Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jerusalem posted:

Good job, definitely head back to that room a little later so you can stand in there and exult in your former victory. It's good times.

PURSUER! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dexie posted:

PURSUER! :argh:

First time I ran into that dude was when he suddenly jumps you while you're clearing through those old ruins beyond the Forest of the Fallen Giants. I think it's random chance of it happening and it only happens once, so that was kinda terrifying - just dealing with standard enemies and suddenly this giant armored dude leaps out of nowhere and sticks me with a giant glowing sword.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

First time I ran into that dude was when he suddenly jumps you while you're clearing through those old ruins beyond the Forest of the Fallen Giants. I think it's random chance of it happening and it only happens once, so that was kinda terrifying - just dealing with standard enemies and suddenly this giant armored dude leaps out of nowhere and sticks me with a giant glowing sword.

It's the first time you stand on that raised arena.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Also, if you kill him there you don't have to fight him in his normal arena with the ballistae.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It totally makes sense that the two giants are down in the bottom of the gutter: Giants had been being used by Aldia in experiments but eventually he probably didn't need them anymore, and so these two guys got tossed down there. But remember that there's that little cage elevator, which implies someone wanted to make it a bit more accessible.

The whole theme of the gutter is "poo poo people want to forget about and get rid of", and since Aldia is what is he, the Giants are probably not needed anymore. Or maybe even since they were "elite" giants, as opposed to the littler guys, they got put down there due to their "troublesome size".

Also those fuckin dogs, the only two places we see them are Aldia's manor and the gutter. gently caress those fuckin dogs btw.

I wonder why Aldia digs corrosiveness so much. He's got the giant horn beetle thing, the giant ant in the gutter was his, there's that pit of corrosive acid... I wouldn't be surprised if those acids spewing dragon things in drangleic castle were Aldia's work as well.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 6, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

It totally makes sense that the two giants are down in the bottom of the gutter: Giants had been being used by Aldia in experiments but eventually he probably didn't need them anymore, and so these two guys got tossed down there. But remember that there's that little cage elevator, which implies someone wanted to make it a bit more accessible.

The whole theme of the gutter is "poo poo people want to forget about and get rid of", and since Aldia is what is he, the Giants are probably not needed anymore. Or maybe even since they were "elite" giants, as opposed to the littler guys, they got put down there due to their "troublesome size".

Also those fuckin dogs, the only two places we see them are Aldia's manor and the gutter. gently caress those fuckin dogs btw.

I wonder why Aldia digs corrosiveness so much. He's got the giant horn beetle thing, the giant ant in the gutter was his, there's that pit of corrosive acid... I wouldn't be surprised if those acids spewing dragon things in drangleic castle were Aldia's work as well.

Dark Souls has taught me that Aldia is kind of a dick.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
His depiction in the game imo draws the parallels to the primordial serpents in dks1. Not physically, but how he comes up out of the ground, how it's apparent were only seeing part of him. Both kaathe and frampt are depicted this way.

I also like how they use gavlan to characterize frampt, since they are both the "get souls for items" merchants. One of dks2's biggest themes is lust for power/riches/people can ruin you. Even though it's one of the lamest bosses, the covetous demon is an excellent example, alongside mytha. Then there's the embedded, who is still quite a mystery but at least the reason for his state is explained relatively clearly.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 6, 2015

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
As soon as Scholar of the First Sin drops under £20 on the PS4 I'm in. It looks great, there's way more changes than I would have expected.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Little tip for the new boss.

All of his attacks are fire based (except the obvious one), bring a Flame Quartz ring +3. Turns his death ball from a oneshot to survivable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dexie posted:

GOT HIM. Finally got the motherfucking Smelter Demon.

Good grief, that was exhausting.

For an even more fun time, do the fight while babysitting Lucatiel through the entire thing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Control Volume posted:

For an even more fun time, do the fight while babysitting Lucatiel through the entire thing.

Luca makes the fight pretty dang easy since the tank patch. Smelter spends so much time focusing on her that--as long as you're not doing a crazy low DPS run--the amount of free hits you get on the Smelter means he's gonna die quick.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
A few months earlier everything was intentionally obfuscated, but surely now the picture must be clear. Is From really going to do the unspeakable? Is From actually splitting the multiplayer playerbase with some 'DLC'-or-what-loving-ever content?

I'll still be playing this game even in the case of a total GFWL-style-pocalypse, but I expected a lot from DS2 multiplayer and they actually delivered on that so far. I reserve the right to be a bitter person if they suddenly gently caress it all up now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sanctum posted:

A few months earlier everything was intentionally obfuscated, but surely now the picture must be clear. Is From really going to do the unspeakable? Is From actually splitting the multiplayer playerbase with some 'DLC'-or-what-loving-ever content?

I'll still be playing this game even in the case of a total GFWL-style-pocalypse, but I expected a lot from DS2 multiplayer and they actually delivered on that so far. I reserve the right to be a bitter person if they suddenly gently caress it all up now.

Erm... no?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

None of that bluecop/bloodbro poo poo matters because they made it so killing a bellbro or a host as bellbro (I think) will give you like twinkling titanite or petrified dragon bone.

:getin:

I'm gonna pvp all the live long day.

Really? That's awesome, I've been grumbly about the PvP for a while now because none of them seem like they give you anything very good except maybe lockstones.

More titanite/dragonbone though would be super useful, gonna ring my bell all the time now.

Chuch posted:

Also, if you kill him there you don't have to fight him in his normal arena with the ballistae.

I got my rear end handed to me the first couple of times I ran into him there, but when I rolled up a sorceror, I got a sunbro in training to help me out, dude was an absolute machine, dodging all the attacks while I fired magic missile at the pursuer, managed to kill him.

Felt really good, because he isn't a real boss so I think your sunbro gets the full soul payout or something if they help you out there, good times.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 6, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sanctum posted:

I reserve the right to be a bitter person if they suddenly gently caress it all up now.
I reserve my right to tell you to read the thread and at least put some effort into being a bitter person, we clearly dont get enough of those

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So is Alsanna the only "good" Child of Dark? She's the only one said to support her King as opposed to directing him to her own desires <--- DLC question

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Flytrap posted:

Luca makes the fight pretty dang easy since the tank patch. Smelter spends so much time focusing on her that--as long as you're not doing a crazy low DPS run--the amount of free hits you get on the Smelter means he's gonna die quick.

You'd think that but when the smelter demon does that combo that ends in the jump attack 3 times in a row and does the little fire burst thing afterwards, you can't loving get inside and Lucatiel sits around like a chump eating damage.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flytrap posted:

Little tip for the new boss.

All of his attacks are fire based (except the obvious one), bring a Flame Quartz ring +3. Turns his death ball from a oneshot to survivable.

Heh now that bit covers all 4 elements.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If Lucatiel fought her brother like she fights when she helps you its no wonder she never beat him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A real knight of Mirrah sits there and tanks damage before an obviously telegraphed attack. Luca fights with honor.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

So is Alsanna the only "good" Child of Dark? She's the only one said to support her King as opposed to directing him to her own desires <--- DLC question

Her soul says she is an "augur of fear", as opposed to "prisoner of desire" and augur of solitude or wrath. Is fear a good thing?

I do not believe that any of them were "evil". However, they all had a detrimental effect on their kings. Or at least most of them. I dunno exactly about Elana. And obviously Nadalia missed the OIK, but whatever.

They're all driven by their core concept, and that's what controls them. There's lots of examples of this throughout the game, like the covetous demon or mytha.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Yeah I still can't get parrying right in DS2 as far as PVE goes. Like the alonne knights, whenever they do the fast overhead slice it seems like you need to start the parry before they even begin that attack animation in order to parry it. I've parried it a few times but man it's not like getting the timing right or anything, you basically have to react quickly enough in immediately hitting parry.

It's really dumb because DS2 parries have startup frames just like regular attacks and the better parry weapons have faster startups which means you have to actually have no innate sense of rhythm to connect a parry with an attack. I would actually just rather have a 1-frame parry or even just take the entire guard impact system from Soulcalibur since that's where the rest of the combat mechanics seem to come from.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

I gave up on Dark Souls 1 like a little baby after the Taurus Demon. I played through DS2 last month and while it was tough, I feel like I get the gist of these games now, so I'm reinstalling the first game. Are there any major things I need to relearn or be aware of before jumping in? I'm mostly worried about spending the majority of the game hollow since the WSS won't give humanity anymore and I relied heavily on summons to get through DS2.

Get DSFix to make it look real purty. 60fps will cause some bugs, personal preference either leave the framerate at normal or be ready to toggle the unlock off (backspace?) when you hit places that jumps and such aren't quite working when you think they should.
Use a controller; if you can't, get the mouse fix.
Don't level resistance at all.
Poise is good in this one.
Game is amazing; enjoy. For anything else, there's a fairly active DS1 PC thread still going.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chuch posted:

Not just that, but I'm pretty sure you get more souls if you kill him the first time.

I've made sure to do it every time now on all my new characters. Its pretty great to clear the area, specifically avoid stepping up on that platform, open the shortcut to the bonfire, then summon a couple of phantoms and point towards the platform. They usually get what I'm planning and get excited.

Once the shortcut is open its like a 5 foot walk to the platform. You only get one shot though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Woozy posted:

It's really dumb because DS2 parries have startup frames just like regular attacks and the better parry weapons have faster startups which means you have to actually have no innate sense of rhythm to connect a parry with an attack. I would actually just rather have a 1-frame parry or even just take the entire guard impact system from Soulcalibur since that's where the rest of the combat mechanics seem to come from.

Its moved from being reactive to being more predictive.

Its not a frame-by-frame fighting game, its a relatively slow and deliberate action game, having to actually commit a 'price' to every action is a core goal of the game. DS1 parrying was cheap in that it came out fast and as soon as you pressed the button and for not much stamina. You didnt have to learn when the hit window is relative to the rest of an enemys attack and time it relative yo your windup, you just needed to know when it triggered.

In fact you need a very good sense of rhythm to parry well in DS2.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zaphod42 posted:

Not just that, but I'm pretty sure you get more souls if you kill him the first time.

I've made sure to do it every time now on all my new characters. Its pretty great to clear the area, specifically avoid stepping up on that platform, open the shortcut to the bonfire, then summon a couple of phantoms and point towards the platform. They usually get what I'm planning and get excited.

Once the shortcut is open its like a 5 foot walk to the platform. You only get one shot though.

It's the same amount of souls, but you get them much earlier when it's more noticeable then after you've already killed the first boss and a ton of minions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Male of the Century posted:

It's the same amount of souls, but you get them much earlier when it's more noticeable then after you've already killed the first boss and a ton of minions.

Ah yeah, I was worried maybe I was remember it wrong that way. Ah well still a poo poo ton of souls for a new character.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Woozy posted:

There was a while when the Monastery Scimitar had instant parries and it was a loving disaster as far as PvP was concerned because you had to use parry-proof weapons if you wanted to have a hope of winning a fight.

Parrying in PvE is more useful for showing off during co-op than actually killing poo poo anyway, though there are are few places that have tanky enemies with very predictable attacks where it's worth it. Like I guess sword Syans and uh... that's about it?

In PvP lag makes the timing so unpredictable that it's a dice roll as to whether it works or not. Buckler or Target Shield make it a little more reliable but then you're telegraphing your intent to parry. Though really I'm still trying to figure out a good counter to parry-spamming STR builds. If you use something with bullshit-huge critical damage like a Greatsword then it only takes on parry to win the duel, so just constantly spam parries at them. I get a lot of satisfaction from avoiding all of these assholes' parries and then parrying them (by actually being judicious and predicting their behaviour instead of derr L2 L2 L2 L2 L2 L2 L2), but then I'm not a massive raging tryhard so my weapons' critical damage only does like 30% of their HP instead of 150%. I mean, what are the options here? whips suck horribly and two-handing curved greatswords isn't very fun.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Is it me or did the big heavy hitting weapons get a durability nerf? My greatsword and large club seem much more fragile....

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Willfrey posted:

Is it me or did the big heavy hitting weapons get a durability nerf? My greatsword and large club seem much more fragile....
I noticed that too. Large club seems to be breaking rather fast.

On another note, finally got summoned by the guardian ring in the Copse at 200k SM.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heeeey

Now I can go back to never playing this awful game again :banjo:

Just kidding, this game is alright

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 6, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Willfrey posted:

I read somewhere that great weapons are less concerned about hitting the floor, because they do it so often, maybe they changed that?

I would be salty about further reductions to durability given my love for the halberd, but I found the partizan and HOLY poo poo is it amazing, so I'm not too upset.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dexie posted:

GOT HIM. Finally got the motherfucking Smelter Demon.

Good grief, that was exhausting.

Weirdly, he becomes one of the easiest bosses in the game once you get his basic pattern down. Highly telegraphed, predictable attacks and several parts where you can easily heal without fear. The only really dangerous part of him is the leap attack, and that's solely because the camera is garbage and you therefore have to basically guess when the right time to roll is so that his tracking won't pancake you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Weirdly, he becomes one of the easiest bosses in the game once you get his basic pattern down. Highly telegraphed, predictable attacks and several parts where you can easily heal without fear. The only really dangerous part of him is the leap attack, and that's solely because the camera is garbage and you therefore have to basically guess when the right time to roll is so that his tracking won't pancake you.

Even then the only really tricky part of the leap stab is knowing that he's going to do the AOE explosion thing and practically 1-shot you if you go in afterwards.

The tricky part there is he doesn't do the AOE during his first phase, so you incorrectly learn that after the stab he's open to attack, and get yourself blasted in the face.

He also only does the AOE if you're actually standing in range, so you might stand back at first and then go "oh okay, I can attack next time.... NOPE"

Once you die to it a few times its not so bad.

I remember struggling with it at first but by comparison the Pursuer x2/x3 is a good bit more difficult. And they're both cake compared to Fume Knight, who isn't even THAT hard either.

As with all Dark Souls bosses, its impossible until you do it, and then its pretty easy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unless I misread everything they announced so far, DX11 players won't be able to play with people on the original version. So yes, they absolutely are splitting the community.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unless I misread everything they announced so far, DX11 players won't be able to play with people on the original version. So yes, they absolutely are splitting the community.

Yeah, they are definitely splitting the community.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its moved from being reactive to being more predictive.

Its not a frame-by-frame fighting game, its a relatively slow and deliberate action game, having to actually commit a 'price' to every action is a core goal of the game. DS1 parrying was cheap in that it came out fast and as soon as you pressed the button and for not much stamina. You didnt have to learn when the hit window is relative to the rest of an enemys attack and time it relative yo your windup, you just needed to know when it triggered.

In fact you need a very good sense of rhythm to parry well in DS2.

There are over a hundred unique attacks in the game, none of which have consistent timings even in the same class of weapons, and 18 distinct parry animations--all with separate, usually extremely awkward, timings that lack any sort of visual or auditory cue in the majority of cases, and this windows actually shifts based on spacing for any weapon that has a forward-moving hitbox during active frames. Holy poo poo. It's trying to shoot one bullet with another bullet and the reward for success is a critical attack that does slightly less damage than a complete power stance combo which you get for free in PvE by dodge rolling. It's extraordinarily, pointlessly, gratuitously risky to even attempt a parry in DS2 PvE, even forgetting the fact that all the most dangerous attacks are no-parry to begin with. The "price" of a failed parry is pretty monumental considering the 8 free frames of invincibility you get on reaction and with zero startup by pressing a better button. This all gets a tiny bit worse when you realize that even consistently successful parries carry more risk than just smacking a guy because of the stupid, pointlessly drawn out execution attack isn't fully invincible.

The thing is that the way to balance parrying in PvP isn't even a mystery and tons of PvP-oriented games have done similar things--just give it a frame advantage instead of a free 100% damage murder attack. It looks really stupid anyway when you smack a boss with the world's tiniest shield and he sits there totally "dazed" for like 10 seconds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So if Aldia's in the game for real now what does that make the Guardian Dragon?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

In PvP lag makes the timing so unpredictable that it's a dice roll as to whether it works or not. Buckler or Target Shield make it a little more reliable but then you're telegraphing your intent to parry.

Bit of a tangent, but if you want a buckler or target shield parry without telegraphing your intent, use a manikin shield instead. It has the same style of parry but most people don't know that and probably just assume you're wearing it for fashion. It won't help you against the people who (rightly) assume that anyone with a small shield intends to parry, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

RBA Starblade posted:

So if Aldia's in the game for real now what does that make the Guardian Dragon?

It makes it a dragon that a few different characters imply is fake in some way. There is no deeper depth, free yourself from the search for truth and then you will be free from the curse of want. It's human fate to covet light or dark or maybe something different or maybe nothing, forever