If the answer is something like 2 & 4, and further assuming the update is rootable, would those root-requiring apps start working fine again, or would I need to uninstall before the system update and then reinstall after rooting?

Thanks!
Depends on the phone but all of them can happen.

Edit: To clarify a little, every device is different and not only that, every update path is different. On a Nexus number 3 will happen, but on some Motorolas (I think?) you could get it to a state where your only option was sending it to Motorola.

If you understand what's happening though it's pretty obvious what will happen ahead of time. On a non-Nexus you'd expect it to just do #3, because it should just look and see if /system is identical to the way it should be and abort if it isn't but if it goes through (like it might on pre-Lollipop updates), then it would remove the su binary so root would break (so #1, #2, & #4).

Of course rarely #5 will happen and if you're in a position with a locked bootloader, no way to flash a stock image, and a broken install you could easily get to the point where nothing you do will recover the device.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 3, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

LastInLine posted:

Depends on the phone but all of them can happen.

Edit: To clarify a little, every device is different and not only that, every update path is different. On a Nexus number 3 will happen, but on some Motorolas (I think?) you could get it to a state where your only option was sending it to Motorola.

If you understand what's happening though it's pretty obvious what will happen ahead of time. On a non-Nexus you'd expect it to just do #3, because it should just look and see if /system is identical to the way it should be and abort if it isn't but if it goes through (like it might on pre-Lollipop updates), then it would remove the su binary so root would break (so #1, #2, & #4).

Of course rarely #5 will happen and if you're in a position with a locked bootloader, no way to flash a stock image, and a broken install you could easily get to the point where nothing you do will recover the device.

Dunno if it matters, but it's a tablet not a phone. Asus MeMo pad or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Dunno if it matters, but it's a tablet not a phone. Asus MeMo pad or something.
I'm not familiar but why are you asking? The rule is pretty simple: If you're rooted you should never ever do an OTA.

Are you asking because you've already done it or because you're tempted to?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I'm not familiar but why are you asking? The rule is pretty simple: If you're rooted you should never ever do an OTA.

Are you asking because you've already done it or because you're tempted to?

Tempted to, wasn't aware there was a hard and fast rule against it. It's running 4.2.2 and it'd be nice to update but also I am extraordinarily lazy and don't feel like having to learn about roms and such, if they even exist for this rando tablet. OTA seemed like it'd be the way to go if it had a chance of working.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The problem is that it's an Asus tablet (Asus is pretty good for making computer components, not so much complete computer or terminal units, and a tablet is both in one). Support is predicated on people already knowing what they're doing, for the most part.

First step: Settings > About and write down the model number somewhere. (Example: ME370T (the actual ID of the old Nexus 7))

Plug that into the product search at Asus Support, and set your OS to the only option (Android). If you're lucky, under drivers it'll have factory images (the ones that are several hundred megabytes) and obtuse instructions involving consulting the manual for the update guide. If not, you get to hope someone on XDA has made something useful (and it looks pretty sparse from here).

On that note, I can't imagine rooting on a device without factory images available being a good idea with the new /system security model. If rooting is a mandatory feature in your next device, you basically must verify this before shelling out actual dollars for it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The problem is that it's an Asus tablet (Asus is pretty good for making computer components, not so much complete computer or terminal units, and a tablet is both in one). Support is predicated on people already knowing what they're doing, for the most part.

First step: Settings > About and write down the model number somewhere. (Example: ME370T (the actual ID of the old Nexus 7))

Plug that into the product search at Asus Support, and set your OS to the only option (Android). If you're lucky, under drivers it'll have factory images (the ones that are several hundred megabytes) and obtuse instructions involving consulting the manual for the update guide. If not, you get to hope someone on XDA has made something useful (and it looks pretty sparse from here).

On that note, I can't imagine rooting on a device without factory images available being a good idea with the new /system security model. If rooting is a mandatory feature in your next device, you basically must verify this before shelling out actual dollars for it.

Alright, thanks for the info! I'm rooted now so I'll just stick with what I have. Honestly for $70 I really can't complain at all about this tablet. It's be nice if it had more ram but again for the price I paid I'm completely happy.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

The cost of the phone is what the GPe phones were priced at. If you didn't pay that, then you're using the subsidy you get from bundling shitware.

Except, not really, because you're paying the cost of the phone throughout the life of the contract, and, like I just said, iPhones are all subsidized at the same levels despite not being bundled with anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Except, not really, because you're paying the cost of the phone throughout the life of the contract, and, like I just said, iPhones are all subsidized at the same levels despite not being bundled with anything.
The difference is Apple can dictate terms. Verizon wanted to mess with the iPhone and Jobs simply refused to let them. Once Verizon relented they were allowed to have it but if customers hadn't demanded it you can be sure Verizon would not have budged.

Also subsidies aren't actually you simply paying the phone off, they're usually more and even if they weren't they exist to reduce churn and obscure the true price of the phone.

As GPe devices were anathema to carriers they had no incentive to carry them, subsidize them, or do anything with them at all and they didn't.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Ok, thanks for the lecture.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

LastInLine posted:

Wait, what? I always take the OTA on my Nexus 7, then it's just a few seconds of reinstalling super user to reroot. I mean it's not hard to use the factory image instead but is there any particular reason to avoid the OTA?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Unlike regulargonzalez you HAVE the option of a factory image and Google assumes people are going to do weird poo poo with Nexus devices. Also they probably consider it a point of pride to, if not succeed, then at least fail gracefully.

Asus may not make the same assumptions because most OEMs and certainly carriers don't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Wait, what? I always take the OTA on my Nexus 7, then it's just a few seconds of reinstalling super user to reroot. I mean it's not hard to use the factory image instead but is there any particular reason to avoid the OTA?
Sir Imaginative is correct, the availability of stock images is paramount.

The thing to note is that going forward OTAs will fail. Lollipop now looks at the whole of /system to determine whether it's been altered instead of just the files to be updated. What that means is that any change will result in it aborting. Going forward you'll need to dirty flash the stock images in fastboot to update as the OTA will not work for rooted devices.

vvv Exactly the same thing happened to me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 4, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My N7 isn't even rooted anymore and OTA updates STILL fail every time!

Supposedly this can be fixed by wiping the cache in recovery but I didn't find that out until after I dirty flashed 5.0.2.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I'm sure that I would have replaced my S4 earlier if it never had a GPE rom running around. Right now is a rock solid device with a Snapdragon 600, 2Gb ram, 16gb internal + 32gb microSD, great 5" 1080p SAMOLED display and stock android. I have to go really up to match or even get a better one than this. A Moto X 2014 would be the cheapest option right now.

This so much. I love my S4 with GPE 4.4.4 for now. If something better with stock Android comes up I'll be sure to consider it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
What's a good ROM for A Galaxy Note i717? I installed the latest Cyanogen for it and it's been a goddamn nightmare. Weird glitchy flickering all the time, random crashes that have been increasing in frequency, lag in apps that worked just fine in the stock ROM, random errors for random things, false battery statuses, decreased wifi range...

I'd just go back to stock but I was a dumbass who didn't make a backup.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Esroc posted:

What's a good ROM for A Galaxy Note i717? I installed the latest Cyanogen for it and it's been a goddamn nightmare. Weird glitchy flickering all the time, random crashes that have been increasing in frequency, lag in apps that worked just fine in the stock ROM, random errors for random things, false battery statuses, decreased wifi range...

I'd just go back to stock but I was a dumbass who didn't make a backup.

You don't need a backup to go back to stock, just find the Odin files and go crazy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Practically every device I've looked in to has a readily available "rooted stock" ROM that's hopefully pretty close to what it says on the box. Nothing more than the latest official ROM, prerooted and separated from any radio or bootloader updates that may come with the OTA so it can be easily installed from recovery. If you can tolerate the OEM customizations in the stock ROM that'll generally be the best choice as long as the device remains supported by the OEM.

Beyond that CM is generally the most compatible of the AOSP ROMs, so if it doesn't work reliably on a popular device like a high end Galaxy you're probably SOL as far as AOSP goes.

Basically the general rule these days seems to be the less customization is baked in to the ROM the better.

---

For that device in particular, it looks like you're kind of SOL one way or another. Official support ended at 4.1.2 as far as I can find and even the unofficial stuff seems to mostly stop at 4.3. The 4.4s seem to be hacks where a 4.4 userland is thrown on top of an earlier set of underpinnings, so their stability is likely questionable.

Since WebView isn't getting updated on pre-4.4 anymore anything in that category should be treated like XP PCs. Stop using if possible, otherwise treat as an appliance and don't expose it to random internet access. Anything that opens untrusted content in a browser is a possible attack vector.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Awesome, found a stock ROM that comes pre-rooted and it works beautifully. What app is best for removing bloatware, and is there a guide as to what is safe/unsafe bloat to remove? I know enough to not remove anything that I'm not 100% sure is safe, but a guide would still be helpful.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Esroc posted:

Awesome, found a stock ROM that comes pre-rooted and it works beautifully. What app is best for removing bloatware, and is there a guide as to what is safe/unsafe bloat to remove? I know enough to not remove anything that I'm not 100% sure is safe, but a guide would still be helpful.

I can't seem to find any good lists either, but for my Verizon GS5 I basically just deleted the crap that was really obviously useless like the NFL app, VZ Navigator (a pay service when Google Maps comes with Android? Really?), stupid trial apps like Caller Name ID, dumb holdover "buy poo poo" apps from before smartphones got big like Verizon Ringtones, that sort of thing. Other carriers have poo poo they pre-load along similar lines.

Don't delete stock system apps like the texting app even if you have a replacement for it. Other than that, it's usually not hard to tell what's just worthless junk.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 5, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The proper way to remove bloatware is to use SD Maid or Elixir2 to disable it or something if the phone won't let you from app info, because actually deleting/uninstalling apps in /system doesn't actually let you put more stuff on your phone.

Also ^ ^ ^ like he said - launchers and primary function apps should hand off gracefully without having to disable anything.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 5, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So there's a new Xposed being made or at least the systems are similar to Xposed. For right now it's called "El Pollo" (I know what this means but I have no idea if it's some weird XDA in joke or something). It's currently in private testing and being made by "HomerSP" and "N.Russell" who are both guys who ran a dev group called Villian ROM also XDA I guess I don't know. Either way it's legit and here's a link:

http://www.landofdroid.com/2015/xposed-style-framework-for-lollipop-in-beta-testing/

Take it as you will but whatever. Nothing really to get excited over yet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Is it actually legit? That article from some random Android site is the only information I could find on it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Is it actually legit? That article from some random Android site is the only information I could find on it.
There's some discussion on reddit where the author of that article is replying along with some guy named "Shen" who seems to be known and claims to be in the beta. But it's been a long time since I paid any attention to XDA so I don't know who these people are or how likely this is to turn into an actual releasable thing. Apparently it's a closed beta right now so you won't find any details on it elsewhere.

The name VillainROM is at least somewhat familiar to me, probably from back in my Desire/GNex days of actually using third-party ROMs.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tunga posted:

There's some discussion on reddit where the author of that article is replying along with some guy named "Shen" who seems to be known and claims to be in the beta. But it's been a long time since I paid any attention to XDA so I don't know who these people are or how likely this is to turn into an actual releasable thing. Apparently it's a closed beta right now so you won't find any details on it elsewhere.

The name VillainROM is at least somewhat familiar to me, probably from back in my Desire/GNex days of actually using third-party ROMs.
I don't remember exactly what shenye does but he's given away a lot of Android devices on reddit and is pretty well known in /r/Android. It sounds like it's at least a legit project and not just a high schooler with big plans, we'll see if they manage to get it to the same level.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shen Ye is an HTC guy. By which I mean he is just well known around for HTC stuff. He doesn't work for them as far as I know. He's also an Android dev.

According to his Twitter he installed the latest beta for it yesterday and there's a big update coming out for it soon.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Now I've got another weird issue. The ROM I installed was supposed to be pre-rooted. And sure enough, If I open an app such as Beastie Bay that checks for rooted phones as a piracy measure they say it is indeed rooted. However, none of my root utilities seem to detect it. Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, Super User, etc all have no access to root and SuperSU says "no binary installed."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Esroc posted:

Now I've got another weird issue. The ROM I installed was supposed to be pre-rooted. And sure enough, If I open an app such as Beastie Bay that checks for rooted phones as a piracy measure they say it is indeed rooted. However, none of my root utilities seem to detect it. Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, Super User, etc all have no access to root and SuperSU says "no binary installed."

If it's like modern CyanogenMod, check Settings > System > Superuser.

Also you may have busted the su binary or support chain by trying to shoehorn in another Superuser utility.

Alternatives include flashing download.chainfire.eu/supersu or reflashing your ROM.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

Also, for reference, this isn't actually "weird". Root detection comes in various forms and often relies on techniques other than just "can I get a root shell". The game is probably detecting that you have a SU flavour installed (checked by package name) or that your ROM is signed with debug keys.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tunga posted:

Also, for reference, this isn't actually "weird". Root detection comes in various forms and often relies on techniques other than just "can I get a root shell". The game is probably detecting that you have a SU flavour installed (checked by package name) or that your ROM is signed with debug keys.

Some banking industry goon was saying their root detection only worked half the time anyway so that definitely wouldn't surprise me

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Some banking industry goon was saying their root detection only worked half the time anyway so that definitely wouldn't surprise me
That was me :) .

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Decided to root my Note 4 and put CM12 on it because gently caress the police. I used the S-Pen when I first got the phone, but after going for a week during which I forgot it even existed, I decided to just go for it. The UI of touchwiz honestly didn't bother me as much as the fact that I couldn't truly uninstall all of those stupid Samsung apps that nobody has ever used, ever. This has made my phone basically a Nexus 6 with an SD card slot. Hooray! The phone was actually pretty drat fast even with touchwiz but now it just screams.

I think the battery life got slightly better?

Considering I had 13% left (but I wanted to plug it in and go to bed) I feel like I could have pretty easily gotten 20 hours with 6 hours SOT. Maybe more.

Was nervous that the camera wouldn't be as good without the Samsung camera app but nah, the pictures are beautiful as ever.

Even the S-Pen still (kind of) works! Just works as a very thin 'finger' so I bet if you cared you could find some sort of drawing app to work with that.

I know this probably seems like a very pedestrian post, I've just never rooted a phone before so it's kind of neat. Speaking of SD cards, though, I did have a question. The Note 4 supports up to 128GB of expanded storage, so that's what I wanna buy. However, I was reading online that cyanogenmod can't read ExFAT and NTFS, which is what most larger SD cards come in these days? However, these were message board posts from 2012, about CM10.1 or whatever. Is that still the case with CM12?

If so, would anything stop me from just formatting a 128GB SD card to FAT32? I don't really have any files over 4GB.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Windows will refuse to format anything bigger than 32 GB to FAT32 (this is the entire reason SD cards bigger than 32 GB are formatted exFAT and labeled SDXC, by the way; there is no truly technical reason for the change), but it'll read/write valid FAT32 filesystems (which go up to 2 TB on a datastore with 512-byte physical sectors) just fine. It also won't make any effort to stop a third-party utility like this one from formatting a drive as FAT32 but CHECK YOUR TARGETS so you don't format a drive you care about.

EDIT: OS X, Linux, and probably your phone will turn that thing FAT32 (if it can't do exFAT) without a care in the world. And most Linux distributions have exFAT at least as a prebuilt repository package.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
FAT32 is years out of date, and things the support SDXC are supposed to actually support exFAT. It's in the SDXC standard, since FAT32 naturally tends to waste space in sectors due to its limitations at large disk sizes. There is no reason to reformat large cards from exFAT to FAT32, it's been available in Android for quite a bit, especially for people with root.

Cyanogenmod added exFAT support sometime in early 2014. I use an exFAT formatted SD card in my S4 on CM11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Windows will refuse to format anything bigger than 32 GB to FAT32 (this is the entire reason SD cards bigger than 32 GB are formatted exFAT and labeled SDXC, by the way; there is no truly technical reason for the change), but it'll read/write valid FAT32 filesystems (which go up to 2 TB on a datastore with 512-byte physical sectors) just fine. It also won't make any effort to stop a third-party utility like this one from formatting a drive as FAT32 but CHECK YOUR TARGETS so you don't format a drive you care about.

EDIT: OS X, Linux, and probably your phone will turn that thing FAT32 (if it can't do exFAT) without a care in the world. And most Linux distributions have exFAT at least as a prebuilt repository package.

Hey, I learned something today. :) Thanks for that, and the link might be useful some day.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Cyanogenmod added exFAT support sometime in early 2014. I use an exFAT formatted SD card in my S4 on CM11.

What I was wanting to hear. Thanks a bunch.