Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

ImpAtom posted:

The Dragonball rules don't make a lot of sense anyway. Didn't Kami lets Goku use it without the time limit once in Dragonball? You'd figure he could have done that poo poo again when Saiyan problems were going down.

I only saw good evidence for this after Freeza, but the dragonballs don't allow you to make a wish that causes something to happen to someone against their will. Goku refused to be wished back to Earth, presumably villains can refuse to be killed or teleported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kenshiro would gently caress all your Gokus right up

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TriffTshngo posted:

You're really underestimating how stupid broken Superman is.

I can think of several characters off hand who could chump Superman, even excluding nearly the entire fighting cast of Dragon Ball from Radditz on. He's not that strong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pre-Crisis Supes is legit completely broken. Post-Crisis he is more manageable.

Dunno about Nu52 Supes though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

Pre-Crisis Supes is legit completely broken. Pre-Crisis he is more manageable.

Dunno about Nu52 Supes though.

A nuke nearly kills him in a comic from last year or the year before, so Nu52 is as weak as he's ever been. Even Pre-Crisis there was about a billion people who could put him in headlocks in his own comics, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

A nuke nearly kills him in a comic from last year or the year before, so Nu52 is as weak as he's ever been. Even Pre-Crisis there was about a billion people who could put him in headlocks in his own comics, though.

I don't really read comics - has DC ever been as batshit as Marvel can get with literal gods and the embodiments of time and death itself running around?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't really read comics - has DC ever been as batshit as Marvel can get with literal gods and the embodiments of time and death itself running around?
Yeah he was called the Flash.

Superman could always power up by flying into the sun. He did it in OWAW or whatever the gently caress crossover. Went SSJ, punched out some gods, destroyed space time, the usual.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, there's the Endless, but they don't show up very often.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Spiritus Nox posted:

Way more batshit. DC defaults a couple notches closer to cosmic wackiness.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Goku pretty much dominated the fight technically and Superman had to keep up with him by getting closer to the sun. The idea that Superman under an ordinary midday sun could keep up with SSJ3/4 is insane though. It ends with Superman meditating on the surface of the sun for fifteen minutes while Goku charges a spirit bomb. That's a believable scenario for Superman victory. With the inclusion of god mode Goku could have won if we're working on the idea that a god is beyond mere physical damage. Especially with the established rule that Superman is as vulnerable to magic as an ordinary person.

And they worked off of each character at their prime. Sure Superman got put in a headlock, but if we want to work off of each character's worst moment let's not forget that Yamcha smashed Goku so hard it broke the fourth wall.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dogs named Charlie posted:

. It ends with Superman meditating on the surface of the sun for fifteen minutes while Goku charges a spirit bomb. That's a believable scenario for Superman victory.

It's really not, when Goku at base could destroy the sun effortlessly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think in a sheer physical fight, Goku might be able to take Supes, but the problem is that Goku can't breathe in a vacuum and Supes can.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The Greek pantheon are actual characters in DC.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They're better characters in Marvel, though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man I love DBZ but Goku has no chance against Superman :cmon:

Also anywhere to go watch some Xenoverse vids from Japan? Specifically I would like to watch some versus play with people who know what they are doing.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Why would Goku and Superman fight each other though?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Well Manicured Man posted:

Why would Goku and Superman fight each other though?

To take dibs on who fights Green Arrow

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Goku may have been dropped on his head as a baby, but he's still Saiyan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Silver Age Superman would win through the power of Super Cooking.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't matter Kirby could beat Superman and Goku.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Everyone loses to Squirrel Girl.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Everyone loses to Squirrel Girl Batman.

Fixed that for you. Even Squirrel Girl got eaten by Luke Cage once.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MH Knights posted:

Even Squirrel Girl got eaten by Luke Cage once.
She was his babysitter man :(

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

dogs named Charlie posted:

With the inclusion of god mode Goku could have won if we're working on the idea that a god is beyond mere physical damage.

Nah, gods are perfectly vulnerable to physical damage. Two of Vegeta's strikes actually end up drawing blood when he fights Beerus, one of them being this kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEbG49_Zkc

It's mortal ki that doesn't do poo poo to them. Having said that, God Goku could probably gently caress Supes right up due to the form's magical nature. Magic fucks him right up.

e: why are all these youtube rips so zoomed in and lovely

i know why shut up

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MH Knights posted:

Fixed that for you. Even Squirrel Girl got eaten by Luke Cage once.

Do you think that you'd be able to withstand the funk?

Although this gives me an idea for a Xenoverse character. Does anyone know if there are blouses with plunging necklines for men? Or if I can wear a tiara while having an afro?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 6, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Oh god how I miss Faulconer's music. I don't even care if it's because of nostalgia, that scene was just better with his music.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Going back to how many arcs there are, here's how I've always seen it:

Dragon Ball:
Pilaf Arc, 21st Tenkaichi Budokai Arc, Red Ribbon Army Arc, Uranai Baba Arc, 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc, King Piccolo Arc, and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc.

DBZ:
Vegeta Arc, Freeza Arc, Cell Arc, Buu Arc

That's it. Maybe the Freeza Arc is split up into the Namek Arc, Ginyu Force Arc, and then Freeza Arc. And the Cell Arc may be split into the Android Arc, Cell Arc, and Cell Games Arc. But there's no drat Raditz Arc or Trunks Arc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blue Star posted:

Going back to how many arcs there are, here's how I've always seen it:

Dragon Ball:
Pilaf Arc, 21st Tenkaichi Budokai Arc, Red Ribbon Army Arc, Uranai Baba Arc, 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc, King Piccolo Arc, and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc.

DBZ:
Vegeta Arc, Freeza Arc, Cell Arc, Buu Arc

That's it. Maybe the Freeza Arc is split up into the Namek Arc, Ginyu Force Arc, and then Freeza Arc. And the Cell Arc may be split into the Android Arc, Cell Arc, and Cell Games Arc. But there's no drat Raditz Arc or Trunks Arc.

I've always folded Baba with the RRA but they're technically separate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They aren't really, because it is technically Goku's hunt for his grandpa that is the overarching plot and he does that at the end of Uranai Baba arc. From collecting his momento of his grandfather, he realizes that life is more precious than any trinket by saving Upa's father. I see him having met his grandfather and said proper goodbyes to be the real conclusion to the arc, where the main antagonist was the Red Ribbon army.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I think in a sheer physical fight, Goku might be able to take Supes, but the problem is that Goku can't breathe in a vacuum and Supes can.

Saiyans have been shown in Vacuums no problem. Even in Battle of Gods.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kild posted:

Near-Earth Orbit and vacuum aren't... quite the same. Also Goku had become an actual god.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kild posted:

It wouldn't be that difficult given the scope of Saiyan powers. An invisible ki bubble just strong enough to trap in atmosphere would be enough to sustain a person for a short jaunt out into space, and even allow a medium for sound waves to propagate for speech. I properly trained ki user should, in theory, be able to throw one up almost as a reflex when faced with a sudden vacuum.

And in regards to the Goku vs. Superman debate, despite my many issues with the very questionable math Death Battle used to justify Superman's victory, they were still correct in the end and summed up the reason why perfectly. Goku is a man who, when given time to train, can surpass any limit. But Superman has no limits in the first place.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Hobo Siege posted:

Nah, gods are perfectly vulnerable to physical damage. Two of Vegeta's strikes actually end up drawing blood when he fights Beerus, one of them being this kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEbG49_Zkc

It's mortal ki that doesn't do poo poo to them. Having said that, God Goku could probably gently caress Supes right up due to the form's magical nature. Magic fucks him right up.

e: why are all these youtube rips so zoomed in and lovely

i know why shut up

This was a top Vegeta moment in all of DBZ :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Near-Earth Orbit and vacuum aren't... quite the same. Also Goku had become an actual god.

Apparently, this picture was taken from within the athomsphere of Earth:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Esroc posted:

It wouldn't be that difficult given the scope of Saiyan powers. An invisible ki bubble just strong enough to trap in atmosphere would be enough to sustain a person for a short jaunt out into space, and even allow a medium for sound waves to propagate for speech. I properly trained ki user should, in theory, be able to throw one up almost as a reflex when faced with a sudden vacuum.

Heck, Jedi can do it. And they do use Ki bubbles, according to the anime anyway. For some reason, I still remember that scene from the Goku Freeza fight, where Freeza knocks Goku into the lava, and Goku emerges while clearly making a bubble around him to make sure the lava never touches him.

I just thought it was a neat touch.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zzulu posted:

This was a top Vegeta moment in all of DBZ :allears:

I don't think Vegeta has ever been that goddamn mad. I don't think anyone in history has ever been that goddamn mad.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My biggest problem with the Death Battle was that Superman was ready and willing to blow up the loving PLANET at the end. He presumably had to know the consequences of attacking Goku like that would be, and "Man of Steel" jokes aside (I love that loving movie and will defend it forever), he never would have taken that route. I think he would have allowed himself to die before blowing up the planet. And I know the whole point is that it is a "death" battle, but THAT is a Superman "weakness" that was not explored- putting the lives of others before his own.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goku went to the moon in Dragon Ball. Vegeta was willing to destroy Earth with his Garlic Gun. Bardock stuff. Vegeta going Super Saiyan.

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 6, 2015

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

My biggest problem with the Death Battle was that Superman was ready and willing to blow up the loving PLANET at the end. He presumably had to know the consequences of attacking Goku like that would be, and "Man of Steel" jokes aside (I love that loving movie and will defend it forever), he never would have taken that route. I think he would have allowed himself to die before blowing up the planet. And I know the whole point is that it is a "death" battle, but THAT is a Superman "weakness" that was not explored- putting the lives of others before his own.

Of course Supes was allowed to go blow up the planet but we don't let Goku blow up the solar system and then teleport somewhere else.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

New Leaf posted:

If I remember correctly, they do mention that in the end. Supes would win, but at the cost of the planet if he really wanted it. But it was kind of in passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

AlternateNu posted:

If I remember correctly, they do mention that in the end. Supes would win, but at the cost of the planet if he really wanted it. But it was kind of in passing.

What I'm saying is, if that was indeed the case, he wouldn't win. End of story.

• Locked thread