Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's the name of the Felyne in 3U with the mail delivery get up? He had like a quro hat on and I can't loving find any pictures of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Have the graphics improved at all in the demo? It looks nicer to me but that might just be because i haven't played 3u in ages.

Framerate is definately nicer though, seems like it hits 60fps a lot now.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

What's the name of the Felyne in 3U with the mail delivery get up? He had like a quro hat on and I can't loving find any pictures of him

Just checked and they called him "Felyne Courier"

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

megalodong posted:

Have the graphics improved at all in the demo? It looks nicer to me but that might just be because i haven't played 3u in ages.

Framerate is definately nicer though, seems like it hits 60fps a lot now.

The graphics look significantly better to me. And even more on videos from the n3DS. The framerate is butter smooth in single player, but I've had it drop significantly in multi. Seemed like it was about 20ish on the regular 3DS.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Are there any advantages to getting monster hunter 4 on a new 3ds instead of regular 3ds? (Better graphics/better controls/ other features)?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stalgren posted:

Are there any advantages to getting monster hunter 4 on a new 3ds instead of regular 3ds? (Better graphics/better controls/ other features)?

Better framerate, textures and loading times. Analog nub for camera controls. Thats for 4U though, no idea about 4.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Thanks 4U is the one I was wondering about.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Stalgren posted:

Seems like the N3DS enables better textures. There's a few comparison shots floating around but this one shows the difference the best. It's not big enough that you should upgrade JUST because of this, but it is a significant difference and was enough to push me over the edge, personally.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I still have a regular 3DS so Monster Hunter is the best excuse I have to upgrade.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BlancoNino posted:

Just checked and they called him "Felyne Courier"

Thanks. Also drat, there's like zero pictures of him, at least that turn up from "Felyne Courier" or "Tanzia Felyne" on GIS. He's the cutest how could they do this to me?!

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Thanks. Also drat, there's like zero pictures of him, at least that turn up from "Felyne Courier" or "Tanzia Felyne" on GIS. He's the cutest how could they do this to me?!

This one?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yes, that's the good poo poo

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I never even noticed the Peco hat before

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He holds your streetpasses for you. What a nice cat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I never even noticed the Peco hat before

I knew it was a horn but I never realized it was a peco beak

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Wow, I've been playing hammer and longsword up until now, but for 4G I might switch over to the lance. Never knew how awesome lance could be until I watched the gaijin hunter video for it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Noot noot, motherfucker

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

good cat

edit: i hope we get this dlc

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 6, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tower of druaga posted:

edit: i hope we get this dlc

omg

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please

I still want my Crazy D hammer.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
yare yare daze, Capcom

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Wow, I've been playing hammer and longsword up until now, but for 4G I might switch over to the lance. Never knew how awesome lance could be until I watched the gaijin hunter video for it.

Someone earlier in the thread compared Monster Hunter broadly to Punchout. I agree with the comparison, and specifically Lance really fits the playstyle. In my experience, no other weapon quite gives you the same sense of going toe-to-toe with monsters. Once you get a feel for the dodge mechanics, especially after you can pick up Evade dist Up and Evade+1(2) you'll be ducking and weaving like Gene from God Hand. It's really a badass weapon, but it's very slow burn so stick with it. Aiming your thrusts seems overly precise, or not precise enough, at times. And the step dodging is very counter-intuitive. It pays off in the long run; Lance is one of the most fun weapons, despite not being terribly flashy (sparks flying on counters is rad as hell, though)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Kiggles posted:

Someone earlier in the thread compared Monster Hunter broadly to Punchout. I agree with the comparison, and specifically Lance really fits the playstyle. In my experience, no other weapon quite gives you the same sense of going toe-to-toe with monsters. Once you get a feel for the dodge mechanics, especially after you can pick up Evade dist Up and Evade+1(2) you'll be ducking and weaving like Gene from God Hand. It's really a badass weapon, but it's very slow burn so stick with it. Aiming your thrusts seems overly precise, or not precise enough, at times. And the step dodging is very counter-intuitive. It pays off in the long run; Lance is one of the most fun weapons, despite not being terribly flashy (sparks flying on counters is rad as hell, though)

Lance is the most reactive of the weapons. Other weapons have elements independent of the monster, such as the spirit slash, knockouts and songs. Lance is more about knowing the monster than the weapon, which is very simple. This simplicity though allows you to be more responsive. I don't fault people though if offensive complexity is more fun for them. Gunlance and now charge blade are better for that.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the sad truth

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Consider that LoZ is an incredibly well established series in the west and that if MH is selling even at a ratio of 3:1 to Majora's Mask 3D it'd be doing really well.

Also JESUS CHRIST ONE WEEK

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

ilifinicus posted:

the sad truth

so they have it but they won't give it to me

i need it man i need it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Now I kinda wish I didn't order the MH special edition N3DS so I could troll around NYC for a street date breaking shady retailer. I didn't think the stores would get them this early.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am

so ready to get owned by monsters

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
To anyone on the edge of upgrading to a n3DS, if you just want the C-Stick, you can buy a Circle Pad Pro which has been linked in the thread for $20. This will serve ALL of your Monster Hunter camera needs.

However, the n3DS also has better 3D with head tracking, slightly faster load times (Not really a selling point to push, but notable), Amiibo Support (If you're into it. I own literally 1 ), and supposedly better textures in Monster Hunter at least.

That comparison shot I am a little leery of due to the fact that they couldn't really get a straight comparison. Specifically the menu is up in one, and the whetstone item menu is up in the other, loving with the perspective.

I'm just saying, dropping $200 or pounds or whatever to get it just for one game seems a little silly.

With that said, I am personally picking up the black N3DS, but that's also partly to do with the fact that my 3DS XL's charging port got jostled at Christmas, and now the plug kind of wiggles inside it while charging. :(

one week!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im getting a n3DSXL because I've been meaning to upgrade to an XL anyways, and everything else is just gravy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

the sad truth
I don't really see anything sad here? It actually kinda owns that Monster Hunter is no longer a totally niche title in the west.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Drowning Rabbit posted:

That comparison shot I am a little leery of due to the fact that they couldn't really get a straight comparison. Specifically the menu is up in one, and the whetstone item menu is up in the other, loving with the perspective.

These show off the difference better: http://imgur.com/a/rzLJb

Honestly I like the idea of the Hori left shoulder circle pad more than the C-stick, so that's what I'm going with. Plus I love the gold Zelda 3DSXL too much to sell it off for a boring N3DS.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

I don't really see anything sad here? It actually kinda owns that Monster Hunter is no longer a totally niche title in the west.
Nobody noticed the game at the bottom except when they were looking for it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's more new 3ds comparisons but don't freak out or anything because it's comparing the demo to the full game and it's very possible that the demo included lower quality textures to keep the filesize down http://imgur.com/a/rzLJb

E: beaten

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I've been playing the demo, charge axe seems sick as hell but I'm too stupid to figure out how to do the charging the shield thing even after watching a tutorial video about it.

Gore Malaga is no joke though. seems like he shares his base moveset with kushala?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

To anyone on the edge of upgrading to a n3DS, if you just want the C-Stick, you can buy a Circle Pad Pro which has been linked in the thread for $20. This will serve ALL of your Monster Hunter camera needs.

However, the n3DS also has better 3D with head tracking, slightly faster load times (Not really a selling point to push, but notable), Amiibo Support (If you're into it. I own literally 1 ), and supposedly better textures in Monster Hunter at least.

It's worth pointing out that the n3DS also has a significantly larger screen. Which is why I'm upgrading. I'm old and my eyes are creaky. :(

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I was very close to getting a regular 3DSXL until I saw that the CCP turns that machine into a monstrosity the size of sega gamegear. The little nub is a big deal for me.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I've been playing the demo, charge axe seems sick as hell but I'm too stupid to figure out how to do the charging the shield thing even after watching a tutorial video about it.

Gore Malaga is no joke though. seems like he shares his base moveset with kushala?

You press R when winding up for a full burst, there's 2 ways

Hit X+A in axe mode then press R

Or in sword mode do: X, X+A, X+A, R

You'll do a sword swing, a shield shell, start to charge up the full burst then it will charge the shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've taken 3 days off work and am flying to Chicago to play this in person with my brother and friends, so I might be in the running for stupidest monster hunter 2015.

• Locked thread