Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

I'd definitely fake a broken ankle, shut it down now, and hope to snooker someone into a 4/40 contract in the offseason

Heat have him on a non-guaranteed deal next year too.

euphronius posted:

Why is attendance at games very relevant?

Also I think the simplest answer is that the Hawks FO is bad at marketing and ticket sales.

The Falcons had all sorts of trouble getting people to an NFL game in years past, and even the Braves have had problems. The trouble isn't so much the Hawks, it's the city. Transient and sprawling populations don't make for a very profitable fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

. Transient and sprawling populations don't make for a very profitable fanbase.

an la basketball team will never work

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ragle posted:

The Hawks home arena has a seating capacity of 18,047

Atlanta Hawks attendance as of Jan 21

16,328 of 18,047 seats being filled per game seems reasonable enough, being short of a sellout on average by only 1719 seats per game isn't a big deal.

It wouldn't be a big deal if it was only this year. But we're talking decades at this point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

an la basketball team will never work

Despite the market, the Clippers only continued to exist on a very favorable stadium deal. NFL couldn't survive there. You need to have either a Iconic franchise or be a baseball team I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The biggest issue with the NFL here was the stadiums (in addition to being in one of the worst parts of the city, the Coliseum is too big and wildely outdated by NFL standards, and LA had no interest in paying to update it). The Clippers are fine too now that they're not The Worst Team in Professional Sports.

I mean obviously the market is way different, so I'm just kinda teasing. But people should chill with that "LA fans suck because they get to games late!" stuff. It's impossible to get to anything on time up there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 6, 2015

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Being fun to watch goes a long way. They've always been kind of boring and a middling team at best. They haven't had a guy you'd drop your plans to go see play since Dominique Wilkins either

Where is Atlanta's arena in relation to the downtown area? Is it easily accessible?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView has gone Hollywood, it's a drat shame

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

The biggest issue with the NFL here was the stadiums (the Coliseum is too big and wildely outdated by NFL standards, and LA had no interest in paying to update it). The Clippers are fine too now that they're not The Worst Team in Professional Sports.

I mean obviously the market is way different, so I'm just kinda teasing. But people should chill with that "LA fans suck because they get to games late!" stuff. It's impossible to get to anything on time up there.

I still think moving the Clippers to Anaheim would be the best long term thing to do for a lot of the reasons I think they should probably move the Hawks, although the Clippers situation in the short term is pretty tough to beat.

And man, I thought it was bad getting to games in Inglewood. Staples is even more difficult. It took me longer to get from LA to . . . LA than it did to get from Ontario to Inglewood.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I still think moving the Clippers to Anaheim would be the best long term thing to do for a lot of the reasons I think they should probably move the Hawks, although the Clippers situation in the short term is pretty tough to beat.

I'd love it but I don't know if it'd take. I don't think Laker fans here would suddenly drop them just because the Clips were in OC. I think they've done an okay job finding their niche as a cheaper/family friendly alternative to going to Laker games and it seems like they should stay put and try to capitalize on the Lakers being down.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What non-NBA cities currently have arenas that could host an NBA team? Kansas City has the Kemper Arena, St. Louis has the Scottrade Center, and Louisville has the KFC Yum! Center. They all seem to be big enough, but I have no idea if they are built with suites in mind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kemper is way outdated. A KC team would play at Sprint, which is a super nice modern arena built specifically with the idea of attracting an NBA and/or NHL team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Phoenix Suns 2

I don't know how the hell my brain forgot that the Suns exist but welp.

vikingstrike posted:

Also, the NBA has the most black fans than any other league: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/which-sports-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/ by a wide margin and the city of Atlanta is a majority black city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Atlanta. And, in case you haven't been there recently, they aren't doing so well and I doubt they have tons of disposable income to make it into downtown Atlanta and pay 30 bucks for a ticket.

This is not exactly an argument in favor of keeping the Hawks around, though. Atlanta has some of the worst poverty in the country, and is the most income inefficient cities in the US. On top fo this, they have massive traffic problems that explicitly discourage people from coming from outlying counties into the city.

This problem was so bad that is was one of the reasons why the Braves decided to move out of Atlanta into a surrounding county, to get more of those people into the stadium. Unfortunately, it's mainly middle class individuals with the spending power to actually attend games, and they mostly live in suburbs. As for if people are actually watching them on TV, the only thing I could find was from 2010, which listed them as #17 in TV ratings. Now this is not bad, but it's certainly not great when ticket sales are so low.

Now, it has to be said that with the way Revenue sharing works, an NBA team can pull a profit almost anywhere as long as the Lakers, Knicks, and other heavy hitters on the league prop them up. but the majority of the other 29 owners are probably hoping that the Hawks get moved to a more lucrative city.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Darn Kevin

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lil B gonna be an All Star if KD ever mans up and plays him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hitze posted:

Darn Kevin

Durant has made the best all-star weekend event suggestion I've heard yet.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Too bad Kobe took being replaced lying down. I would've loved to see Cousins or Lillard vs Wheelchair Kobe

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Sure wish this Jan Vesely showed up when he was in the NBA
https://vine.co/v/OFV5U7QjOTW

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Just go ahead and nuke SEC country and all of these problems would be solved. No Atlanta, Florida, rednecks, or anything else to worry about.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I, too, believe that the region in which most blacks in America live should be nuked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A torn rotator cuff sounds like the sort of injury Kobe would've played through three or four years ago.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Disillusionist posted:

I, too, believe that the region in which most blacks in America live should be nuked.

NBA shouldn't care. They aren't profitable enough to market to, hth.

edit: This is overly angsty. I just get tired of hearing how Atlanta doesn't deserve this or that. It's not a great city, so leave some of the fun stuff please.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 6, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Disillusionist posted:

:siren:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

vikingstrike posted:

Just go ahead and nuke SEC country and all of these problems would be solved. No Atlanta, Florida, rednecks, or anything else to worry about.

Rednecks are everywhere, like roaches.

(I'm a tech savvy redneck)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kevin Durant is all about University of Texas athletes. Unless they say LeBron is their favorite basketball player.
http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/texas-cb-diggs-upset-kevin-durant-unfollowed-on-twitter-072414

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Kibner posted:

Rednecks are everywhere, like roaches.

(I'm a tech savvy redneck)

Please let me live in a bubble so I can pretend it will be better if I ever escape.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

A torn rotator cuff sounds like the sort of injury Kobe would've played through three or four years ago.
Its not really play throughable over a long term period. You literally cant grab contested rebounds or your entire shoulder will disintegrate when there's pressure applied in the wrong direction

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Was my sarcasm not evident enough?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

edit: This is overly angsty. I just get tired of hearing how Atlanta doesn't deserve this or that. It's not a great city, so leave some of the fun stuff please.

No one ever said Atlanta doesn't "deserve" anything, you big weirdo.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Disillusionist posted:

Was my sarcasm not evident enough?

That was my sarcasm detector

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Do the Hawks get enough sponsors? That was the biggest problem with NOLA before the Benson takeover. They had almost no corporate support. That can make up for ticket sales super easily and also extends to the profitability of local network deals.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Zach Lowe has a question about Twitter on the new BS Report. Is this how you act in society?!?!? Cursing, gay slurs, and death threats?! Are you like 15 year olds or something?
:( Leave Zach Lowe alone.
Apparently Heat fans were going to murder him and his whole family. PFZ?!? :argh:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 6, 2015

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
How much of professional basketball not being popular in Atlanta is due to white fans not liking a black sport?

I know that is a broad question and full of stereotypes, but how much is it a factor? Or is it just that things like college and professional football are way more important there?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Been messing around with this site: http://nbasavant.com/

It has, among other things, a great variety of shots to choose from.

For instance, best step back jump shooters in the NBA (unfortunately small sample size):

James Harden: 57/109, 52%
Ty Lawson: 27/53, 50%
Stephen Curry: 25/50, 50%
Wesley Matthews: 22/45, 48%
Damian Lillard: 20/37, 54%

He really started going to the step back a lot last season and it always seemed like a good option to me but I wondered if I was becoming a victim of Confirmation Bias and now I know I'm not. Thank you nbasavant.com.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Its not really play throughable over a long term period. You literally cant grab contested rebounds or your entire shoulder will disintegrate when there's pressure applied in the wrong direction

Ow. Yeah maybe not.

---

Apparently Ish Smith a couple days ago on Twitter suggested he had been traded to the Lakers, but then deleted the tweet and said it was hack. There are about a billion trades he could be involved in to make some numbers work, or maybe it's just the Lakers feel like they need another PG or it could really be a hack. Twitter.

I'm hoping some sort of Perkins salary dump for highest comedy factor.

E: More fuel to this is that Ish Smith can't be traded officially until Midnight tonight, so there could be a deal done in principal that is waiting on that. I guess we'll know soon.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2015

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Does anyone here think an expansion to Canada could work? They have a ton of NHL teams up there, which presumably have decent arenas, Toronto is doing okay, and it could open up a huge new market. I never see anyone discuss Canada when this question comes up, I'm genuinely curious.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is the most important thing I've ever posted:

I had a dream last night, that after meeting a crippled black land speed record rocket mechanic in his qwonset hut shop and then meeting some of my friends, Adam Silver lured and then trapped us in a little cottage in the woods. After a bit, we realized the doors were nailed shut. And inexplicably 3 farm trucks delivered sheep, pigs, and goats in pens connected to the house, and they all tore away rather than stop while we screamed for help. I realized that we were going to be sacrificed and broke through the door, and we ran away.

What does this mean for the trade deadline

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/02/06/defense-variance-luck/

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

wangvicous posted:

Does anyone here think an expansion to Canada could work? They have a ton of NHL teams up there, which presumably have decent arenas, Toronto is doing okay, and it could open up a huge new market. I never see anyone discuss Canada when this question comes up, I'm genuinely curious.

I think it would work in the right situation. There was talk that Vancouver is actually a great city for a team but it just got bungled so hard the first time around that it never really caught on. Still think expansion is dumb, they should just move a team that plays in a city that doesn't care about the NBA (Milwaukee, Atlanta).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

I had a dream last night, that after meeting a crippled black land speed record rocket mechanic in his qwonset hut shop and then meeting some of my friends, Adam Silver lured and then trapped us in a little cottage in the woods. After a bit, we realized the doors were nailed shut. And inexplicably 3 farm trucks delivered sheep, pigs, and goats in pens connected to the house, and they all tore away rather than stop while we screamed for help. I realized that we were going to be sacrificed and broke through the door, and we ran away.

Well the Quonset hut and the rocket mechanic obviously means Houston, with the cripple Dwight Howard.The Cabin in the woods could mean a deal with the Timberwolves (Door nailed shut could mean Mo Williams or Kevin Martin nailing 3s for Houston?).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I also think expansion is unlikely with how big the national TV deal has gotten. There isn't a lot of incentive for owners to carve that money up more unless it is bringing in a bunch more revenue (so maybe if it was Euro expansion).

By the way, was that crazy deal with the old owners of the ABA team ever settled? I think it was one where the Pacers were having to cut checks to them for a chunk of the TV deal every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Morey doing some funny and perhaps ill advised twittering

Igor Strelkov posted:

Sounds like the plot of a Stephen King novel, down to the magic black dude.

Niwrad posted:

By the way, was that crazy deal with the old owners of the ABA team ever settled? I think it was one where the Pacers were having to cut checks to them for a chunk of the TV deal every season.

Apparently, one of the guys just got tired of the NBA bothering him about buyouts? And they're also old as crap and I guess figured straight up cash would cause less inheritance issues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/sports/basketball/payout-may-come-for-an-aba-team-that-is-long-gone.html?ref=sports&_r=0

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread