Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

Well you need explosive shots as well. So ipecac or a fetus item. With sharp plug, plug yourself to get a reroll and then heal yourself with your shots.

Does habit work if you shoot yourself with ipecac/pyro combinations? I've never had it to test.

No, the Habit only triggers if you take damage. It doesn't trigger if you soak a hit with the Holy Mantle, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Florian has announced Isaac DLC... for the original game! I'm not sure I can go back to vanilla's graphics and controls after playing Rebirth for hundreds of hours, but it'll be interesting to try. My favorite part is his explanation for how he could do this, after two years of saying how updating the game was impossible: he got a better PC.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apparently that guy did the programming but none of the actual game design because all the changes in those videos he's posted look incredibly unfun

I uninstalled vanilla when rebirth came out and I'm definitely not reinstalling for that poo poo

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

BJPaskoff posted:

Florian has announced Isaac DLC... for the original game! I'm not sure I can go back to vanilla's graphics and controls after playing Rebirth for hundreds of hours, but it'll be interesting to try. My favorite part is his explanation for how he could do this, after two years of saying how updating the game was impossible: he got a better PC.

I need a smilie that's somehow a combination of :allears: and :psyduck:. Oh well, I'll sure play it when it's out.

If Florian were the type to listen to that sort of question I don't think we'd have Isaac in the first place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Florian isn't part of the Rebirth team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Florian isn't part of the Rebirth team.

Ohhhhh ok

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So apparently cursed eye + the inner eye + rubber cement is a godlike combo. Absolutely wrecked anything that came my way. Was this close to beating boss rush with samson but I got hit by the Fallen's brimstone on the last phase and got teleported out. Oh well, got dead boy!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Florian says in the comments that Edmund thinks it's fine that he does this... and he's hinting that the Rebirth team might have an eye on him for good ideas, like using WotL as a launch platform to get Florian's ideas into Rebirth.

Commenters are also saying they miss the old art style and bright colours.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

There should be champion versions of dingle and the haunt and all the other new bosses on floors 1-6 anyway.

The old art style is so much worse than the new one and the old music so much worse than the new music though.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

Ferroque posted:

the old music so much worse than the new music though.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The old music is more poorly mixed, mastered, and has zero real instruments. The new music is well mixed, is super catchy, and was made by a previous member of Truly Great Band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. People who love the old music are just attached to it because they listened to it for hundreds of hours and hate change.

Oh and the new track layering effects are really cool.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Got to Platinum God by getting 2 items to drop in a secret room and d6'ing them until MissingNo showed up. Only just got it though, as this was on the Chest. Only saw 1 devil room and no angel rooms the whole game so I couldn't farm for Godhead, even though I had infinite d6 by the first few floors.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ferroque posted:

The old music is more poorly mixed, mastered, and has zero real instruments. The new music is well mixed, is super catchy, and was made by a previous member of Truly Great Band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. People who love the old music are just attached to it because they listened to it for hundreds of hours and hate change.

I don't think the new soundtrack has real instruments on it either. It also feels like it was produced with the knowledge that people would be spending a lot of time listening to it. So they purposely made it inoffensive drivel with very little in the way of melodic hooks. It all sounds like the opening credits to a Batman movie. The original music had much more character, and I often found myself humming along with it. The new music sounds like they tried too hard to make the music feel spooky or some poo poo. So it's using all the right instruments/tonal qualities and it's well-made, but it's devoid of anything interesting musically.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ferroque posted:

I find the new music to be boring honestly. Track layering would be cooler if it stayed around longer but as it is you hear it for maybe 10 seconds before you clear the room most of the time.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

They seriously missed a trick when they didn't use the original intro music. It's haunting and melancholy as balls, sets the vibe for the game perfectly. I'm actually kind of mad they replaced it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mnDcZu0I0

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ferroque posted:

and has zero real instruments

You fail to understand what music is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like both sets of music and would enjoy a mod that puts both soundtracks together. I feel that the really good tracks of the new OST are all in the super late game areas, though, which means it doesn't set as immediate of a good impression that the old OST did.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah the new music might be better produced in technical terms but musically I much prefer the old music. familiarity has nothing to do with it, at this point I have many more hours in Rebirth than I do the WOTL but it's still the old music that I find myself humming.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

flatluigi posted:

I like both sets of music and would enjoy a mod that puts both soundtracks together. I feel that the really good tracks of the new OST are all in the super late game areas, though, which means it doesn't set as immediate of a good impression that the old OST did.

I kinda felt that way with the original tracks too, though that might have been I never heard the late game tracks as much and as such i didn't get completely and utterly sick of it like i did for the basement/cellar themes in vanilla boi. Man that basement theme got extremely grating after dozens of hours. It got stuck in my head but not in a good way at all.

Still, I do miss the title theme and 'jesus loves you' from the original game a bunch.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
You guys seriously need to stop arguing which music is better. It won't get you anywhere.

Rerail: Ludovice + Double Shot + Cricket's Body + Who knows what else loving rocks.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah for real. I actually tried playing original Isaac recently, and after doing so there's no way I'm going to buy that dlc. I don't care what he adds. The original game, music aside, is so bad compared to the new one and it's not just what they've added but also the mechanical changes. Remember when touching a pill would make you come to a complete stop for a second? Or when secret rooms resealed themselves? And anyone complaining about the color balance in the new one is either blind or stupid. Go back and look at Basement levels and tell me that everything isn't exactly the same shade of brown.

And that's without even taking the low road, which is to say that Florian was responsible for so much of what made WotL stupid anyway. Remember how half the items were mislabeled and just didn't do what they said they did?

But don't take my word for it - go back and play the original and post your favorite reason why you won't ever do that again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't even need to go back and play it to tell you it's Isaac's head in profile.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

YF-23 posted:

I don't even need to go back and play it to tell you it's Isaac's head in profile.

Counterpoint: Tough Love :colbert:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Having optional Superbosses seems like an interesting idea and fits this head's complaints of not having an actual hard mode, imo. Duke of Flies could use a bit of balancing but The Hollow seemed okay enough.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The Bee posted:

Having optional Superbosses seems like an interesting idea and fits this head's complaints of not having an actual hard mode, imo. Duke of Flies could use a bit of balancing but The Hollow seemed okay enough.

Duke of Flies is a dps check, which is a really goddamn silly thing to have in a randomized roguelike.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying this DLC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My work PC can't play the new one, but played the original fine. So I might buy and reinstall it just for those slow work nights.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is this really what Vanilla Isaac looked like? I played a lot of it and never realized how ugly it was.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Who sits down to play BoI and says "you know what would really improve this game? more spiders"

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Is this really what Vanilla Isaac looked like? I played a lot of it and never realized how ugly it was.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Rebirth has completely spoiled me on graphics.

Although I think being super ugly was/is kind of the point of Isaac anyway.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

It's sort of incredible how much this looks like terrible unfun garbage. Think I'm passing too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kurtofan posted:

I used to be very against the sprites. Now I'm seeing the uneven lines, lifeless levels, dissonance between levels and characters, and suddenly realizing what people meant by lovely newgrounds flash game look.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Rebirth has spoiled me. I look back at WotL fondly, but when the framerate plummeted due to there being ten baby spiders on the screen, the reality came flooding back.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

It'll be free, I think. One of his comments on that video says "I am trying to add a mostly more enemy behaviors mostly. will see what else I get the time to add." If it's just harder enemies, then I'm not even going to bother. If he teamed up with the old Community Remix mod guys, or if they just gave him their stuff since they're probably done with vanilla Isaac, and he expanded on that with crazy new items... then I'd give it a shot.

I went back and tried vanilla Isaac the other day. I've had more free time lately, and tried to use some of it to go back and play games I was nostalgic for. 99% of the time, my fond memories of the game don't connect with how dated graphics, UI, and controls feel now. Try going back to Morrowind now that you've had experience with Skyrim, for example. It's hard to believe that I was enjoying vanilla Isaac just four months ago.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
If you guys thought the Duke of Flies was was bad, check The Husk. He's got two sets of eternal flies guarding him!

Also double-jumping double-firing crossshot Widow, gattling gun fat flies, four flies conjoined at once, clots that fire Monstro-style shot patterns, and an absolutely terrible 6-eyed Peep. Some of these are just obscene. Although at least this version of Peep apparently has destroyable eyes.

I can't tell if I want stuff like this incorporated into Isaac's hard mode or not. Some of it seems legitimately like a fun challenge, others just seem brutal for brutal's sake.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Peep with more eyes, but destroyable seems like an interesting idea. But that Peep looked way too tanky.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Having watched the videos, I hope that anyone that watches the videos and still wants to play Florian's expansion has a lot of fun. I don't think Gushers that take like 20 shots to kill are fun, but I could be in the minority here.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's essentially BoI as a romhack - fun and balance doesn't matter, just make it harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Anyone know what the new patch changed?