Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

why do you have four obsolete computers stored in your attic for the last 30 years

it aint my fuckin attic bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
you said you have 4 of the obsolete computers, not an attic. just admit you love the old computers and want to kiss them

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

emoji posted:

they were worth $6500 apiece in 1989 in 1989 dollarr

buy high sell low

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

emoji posted:

you said you have 4 of the obsolete computers, not an attic. just admit you love the old computers and want to kiss them

I will admit this

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
you should pull the PRAM batteries out of those. they tend to explode and leak all over the place if stored for too long, especially somewhere hot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snapchat A Titty posted:

im pretty sure my 7th year of life i ate only potatoes only because my dad bought a mac

when i was like 12 or 13 my dad told my mom we couldn't afford school supplies, turns out what he didn't tell her is it was because he was blowing a lot of money into trying to build a scale steam locomotive.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Binary Badger posted:

i still play it every day thanks to sheep shaver

unplayable at any speed above 7

got this working in basilisk ii, although rescue 1.6 is buttery-smooth while 2.0.5 has a much, much choppier frame-rate - is this just the way 2.0.5 is or do i need to emulate a faster mac?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

graph posted:

good look. i have 4 in my parents attic, all working

it was a special se/30:

atomicthumbs posted:

the one I sold had a grayscale internal video card in it, functioning setups of which probably number in the tens or less. apparently the micron xceed is the "holy grail" of classic macintosh collecting. and someone recycled it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

got this working in basilisk ii, although rescue 1.6 is buttery-smooth while 2.0.5 has a much, much choppier frame-rate - is this just the way 2.0.5 is or do i need to emulate a faster mac?

seems smooth to me in sheep shaver but i seem to remember a long time ago in a discussion group somewhere that the author was either still fine tuning his quickdraw calls or had abandoned direct writes to the screen or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Binary Badger posted:

seems smooth to me in sheep shaver but i seem to remember a long time ago in a discussion group somewhere that the author was either still fine tuning his quickdraw calls or had abandoned direct writes to the screen or something

just out of curiousity, would pearpc running an old os x with classic be any faster or is that not possible?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
on the subject of pearpc

http://www.mactalk.com.au/18/1496-mac-os-x-panther-25mhz-centris-650-a.html

quote:

Now a small setback. The 3GB panther image from the Athlon doesn't work. More accurately, it just doesn't fit on the filesystem, 2GB file limit and failure!.

Back to the athlon to create a smaller one - 1.5GB just to keep copying times low (1.5GB across 10baseT isn't fun, it's less fun when you've just tried to copy 3GB across twice and had it fail. That's more learning to be patient). That install went smoothly.

<center>Then at 9pm on Monday 25th October 2004, a Mac Centris 650 started booting OS X.

About an hour and a half later, the familiar Apple logo bootsplash appeared
</center>

(Those colours are wrong, yes. It's a blue background with a yellow-green apple in the centre, the hi-colour display in X using a Centris framebuffer borks the first few colours).

What next?
I Wait. According to the developers, PearPC using generic emulation (the only option on a non-x86) runs "about 500 times slower" than the host CPU. Ouch. That makes for a 0.05MHz G3, at the best. That's around 4000 times slower than the Athlon boots, and since that takes roughly 2 and a half minutes - I'm looking at at least 6.99 days. One week to boot!

Only next Monday!.

Still, I have time. It can sit there doing its hard drive thrashing, earning its place in my home

not sure why one would want to do this but it's sort of funny to see a 68k mac booting os x

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

on the subject of pearpc

http://www.mactalk.com.au/18/1496-mac-os-x-panther-25mhz-centris-650-a.html

not sure why one would want to do this but it's sort of funny to see a 68k mac booting os x

haha i remember this from way back

quote:

I expect to have this done by the time longhorn ships.

:allears:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i remember playing a bitchin game of lunatic fringe then bumping the mouse and getting pissed off

i also remember watching the lawnmower one cycle like 3 times in a row because i liked to see how many flowers could make it before they were cruelly slaughtered

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

classic ive-san

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_eArXHbDI

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
god those cases break so easily

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
watching A Bug's Life off of a dvd(!!!) on an original blue iMac at my dad's office equipment sales office one evening with my sister was a religious experience for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Wulfolme posted:

watching A Bug's Life off of a dvd(!!!) on an original blue iMac at my dad's office equipment sales office one evening with my sister was a religious experience for me

getting sucked off by big boob jessica behind the props shed was a religious experience for me. fag

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

these rigs sucked rear end. FYI n00bs ITT

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Wulfolme posted:

sorry for the derail, and *looks at boss* the delay in the meeting, we'll get back to the agenda in a minute but, *locks eyes with the quoted poster* if a little underweight, low IQ, kyke untermench human being bitch like me can get his dick sucked to sputtering climax by a big titty high school whore, can you loving fathom what kind of loser 'has a religious experience' watching some derivative garbage in some adjunct office to his dads office? does your dad even have a corner office? extremely sad, your small cock, fail life, and poor father. christ

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

sexy computar

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

god those cases break so easily

was it the 8500/9500 cases that were impossible to work in? and the 8600/9600 that were great?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

was it the 8500/9500 cases that were impossible to work in? and the 8600/9600 that were great?

ya

scrub:

pro:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

pre intel macs were loving useless garbage, and if you willingly purchased one it's indicative of extreme fail disease and broken brain syndrome. looking forward to this honeypot thread to identify all the extremely stupid people ITF (in this forum)

agreed Smythe. looks like this thread has been fruitful in that regard.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

ya

scrub:

pro:

lol those compaqs definitely belong in this poo poo old computer thread.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

had a 9500 that tore my hand apart the one time we upgraded something inside it. like blood everywhere kind of tore up. later i found out that this was normal

still remember loading DOOM II the first day we got it, setting it to hi-res, and flipping out at how smooth it ran

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wulfolme posted:

you had a very pathetic childhood

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's almost amazing how incredibly bad this case design was

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

you had a very pathetic childhood

it was not actually a religious experience, you goons. just a memorable one.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the worst was that performa with the subwoofer

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

The design goes all the way back to the Quadra 800 too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i hat ethis piece of poo poo

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

pro because it was literally press gureen butan and computer open

still lots of death metal and first ATI Rage 3D chip on Macs though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

chef goldblum presents the iBook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMeEpy7PbE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

THC posted:

chef goldblum presents the iBook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMeEpy7PbE

this one is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQmK1CnwOUI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
piece of LITERAL loving GARBAGE RRRARARHGJ

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

old mac trip report: went to pick up the 1400, it boots fine tho i'll need to reformat it and install 8.6 since it's in dutch right now

he was clearing out his storage and threw in a hard drive-less pismo that boots, an og airport that i've just cannibalised the wifi card from, office 98, a cf card of unknown capacity and a pcmcia adaptor for it, and a pro mouse

i could probably sell the pismo alone and make a profit

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

that's pretty much all you can do with an original Airport other than use it for a hat around halloween

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

that's not true, i could use it to share my dial-up

well ok not now that i've disemboweled it but you know

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

no

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

was it the apple card or Lucent? if apple card it's actually a second gen airport

edit: wow sure is scary to see pre-warty schiller and old school ive

• Locked thread