Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

I'll never understand why people with that kind of money don't have a half share in a NetJet or something and never fly commercially unless there is no other viable option.

A jet with the range to go London to LA probably starts to get pricey even for somebody in that wealth range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mackieman posted:

I'll never understand why people with that kind of money don't have a half share in a NetJet or something and never fly commercially unless there is no other viable option.

NetJets is pretty non-cost effective for intercontinental flights.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mackieman posted:

Because they're often not as wealthy as they'd like you to think they are.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Also those tiny rear end private planes suck for long haul flights. First class commercial is way more comfortable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Also those tiny rear end private planes suck for long haul flights. First class commercial is way more comfortable.

Yeah, no. For long haul transcon stuff you're talking Bombardier Global Express, Dassault 7x, Embraer Lineage 1000, which are all configured with actual bedrooms. It's like the Etihad Residence on steroids. First class commercial is definitely not more comfortable.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, no. For long haul transcon stuff you're talking Bombardier Global Express, Dassault 7x, Embraer Lineage 1000, which are all configured with actual bedrooms. It's like the Etihad Residence on steroids. First class commercial is definitely not more comfortable.
International first class can be pretty kickass.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Small White Dragon posted:

Even business class is amazing on many airlines these days. Qatar Airways gives you some drat good food on flights to the Middle East and India. Its business class seats are actually enclosed in private cubicles and recline into completely flat beds.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Not compared to a private jet outfitted for long haul flights. I've never ridden in one, but I work in aerospace and I know guys who do the interiors for those things so they've showed me pictures/schematics. God drat are those things opulent.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's still not on the level of a Global Express outfitted for overnight. It's not. Look up some videos and images.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It does look pretty nice, but I also see the cabin is only 6'3" high (at its highest point, it's a curved aircraft fuselage of course). I'm an inch taller than that and I'd think it'd start to get pretty claustrophobic after hour 6 or so.

But then I guess I won't knock it till I've tried it.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Bloodnose posted:

I've only flown one of those things. While first class commercial is pretty awesome, the airline products differ massively and some of the top luxury first class cabins fly very limited routes. For example, Singapore Airlines only flies to SFO LAX NYC and IAH. You would still be connecting in major airports if you live outside a megacity, and that might be a big deal for executives that can afford them.

Also it kind of astounds me there are people in the world that book full-fare United Global First that can cost as much, if not more, than things like Lufthansa First.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I'm baffled by anyone that would waste miles on UA global first if there were options other than Air India.

Tho I suppose the partner redemption rates now make it prohibitive in a lot of cases.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

AdrenalinG posted:

I do. I don't have plat though so I can't PM you.

Thanks man - some goons hooked me up but I might be requesting further advice and assistance later on this year. Will contact you if so.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

I'm baffled by anyone that would waste miles on UA global first if there were options other than Air India.

Tho I suppose the partner redemption rates now make it prohibitive in a lot of cases.

Indeed, F on partners is particularly bad. C is only 10K miles more in most cases which is a little more palatable to me. Now if only I could bend their routing rules to my will...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone ever flown Aeroflot premium economy? It's only a little more than the other carrier's economy, like $1100 to Europe via Moscow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Anyone ever flown Aeroflot premium economy? It's only a little more than the other carrier's economy, like $1100 to Europe via Moscow.

I have heard the hard product is pretty nice - good food, wider seats, more pitch. Similar to US domestic first. However, I have also heard that Aeroflot is still ragingly inconsistent with stuff like boarding process etc. These are both second-hand.

For the same price as other economy, I'd do it.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I fly Aeroflot all the time (I'm in Moscow). It's actually a lot better than it used to be. Go for it.

Edit:

At the same time, don't spend an extra 6 hours in transit just to sit in a bigger seat.

Get there as fast as you can.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 5, 2015

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

I fly Aeroflot all the time (I'm in Moscow). It's actually a lot better than it used to be. Go for it.

Edit:

At the same time, don't spend an extra 6 hours in transit just to sit in a bigger seat.

Get there as fast as you can.

I book longer layovers in Australia to enjoy the Qantas first lounges :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AdrenalinG posted:

I book longer layovers in Australia to enjoy the Qantas first lounges :colbert:

What the hell itinerary connects through Australia? Or do you start/end there and connect through Sydney or Canberra?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've only been doing this two months but I hate every single person on a plane, car rental, or hotel that's on vacation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've only been doing this two months but I hate every single person on a plane, car rental, or hotel that's on vacation.

Give it another couple of months and you'll drop the qualifier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

What the hell itinerary connects through Australia? Or do you start/end there and connect through Sydney or Canberra?

The entire South Pacific to the majority of Asia?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It doesn't get better. Vacationers are the bane of my travel experiences.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

when the plane lands, people clap

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

New Zealand, or a bunch of Oceania destinations.

Here's a tip for anyone booking award tickets to Australia: it's sometimes cheaper both in mileage to route to a random Oceania place connecting through Australia, and you will also save the taxes that apply for terminating travel in Australia.

Aristotle Animes posted:

when the plane lands, people clap
That's common on flights to/from Cuba, but that's understandable.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

AdrenalinG posted:

That's common on flights to/from Cuba, but that's understandable.

I've seen that flying into Beijing as well

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When it happens, when they clap, an icicle of anguishing embarrassment runs down my back right to my crack and another grazes my taint; both point to and threaten my butthole. For the next month, every time the wheels go down I break into a sweat, please don't clap pleasse don't clap no no no don't clap DON'T clap please please please. Just keep your hands busy with the hog snacks you brought. I loving HATE YOU! i'm sorry. please just don't DON'T just don't do it. it's stupid and pointless I HOPE THIS THING CRASHES. not really just please control yourself. don't clap don't clap don't DON'T Clarmpet. Pobble. Porple clarmp charmp champ. Claerpeto parmple. Wern teh plurn luends. No clarp.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

When it happens, when they clap, an icicle of anguishing embarrassment runs down my back right to my crack and another grazes my taint; both point to and threaten my butthole. For the next month, every time the wheels go down I break into a sweat, please don't clap pleasse don't clap no no no don't clap DON'T clap please please please. Just keep your hands busy with the hog snacks you brought. I loving HATE YOU! i'm sorry. please just don't DON'T just don't do it. it's stupid and pointless I HOPE THIS THING CRASHES. not really just please control yourself. don't clap don't clap don't DON'T Clarmpet. Pobble. Porple clarmp charmp champ. Claerpeto parmple. Wern teh plurn luends. No clarp.

Someone got into the Dewar's white label. :cool:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

*lands at DIA*
*everyone claps*
*"Rocky Mountain High" starts playing over the speaker system*
*kills self*

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DJCobol posted:

It doesn't get better. Vacationers are the bane of my travel experiences.

Remember when the TSA had the black diamond lanes for people who knew what they were doing? :sigh:

Remember when Precheck pax were all actually precheck pax who knew what to do? Yeah, me either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bisty Q. posted:

Remember when the TSA had the black diamond lanes for people who knew what they were doing? :sigh:

Remember when Precheck pax were all actually precheck pax who knew what to do? Yeah, me either.

Supposedly Precheck is going back to opt in only... once they get sufficient numbers of opt-ins. Ugh.

The vacationers is why I really hate flying WN and why I don't like B6 very much either, though out of Boston B6 is like 3/4 business travelers.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, Chicago Midway always had one of those, and it was ALWAYS full of grandmas with walkers, or vacationers with 5 kids, 2 strollers and like 15 bags. It was always a miracle when they would shove me off to the right, away from all of them.

quote:

The first few months were great. And then they started randomly grabbing people. No, leave your shoes on. No, quit rummaging through your 35 year old carryon for your toiletries. STOP TAKING YOUR LAPTOP OUT OF YOU BAG AND REMOVING YOU JACKET DAMMIT AAAAARRGGHH!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Supposedly Precheck is going back to opt in only... once they get sufficient numbers of opt-ins. Ugh.

The vacationers is why I really hate flying WN and why I don't like B6 very much either, though out of Boston B6 is like 3/4 business travelers.
I try not to fly Southwest anymore, because I hate that my company won't let me expense earlybird check in, and thats the only way to not get stuck in the middle to back of the B boarding group these days. So now I'm grinding out enough segments on Delta since I'm only a 45 minute connecting flight to ATL, and hoping to get Silver soon so I can get those sweet, sweet preferred or economy comfort seats.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Cobol doesn't a list on southwest avoid that problem?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I think the TSA Precheck thing will fix itself over time. People who only fly occasionally are conditioned to taking everything out and doing the body scanners. When those first came out frequent travelers complained that vacationers didn't know what they were doing. Now security is slowly going back towards some level of sanity, and frequent travelers are once again complaining vacationers don't know what they're doing. It'll sort itself out.

It doesn't help that the TSA isn't even consistent about what PreCheck entails. At my home airport, for example, PreCheck still requires you to take out your laptop and liquids, but lets you keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Different airports have different rules even if you get the three beeps.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I think the TSA Precheck thing will fix itself over time. People who only fly occasionally are conditioned to taking everything out and doing the body scanners. When those first came out frequent travelers complained that vacationers didn't know what they were doing. Now security is slowly going back towards some level of sanity, and frequent travelers are once again complaining vacationers don't know what they're doing. It'll sort itself out.

It doesn't help that the TSA isn't even consistent about what PreCheck entails. At my home airport, for example, PreCheck still requires you to take out your laptop and liquids, but lets you keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Different airports have different rules even if you get the three beeps.

Mine is "shoes on, coat on, liquids in, laptops in." It's so good, cause I can show up 5 minutes before boarding and walk right on.

My precheck didn't show on my boarding pass last night and the tsa lady almost killed me. I wish we got issued cards or something.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Cobol doesn't a list on southwest avoid that problem?
Yeah, but I usually hover around at about 70% completion for A-list. I think a year or so ago I was only 3 flights short, but all my December travel got cancelled, so I never got there. This year I will have more and more Canada trips to do, and if I'm going to go for status on an airline it will be one that will get me something for international destinations where I may actually want to go someday. I know Southwest does the Caribbean now, but I'm a pasty nerd who has no desire to go to the beach. Southwest was great before when I could change my plans on a whim (and that did happen a lot), but nowadays my schedule is pretty well set.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Mine is "shoes on, coat on, liquids in, laptops in." It's so good, cause I can show up 5 minutes before boarding and walk right on.
BNA usually has an agent standing in the middle of the 2 precheck lanes telling people what to do, and they still gently caress it up. Around 5 minutes is my record too from the time I was dropped off at the door until I was sitting at my gate, and that was at the end of the C-terminal.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My precheck didn't show on my boarding pass last night and the tsa lady almost killed me. I wish we got issued cards or something.

Having PreCheck doesn't guarantee you get it every single time. They still sometimes randomly leave you off, though that seems to happen a lot less often if you get it via signing up or Global Entry vs. getting it via an airline. When I got it through Delta I didn't get PreCheck about 1/3 of the time. Since I actually signed up for PreCheck I've only missed it once.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
At SNA, using the middle security lines, I'm normally through security and into the terminal in less than two minutes. Its awesome.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thoguh posted:

Having PreCheck doesn't guarantee you get it every single time. They still sometimes randomly leave you off, though that seems to happen a lot less often if you get it via signing up or Global Entry vs. getting it via an airline. When I got it through Delta I didn't get PreCheck about 1/3 of the time. Since I actually signed up for PreCheck I've only missed it once.

The only times I've had it not show up are when I haven't flown AA (aka outside of the US which makes sense), perhaps check if you have a place to put your known traveler ID in your FF profile! It's been very consistent for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually glad to see vacationers. The more people flying the cheaper and more accessible air travel is. Besides it's fun to see people excited by the joys of flying. It's like watching senior citizens playing with smart phones.

I just blame TSA and america for lovely security theatre.