Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen the complaints about Fire Emblem Awakening. I can guess.

Cripes, the whining over Henry alone...

I think that my favourite one from this was some guy complaining his waifu wasn't shy and retiring enough in the English version, because a girl having more personality than that is clearly destroying the integrity of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I think the technical issues are mostly taken care of! It'll take a while to get used to 384x256 resolution, but I'm sure it'll be fine. But man, there's one thing I'll never get used to...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
IT'S NOT

CREEPY

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

IT'S NOT

CREEPY

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Could be worse. Could have been Stranger Danger.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Tsukushi, no! I thought we were rid of you! Kimiko is gone! Why are you still here?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I think it's actually worse this time around :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen the complaints about Fire Emblem Awakening. I can guess.

Cripes, the whining over Henry alone...

I'm 90% sure a lot of people whined about Gregor too even though he had the best localization work done to him.

It's kinda funny how people complain over the issue happening in reverse, where a beloved localization is redone for accuracy and consistency (the SNES Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, etc.) and then people miss the little things that made the original localizations great. There is literally no way to make people happy with translating.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm so drat tempted to name her a "kira kira name"

Does this phenomenon explain the unusual reading in the name Yagami Light, and was it a deliberate joke to give him a kira-kira name?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

I think it's actually worse this time around :negative:

I think there's supposed to be a romantic ending for him, too. :negative:

And he's STILL not even the character in TMGS2 that I hate so much, I would play Stranger Danger's route before his.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

IT IS STILL SUPER CREEPY
At least he ain't related to Goonko 2. Don't know if that makes it better or worst.

As for Goonko2's surname, maybe 人魚ん (ningyo-n) mermaid+n?

Chromius fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 4, 2015

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Was a bit distracted by Dota, but the stream's goin' live with some more exploratory TMGS2.

I think I've settled on Goonko 2's name, and I'm gonna give up on the Goon for this time around. Instead, she will be 不動女恋 - Fudo Siren.

New post will be up tonight!

http://twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Stream done. Working on the posts now!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 6, 2015

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 - Rubbing boys the wrong way

2nd season? That's an interesting name for a sequel.

Technically, it's the name for the Nintendo DS remake! Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Kiss originally came out on PS2 in 2006, 4 years after Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side. It was the last time a Tokimeki Memorial game was ever released a home console -- after 2nd Kiss, you have 2nd Season (2008, DS), Tokimemo 4 (2009, PSP), and and Girl's Side 3rd Story (2010, DS and 2012, PSP).

Why did they stop making Tokimemo for consoles?

A couple of factors come into play here.

First, making games for the Nintendo DS was just plain good business. While the PS2 was hugely successful, 2006 was when Sony planned to phase out the console -- the PS3 launched in November of that year. Meanwhile, the DS was ludicrously, filthily profitable. Almost everyone in Japan owned a DS for Pokemon and Brain Age and any number of other popular games, and it was pretty common to own two so you could trade Pokemon/fruit/whatever with yourself. The vaunted Castlevania series was notably absent from consoles during this period as well, with a 5-year gap in console releases between Curse of Darkness (2005, PS2) and Lords of Shadow (2010, PS3/Xbox 360). We're just going to ignore Castlevania: Judgment and pretend it never happened, thank you very much.

Second, Konami wasn't exactly in a hurry to pour money into a console version of Tokimemo on unfamiliar hardware a second time. Girl's Side sold well enough on PS2, but Tokimemo was clearly not a hit franchise anymore. Handheld development meant smaller dev teams, smaller budgets, and less risks.

What changed between GS and GS2?

Not a lot. Much like Tokimemo 2, they took their existing formula and refined it, concentrating more on making a likeable cast of characters than on improving the game system.

Most obviously, GS2 changes the fairy tale from a princess story to a mermaid story, and changes the setting very slightly. While the game still takes place in Habataki City, the characters attend Hanegasaki Academy instead of Habataki Academy. This lets them reuse several backgrounds and environments from the previous game while still being able to create an entirely different (and far less creepy!) cast.

Okay, then what did they change in the DS remake?

Due to space limitations, the EVS system is significantly slimmed down. Instead of going syllable by syllable like in previous games, 2nd Season has a limited set of pre-recorded names. If you choose a name outside of that list, things break down quickly. The game will pull out syllables from the name and say "choose one of these to be what all of the characters say" - for example, Fudou gets cut into either Fuu or Dou, so on stream you'll hear a lot of "Fu" when the characters talk.

Oh, and then there's the "Skinship" system. You'll, uh, you'll have to see it to understand it.

That sounds ominous.

I can show you fear in a hand full of DS.

Uh. That was creepy. Can we forget that we ever asked that question?

Okay! Would you like to meet the cast instead?

Is it actually better than the cast of Girl's Side?

Yep. Let's go.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Meet the cast, part 1: The girls!

Just like in the first Girl's Side, there are four girls who fit into the role of Default Best Friend. The system is almost entirely unchanged from the previous game, so I'll just get straight to the descriptions of the girls.

Room 1: Onoda Chiyomi

Profile:

Voiced by: Kozakura Etsuko (Jibanyan in Youkai Watch, Pocchama in Pokemon, Tamama in Sgt. Frog)
Associated stat: Academics
Notes - "She's as short as I am.
When she talks fast, she's really funny.
She's a very serious girl.
She got really mad at me when she caught me buying candy and eating it on my way home."

What her stationery looks like:

What it looks like when you fail at hanging out with her:

Room 2: Mizushima Hisoka

Profile:

Voiced by: Minaguchi Yuko (Sailor Saturn in Sailor Moon, Anegasaki Nene in Love Plus)
Associated stat: Looks
Notes - "A very mature lady.
The target of many men's--and women's--affections.
What a pretty girl. She's apparently good at cooking and sewing too.
They call her #1 in the Girl I Want To Marry rankings!"

Room 3: Nishimoto Haruhi

Profile:

Voiced by: Maeda Ai (Emiryun in Sentimental Graffiti, Shion in Xenosaga)
Associated stat: Fashion
Notes - "A cheerful girl from Osaka who moved to Habataki in middle school.
She talks a mile a minute in Kansai-ben.
It's really fun, like we're in a comedy show!"

Room 4: Todo Tatsuko

Profile:

Voiced by: Shindo Naomi (Cagalli in Gundam SEED, Irene in Valkyria Chronicles)
Associated stat: Sports
Notes - "A super strong-looking girl.
She has a really sharp tongue.
She's really tall and very cool.
A lot of people go to her for advice."

So, why did I go into so much detail when I said I was going to skim over the character profiles? Because we have to choose one of these four girls during character creation, and the run can't start until we vote on one of them! So without further ado, the first poll of the run:

Who should our best friend be?

Voting closes on midnight PST on Sunday the 8th.

Next time: Meeting the boys.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Why do most of them look 30ish? It's like an American live action show about high schoolers.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I didn't get very far on my game but from the little I've seen I can't wait to see how this goes :allears:

CHiRAL fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 6, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I think I've settled on Goonko 2's name, and I'm gonna give up on the Goon for this time around. Instead, she will be 不動女恋 - Fudo Siren
I call BS. How in the world did you get or "sei" or "sai" or "shi" out of "女"?

TaxEvader
Apr 28, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I call BS. How in the world did you get or "sei" or "sai" or "shi" out of "女"?

It is a kirakira name, so I guess it could be 'She' in English (Japanese pronunciation shi) refers to a woman, which in Japanese is 女. Not sure how you would get Sai.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Our best friend should be Todo, so she can protect us from any potential Stranger Dangers

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

TaxEvader posted:

It is a kirakira name, so I guess it could be 'She' in English (Japanese pronunciation shi) refers to a woman, which in Japanese is 女. Not sure how you would get Sai.

Yeah, technically I should be writing "Shiren". But, you know, mermaids.

Anoia posted:

Why do most of them look 30ish? It's like an American live action show about high schoolers.

Todo looks like Maetel. It's pretty hilarious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who doesn't want Tamama as their best friend?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Who doesn't want Tamama as their best friend?

People who don't want friends who can channel their insane jealousy into deadly energy balls?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, Sheep, what's your preferred method of localizing Kansai-ben?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Haruhi because kansaiben.

You got a wrong image for Haruhi's stationery.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's go with Haruhi because Takarada was one of the best characters in Kill la Kill and I can already tell by her failure screen that Haruhi is all about the dosh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oihEbeKmw

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 6, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I like the direction ATLUS took to localizing Kansai-Ben in P4 Arena, by giving Labrys a Brooklyn accent. To my knowledge it's closer in terms of cultural connotations than the usual choice of a Southern accent.

I happened to cast the first vote and it was for Haruhi.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 6, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

vibratingsheep posted:

Room 1: Onoda Chiyomi

Room 3: Nishimoto Haruhi

Looks like a slight goof here, boss.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Haruhi, her failure screen looks hilarious plus Osaka

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Looking again, I don't think that's Haruhi's failure screen from what I can remember, vibratingsheep

ed: nevermind, I was wrong! I didn't see fallen over Haruhi beside you there

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Octolady posted:

Looking again, I don't think that's Haruhi's failure screen from what I can remember, vibratingsheep

ed: nevermind, I was wrong! I didn't see fallen over Haruhi beside you there

Yeah, she's got the Looney Tunes death pose going on, legs sticking straight up and everything. Unfortunately, she falls out of the frame while doing it.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
If there a option of having a friend from Osaka you should always take it so am voting for Haruhi.

Tarezax posted:

I like the direction ATLUS took to localizing Kansai-Ben in P4 Arena, by giving Labrys a Brooklyn accent. To my knowledge it's closer in terms of cultural connotations than the usual choice of a Southern accent.

I always took that if someone was from Osaka or a city in the region you would go for the brooklyn accent and for those outside of it or the countyside area you go with the southern accent.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

That's not enough hair and not willowy enough for any Matsumoto gal.

Anyway, we were a jock last time, so let's be a nerd this time and go with Chiyomi.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's go with Haruhi because Takarada was one of the best characters in Kill la Kill and I can already tell by her failure screen that Haruhi is all about the dosh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oihEbeKmw
That song fits so perfectly with the character.

And now I've got a mental image of a dating sim based on Watamote. :smith:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Poil posted:

And now I've got a mental image of a dating sim based on Watamote. :smith:

I do too, and it looks eerily like a genderswapped version of Chaos;Head. :v:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I like Haruhi's failure scene because it looks like you bored her to death talking about the stagnation of the Japanese economy.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

MarsDragon posted:

Anyway, we were a jock last time, so let's be a nerd this time and go with Chiyomi.

Voting for Chiyomi for this reason.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TaxEvader posted:

vibratingsheep posted:

Yeah, technically I should be writing "Shiren". But, you know, mermaids.
You can do better than a third-rate pun like that! If you really want the Latin-like "shiren" instead of the English or Greek, and you don't want to use a standard reading, at least commit and go with "海恋". :colbert:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

You can do better than a third-rate pun like that! If you really want the Latin-like "shiren" instead of the English or Greek, and you don't want to use a standard reading, at least commit and go with "海恋". :colbert:

I have been shamed. Your awful-style pun-fu is superior.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
I'm going to toss my vote in for Chiyomi as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Mizushima Hisoka

How can anyone skip the chance for an afro?

• Locked thread