Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inept
Jul 8, 2003

edit: Oh, Canada. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devian666 posted:

From what he described he probably would have gone insane, and some people aren't suited to the stress of an engineering design office. He should have moved companies to find one with better hours. An 8 or 9 hour day of dealing with intense people and situations while trying to get engineering designs done is difficult enough without ridiculous hours. Too bad he didn't find a better job elsewhere in a company structure that would've suited him better. Now potential employers will think he became a janitor because he had no choice.
That whole thread makes it sound like he didn't even try changing companies to see if it was just his particular job he hated. He claims he has no real passion for chemical engineering work, but who you're doing work with can make a big difference in how much you like a job(even if you don't feel strongly about your actual job duties). He could have at least looked to see if his degree could apply to a different type of work that still paid better than being a janitor.

Nail Rat posted:

Ah, yes, "follow your dreams."
You'd think he'd have tried to get some sort of menial restaurant work if his ~*dream job*~ is being a chef. But then he might have his dreams shattered when he sees that restaurants are actually hard loving work(and stressful, although for different reasons than engineering work). Nah, better to just be a janitor and dream about culinary school.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Devian666 posted:

From what he described he probably would have gone insane, and some people aren't suited to the stress of an engineering design office. He should have moved companies to find one with better hours. An 8 or 9 hour day of dealing with intense people and situations while trying to get engineering designs done is difficult enough without ridiculous hours. Too bad he didn't find a better job elsewhere in a company structure that would've suited him better. Now potential employers will think he became a janitor because he had no choice.

I totally agree, he should have brought it up in HR or taken a leave of absence or sought professional help but the funny part is becoming a janitor because life is hard.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah yes, because chefs are known for their large amounts of downtime, flexible and reasonable work hours and work loads and lack of stressful work environments.

Also, nearly every decent restaurant will laugh you out of the room if you roll in with a for-profit culinary school certificate/degree with no experience. You're useless, especially in comparison to the 24 year old who started bussing tables and washing dishes at 15.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd have to go check my transcript, I think I transferred the maximum of 124cr (I had CompSci interests in high school so those classes all transferred too, in addition to 100% of the 100&200 levels I needed for my B.S.)

I'm in Oregon so we use quarter credits - in semester credits it would be ~83cr. I just checked and the Oregon University system allows 124 quarter credits to transfer.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. We use semester credits in Arizona, so 124 for you would be 62 for us.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Armacham posted:

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. We use semester credits in Arizona, so 124 for you would be 62 for us.
IIRC, the ratio of the 'value' of semester:quarter credits is generally 2:3, not 1:2.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Isn't that literally Breaking Bad's backstory?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tonberrytoby posted:

Isn't that literally Breaking Bad's backstory?

Maybe the guy is going to go for the long, long con, and keep posting asking for advice over the next 15 years, until finally laying out the punchline that everyone knows him as "Heisenberg"

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
With all of the information and anecdotes we have out there, why on earth would anyone go to a for-profit degree mill or no-name private school with less than a near-full ride and rack up 35k+/yr in debt? Are there people out there that aren't aware that community colleges and state universities are a thing?

70k for an associates is especially :psyduck:. Community colleges generally accept anyone with a high school equivalency, so even the excuse of not being able to get accepted doesn't hold up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chuch posted:

With all of the information and anecdotes we have out there, why on earth would anyone go to a for-profit degree mill or no-name private school with less than a near-full ride and rack up 35k+/yr in debt? Are there people out there that aren't aware that community colleges and state universities are a thing?
People make decisions about college their senior year. 17 and 18-year olds are not generally known for their knowledge and wisdom.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The info is out there but those universities spend millions on recruiting, advertising, and often just lie. There's a reason they take advantage of veterans & young people the most.

If you aren't aware of how they work it's not like they advertise "this is a for profit university." I mean gently caress, University of Phoenix sponsored the stadium they held the super bowl in.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Also, for profit schools emphasize "get your degree in 18 months without having to do a year of stupid general education! We hate math and science as much as you do! Also, we have a nursing program!"

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Community college for two years and then a state university is the way to go.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

icehewk posted:

Unless you want to enter a career where degree prestige potentially matters a lot to your long-term career prospects, like law, finance, consulting, academics, etc.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Which is dumb as hell considering the hand-holding that goes on at a lot of private universities.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unless you want to enter a career where degree prestige potentially matters a lot to your long-term career prospects, like law, finance, consulting, academics, etc.

Degree prestige doesn't necessarily matter in consulting, just who you know. Of course good colleges are great networking opportunities.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

icehewk posted:

I screwed up and started with Strayer and now I'm not sure if I have enough on my loans to start over, and they wont tell me what will transfer to the local community college until I enroll, problem with that is I need a transcript that Strayer wont give me as long as I'm attending classes. Bad With Money.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Degree prestige doesn't necessarily matter in consulting, just who you know. Of course good colleges are great networking opportunities.

Degree prestige doesn't "necessarily matter" in almost every field, but it has a real and often large effect in most of them. Consulting companies recruit, but not broadly, so unless daddy has some connections, you want to be at a school where that happens.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah, but the bachelor's doesn't matter as much for careers that need a graduate degree. Save your money for the prestige degree that matters.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The most valuable thing about a university education is the network that comes with it.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You know, transferring to a prestigious school is a thing in some places. UC Berkeley and UCLA take enormous amounts of transfers from community colleges, and I feel name brand matters more for graduate school either way.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
The real solution to education woes is to marry a danish chick and let the danish government pay you while you get your free degree.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

disheveled posted:

Degree prestige doesn't "necessarily matter" in almost every field, but it has a real and often large effect in most of them. Consulting companies recruit, but not broadly, so unless daddy has some connections, you want to be at a school where that happens.

I work at a consulting company and almost none of our recruiting is done at or due to schools period. Same with our competitors. So basically I don't see where you pulled degree prestige mattering from. Maybe a particular industry, rather than the fact it's "consulting?"

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Mocking Bird posted:

You know, transferring to a prestigious school is a thing in some places. UC Berkeley and UCLA take enormous amounts of transfers from community colleges, and I feel name brand matters more for graduate school either way.

That's a very specific program in CA. While obviously not impossible it's not quite so easy to go from Jefferson County CC to Cornell or Bunker Hill CC to MIT, and credits aren't guaranteed to transfer at all.

xie fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 6, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The prestige degree thing is much more true if you live on the east coast, especially the northeast. The networking advantage is no joke. Lewis Lapham's The American Ruling Class covers this pretty well.

When I left New England, it was a shock to realize that nobody gave a poo poo where anyone else went to college, unless they were talking about football. If my kids have any sense they'll go to an SEC school.

Folly
May 26, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

The prestige degree thing is much more true if you live on the east coast, especially the northeast. The networking advantage is no joke. Lewis Lapham's The American Ruling Class covers this pretty well.

When I left New England, it was a shock to realize that nobody gave a poo poo where anyone else went to college, unless they were talking about football. If my kids have any sense they'll go to an SEC school.

The SEC part is actually legit. Watch any academic rankings poll and you'll see a noticeable bump for a school when one of its major sport programs has a good year. Sad but true.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Yeah, but the bachelor's doesn't matter as much for careers that need a graduate degree. Save your money for the prestige degree that matters.

Getting the references and undergrad work necessary to get into a top graduate school is a whole lot easier if you have four years to do it rather than two.

Nail Rat posted:

I work at a consulting company and almost none of our recruiting is done at or due to schools period. Same with our competitors. So basically I don't see where you pulled degree prestige mattering from. Maybe a particular industry, rather than the fact it's "consulting?"

Strategy consultants - Bain, McKinsey, and so forth. Image is absolutely everything in that business.

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I screwed up and started with Strayer and now I'm not sure if I have enough on my loans to start over, and they wont tell me what will transfer to the local community college until I enroll, problem with that is I need a transcript that Strayer wont give me as long as I'm attending classes. Bad With Money.

If they won't even let you get a copy of an unofficial transcript (which should be enough to figure out what will transfer) then mention FERPA, ask them to explain their policy in light of the law, and watch them sweat. If they still won't give you the information, get the denial in writing, and file complaints with the Department of Education and the body that handles their accreditation.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 6, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Folly posted:

The SEC part is actually legit. Watch any academic rankings poll and you'll see a noticeable bump for a school when one of its major sport programs has a good year. Sad but true.

aka the Flutie Effect

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Getting the references and undergrad work necessary to get into a top graduate school is a whole lot easier if you have four years to do it rather than two.

I went to community then public school and was accepted into 4 programs at 3 schools, OSU and Michigan State being two of them. It's easy if you know you want to do grad school and work at building the relationships.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Space Gopher posted:

If they won't even let you get a copy of an unofficial transcript (which should be enough to figure out what will transfer) then mention FERPA, ask them to explain their policy in light of the law, and watch them sweat. If they still won't give you the information, get the denial in writing, and file complaints with the Department of Education and the body that handles their accreditation.

I will be looking in to this today. Thanks

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Apprentice Dick posted:

I went to community then public school and was accepted into 4 programs at 3 schools, OSU and Michigan State being two of them. It's easy if you know you want to do grad school and work at building the relationships.

I would be floored if anybody got into my grad program (or comparables) with only two years of university if they applied straight out of undergrad. It certainly would not be easy.

In my opinion, if you're interested in grad school, you will actually take advantage of the resources that a university or LAC has to offer over a CC, so you should go to the best school at a reasonable price, like your state university or somewhere you have a scholarship.

vvv I am not talking about name, not at all. I'm talking about resources and experience. It obviously worked for you and for your goals, but that is not so typical and so applicable across fields that you should be giving advice so generally. vvv

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 6, 2015

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

disheveled posted:

I would be floored if anybody got into my grad program (or comparables) with only two years of university if they applied straight out of undergrad. It certainly would not be easy.

In my opinion, if you're interested in grad school, you will actually take advantage of the resources that a university or LAC has to offer over a CC, so you should go to the best school at a reasonable price, like your state university or somewhere you have a scholarship.

I had an internship with Air Force Research Lab and Northrop-Grumman as a mechanical engineer which played a big part in my getting accepted, plus I scored pretty high on the GRE. If I wanted in a highly competitive program then yes, I would go to a more name recognized school, but CC doesn't have any impact on a person's ability to go to grad school overall.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
All that matters is your last school. If you have a Wharton MBA, nobody will ever ask or care that you went to a community college for your first two years of university. I did my first two years at a community college and was way better prepared for the upper division courses than my peers that did their first two years in cattle-call gen-ed classes with 500 students.

Anyway, crosspost from the idiots on social media thread.

My wife is part of a hilarious/terrible facebook group.
One of the mommies on the group last night mentioned that sometimes she wishes she could claim her kids on her taxes. After some followup questions, she revealed that neither of her toddlers had social security numbers, "because it's an optional contract that we don't want to opt into on their behalf"....???

Everyone told her she was an idiot.

She revealed that it would be immoral to put her kids on her taxes because "I'd end up getting more money back than we paid in taxes, and that's dishonest" (though she and her family had been on Medicaid for a while :ironicat:).
A social security number is the mark of the beast as prophesied in the Bible, her father in law had done "20 years of research" to come up with that conclusion, and the social security act was bill #666! Open your eyes, sheeple! :tinfoil:

She estimated that it would increase her tax refund by $8,000 if she claimed her kids as dependents. (probably bad with math, but bad with money no matter what)

It was so bizarre. Unfortunately, the moderators deleted the comment thread so you'll have to live with my synopsis.

Reminds me of the Bible passage "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. But if Caesar offers to reduce your tax liability if you go through a simple administrative process on behalf of your children (that they must go through anyway if they ever want to be legally employed as adults or enroll in higher education) to prove that your children exist, don't do that. It's bad."

It's throwing money away for no reason :psyduck:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I love people who freak out about the number of the beast. I read that it is actually 616 and not 666. Either way, basing your tax decisions on books that were written a couple thousand years ago is bad with money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

canyoneer posted:

She estimated that it would increase her tax refund by $8,000 if she claimed her kids as dependents. (probably bad with math, but bad with money no matter what)

Odds are she thinks "deducting" $8000 means you get $8000 back.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Nocheez posted:

I love people who freak out about the number of the beast. I read that it is actually 616 and not 666. Either way, basing your tax decisions on books that were written a couple thousand years ago is bad with money.

What about Chinese and their love of the number 8?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Odds are she thinks "deducting" $8000 means you get $8000 back.

It could be $8000 if they qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credits

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I don't understand tax deductions. A deduction there is money that comes out of the taxes you have to pay, right? My annual tax return is like $2700 after $7000 in deductions, so if I didn't have those deductions I'd have to pay $5300 to the IRS? Is that how it works?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

HonorableTB posted:

I don't understand tax deductions. A deduction there is money that comes out of the taxes you have to pay, right? My annual tax return is like $2700 after $7000 in deductions, so if I didn't have those deductions I'd have to pay $5300 to the IRS? Is that how it works?

Deductions reduce your taxable income. Credits reduce your tax liability directly. Say you make $50,000 a year. That $7k in deductions would mean your actual taxable income for taxes is $43,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A deduction is some part of your income that doesn't get taxed. So a $1000 deduction is worth around $100-350 in taxes depending on your tax bracket. A credit is set against your tax bill, so a $100 credit is $100 less taxes to pay.

• Locked thread