Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Continuity error? Wasn't the M2 not released in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

external EVF, mode dial, control dial, next thing you're going to tell me to can autofocus quickly.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

evil_bunnY posted:

external EVF, mode dial, control dial, next thing you're going to tell me to can autofocus quickly.

It might even have the dual pixel AF.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It will have the focusing system from the 6D, but without the extra low light sensitivity.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

My girlfriend's mother asked me about my Canon gear the other evening at dinner, and wanted to know about buying DSLRs. I offered to help her decide on a model when she was ready to buy. Last night I found the box for her brand new T5.

:sigh:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NeuralSpark posted:

My girlfriend's mother asked me about my Canon gear the other evening at dinner, and wanted to know about buying DSLRs. I offered to help her decide on a model when she was ready to buy. Last night I found the box for her brand new T5.

:sigh:

When people ask for advice 99% of the time they just want validation for whatever purchase they were already planning on making.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

iSheep posted:

When people ask for advice 99% of the time they just want validation for whatever purchase they were already planning on making.

Wise words

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I am SO HAPPYYYY:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/02/canon-eos-rebel-750d760d-photos-and-specs-leaked/eos760d_t001/

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TheAngryDrunk posted:

"Hybrid CMOS AF III" apparently. Which if it's anything like I & II, I wouldn't expect much.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 5DS cameras have also been officially announced. No info who's making the sensor.

--edit: Word is designed by Canon, manufactured by Sony.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 5, 2015

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

I just bought a 700D :(.
Are these direct upgrades to the T5i series or are they a seperate line?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I thought I read somewhere that the 750 is the rebel upgrade, and 760 is more like the XXD line.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
God I wish they could stop making a clusterfuck of the naming/numbering conventions

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah that top LCD has been an XXD feature in the past, not a Rebel feature, right?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah that top LCD has been an XXD feature in the past, not a Rebel feature, right?

Yes, but it's not entirely like an XXD either. It has a back dial, but its the flimsy one they have on the M. It doesn't have an AF-ON button. Smaller too, and mirror viewfinder not prism

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So I guess every last bit of that "weird list of made up features" for the 5Ds turned out to be true. The sample images they're posting on the canon website looks great, although they're all in jpeg and nothing above 800 ISO.

I am torn. I would like more dynamic range/sensitivity for weddings, but I'm also doing more and more product photography these days so this camera could be perfect for that. BUT I would like to see how the 5Div performs in terms of low light.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I am so confused by the 5DS/5DSR announcement... can somebody please explain it to me?

I'm a 5D MkII user who was waiting for the camera that would warrant an upgrade. Now I'm half contemplating making the jump to a mirrorless body. Canon is really confusing me with their direction.

low light performance/sensitivity is a big big deal for me as well, which is what makes some of the new mirrorless (a7s) offerings so appealing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I am so confused by the 5DS/5DSR announcement... can somebody please explain it to me?

What's confusing?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The 5DR doesn't have the low pass filter so it'll be sharper.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

1st AD posted:

The 5DR doesn't have the low pass filter so it'll be sharper.

why for the first time ever is Canon deciding it's worth offering two options that are so incredibly similar? Is it just so specialized for studio use that that chance of moire is worth muddying their product offerings? Because if the 5DS is truly geared towards studio/tripod use then maybe it's not for me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why is this such a problem for you? Nikon did the same thing with the D800...either take the one without the OLPF and get a sharper camera at the expense of maybe having moire, or don't?

This doesn't muddy their product lines at all. I'm not even a fan of Canon in general but it seems like a weird thing to complain about.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

1st AD posted:

Why is this such a problem for you? Nikon did the same thing with the D800...either take the one without the OLPF and get a sharper camera at the expense of maybe having moire, or don't?

This doesn't muddy their product lines at all. I'm not even a fan of Canon in general but it seems like a weird thing to complain about.

I'm just trying to understand who this camera is made for primarily? I would have assumed these updates would be geared more towards a 1D model than 5D. Canon has just sort of been confusing me recently and I figured this was the thread to ask for some clarity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's for people doing commercial photography who don't want to make the jump to medium format but still need a high resolution camera. Basically Canon's answer to the D800, just 4 years delayed.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

1st AD posted:

It's for people doing commercial photography who don't want to make the jump to medium format but still need a high resolution camera. Basically Canon's answer to the D800, just 4 years delayed.

there it is then, that helps... I don't follow Nikon products very closely so I didn't realize this was Canon playing catch-up. It doesn't really help give me much faith in Canon though at this point. I don't know why I should continue to invest thousands into lenses and bodies for a company that hasn't truly innovated in years.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Yeah and the word is that the 5Ds is, as was predicted by some in this thread, just a scaled up 7Dii sensor, with the same DR as the 5D iii.

That sucks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Given they've now also split the 700D in to both a 750D and a 760D, they'll be selling 12 different bodies. They've clearly misunderstood the desperate pleas to "copy Sony".

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I'm just trying to understand who this camera is made for primarily? I would have assumed these updates would be geared more towards a 1D model than 5D. Canon has just sort of been confusing me recently and I figured this was the thread to ask for some clarity.

It looks to be made for studio, product, and landscape shooters. Those who want more AF and ISO would probably have to wait for the 5D4.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

For some reason the new EOS-M won't be sold in North America.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

For some reason the new EOS-M won't be sold in North America.
Because North American 'soccer moms' are proving reluctant to to buy a camera that isn't as oversized as their SUV. (Didn't the M2 also get 'not sold'?)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also the first one did very poorly so that must mean murikans don't want mirrorless right?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Everything you could possibly want to know about the new cameras:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5Ds.aspx

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So who's taking bets on base ISO DR being unchanged :D

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
As someone looking to buy his first DSLR, is it a bad idea to buy a 700D/T5i, even though the new rebels have been announced? I was looking at the 700d for a while and decided it's the right one, and now I'm torn... I think I probably don't need any of the new features, id rather go with better optics. Any advice/opinions?

Also, how much do you expect the price to drop on the previous models, and when?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Everything you could possibly want to know about the new cameras:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5Ds.aspx

quote:

The 5Ds has the same dynamic range as 5D III.

Sigh

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

So who's taking bets on base ISO DR being unchanged :D

Hahahahahaha that's the canon we know and love

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What I'm still really curious about is the 1.3 and 1.6 crop modes. Since it's confirmed now that there no change to FPS, ISO, or AF in these modes why would anyone use them and what kind of shooter are they intended for?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

busfahrer posted:

As someone looking to buy his first DSLR, is it a bad idea to buy a 700D/T5i, even though the new rebels have been announced? I was looking at the 700d for a while and decided it's the right one, and now I'm torn... I think I probably don't need any of the new features, id rather go with better optics. Any advice/opinions?

Also, how much do you expect the price to drop on the previous models, and when?

IIRC, I bought my 650D about a month before the 700D was released, and got it for almost $200 cheaper. Wait for the 700D to go on clearance, and spend what you saved on a nifty 50 or shorty 40.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
ohay, if Ken Rockwell says so it must be true:

"The Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R are the world's best digital SLRs, replacing the old 5D Mark III of 2012. The 5D Mk III was the world's best DSLR, and now these new 5DS are the world's best."

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

ohay, if Ken Rockwell says so it must be true:

"The Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R are the world's best digital SLRs, replacing the old 5D Mark III of 2012. The 5D Mk III was the world's best DSLR, and now these new 5DS are the world's best."

I like how he took the sample images Canon posted , and ran them through perfectly clear to make sure he got his plug in for them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

What I'm still really curious about is the 1.3 and 1.6 crop modes. Since it's confirmed now that there no change to FPS, ISO, or AF in these modes why would anyone use them and what kind of shooter are they intended for?

It means that what could have been a good idea is now a useless idea. It will only serve as marketing hype to people who don't understand the flexible nature of resolution and cropping.

What bothers me is that this camera could have been REALLY great; imagine a 50mp FF with good DR and the ability to switch around crop modes with all the added benefits that brings (essentially a switch that gives you faster fps, AF, better ISO sensitivity and longer reach for when you're on the move)