Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Has anyone compiled a list of what's definitively true out of that scummy wrestling stories list? There's plenty of outlandish things in there I've heard totally confirmed by people who were there or knew the guy. So "wrestling", but close enough.

My favorite is still Arn Anderson passing out in a bar, not spilling his beer all night, getting woken up by a cop and pissing himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Undertaker / HHH at WrestleMania 27 followed by a three-minute Snooki match and Miz / Cena.

DeathChicken posted:

Taker/Punk followed by Triple H/Brock at Mania 29 comes to mind too.

There's also 25 where Taker/HBK, one of the best matches of the decade, was followed by Orton/HHH, a boring match that wouldn't look out of place on Raw.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a retard posted:

There's also 25 where Taker/HBK, one of the best matches of the decade, was followed by Orton/HHH, a boring match that wouldn't look out of place on Raw.

25 was just one of the worst Manias ever.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

One of my favorite examples of the opposite circumstance is Royal Rumble 2003, where Steiner/HHH was followed by Angle/Benoit. I always wonder how the MSG would have reacted had the match order been reversed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

a retard posted:

Orton/HHH also had one of the worst builds, after one of the best starts, ever. Both guys ended up less over than when they started.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

I only got to see Danielson live once (during tie-gate against Shingo in Philly) and he didn't even get to do the entrance, it was probably the most disappointing thing ever. There wasn't even a good excuse for it they just skipped it for no reason :argh:

I saw him do it plenty in Chicago during that era. It was always amazing. Doo doo dooooooo :allears:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Are there any compilations out there of all the insane Vince McMahon stories out there? The poo poo stick, the leaves, all the goofy stuff you hear about. Like a pastebin or something? I'd love to just see that character all in one place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah other than Taker/Shawn that card is up and down awful.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ZDar Fan posted:

One of my favorite examples of the opposite circumstance is Royal Rumble 2003, where Steiner/HHH was followed by Angle/Benoit. I always wonder how the MSG would have reacted had the match order been reversed.

Probably pretty quietly since that show was in Boston.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

Are there any compilations out there of all the insane Vince McMahon stories out there? The poo poo stick, the leaves, all the goofy stuff you hear about. Like a pastebin or something? I'd love to just see that character all in one place.

Somebody should start a "crazy Vince McMahon stories thread full of crazy vince mcmahon stories" thread. hes pretty crazy.

and on the earlier topic of WCW's "dirty tactics" during the monday night wars, I'd say the only real dirty tactic that I can think of is them outright spoiling the results of the taped Raw as the show is starting. That goes beyond the usual making fun of/mocking/running down the other company.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What the gently caress was up with the Boogeyman, like who came up him and who thought he was a good idea

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I can't remember which doc it was that had Vince saying something like "my motto is - help yourself, don't hurt the other guy" in reference to WCW's business. It was AMAZING.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah other than Taker/Shawn that card is up and down awful.

And the MITB match.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Kim Justice posted:

I can't remember which doc it was that had Vince saying something like "my motto is - help yourself, don't hurt the other guy" in reference to WCW's business. It was AMAZING.

Pretty sure that's from the Rise and Fall of ECW, which is well worth watching on the Network if you've never seen it. It's apparent that Vince wasn't threatened by ECW, so they tell the story as it was, and it's amazing.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Smoking Crow posted:

What the gently caress was up with the Boogeyman, like who came up him and who thought he was a good idea

that guy was an amazing charismatic presence and could sell the gently caress out of any character but since he started wrestling when he was 100 years old he couldn't ever crest higher than a jobber to the stars so why not give him a wacky gimmick that he can play to the max? the boogeyman was a good idea. it's me. i think that

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Timby posted:

Up there with 9, 11 and 12?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

ColeM posted:

Up there with 9, 11 and 12?

Not by a long shot. Beyond HBK-UT, 25 has a good MITB, a good Hardy-Hardy match, and a fairly entertaining triple threat world title match. Also, the Jericho-Legends match has a great performance from Ricky Steamboat. Honestly, if the main event wasn't such dogshit, it'd be remembered much better.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Has anyone compiled a list of what's definitively true out of that scummy wrestling stories list?

Don't ruin the magic! It's all true, every bit of it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But that, in turn, ruins the magic of Dynamite Kid really being an even bigger psychopath than Matt Hughes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Don't ruin the magic! It's all true, every bit of it

I always knew every wrestler was both gay and had sex with Missy Hyatt, a donkey, and their tag team partner in that order

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

But that, in turn, ruins the magic of Dynamite Kid really being an even bigger psychopath than Matt Hughes.

Dynamite Kid at least had to know he was totally evil and hosed up, Hughes thinks being a horrifying psychopath is just good old country boy antics

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

triplexpac posted:

I always liked Devitt coming out to "You're the Best". Also obvious, but still funny, is Danielson coming out to Final Countdown.

Funny enough, hearing it played live at two EVOLVE shows after he won were the only exposure I'd had to the song so I mentally associate it with being a badass rather than cheesiness.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Had Pillman not been on drugs and died, what could he have been? WWF Champ? Hall Of Famer?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

magnum_valentino posted:

Had Pillman not been on drugs and died, what could he have been? WWF Champ? Hall Of Famer?

Hall of Famer, probably, but not champ. I think the car accident that had led to his drug abuse severally limited to what he could do in the ring.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was the first guy ever signed to a guaranteed contract in WWE even with the state of his ankle, so yeah, he probably would have been something special.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nerokerubina posted:

that guy was an amazing charismatic presence and could sell the gently caress out of any character but since he started wrestling when he was 100 years old he couldn't ever crest higher than a jobber to the stars so why not give him a wacky gimmick that he can play to the max? the boogeyman was a good idea. it's me. i think that

Didn't those alarm clocks hurt his head

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Hall of Famer, probably, but not champ. I think the car accident that had led to his drug abuse severally limited to what he could do in the ring.

Kerry von Erich had one foot and he went for years, and Pillman was as good on the mic as he was in the ring. As long as he could talk and brawl he'd be fine even if he couldn't be Flyin' Brian anymore.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Kerry von Erich had one foot and he went for years, and Pillman was as good on the mic as he was in the ring. As long as he could talk and brawl he'd be fine even if he couldn't be Flyin' Brian anymore.

I feel like using Kerry von Erich as an example that someone could be "fine" is wrong. But maybe that's just me haha.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I feel like using Kerry von Erich as an example that someone could be "fine" is wrong. But maybe that's just me haha.

His level of "fine" was on par with post-accident Brian Pillman and he was an intercontinental champion!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

His level of "fine" was on par with post-accident Brian Pillman and he was an intercontinental champion!

It's not the workrate I was raising question with, it was him being addicted to painkillers and killing himself. Using him as an example for someone to strive for was funny, that's all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

My favorite is still Arn Anderson passing out in a bar, not spilling his beer all night, getting woken up by a cop and pissing himself.

That could really easily be true.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Didn't those alarm clocks hurt his head

The Boogeyman used to have a big staff that spewed red smoke out of the top. One time he left it turned on next to the ring steps and it left a red stain on them for months afterward.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Not by a long shot. Beyond HBK-UT, 25 has a good MITB, a good Hardy-Hardy match, and a fairly entertaining triple threat world title match. Also, the Jericho-Legends match has a great performance from Ricky Steamboat. Honestly, if the main event wasn't such dogshit, it'd be remembered much better.

That said you're better off just watching HBK-UT then watching Backlash from the next month which for all intents and purposes operates as a do over.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ice To Meet You posted:

The Boogeyman used to have a big staff that spewed red smoke out of the top. One time he left it turned on next to the ring steps and it left a red stain on them for months afterward.

That . . . That couldn't be healthy to breath in.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Looking at Pro Fight DB at Undertaker's star ratings.

-Breaking Point 09 main event, CM Punk submits Undertaker in under 9 minutes. Why/how did this happen - is this the one where he was pinning Punk at the same time or something stupid like that? Who thought it was a good idea for Undertaker to submit in under 10 minutes and why was it so short in the first place?

I also noticed in the fall of 2010 Kane beat Undertaker on three straight PPVs over about a month and a half and none topped **. Glad I wasn't watching then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Looking at Pro Fight DB at Undertaker's star ratings.

-Breaking Point 09 main event, CM Punk submits Undertaker in under 9 minutes. Why/how did this happen - is this the one where he was pinning Punk at the same time or something stupid like that? Who thought it was a good idea for Undertaker to submit in under 10 minutes and why was it so short in the first place?

I also noticed in the fall of 2010 Kane beat Undertaker on three straight PPVs over about a month and a half and none topped **. Glad I wasn't watching then.

They decided to do a Montreal finish and hinted at some involvement between McMahon and Punk. This was promptly dropped after Punk got heat for not dressing like a champion and dropped the belt in the PPV opener the next month.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bigass Moth posted:

Was this the "Persistent Vegetative State" feud?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bigass Moth posted:

Hey pal you put those together you got yourself a 6 star match!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nerokerubina posted:

The Boogeyman loving owned and I was happy to see him in the Rumble, and . He's great at scaring kids (and adults).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

They decided to do a Montreal finish and hinted at some involvement between McMahon and Punk. This was promptly dropped after Punk got heat for not dressing like a champion and dropped the belt in the PPV opener the next month.

At first I couldn't believe that they would actually do this at the time but it came out later that Taker didn't really like Punk at the time and there was of course no shortage of guys backstage trying to make sure Punk failed.