Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"It's your turn, Steve."

"I drop my sword and use a full-round action to expel my seed onto the ground."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The perfect start to a new page.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

Incorporate Persona fusion in, you know you want to. Make it a giant affair with enormous amounts of d10s and forcing the player to manually approve each and every rolled for skill. The only way you can achieve maximum Persona 3/4 verisimilitude is to make the process so dull that you only realize you've made your mistake of canceling out the right combination at the last split-second while your goal crumbles around you. Again.

:smith:

Persona 4 Golden made it ~~casual~~ by letting you just pick what skills you want the new Persona to inherit. Where's the feeling of achievement when you fuse the perfect Persona if you didn't have to spend the better part of an hour canceling combinations you didn't want?

My actual plan is to have character creation involve each player designing a custom Persona for their character. There won't be experience points--you level up by growing as a person (or just at story milestones, at the GM's discretion), with major character development leading to your Persona evolving. Basically, everyone works like the non-protagonists in Persona 3/4, just with more control over customizing their Persona. You also pick Domains that determine what powers your Persona has access to (things like Fire, Ice, Light, Healing, Swords, Defense, that kind of thing), and then pick Basic (at-will), Scene (encounter), and Unique (daily) powers from your Domains, and you can gain one new Domain per "tier" (once per Persona evolution, essentially). Also, all of the stats are mental stats, because your powers all come from your Persona: Courage, Diligence, Understanding, Knowledge, and Expression.

It's basically going to be 13th Age with player-generated "classes," Bonds, and different math to make it behave a little more like a PbtA game with success, partial success, fail. Maybe the strings system from Monsterheart would work better than Dungeon World-style bonds, but that's to be decided later.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, I know I was dogging on pathfinder for letting you take a feat specifically geared towards making you a fearsome killer of domesticated pets, but sometimes they knock it out of the park. Like this PC race's ability:

For point of reference this is an ability possessed by a plant race, and now that I think about it a fairly blatant copy of a namekian ability from Dragonball.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 5, 2015

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Persona 4 Golden made it ~~casual~~ by letting you just pick what skills you want the new Persona to inherit. Where's the feeling of achievement when you fuse the perfect Persona if you didn't have to spend the better part of an hour canceling combinations you didn't want?
Whoever argues this is a bad thing should be thrown off of a building into a pile of used PS2 controllers.

Harrow posted:

My actual plan is to have character creation involve each player designing a custom Persona for their character. There won't be experience points--you level up by growing as a person (or just at story milestones, at the GM's discretion), with major character development leading to your Persona evolving. Basically, everyone works like the non-protagonists in Persona 3/4, just with more control over customizing their Persona. You also pick Domains that determine what powers your Persona has access to (things like Fire, Ice, Light, Healing, Swords, Defense, that kind of thing), and then pick Basic (at-will), Scene (encounter), and Unique (daily) powers from your Domains, and you can gain one new Domain per "tier" (once per Persona evolution, essentially). Also, all of the stats are mental stats, because your powers all come from your Persona: Courage, Diligence, Understanding, Knowledge, and Expression.
Sounds good! I'd heavily recommend a setup where strong guidelines are set out as to what constitutes as growing up as a person, for the purpose of advancement. Also what a story milestone is. That is, if you weren't already doing it.

Harrow posted:

It's basically going to be 13th Age with player-generated "classes," Bonds, and different math to make it behave a little more like a PbtA game with success, partial success, fail. Maybe the strings system from Monsterheart would work better than Dungeon World-style bonds, but that's to be decided later.
Monsterheart strings would not work well for Persona in my opinion, bonds seem more the style of Persona. Though, that's just picking between the two options, since I feel like neither really fit.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

NachtSieger posted:

Monsterheart strings would not work well for Persona in my opinion, bonds seem more the style of Persona. Though, that's just picking between the two options, since I feel like neither really fit.

Maybe something like each playbook having a specific arcana, and able to build personas using moves from an arcana's list. You having a rating with each other PC, and increasing that rating (in a Hx-like way maybe?) lets you bring in more moves from their arcana when you craft personas?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Obviously the bonds-like mechanic to steal for a Persona game are Loises and Tituses.

(Not really.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Maybe something like each playbook having a specific arcana, and able to build personas using moves from an arcana's list. You having a rating with each other PC, and increasing that rating (in a Hx-like way maybe?) lets you bring in more moves from their arcana when you craft personas?

If I end up skewing closer to PbtA than a d20-like game with more structured combat/powers, then having each arcana as a playbook makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure how to work in The Fool and The World yet, but I could see both of those working as playbooks in a system like that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Harrow posted:

If I end up skewing closer to PbtA than a d20-like game with more structured combat/powers, then having each arcana as a playbook makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure how to work in The Fool and The World yet, but I could see both of those working as playbooks in a system like that.

You could do something where each Arcana playbook has some PC stuff and NPC stuff, so each Arcana that isn't taken by a player still exists somewhere in the setting for the GM to use, and for players to form bonds with for bonuses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gnome7 posted:

You could do something where each Arcana playbook has some PC stuff and NPC stuff, so each Arcana that isn't taken by a player still exists somewhere in the setting for the GM to use, and for players to form bonds with for bonuses.

Oh, that's a really cool idea. That might actually provide a good mechanic for having players "fuse" Personas by just letting them build new Personas for themselves over time. The casts of Persona 1 and 2 could all use multiple Personas, so that'd fit right in.

If I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I could try to cover both scenarios in the rules. If you want your campaign to be more like Persona 3/4, where only people with the Fool Arcana can change Personas, then you give players more chances to evolve their starting Persona and make it more versatile. If you want to allow everyone to change, if everyone's a Wild Card, then you evolve your starter Persona less but you get opportunities to create new ones as you go.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think Night Witches would be a good base for a Persona hack. It's already got moves split into day and night, with day being about politicking and night being about tense, dangerous battles, and it has a regard system that is sort of equatable to bonds.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Persona, they released a trailer for 5 and it looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It really, really does. Both previous teasers were relatively... stark, I guess, so I wasn't at all expecting something jazzy and stylish from Persona 5. It looks like everything I never knew I wanted from a Persona game.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Harrow posted:

Someone's gotta talk me out of trying to create a Persona tabletop game out of some kind of unholy fusion of PbtA, 13th Age, and Fate.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm gonna do it anyway. Don't worry. I'm not crazy enough to try to incorporate Persona fusion into this. Nobody needs that many tables.

You could take a look at Monsters and Other Childish Things or Better Angels. Both are based around the idea of each player having two components to their character. Both are also one roll engine games, which is a dice pool system that considers both the number on the die (height) and the number of matches you get (width).

In Monsters and Other Childish Things it is (by default) a kid and their monster. The monster dearly wants to protect and make their kid happy but (being a monster) doesn't fully understand people. Mechanically, the monster is built from a laundry list of powers that can lead to quite a bit of customization. It also uses Bonds as a mechanic, so you can have a mechanical connection to other characters like in a PbtA game. (In fact, if you stress the Bond, you have to spend time with that person to repair it - kind of like Social Links.)

It's a really fun game in any case; I have used it to run a Pokemon game to good effect. But since the Monsters are built by each player, you aren't going to have or really need giant tables of Personas and you'd have to figure out your own rules for fusions (if you wanted to do that).

I haven't played Better Angels but I've listened to some actual plays of it. The default assumption is that each player will control their own character and a demon that is tempting another player's character. (There's rules on when the demons can talk and what they can do to keep this from turning into chaos.) As the demon, they can make deals and try to trick their mortal into going to hell. You would want these mechanics if you wanted a more adversarial game where the characters' shadows were a constant threat.

I think an oWoD game - probably Wraith? - used a similar idea to the demon.

Again, demons are custom-built, so you would have to do a lot of house-ruling if you wanted that collect/fusion feel of Persona.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Sionak posted:

You could take a look at Monsters and Other Childish Things or Better Angels. Both are based around the idea of each player having two components to their character. Both are also one roll engine games, which is a dice pool system that considers both the number on the die (height) and the number of matches you get (width).

In Monsters and Other Childish Things it is (by default) a kid and their monster. The monster dearly wants to protect and make their kid happy but (being a monster) doesn't fully understand people. Mechanically, the monster is built from a laundry list of powers that can lead to quite a bit of customization. It also uses Bonds as a mechanic, so you can have a mechanical connection to other characters like in a PbtA game. (In fact, if you stress the Bond, you have to spend time with that person to repair it - kind of like Social Links.)

It's a really fun game in any case; I have used it to run a Pokemon game to good effect. But since the Monsters are built by each player, you aren't going to have or really need giant tables of Personas and you'd have to figure out your own rules for fusions (if you wanted to do that).

Yeah, if you wanted to play the plot (but not the crunch) of a persona game and were ok with Personas being a bit more wilful than they are in the games, MaOCT would work fine.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I know the Kanye sucks comment was a page or two back but lol if you wouldn't play a campaign where the PCs form a Tribe to Quest in order to overthrow the God-King Kanye by gathering ancient artifacts of power from the Wu Tang masters, while avoiding entanglements with the Notorious Junior Mafia thieves guild. Also your bard could sound like Nate Dogg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FastestGunAlive posted:

I know the Kanye sucks comment was a page or two back but lol if you wouldn't play a campaign where the PCs form a Tribe to Quest in order to overthrow the God-King Kanye by gathering ancient artifacts of power from the Wu Tang masters, while avoiding entanglements with the Notorious Junior Mafia thieves guild. Also your bard could sound like Nate Dogg

That was me.

If I can play the mad wizard Del T. Homosapien, you got yourself a deal.
(Also it's all good because Kanye is the bad guy in this game)

E: actually, this is a great idea, please post a recruit thread and link it here TIA

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Eternal Sonata sucked, though?

Honestly I'd probably roll up with Beethoven or Aaron Copland or even Phillip Glass than whoever Nate Dogg is. Is he like Snoop Dogg?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Regulators, mount up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Where does G-Unit fit into all this?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Waffleman_ posted:

Stop, drop, shut 'em down open up shop
Oh... no... That's how Ruff Ryders roll

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Waffleman_ posted:

Driving around in the desert with 50 Cent, duh.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

It really, really does. Both previous teasers were relatively... stark, I guess, so I wasn't at all expecting something jazzy and stylish from Persona 5. It looks like everything I never knew I wanted from a Persona game.

In retrospect, it was pretty clever of them to lower our expectations by making the protagonist look profoundly boring in teaser 2.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm pretty sure you could do a full-length adventure in that setting based off Army of the Pharaohs and also that it would own tremendously. All-seeing eye pyramids served by lizardman blood priests. Vinnie Paz exiled from cambion society because the mariliths found his language 'extremely problematic'. An encounter derived entirely from Planetary's verse on Battle Hymn.

e: a recurring merchant npc that's literally just wiz khalifa

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Solomonic posted:

I'm pretty sure you could do a full-length adventure in that setting based off Army of the Pharaohs and also that it would own tremendously. All-seeing eye pyramids served by lizardman blood priests. Vinnie Paz exiled from cambion society because the mariliths found his language 'extremely problematic'. An encounter derived entirely from Planetary's verse on Battle Hymn.

e: a recurring merchant npc that's literally just wiz khalifa

gently caress yeah, this needs to happen.

E: Rollin round tha Shire, smokin pipeweed, snackin on lembas bread...

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 6, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wizard Khalifa, come on.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rzaistlin

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Eternal Sonata sucked, though?

You take that back :negative:

Error 404 posted:

E: Rollin round tha Shire, smokin pipeweed, snackin on lembas bread...

Release the cloudkill, to make your motherfucking brain ill...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Pretty sure ghost face killa already has a prestige class named after him.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!

http://chipandironicus.com/videos/mgr/

:v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Specifically the Senator's whole fight.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

D'awwwww, you're a sweetie.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

FastestGunAlive posted:

I really thought this was going to be a link to that Key & Peele sketch with "Kanye the Giant", but apparently that's not on youtube at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBwpP1zTLw8

:v:

Seriously, though, if you make a Monster Hunter module that has mechanics for breaking monster parts, getting carves, and making them into new gear I will love you forever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Mr Freeze from Batman Arkham City is a kickass fight where you have to exploit the environment and no trick works twice. I'd love to see this as an encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgCWSnfXFU

If you're looking for giant monsters then Goht from Majora's Mask is a race where you have to knock the boss over to get hits in. Terrain creation and lightning bolts too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TXvurHlV7M

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Always been fond of the first part of the last boss of Guilty Gear 2: Overture for that sort of thing. You chase after a giant flying monster while it shoots lasers and missiles at you through what looks like a lake of blood, then jump up on top of it for the actual fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrk7MZCDVpw

Also Hard Corps: Uprising, another Arc System Works game. Heck, the entire final stage is fantastic, you ride a missile to enter the stage, steal and then ramp a hoverbike off a pier and onto a flying battleship fleet that has started shooting at you as it advances, fight across one of the battleships as you destroy it part by part, then blow up its power core (while on it, while it's still in air), and finish off with a duel to the death with the tyrant who grows into a horrible mutant beast that chases you even onto the crashing debris of the falling battleship before you kill him and jump on a helicopter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns6rM54aQpA

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

D'awwwww, you're a sweetie.

I would've suggested Shadow of the Colossus but you guys haven't done that yet.

hint hint

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty sure ghost face killa already has a prestige class named after him.

Yup. It's in Dragon Magazine #289. I bought Oriental Adventures way back in the day and picked up this issue of Dragon because it was a tie-in to OA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Vanquish's 1st boss Argus is all kinds of great. You intercept its artillery shells and stuff them back in its cannon.

Pikmin 3, funnily enough, has some really good boss-fights; it makes really good use of the world's miniature scale. Quaggled Mireclops is a huge boss who stomps all over your tiny characters and makes hazardous terrain anywhere it goes.

And the Scornet Maestro is a cool swarm boss that attacks and defends using mook-enemies in formation. There aren't enough bosses who do that!

• Locked thread