Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Ha, what were the odds of a simul-post like that?
That's definitely the console version. Only question is which console. (I'm hoping Saturn, personally... I can rip the files from that quite easily, since I already own it.)

...I still need to finish that game. Pretty sure I'm close to the end!

gently caress yeah. I've heard so many good things about it that I've been wanting to play it for a long time now. The PC version isn't as good and has poo poo controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Szymanski posted:

The same guy who made Diablo's Heart in Kamasutra. Seemingly innocuous start leads to 'OH poo poo!' when you see the archies, its beatable though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt4UzVKg20

Kamasutra was a really great megawad

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Jblade posted:

Cool, thanks for sharing this - the death of fileplanet didn't affect Doom that much but games like Quake and Half-life took quite a hit when all of that stuff went offline.

Sure thing! I updated the post with an image of the archive files if someone wants to see before downloading.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Shadow Hog posted:

We're probably better off.

Yes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can almost see the wonderful voice acting.

Seriously Blood's voice acting sounds like something a 12 year old would have put on Newgrounds in 1997

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Side note, I loving love "Going Down". Haven't beaten it completely yet, but it seems like every couple of levels has a really neat mechanic going on that I don't usually see in MegaWADs. For example, "Demonology" has a narrow room that is filled with pillars, except there are triggers all over the place to drop each of the pillars, revealing an enemy. The first time, you might stumble over one, causing an enemy to appear from behind, and as you spin around and backpedal, you set off another pillar, and then two more, and it's just a hectic (but really cool) mess.

I love "Dead End" for the same reasons. Step somewhere, walls drop and enemies pour out. Move somewhere to kill them, more walls drop, more enemies. Move to a previously cleared room and the walls drop with even more. I don't think I stopped moving and firing after the first 30 seconds of that map.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

site posted:

did have one question from the video though: you had mentioned in the inferno levels (i think) that one of the demon head wall textures was actually an arch-vile and that there was a story behind it or something, but you never got around to talking about it. Do you remember anything about that?

Romero keeps changing his story about it so I don't know how accurate this is, but this is how I understand it: That texture (MARBFAC2) is based on a concept drawing Adrian Carmack did during Doom 1 development for a monster they called the "Medic", which ultimately didn't make the cut for the final game. When the Medic concept got resurrected (lol) for the Arch-Vile during Doom 2 development, the head of the digitized version of Gregor Punchatz's latex model was edited to more closely resemble the original Medic drawing. If you look at the Arch-Vile's final sprites, you can see the four tube-like structures around the mouth and smooth head which match MARBFAC2 but aren't present on the model.

So long story short, the Arch-Vile sort of got retconned into being in Doom 1. A similar thing happened with the Icon of Sin, of course, but that one's a whole lot more obvious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CyRaptor posted:

Romero keeps changing his story about it so I don't know how accurate this is, but this is how I understand it: That texture (MARBFAC2) is based on a concept drawing Adrian Carmack did during Doom 1 development for a monster they called the "Medic", which ultimately didn't make the cut for the final game. When the Medic concept got resurrected (lol) for the Arch-Vile during Doom 2 development, the head of the digitized version of Gregor Punchatz's latex model was edited to more closely resemble the original Medic drawing. If you look at the Arch-Vile's final sprites, you can see the four tube-like structures around the mouth and smooth head which match MARBFAC2 but aren't present on the model.

So long story short, the Arch-Vile sort of got retconned into being in Doom 1. A similar thing happened with the Icon of Sin, of course, but that one's a whole lot more obvious.

To add to this:

MARBFAC2 looks almost exactly like this sketch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Had to hit Google to get a big enough screen cap from D2 to compare but yeah I can see it.

I don't suppose they ever gave a reason for cutting it from D1? I'm sure it was nothing more than time purposes, but due to the nature of the character I'm a little curious if they had problems with balance or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The arch-vile really stands out in my mind as a particularly distinct FPS enemy. A "support" style opponent that is surprisingly durable, with the ability to resurrect most un-gibbed corpses...but also possesses a devastating line-of-sight attack that cannot miss. It's an interesting combination of roles that makes the arch-vile dangerous in a variety of scenarios, whether it's in a busy room where it can constantly revive other monsters, or alone in an area where it can "snipe" you with its attack. And the fact that the attack picks you up and throws you means that the arch-vile can also be used as a sort of obstacle in a way that most other opponents cannot.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Where exactly is there more info on that Powerslave port by the Doom64EX guy besides the one mention on the forums? Is that screenshot from a WIP of it?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zeether posted:

Where exactly is there more info on that Powerslave port by the Doom64EX guy besides the one mention on the forums? Is that screenshot from a WIP of it?
I also wish to know where that image came from.

Hell, it's barely even a mention, it's just tacked onto the description of a forum that has all of two topics, neither of which are related to Powerslave.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

I also wish to know where that image came from.

Hell, it's barely even a mention, it's just tacked onto the description of a forum that has all of two topics, neither of which are related to Powerslave.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569772&pagenumber=108&perpage=40

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's not that I doubt the image is legit, it's more that I'm so heavily into the idea of a Powerslave source port that I wanted to see where Kaiser put the image forth.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Shadow Hog posted:

It's not that I doubt the image is legit, it's more that I'm so heavily into the idea of a Powerslave source port that I wanted to see where Kaiser put the image forth.

Kaiser posted the image on irc in #doomdtwid

quote:

(9:09:22 PM) Kaiser: http://imgur.com/rn3ahCq,vcwIE5f,0UrNLiA,EW4XK9x coming soon: PowerslaveEX

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just played Going Down Map 26 "Insanity" for the first time. I had some music playing in the background and this song started playing right from the start. The first 8 seconds of distorted noises synced up perfectly with the elevator "experience" at the very beginning of the map, and things kicked up perfectly when I began to run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Insanity is the high point of Going Down. The wad kind of started to drag a bit near the end, but that level really brought a little more life into it right where it was needed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah, forgot to officially request a Duke Nukem 3D LP thread.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

site posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to officially request a Duke Nukem 3D LP thread.

I did a stream of the whole game about a year ago and never uploaded it anywhere. So, uh, I guess I should do that, since you're not the first person to ask. Give me a few days to get it together and I'll post the links in here.

The half-finished Blood stream that succeeded it will never see the light of day again, though. What a clusterfuck that was.

And I'll never, ever do an proper LP thread again. Way too much commitment.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kmxexii posted:

Kaiser posted the image on irc in #doomdtwid

There's four images there:

So, I guess it's coming sooner than expected. Good stuff. It was a game way ahead of its time, held back by hardware even moreso than Doom 64.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

There's four images there:

So, I guess it's coming sooner than expected. Good stuff. It was a game way ahead of its time, held back by hardware even moreso than Doom 64.

lol, so it does! whoops! That makes it 4x as good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

I did a stream of the whole game about a year ago and never uploaded it anywhere. So, uh, I guess I should do that, since you're not the first person to ask. Give me a few days to get it together and I'll post the links in here.

The half-finished Blood stream that succeeded it will never see the light of day again, though. What a clusterfuck that was.

And I'll never, ever do an proper LP thread again. Way too much commitment.
Sounds like I lucked out then, thanks!

e: I actually watched a blood lp a few months ago and to be honest it looked kinda boring anyways...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I just finished Doom2 for the first time, any recommendations for what to play next? I haven't touched any of Final Doom or Master Levels.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

the wizards beard posted:

I just finished Doom2 for the first time, any recommendations for what to play next? I haven't touched any of Final Doom or Master Levels.

I reckon you should try Final Doom, it's like a step-up in difficulty (especially Plutonia). Alternatively, you could try the Master Levels but they aren't as good in my opinion.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Play plutonia.wad and then move on to the wonderful world of custom wads. Don't waste your time with the garbage that is the master levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Korendian Leader posted:

Play plutonia.wad and then move on to the wonderful world of custom wads. Don't waste your time with the garbage that is the master levels.

Don't waste your time with TNT either. If you play Plutonia and like it, you'll like Scythe a lot. There's also Plutonia 2 and Scythe 2.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Keep in mind that most wads will be a huge step-up in difficulty from vanilla D2. Either Scythe or Alien Vendetta are excellent introductions to Doom wads, then you can figure out what kind you like.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can also play Doom the Way Id Did (DTWID) and its sequel, D2TWID. They're both really, really good wads in the style of the originals and they're roughly the same level of difficulty as the originals.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bouchacha posted:

Keep in mind that most wads will be a huge step-up in difficulty from vanilla D2. Either Scythe or Alien Vendetta are excellent introductions to Doom wads, then you can figure out what kind you like.

Scythe is a good choice. Alien Vendetta might be a little tough depending on your Doom skills. It was my first WAD too, but by then I was playing Doom for nearly 15 years (I still found it hard :blush:). That said, it's still really really good.

RyokoTK posted:

You can also play Doom the Way Id Did (DTWID) and its sequel, D2TWID. They're both really, really good wads in the style of the originals and they're roughly the same level of difficulty as the originals.

Regardless, do this first.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You literally will die before you can get through every good megawad available out there. Get used to that.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Have you played the "No Rest for the Living" levels?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This looks promising

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It seems compatible with Smooth Doom & related addons, too. The new weapons/enemies override things automatically without conflict, which is good.

Edit: Scratch that. Compatibility falls apart after a couple weapons. Vanilla-ish it is, then.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 7, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
skillsaw is maybe my favorite mapper (other than Erik Alm... and arguably Tarnsman). Vanguard was soo sooo sooo good. gently caress yes.

also, lol MBF

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Valiant has a very Scythe 2-ish feel to it, judging by the first chapter. It's really good. I've only seen one new monster but it was still cool.

Kind of a shame that it has the embedded weapons and monsters, just because this would be the kind of wad to play with Demonsteele or something. Oh well!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hi, I know you just today released this big new thing, but without even playing it at all, I need to ask: can I mod the poo poo out of this thing you made before attempting to play it? Because I think it will automatically make it better if I do

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't know why you thought that was worth a snide comment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lots of people started hating Brutal Doom because of this kind of behavior, that's why.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yes, people started hating Brutal Doom because of ridiculous strawmen posted (presumably) in response to someone bringing up the idea of a gameplay mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
It might be fun to try with Brutal Doom as well.