Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Namor's actions (blowing up the Society's World, unleashing the Cabal) in particular are unpardonable. He is responsible for the death of Trillions.

At least Namor killed to save others. T'Challa tried to straight up murder him out of revenge. So T'Challa is an attempted murderer without any sort of morality issues to save face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

At least Namor killed to save others. T'Challa tried to straight up murder him out of revenge. So T'Challa is an attempted murderer without any sort of morality issues to save face.

The revenge of him almost destroying his country. Namor was also fully aware that T'Challa was going to try to kill him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

hope and vaseline posted:

It's one of the victims of the 8 month jump. Sure, it let Hickman do some really interesting things with the status quo, adding more urgency to the incursions, and putting us in media res with the pesudo Civil War situation, but it ended up with a lot of really interesting stuff that is just alluded to instead of expanded on. And yeah you could definitely make a point that restructuring the previous 2 acts to allow for a more natural thematic progression would have worked better so I'm wondering just how much of the jump was planned in the first place.

Yeah, agreed.
Of course you will always have issues with Hindsight as a storyteller where you look back and see things you could have done differently. By and large Hickman always nails it out of the park, and is such a talented long term story teller (how his previous works all seem to interconnect and tell an overarching story) that this is more a minor missed opportunity than a major flaw with the Incursion story.

jsoh posted:

i thought that dozen or whatever universes left were just the ones with an earth, and that the ones where the earths were destroyed were severed permanently but still extant? namor saved zillions!

I thought that too, but now I'm not sure. At the start of the Story Arc we all seemed to think that blowing up the Earth spared the universe, but that was before we learned at how the 616 is undergoing an early death. (What with all the stars blowing up prematurely.) It's possibly/ likely that all other universes are experiencing the same fate, which would tally with the overall theme/message of the book "EVERYTHING DIES!"

This combined with the fact that there seems to be more blank/dead spaces between universes indicates that they are gone.

Also in the last issue, when Reed and T'Challa were talking about their "Use the Cosmic Cube to Evacuate the Earth" plan, it seemed to be with a view that even after they blew up their Earth, they would still be able to interact with the Multiverse and stop the overall cause of this. (Just without the ticking clock.) So maybe blowing up the Earth just means there is no second Earth for a Universe to smack into when an Incursion does occurs and makes it all okay?

I'm not sure. Plus they seem to be playing up that there is a bigger gap of no Universes that Thor, Hyperion and Co. were jumping across to find the Black Priests.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

jsoh posted:

i thought that dozen or whatever universes left were just the ones with an earth, and that the ones where the earths were destroyed were severed permanently but still extant? namor saved zillions!

Yeah. It's a lovely thing to get technical about but Namor isn't responsible for the death of trillions. He killed billions to save trillions, that was the point.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

PelvicNerve posted:

Yeah. It's a lovely thing to get technical about but Namor isn't responsible for the death of trillions. He killed billions to save trillions, that was the point.

I think all those earths he helped The Cabal take out are some additions to the equation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jsoh posted:

Not exactly. Reed's diagram from NA#2 explains it but it goes like: destroying Earth "saves" the universe right there and then but it brings the end-death of ALL the universes closer. It's why stars are randomly collapsing and poo poo is going bad everywhere (celestials vanishing). All the universes are dying as the number of Earths is reduced.

Blowing up and earth just delays things bit. Everyone dies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The revenge of him almost destroying his country. Namor was also fully aware that T'Challa was going to try to kill him.

This was after Wakanda had completely destroyed Atlantis. Namor didn't attempt to murder someone out of cold blood, and T'Challa did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

First Bass posted:

I just noticed how sort of... boring Earth's getting. Atlantis flattened, Wakanda razed, Attilan in ruins (and worse yet, Jersey!), Asgardia back amongst the stars... it sort of feels like a huge push back against Avengers World's attempts to flesh out the uniqueness of 616. Makes one wonder what it's all going to look like after Secret Wars.

All titles canceled except Daredevil and Spider-man, and all they ever do is fight Stilt-man and the Enforcers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This was after Wakanda had completely destroyed Atlantis. Namor didn't attempt to murder someone out of cold blood, and T'Challa did.

When was this? I am pretty sure Namor decided to destroy Wakanda since they were hiding the Avengers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

When was this? I am pretty sure Namor decided to destroy Wakanda since they were hiding the Avengers.

A Phoenix-possessed Namor attacked Wakanda after the Avengers invaded the X-Men's home, and attacked and kidnapped some of their kids. Then Wakanda went and destroyed Atlantis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Phoenix-possessed Namor attacked Wakanda after the Avengers invaded the X-Men's home, and attacked and kidnapped some of their kids. Then Wakanda went and destroyed Atlantis.

Then Namor sent Thanos's army to destroy Wakanda

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Really it comes down to Wakanda and Atlantis kicking those 2 the gently caress out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Then Namor sent Thanos's army to destroy Wakanda

Yeah, it's turtles all the way down at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

Makes one wonder what it's all going to look like after Secret Wars.

Not to be a negative Nancy but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "pretty much status quo"

I mean, just based on future things coming out, we all know there's an Inhumans book coming out, so I'd say Attilan won't be smouldering ash, Black Panther's due for a movie, so Wakanda will rise again (if it doesn't just pop back immediately post-SW), Ms. Marvel's too popular to let Jersey die... well okay, I guess there's no reason Atlantis can't stay hosed. Sorry Namor.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Really it comes down to Wakanda and Atlantis kicking those 2 the gently caress out.

I'm parsing this all as "AvX was poo poo".

TwoPair posted:

Not to be a negative Nancy but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "pretty much status quo"

I mean, just based on future things coming out, we all know there's an Inhumans book coming out, so I'd say Attilan won't be smouldering ash, Black Panther's due for a movie, so Wakanda will rise again (if it doesn't just pop back immediately post-SW), Ms. Marvel's too popular to let Jersey die... well okay, I guess there's no reason Atlantis can't stay hosed. Sorry Namor.

I mean, in all likelihood it will resemble some status quo from the recent past, but when exactly? The past decade or so has been so chock-full of event comics, the new normal has been no normal. At the very least, we can guess what pieces of it will look like based on what the movies/TV properties are shaping up to be, but how willing are they to throw out, say, Death of Wolverine and Original Sin before the bodies are even cold?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

All female Avengers team is coming out of Secret Wars. Written by Wilson w/Molina on art. Being fully announced later today on the View.
http://mashable.com/2015/02/06/marvel-female-avengers-a-force/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That looks awesome.

EDIT:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Ultimate universe seems especially unlucky when it comes to incursions. Reed says he's killed 67 worlds while by my count the 616 universe has faced only 21 incursions. I guess the Ultimate universe is lucky to have the Reed Richards it does.

Also that new Avengers book looks cool.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

That looks awesome.

EDIT:
Dazzler, awwyiss.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Also it looks like Monica Rambeau is getting put back in her old Captain Marvel costume

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

Dazzler, awwyiss.

Non Goth/punk Dazzler that Bendis tried.

Neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phoenix Jean, Universe, and Wanda alone would wreck the hell out of anything. I love everything about it. Jubilee, Spider-Gwen, RESCUE, old-school Gamora, Dazzler! Only one I don't recognize is the goth at the bottom right but I know I've seen her somewhere (runaways?)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

Also it looks like Monica Rambeau is getting put back in her old Captain Marvel costume

That has a bunch of alternate universe characters in it, like powered Jubilee, Spider-Gwen, and Phoenix. I wouldn't read that much into it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think its nico but she looks pretty white

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
So Spider-Woman is back in her old costume? That was fast.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Who's the one who looks like Eternity's sister? Abyss?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Majuju posted:

Who's the one who looks like Eternity's sister? Abyss?

It's either a newly designed Captain Universe from Hickman's run or the new character they mention in the article named Singularity. My guess is the latter.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

It's either a newly designed Captain Universe from Hickman's run or the new character they mention in the article named Singularity. My guess is the latter.

My guess is that they are one in the same and she gets some new version of the powers due to multiversal collapse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SirDan3k posted:

My guess is that they are one in the same and she gets some new version of the powers due to multiversal collapse.

quote:

They also had a mandate to create a new character, and Wilson came up with Singularity. Instead of being a flesh-and-blood human, she's actually a cosmological event — according to Wilson, she is a pocket universe that gained self-consciousness during the radical upheaval of Secret Wars.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/02/06/marvel-comics-a-force-female-avengers/22970157/

So it's definitely Singularity.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Starsnostars posted:

The Ultimate universe seems especially unlucky when it comes to incursions. Reed says he's killed 67 worlds while by my count the 616 universe has faced only 21 incursions. I guess the Ultimate universe is lucky to have the Reed Richards it does.

Also that new Avengers book looks cool.

Ultimate Reed's computer said that the number of alternate universe's went from hundred of thousands to a handful...have we seen or has it been alluded to as to what specific event caused a drastic reduction?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ultimate Reed's computer said that the number of alternate universe's went from hundred of thousands to a handful...have we seen or has it been alluded to as to what specific event caused a drastic reduction?

No, that's part of what they're trying to find out. And Reed's machine tells us it happened basically overnight.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Regular Reed told us this too in the issue beforehand. We don't know what happened yet to accelerate the reduction. I maintain that we'll find out more when we go back to check in on Thor and Hyperion's team...someday.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 6, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
All the universes made it through group stages, but there wasn't enough time to keep doing single elimination so they just kept the 2^x with the highest matchmaking ratings.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it was probably hank pyms fault. that guy fucks up everything

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I do like the idea of Hyperion and Thor punching someone so hard they collpased the majority of the multi-verse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

That has a bunch of alternate universe characters in it, like powered Jubilee, Spider-Gwen, and Phoenix. I wouldn't read that much into it.

Rogue's also in her 90's Jim Lee outfit. (AKA the best one.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I do like the idea of Hyperion and Thor punching someone so hard they collpased the majority of the multi-verse.

Jesus. Maybe fallout from the Rabum Alal battle. Would be cool.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'm liking that A-Force cover. I wouldn't read too much into its roster as the whole point of SW is to have all these unlikely teamups.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Awesome idea. As everything is asynchronous, they might have already hosed Rabum Alal up for being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the multiverse.

By that logic, Ultimate Reed should be next in line.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Then everyone can turn on Sunspot as he caused it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I also suspect that we'll find out what caused the collapse acceleration when we get back to Suicide Squad: Cosmic. A confrontation between Thor's crew and the big bad could have resulted in escalation from the villain (or Valeria, or Reed with a goatee, whatever).

• Locked thread