Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Also gotta keep in mind that it sounds like, what, Ubisoft Quebec is doing Victory? So we don't know what to expect from them if this will be their first real AC center-stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I've been replaying Assassin's Creed III as if it were crack and despite not liking it very much at all the first time I played it I'm finding it much more enjoyable in retrospect.

Maybe it's because I know what to expect now, or maybe it's the novelty after coming off Unity of actually being able to collect all the things.

Also, the "Assassin's Tomb" Captain Kidd missions are pretty much my favourite "Tombs" of the series. Great variety.

I've not played the apparently disappointing DLC so I'll likely jump into that afterwards.

I've also not played Freedom Cry or Liberation HD yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Actually the DLC for AC3 is easily the best part of the game. Freedom Cry is fantastic and I'd love a full-blown game with Adewale as the protagonist and Liberation is ok I guess, it's kinda lukewarm but was good when I needed my AC fix at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I found really confusing about AC3 was the fast travel tunnel system. They do such a poor job of explaining it that I didn't realize how it worked until I played through the game a second time (I lost a save part way through and had to start over from the beginning.) Its also such an overly complicated way of doing it that wastes a ton of time.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for everyone who's been waiting for the good 2014 AC title to come to PC, Rogue has been announced for PC on March 10.

Nifty uPlay preorder bonus too:

quote:

PC gamers who pre-order Assassin's Creed Rogue through Ubisoft's Uplay will get one of seven Assassin's Creed games for free: Assassin's Creed 3, Freedom Cry, Liberation, Revelations, Brotherhood Deluxe, 2 Deluxe or the original Assassin's Creed.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 5, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

macnbc posted:

So for everyone who's been waiting for the good 2014 AC title to come to PC, Rogue has been announced for PC on March 10.

Not coming out on Steam or is Ubisoft being coy again. Hmm....:raise:

Neeevermind, there's a Steam entry now. Its kinda screwy in that it has all the preorder details (..looks like all the preorder DLC from the console version?) but you can't preorder. At least its on Steam! :dance:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Got Unity free with my Xbox One, haven't tried it yet though. Any of the DLC worth getting? Thankfully I read part of the thread and it said Dead Kings was free, so I grabbed that. There's an unreal amount of DLC to sift through on the Xbox Store, seems like dozens of individual weapons.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ziji posted:

Got Unity free with my Xbox One, haven't tried it yet though. Any of the DLC worth getting? Thankfully I read part of the thread and it said Dead Kings was free, so I grabbed that. There's an unreal amount of DLC to sift through on the Xbox Store, seems like dozens of individual weapons.

No need for any of it. The stuff you unlock in game is good enough and a lot of the DLC stuff is just lazy reskins.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Snuffman posted:

No need for any of it. The stuff you unlock in game is good enough and a lot of the DLC stuff is just lazy reskins.

Good to know, thanks!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Something I found really confusing about AC3 was the fast travel tunnel system. They do such a poor job of explaining it that I didn't realize how it worked until I played through the game a second time (I lost a save part way through and had to start over from the beginning.) Its also such an overly complicated way of doing it that wastes a ton of time.

AC3 is packed with tonnes of systems that aren't properly explained. Which is weird because at least a third of the game is tutorial.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ziji posted:

Good to know, thanks!

They also released the actual story DLC, Dead Kings, free. It takes place after the main game so you might want to hold off on playing until you finish the story. While the DLC doesn't have any direct spoilers for the main story it does have enough bits that you could probably guess some events through implication.

Speaking of Dead Kings, is that Leon kid supposed to be somebody? His codex entry is kind of vague and they set him up quite a bit but there isn't really any pay off as far as I can tell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm guessing he'll be featured in Victory somehow? What with Arno travelling to England at the end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I'm guessing he'll be featured in Victory somehow? What with Arno travelling to England at the end.

Victory is going to be like 40+ years after Unity.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

So? I'm not saying he'll be the protagonist but featured somehow, maybe an important person in the brotherhood, an assassination target or a templar enemy. They did set him up as somebody who would come back to the series. It's Ubisoft though so they might as well drop him altogether for no reason.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Dead Kings, is that Leon kid supposed to be somebody? His codex entry is kind of vague and they set him up quite a bit but there isn't really any pay off as far as I can tell.
I think they show Leon practicing air assassinations in that little backyard, implying he'll be a future assassin. Given the crappy characters in asscreed lately, Leon was a surprisingly interesting character.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

So? I'm not saying he'll be the protagonist but featured somehow, maybe an important person in the brotherhood, an assassination target or a templar enemy. They did set him up as somebody who would come back to the series. It's Ubisoft though so they might as well drop him altogether for no reason.

I realized that about 5 seconds after I hit post, you were referring to Leon, not Arno.

My bad.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think they show Leon practicing air assassinations in that little backyard, implying he'll be a future assassin. Given the crappy characters in asscreed lately, Leon was a surprisingly interesting character.

Y'know, now that I think about it we've never had an 'creed game where you play as the mentor in the mentor/student relationship. Well...I suppose Brohood and Revelations, but those were just computer generated students, not actual written characters. Might be an interesting dynamic in a later game: Dial back the coop to 2 players, make it more like Blacklist...I could see it.

Its pretty obvious that Arno is going to train Leon as an Assassin and we still don't know anything about the protagonist of Victory, though I can't say I have my dates straight so I may be waaay off.

Victory is late 1880's? French Revolution 1789 – 1799? Hmm...yeah...Leon could be a Master Assassin I suppose...

Far more likely a protagonist for a Napoleonic Wars Creed game.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Huh, so I just had my Resident Evil 6 moment with this, and am actually kind of enjoying it now. Once I realised the best way to play this game was as a gunslinger in a smoky dance club, it got a lot more entertaining. Dive into a window, smoke bomb, rapid fire pistol three people and then execute the last, and combat becomes pretty simple. This is much more entertaining.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Edit: quote is not edit. My first time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This evening I saw a copy of AC3 Limited edition, new, at Wal-Mart, for 75$.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You know, even if the story is poo poo, the combat horrid, and the performance schizophrenic, I'll give Unity one thing. It's an absolutely gorgeous game on a 970, and it is an utter joy to move around Paris. The parkour is fantastic and movement is fluid as all heck. I would say natural, but some of the leaps make you feel a tad magnetic, but even when you do glue yourself to an outstretched rope bridge or something it still feels really fluid and smooth and it's actually really enjoyable.

Everything else is terrible, from the stealth to the ludicrous amount of poo poo on the map, to the companion tie ins to the idiotic writing* and the underwhelming combat. But man, they really nailed the movement, if nothing else.

*Elise is pretty great, everyone else seems dumb. I like her, and hope I see more of her in the story going forwards.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Discendo Vox posted:

This evening I saw a copy of AC3 Limited edition, new, at Wal-Mart, for 75$.

I think every Walmart has some bizarrely old, full-retail game sitting on their shelves. My local store has a Gears of War 3 collector's edition for full price.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Last time I was in a Walmart, two-ish years ago, they had a box of GalCiv 2.

Vanilla.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So how dumb of it is me to preorder the deluxe edition of rogue? 57 CAD (45 USD) from Nuuvem.

E: also the tournament mission suuuuuuucked solo

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

The Iron Rose posted:

So how dumb of it is me to preorder the deluxe edition of rogue? 57 CAD from Nuuvem.

The thing about Rogue is you can go look up reviews of it from the console versions and know what you're getting. It's a lot less dumb than preordering a game that nobody has had a chance to see yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Iron Rose posted:

So how dumb of it is me to preorder the deluxe edition of rogue? 57 CAD (45 USD) from Nuuvem.
It's the most mechanically polished rear end Creed released yet with all the tedium trimmed and only pure fun left insde.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Iron Rose posted:

Really dumb. Don't pre-order anything (unless it's from Nintendo who seem to out of their way not to release poo poo).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

(unless it's from Nintendo who seem to out of their way not to release poo poo).

Counterpoint: Other M.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

E: also the tournament mission suuuuuuucked solo

Dumb because it's only a Uplay key which is awful.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Counterpoint: Other M.

Counter-counterpoint: Ubisoft.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

PoshAlligator posted:

Dumb because it's only a Uplay key which is awful.

Eh, not the end of the world, and at least I get AC3 from it, which I've never actually played. I just keep save backups now after losing my black flag save like, 3 times.

Palpek posted:

It's the most mechanically polished rear end Creed released yet with all the tedium trimmed and only pure fun left insde.

Also gotta be honest the templar uniforms are way nicer then the assassin ones and I'm pretty down for that.

I ended up biting the bullet, so I'll let you know how it all goes release day!

E: Another question. Whenever I get sent to another timeline in Unity I get a lot of what looks like artifacting. That by design? Or is my GPU hosed?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2015

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
In the vein of Metroid: Other M and games that local retailers sell at full price, my local Wal-Mart is still seling Metroid: Other M for full price. Good luck, guys! :bravo:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rogue is the gaming equivalent of a greasy hamburger. Its not exactly good, as the whole thing is repetitive and kinda bargain basement.

But if you need your fix, it'll get you through.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I've just started Rogue, done some basic ship hunting and collectible-looting, and it's playing a lot like a tweaked Black Flag. Which is good. In terms of the actual game, uh, when does the Templar bit begin? I just ran into Ben Franklin, which is quite early I guess, but if that's the key gimmick of this game I want to actually get into it. And how well do they handle it, given that the games so far have generally skewed towards the Assassins being the good guys? Is this one of those games where you're meant to feel like you're playing the villain, or do they actually give the Templar side some humanity behind all the cackling and the lust for power?

Also, not entirely relevant but I am reminded by the start of this game: Is the Adewale DLC for Black Flag worth getting? Is there anything worth getting for this one?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Templar thing starts really early, it's at the end of Sequence 2. Also there is a pretty solid motivation for the protagonist to leave Assassins and it's not just falling to the dark side but you'll have to see it for yourself, why spoil a game that you are actually playing at this very moment? Adewele DLC absolutely owns and tackles the difficult subject of slavery in an interesting way, it's a great little campaign that might just be the franchise at its very best. No DLC for Rogue is necessary, only completely skippable cosmetic stuff.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Ubisoft is dropping Patch #5 for Unity. Console versions get it today. PC gets it tomorrow.

The big headline is that all Initiates and Companion App items are unlocked for everyone permanently now, but here are the full patch notes:

quote:

Patch 5 release date: February 18th
Platforms: Xbox One, PS4 (PC coming February 19th)

Stability & performance

Fixed numerous random crashes both on Campaign and Coop

Save game & Progression

Fixed gear and outfit rewards getting relocked
Added users profile corrector to resolve companion synchronization issues
Made Initiate and companion app exclusive content accessible to all players
Fixed the ‘Find Leon’ objective not spawning on Dead Kings Memory 2

Online matchmaking, connectivity & replication

Fixed various matchmaking and connection issues both in matches and when starting a match.
Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
Fixed issues with the My Club feature

Gameplay (navigation, fight, stealth)

Fixed issue with Arno losing control after trying to launch Initiates from the pause menu
Fixed minor navigation issues

Menus and HUD

Fixed issues occurring when hacking gears
Fixed additional issues with notifications

World & 3D

Fixed some minor FX and texture issues

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

macnbc posted:

Ubisoft is dropping Patch #5 for Unity. Console versions get it today. PC gets it tomorrow.

The big headline is that all Initiates and Companion App items are unlocked for everyone permanently now, but here are the full patch notes:

Too little too late.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Patch Notes -

The phrase "Never Again" permanently branded on the hands and foreheads of all staff members involved in the creation of Initiates and the Unity Companion App.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

macnbc posted:

So much for the "major performance patch" that was forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

So much for the "major performance patch" that was forthcoming.

There's a saying my Boss taught me when I was first learning to code several years ago:

"If you start with poo poo code; no amount of patches will make it not-poo poo code."

There was a story where Unity first ran at 9fps. I would have scrapped that engine right there to begin with.

• Locked thread