Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Man, if the Old Testament is not considered valid, we should really get an editor to hit that book.

Jesus was born centuries after the Old Testament was written so when we're discussing the moral lessons that Jesus taught then no, I'd say that the Old Testament probably isn't going to contain any useful Jesus quotes about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

And that is all I was saying. Seriously.

you said it terribly, congrats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

It is extremely obvious that he is a historical materialist which is like... really not a productive method.

From the guy who cannot take responsibility for the idea that his religion has done harm as well as good.

VitalSigns posted:

Jesus was born centuries after the Old Testament was written so when we're discussing the moral lessons that Jesus taught then no, I'd say that the Old Testament probably isn't going to contain any useful Jesus quotes about anything.

The Old Testament falls within the realm of the Christians, even if Christ wasn't in there.

Miltank posted:

you said it terribly, congrats.

The difference between you and me: I can accept that atheists do bad things, like Pol Pot and Stalin. You cannot even come to terms with the idea that your own faith has ALSO been used to do and justify bad things. Well done.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Well obviously lots of Christians managed it throughout history, and instead used Jesus to justify slavery instead. Too bad the son of God didn't manage to mention "Slavery is bad" anywhere. Real oversight on his part, to be sure.

Pretty sure Jesus was just some guy who, no matter how wise his sayings were, couldn't actually know the future and see how Jefferson Davis was going to rationalize away his teachings.

Also once again, Jesus was completely explicitly anti-violence and that didn't stop Christians from managing to use Jesus to justify war, so what exactly do you propose the man could have said to make the Romans all give up their slaves? poo poo, real Catholics didn't give up their slaves even when the pope said slaver-owners are in league with satan, because turns out people like money.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The Old Testament falls within the realm of the Christians, even if Christ wasn't in there.

If you're going to take quotes from the Old Testament to prove that Christianity is evil, you would earn more as a fox news anchor pulling random Koran quotes to justify condemning Muslims.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

CommieGIR posted:

Fair enough, you're right! But considering Western thought has been far more influenced by political aspirations dressed in the clothes of religion, shouldn't we actually focus on the direct impact of the individuals that utilized his teachings and not Jesus and his 2000+ year political agenda?

Christianity was used to justify the Crusades, which was literally only for the purpose of material gain. Lot of religions have been used to do that.

So Jesus does matter to the modern day through his direct and indirect influence on Western thought and history.

Thread solved. Please close.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

From the guy who cannot take responsibility for the idea that his religion has done harm as well as good.

The difference between you and me: I can accept that atheists do bad things, like Pol Pot and Stalin. You cannot even come to terms with the idea that your own faith has ALSO been used to do and justify bad things. Well done.

Christians diddo many terrible things. I reserve the right to call a Christian's faith lukewarm, but that doesn't mean they aren't "christian" in the descriptive sense.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

If you're going to take quotes from the Old Testament to prove that Christianity is evil, you would earn more as a fox news anchor pulling random Koran quotes to justify condemning Muslims.

The Old Testament isn't "supposed" to matter for Christians, but that doesn't stop them from using it whenever it's convenient to justify their bigotry. In theory it's not supposed to matter; in practice it actually does.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

So Jesus does matter to the modern day through his direct and indirect influence on Western thought and history.

I don't think anyone was arguing that religion does not influence peoples decisions.

The argument is whether it can be used to justify bad moral decisions as well as good ones.

Miltank posted:

Christians diddo many terrible things. I reserve the right to call a Christian's faith lukewarm, but that doesn't mean they aren't "christian" in the descriptive sense.

And that was all I was arguing. That's it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Fair enough, you're right! But considering Western thought has been far more influenced by political aspirations dressed in the clothes of religion, shouldn't we actually focus on the direct impact of the individuals that utilized his teachings and not Jesus and his 2000+ year political agenda?

Christianity was used to justify the Crusades, which was literally only for the purpose of material gain. Lot of religions have been used to do that.

Yeah you're a dumb rear end.
https://books.google.com/books?id=l...d=0CCUQ6AEwATgK
The people who ordered the crusades actually really did think that they were fulfilling some of the book of revelation.

Also the people who were abolitionists had material reasons to be against slavery right? They had material reason to risk life and limb bringing men to freedom?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

Oh come on, just earlier you were saying that slavers did not count as Christian, because slavery is un-Christian, despite it being explicitly endorsed by scripture.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

CommieGIR posted:

You are so bad at your own ideology that you may as well join the other side to inflict maximum damage.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think anyone was arguing that religion does not influence peoples decisions.

CommieGIR posted:

The difference between having an impact on world history and

Is that plenty of history did not involve him at all. Just because someone used their religion as a rallying cry or a call to arms does not make Jesus the motivator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Also the people who were abolitionists had material reasons to be against slavery right? They had material reason to risk life and limb bringing men to freedom?

You are Miltank are the ones arguing I'm a materialist, I am not arguing from that standpoint.

The question is whether abolitionists where morally outraged with slavery sans Christianity or not. The argument made by Miltank was that you HAVE to be Christian to be an abolitionist.

Apparently Atheists, Deists, and others cannot be morally outraged with slavery.

Disinterested posted:

You are so bad at your own ideology that you may as well join the other side to inflict maximum damage.

How so? Accepting that there are bad atheists is just as important as accepting that Christians, Muslims, and Buddhists do evil things, despite the overwhelming promoting of peace and love among most of their followers.

Nope, I stand by it. Jesus was thrown around a lot, but most motivations of Western though were personal or political. Jesus was just a convenient name drop that everyone would listen to.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 6, 2015

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The argument is whether it can be used to justify bad moral decisions as well as good ones.

ikanreed posted:

The core thesis I'm making is that the solid majority of moral imperatives set down in the bible are either meaningless in the modern era, or now viewed as actively immoral.

Jesus' words don't really matter to the modern world, and have to be stretched extraordinarily to fit much of anything.

The argument is that the words and teaching of Jesus do not matter in the modern world. This is demonstrably false, due the historic impact his existence and words have had.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Starving Autist posted:

The Old Testament isn't "supposed" to matter for Christians, but that doesn't stop them from using it whenever it's convenient to justify their bigotry. In theory it's not supposed to matter; in practice it actually does.

Yeah, then we should probably argue that Christians who do that are misinterpreting their faith rather than agreeing with Fred Phelps and trying to convince Christians that he's right and their faith calls them to be bigots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

The argument is that the words and teaching of Jesus do not matter in the modern world. This is demonstrably false, due the historic impact his existence and words have had.

I accept that premise, yes. But my argument was that most of the historical impact that was created by his words and teachings can be traced to the efforts and political ideology of those that wielded it, not Jesus himself.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, then we should probably argue that Christians who do that are misinterpreting their faith rather than agreeing with Fred Phelps and trying to convince Christians that he's right and their faith calls them to be bigots.

How so? If it all comes down to interpretation, in the end, who is really right and who is really wrong? Its not like we can call up Jesus and ask. Fred Phelps may feel that his interpretation of his faith is correct above all, no matter how many who share it might be disgusted by it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Starving Autist posted:

Oh come on, just earlier you were saying that slavers did not count as Christian, because slavery is un-Christian, despite it being explicitly endorsed by scripture.

I was ironically countering another poster's claim that DPRK wasn't atheist. Maybe try reading posts before posting posts? Just a little tip I picked up over my years of posting.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

You are Miltank are the ones arguing I'm a materialist, I am not arguing from that standpoint.

The question is whether abolitionists where morally outraged with slavery sans Christianity or not. The argument made by Miltank was that you HAVE to be Christian to be an abolitionist.

Apparently Atheists, Deists, and others cannot be morally outraged with slavery.
Nope, but they certainly were not the base of the abolitionist movement, or even a significant minority. Also if you are going to argue the Crusades were soley driven by materialism you ignore that many of the Nobles truly felt they were on a mission from God, and were driven by Milleniumism.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I can almost see the goalposts... moving!

The thread is over. The question behind the premise of the thread answered. I'm out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I accept that premise, yes. But my argument was that most of the historical impact that was created by his words and teachings can be traced to the efforts and political ideology of those that wielded it, not Jesus himself.

Isn't this going to be true for any philosophy? It's not like Confucius lived for 8,000 years and become the Emperor of China and the ruler of all Buddhist states and personally did every important thing that his philosophy influenced.

If that's your standard for historical impact then what would actually qualify?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Nope, but they certainly were not the base of the abolitionist movement, or even a significant minority.

The question remains: Was it their moral outrage at the inhumanity of slavery, or their religion that made them justify abolition?

Sinnlos posted:

Optical illusions notwithstanding, it is not moving goal posts to accept a portion of the argument while reject other portions.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SedanChair posted:

I don't think being anti-gay or anti-abortion ought to be "extraordinarily" Christian positions, after all there's a lot about those patriarchal, controlling ideas in the Old Testament and the bullshit Paul was making up as he went, but really none in the sayings of this esoteric Master we see quoted occasionally.

In any case, sure, pragmatism is a guide for creating and executing policies; but without the code of ethics provided largely by the words of Jesus, Western civilization would have no framework. Before Jesus, it was a strange idea that people should pay attention to sick people, or poor people, or prisoners or outsiders of any kind, really. We just took it for granted that you butchered those people outside the city gates as you deemed it necessary, and looked after your own family and your own state. But because of the cultural virus of the words of Jesus, we now have a framework of human rights. Liberals in power may only allude to these rights insincerely, or intending that they be applied unequally in practice, but nonetheless they do say the words. In fact most of us as citizens, if we fall for war fever, do so for humanitarian reasons that have been fabricated for us to believe in.

One could even argue that in the United States, all political arguments based in ethics pit two religious worldviews against each other: the first, a Christian worldview that seeks to help others and live a life in balance and free of ostentation, and the second a brutal neo-Roman state paganism where manifestations of strength and power are worshiped as gods, and the weak are to be deplored and further exploited. Very often, self-identifying "Christians" fall into the latter category.

A good post.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sinnlos posted:

Your posts were the definition of goalpost moving, so I'm not surprised.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't this going to be true for any philosophy? It's not like Confucius lived for 8,000 years and become the Emperor of China and the ruler of all Buddhist states and personally did every important thing that his philosophy influenced.

If that's your standard for historical impact then what would actually qualify?

We attribute the historical impact of uniting China to an actual person, not his religion. Just like nobody cared that Julius Caesar was a pagan, his political aspiration is what everyone actually wants to know.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

You argued that abolitionists used Christianity as a means to an end which is a standard materialist reading of history. Your line of thought about historical abolitionism without Christianity also led me to believe this because it was very materialistic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

joat mon posted:

A good post.

More like a moronic post. Anyone trying to separate Christianity from "The Cruel Romans" is living in a fairy tale. Christianity is essentially the Romanization of some fairly brutal varieties of tribal monotheism. It was a populist, suburban religion that was intentionally civilized and adopted by the Roman state. Oh and his idea that everyone was a bloodthirsty barbarian that only knew how to slaughter their neighbors before Jesus taught them how to be moral is huuuuuugely bigoted.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

You argued that abolitionists used Christianity as a means to an end which is a standard materialist reading of history. Your line of thought about historical abolitionism without Christianity also led me to believe this because it was very materialistic.

Your argument being that you have to be Christian to be an abolitionist. Which is demonstrably false. It still took legal viewpoints to completely dismantle slavery, and there is too many Christians on both sides of the pro/con field of slavery to say that your religion was the sole reponsible motivator.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe he thought that "what you do to the least among you, you're doing to god" was explicit enough since obviously no one is going to say it'd be cool to whip god in the gold mines.

Your argument seems to assume that Jesus actually was supernatural and that he knew the future and how Southern gentlemen would twist his words 1800 years later and therefore should have known to be more explicit, which is a weird thing to do. You're adding in all kinds of assumptions to avoid taking his words at face value.

There's really no way to reconcile slavery with Jesus' teachings of charity and humanity and turning the other cheek and treating everyone like your family or like God. Obviously people are going to try because slavery is profitable, but those people are demonstrably wrong.

Sure there is, by not considering slaves to be real people to whom those teachings don't apply or by not seeing slavery as inherently wrong or immoral. Which is exactly what many Christians thought for a very long time, and while you and I understand this makes those people immoral assholes who have a warped interpretation of scripture, it doesn't make them not Christian. And I'm not saying Jesus should have seen American slavery coming and spoken out against it, I'm saying he more than likely had views more in line with the culture he grew up in, that slavery wasn't inherently wrong, and not our modern ones which is why he didn't explicitly speak out against slavery but did speak out against needless cruelty. We have progressed since his time and so we can apply his ideals in better ways than even he probably imagined and this included abolishing slavery.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kaal posted:

More like a moronic post. Anyone trying to separate Christianity from "The Cruel Romans" is living in a fairy tale. Christianity is essentially the Romanization of some fairly brutal varieties of tribal monotheism. It was a populist, suburban religion that was intentionally civilized and adopted by the Roman state.

More like took over the Roman State. Also anyone with a basic knowledge of Christianity would know most of the dotrines covered in the New Testament were there by the early 2nd century. But then I am not a primitive materialist.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

CommieGIR posted:

Your argument being that you have to be Christian to be an abolitionist. Which is demonstrably false. It still took legal viewpoints to completely dismantle slavery, and there is too many Christians on both sides of the pro/con field of slavery to say that your religion was the sole reponsible motivator.
This is a bit disingenuous. Religion was one of the few factors that made people act against their economic interest to get rid of slavery. Clearly for many businessmen like the Tappan brothers, who ran the nations first credit firm, keeping closer ties to the south would have made sense but their faith lead them to be abolitionists instead.

Christianity does seem to have the virtue that it occasionally makes people act in ways that conflict with their self interest in favor of loving their neighbor.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

More like took over the Roman State.

Lol yeah sure, Constantine, the famous Roman emperor who engineered all sorts of alterations to Christian beliefs and then adopted it as a state religion, had nothing to do it. It was all Jesus.

These threads mostly just remind me of how little Christians need to know about their own religion to consider themselves "Christian". At least the liturgical Christianity thread had mostly informed opinions. This is just a parade of bad D&D posters going :bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd:

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 6, 2015

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Starving Autist posted:

As a former Christian and current Atheist, I do take issue with this line of thinking in terms of whether the Old Testament matters or not.

Jesus (if he existed) was a Jewish Rabbi for whom the Law was paramount. Some Christians (primarily based on the Gospel of John) believe that Jesus' intent was to fulfill and abolish the Law, but in context Jesus stated that not one iota of the Law would end until all had been fulfilled. Part of this fulfillment is the "second coming" in which he was expected to return (within the lifetimes of those still living at the time) to cleanse the world. Of course, that was 2,000+/- years ago and I sincerely doubt that anyone is still alive and thus this was a failed prophecy unless you apply some apologetics.

The idea that the Old Testament "doesn't matter" is a fairly modern interpretation which I believe is primarily based on the fact that the Old Testament is just so goddamned weird and indefensible with all the slavery, genocide, penises, and incest. If the Old Testament "doesn't matter" then neither do the ten commandments, or any of the other moral pronouncements made within.

In addition, you can't have justification for the New Testament without the alleged foretelling contained within the Old.

Just my two cents. I think the idea that the Old Testament shouldn't matter is wrong theologically speaking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Sure there is, by not considering slaves to be real people to whom those teachings don't apply or by not seeing slavery as inherently wrong or immoral. Which is exactly what many Christians thought for a very long time, and while you and I understand this makes those people immoral assholes who have a warped interpretation of scripture, it doesn't make them not Christian.

Well of course Christians can do things that go against what Jesus taught without becoming "not Christian". Christianity was also used to justify the Iraq War, that doesn't make Jesus pro-war the way that some people here are saying the "warped interpretation" of slave owners means Jesus had to have been pro-slavery.

Who What Now posted:

And I'm not saying Jesus should have seen American slavery coming and spoken out against it, I'm saying he more than likely had views more in line with the culture he grew up in, that slavery wasn't inherently wrong, and not our modern ones which is why he didn't explicitly speak out against slavery but did speak out against needless cruelty.
Hard to say. He certainly had a lot of views that were not in line with the culture he grew up in.

Who What Now posted:

We have progressed since his time and so we can apply his ideals in better ways than even he probably imagined and this included abolishing slavery.

Yeah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LLJKSiLk posted:

The idea that the Old Testament "doesn't matter" is a fairly modern interpretation which I believe is primarily based on the fact that the Old Testament is just so goddamned weird and indefensible with all the slavery, genocide, penises, and incest. If the Old Testament "doesn't matter" then neither do the ten commandments, or any of the other moral pronouncements made within.

In addition, you can't have justification for the New Testament without the alleged foretelling contained within the Old.

Just my two cents. I think the idea that the Old Testament shouldn't matter is wrong theologically speaking.

That's pretty obviously not a modern interpretation since like half of the New Testament after the Gospels was people arguing whether gentiles needed to follow the law in the old testament and hack their penises and give up bacon or not.

Spoiler alert: the answer the the church settled on for "do you have to follow Leviticus" was "no, and also gently caress no"

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

That's pretty obviously not a modern interpretation since like half of the New Testament after the Gospels was people arguing whether gentiles needed to follow the law in the old testament and hack their penises and give up bacon or not.

Spoiler alert: the answer the the church settled on for "do you have to follow Leviticus" was "no, and also gently caress no"

Paul's shaping of Christianity for the gentiles (seeing as the Jews weren't going to bite on the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew) was expedient and instrumental in the growth of Christianity as a state religion in Rome. But as you note, the Gospels and alleged works/acts of Jesus Christ would stand in contrast.

During the dark ages many of the horrible things which occurred as a result of Christianity were defended on the basis of the Old Testament. It was definitely a big part of Christianity until fairly recently.

If you go based on the Gospels, the Old Testament is important. If you go based on the Pauline writings, then arguably it doesn't matter.

I can go with that reasoning.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

I was arguing in an underhanded way by using 'abolitionist' in its academic meaning ie the American Abolitionist Movement which was specifically Christian. I have no doubt that there were atheist who were anti-slavery, but the First Republic is about as bad of an example of this as exists, not the least because they allowed slavery to continue in San Domingo.

Unseen
Dec 23, 2006
I'll drive the tanker

Kaal posted:

...Christianity is essentially the Romanization of some fairly brutal varieties of tribal monotheism...

Could you be more specific? Which varieties of monotheism ?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Either way, it's not really a modern interpretation. That argument has been going back to the first century.

And while it's true that Jesus said people should follow the law, he also had a very strong message of "don't be stupid about it and definitely don't be lovely to each other over it".

Mark 3:1-5 posted:

Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”

Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent.

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.

Pretty much every time this comes up, he's like "the Law is about honoring God, killing people over it doesn't honor God".

John 8:2-11 posted:

At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap,in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,”Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Christians who say that the Old Testament Law gives them the right to boss people around and punish sex-havers are the kind of people Jesus was condemning here. He consistently holds that following the law is a matter between an individual and God, and he denounced those shaming others with legalism as hard-hearted hypocrites.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

I was arguing in an underhanded way by using 'abolitionist' in its academic meaning ie the American Abolitionist Movement which was specifically Christian. I have no doubt that there were atheist who were anti-slavery, but the First Republic is about as bad of an example of this as exists, not the least because they allowed slavery to continue in San Domingo.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

• Locked thread