Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Aren't orange pucks the light/soft ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

prom candy posted:

Aren't orange pucks the light/soft ones?

Blue pucks are lighter meant for kids hockey. 4 oz

Black pucks are standard weight. 6 oz

Orange pucks are weighted for practice. 10 oz

You might be thinking of the foam ones that people use for basement/knee hockey and Chuck a Puck type things

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There are orange plastic pucks that primarily get used in gym class or road hockey (at least before all these fancy ball-bearing biscuit things came out), but they look very distinct whereas the weighed pucks are actually puck shaped and just different colours.

versus

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get orange pucks with the official 6 oz weight, which is a bit of an rear end in a top hat move from the manufacturers. You can also get them in blue which is just pure evil.

http://www.ministicks.com/colored_hockey_pucks_and_colored_foam_hockey_pucks_s/14687.htm

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Lately I've been tossing around the far fetched idea of taking up goalie so for shits sake at work I put together a discount set of goalie gear to see what it would take to feel comfortable stepping out in front of a slapshot.

It was something like $1600 for basic entry level ice gear. Nevermind.

Hockles posted:

Just find a cool bro who will sell you his used equipment. Thanks Bradf0rd!

Guess who has a spare set of goalie equipment again! If you might be interested, and are around 5'9", let me know and I'll send you a PM and we can talk.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Where do you have to live that pucks make an appearance in gym class?

Kind of bummed today, turned out Hockey Giant sent me the wrong stick. I was wondering if it was such a good idea to ship a junior stick in a senior-sized box with no packing material...turns out they didn't. Oops.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My old grade school and high school did.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Southern California believe it or not.

That was the best two weeks of P.E. ever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We had trips to the arena to learn to skate in my elementary school, and a decent amount of floor hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We had floor hockey in our gym classes as well (Michigan) from elementary through high school. Best gym class section of the year. I hated the plastic sticks but the nice thing was you could curve the poo poo out of the blade and I ended up always hitting someone in the face with the ball.

Good times.

Bradf0rd posted:

Guess who has a spare set of goalie equipment again! If you might be interested, and are around 5'9", let me know and I'll send you a PM and we can talk.

You can always send me an email, never got around to getting PMs. derick.adameATgmail

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 5, 2015

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Massachusetts here, and we always had a couple weeks of floor hockey every year. It was always nice to be picked first for something. Most other sports I'd get picked somewhere in the middle but I always got picked first during hockey week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I played floor hockey in gym class in Ohio. We had to use those stupid plastic sticks with the straight blade. Everyone went home with bruised shins during hockey week.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Kind of bummed today, turned out Hockey Giant sent me the wrong stick. I was wondering if it was such a good idea to ship a junior stick in a senior-sized box with no packing material...turns out they didn't. Oops.

Self-quoting to give Hockey Giant props, I called about the stick and Steve the customer support guy got it sorted out in under an hour. They're even shipping the wrong stick directly from my doorstep to the (I assume) giant man who's waiting for it.

I'm so envious of you people with your hockey-inclusive PE classes. Not that I didn't love badminton and (I'm not kidding) Jane Fonda videos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Floor hockey showed up a couple times in school up in Anchorage, but it was pretty unpopular. Everyone wanted to be playing basketball, all day every day. I'm pretty sure they only brought out hockey to justify the purchase of the equipment.

Pretty much anyone that actually wanted to play hockey did it on ice, most of the high schools have their own rink so it was readily available. Many elementary schools have outdoor rinks too.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Skates are packed, gonna check out the olympic rinks and see if they have any tourneys during the year.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

We had floor hockey in our gym classes as well (Michigan) from elementary through high school. Best gym class section of the year. I hated the plastic sticks but the nice thing was you could curve the poo poo out of the blade and I ended up always hitting someone in the face with the ball.

Good times.

Oh man I loving loooooooved floor hockey week(s) in grade school. It was the same deal as:

bigbillystyle posted:

...and we always had a couple weeks of floor hockey every year. It was always nice to be picked first for something. Most other sports I'd get picked somewhere in the middle but I always got picked first during hockey week.
...and our shins would get wrecked, too. Totally worth it. Eventually, though, my brother and I would beat the poo poo out of each other with those plastic hockey sticks (we each had our own) to the point where our mom finally got sick of it and threw them in the fireplace. That was a tragic day as a wee little Duke. :sigh:

Also, we didn't get a full size ice rink in our town capable of hockey until I was already finished with high school. Then I found out my old high school now has a hockey team. :argh:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I drove by an elementary school in San Jose, about three blocks from the SAP Center, that had kids outside playing street hockey at what I presume was gym class.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I had a floor hockey unit a couple times in gym class, 10th and 11th grade. It was the only sport I was any good at.

I remember the kid from Sweden we had in our class would always get so mad when I'd score against his team, presumably because no one expected a short chubby kid like me to be any good.

I was also the kid that always got hit in the face with the ball.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

I drove by an elementary school in San Jose, about three blocks from the SAP Center, that had kids outside playing street hockey at what I presume was gym class.

Huh. I guess the answer to my question is "don't be born in the early 70s".

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
After moving here from the USSR, I attended the latter part of elementary and all of middle and high school in the San Jose/Cupertino area, and the closest we got was field hockey in high school PE - and that wasn't normal, we only played it because the marching band (sigh, yes - first clarinet, baby!) had their own PE class.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The low level league I am in kicked a guy on my team out of the league after a number of complaints were lodged (he was the best skater in the league). First time I've ever seen that happen. I'm not defending him, but the whole situation has been incredibly dramatic and I'm no longer enjoying myself when I play in the league because of it. Just kind of sucks.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Benson Cunningham posted:

The low level league I am in kicked a guy on my team out of the league after a number of complaints were lodged (he was the best skater in the league). First time I've ever seen that happen. I'm not defending him, but the whole situation has been incredibly dramatic and I'm no longer enjoying myself when I play in the league because of it. Just kind of sucks.

Were the complaints about his skill being too high for the league or were they petty poo poo?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Bootcha posted:

Were the complaints about his skill being too high for the league or were they petty poo poo?

Both. He was an extreme hockey d-bag a couple times, and receIved a warning from the league that if he didn't cool it he'd be tossed.

I wasn't there, but I heard be cooled it and got reported anyway for being too good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

bgreman posted:

Both. He was an extreme hockey d-bag a couple times, and receIved a warning from the league that if he didn't cool it he'd be tossed.

I wasn't there, but I heard be cooled it and got reported anyway for being too good.

Yeah, in his last game he had 1 goal, 1 assist. We won 5-4. He was basically doing everything the league asked and they kicked him anyway. Some of my coworkers in the league were all really excited, and one on our team even bragged about reporting him.

I'm just depressed that people are all about punishment instead of reform. Dude was being better, but I guess that wasn't what they actually wanted anymore- they just wanted him gone.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I mean if you're too good you're too good if that was the original dispute. Sure you can tone down being an rear end in a top hat but if you curb your skill that's just sand bagging.

I can see both sides but it's crazy to see a league actually enforce it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In my experience, the guys who get kicked up a league are the most douche-baggy/cheap-shotty people in the league. It doesn't make sense. You're the best skater in the league, you don't have to do that poo poo.

Our hockey director kicked out the "best" player on the top 8 teams in Bronze league because he's a moron and thinks it'll magically make the LTP team championship contenders. 6 of those players are going to get eaten alive in Silver. He really did a terrible job picking them. My team had 1 of the 2 who got kicked up that already play Silver, so I think I'm on the chopping block next season.

There's been a ton of instances of dumb loving cheap shots and blind-side hits this season that has resulted in a pile of serious injuries that makes me want to get the gently caress out and never go back to Bronze. Just need to get my girl to move up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Your league is also extraordinarily violent. Like you got a 2 and a 10 for charging, no? That hasn't happened in our 6 divisions in in seasons. All of the misconducts are usually due to people's mouths. Last year there was one incident and that was really bad and the dude who started it was removed from the league.

LTP should always be a division and not a team in a division imo.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm just depressed that people are all about punishment instead of reform. Dude was being better, but I guess that wasn't what they actually wanted anymore- they just wanted him gone.

It's neither of those things. It's parity. Which is more highly valued the lower the skill level is.

It takes knowing a dude for a long time to trust them to be good about it. Rarely can guys do that because when they get behind the rest of the team will egg them on to be just better enough to make the difference.

Sometimes you gotta play up. If you're set with a bunch of guys then bring them with you to the higher division.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 6, 2015

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So rec league hockey is the first regular athletic thing I've taken part of and one thing I've realized is that I never learned much about stretching.

I've been noticing in some games that for a brief period of time I will get this pretty bad pain in my lower back on the left side. It especially hurts if I'm sitting on the bench. Standing up or getting on the ice skating will relieve the pain. My best guess is that this is because I'm bad at stretching. It's only happened in a small handful of games and I've been playing for a year and a half now so it's somewhat rare. Still concerning though.

Is there some documentation out there on a small number of important stretches I should be doing before skating hard (including something that might address this back thing)? I see what some guys are doing before games and I will sometimes try to emulate them but I have no idea if I'm doing it right.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

God I hate stretching...for lower back pain be sure to stretch your quads and hip flexors. Kneel on the floor, with one leg behind you backside up. Stretch the muscles right at the hip/groin. Switich legs, repeat other side.

Because its better with pictures:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/12981/45_2007/hip-flexor-stretch.jpg

I do this standing also but with the extended leg on a bed or chair

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Your league is also extraordinarily violent. Like you got a 2 and a 10 for charging, no? That hasn't happened in our 6 divisions in in seasons. All of the misconducts are usually due to people's mouths. Last year there was one incident and that was really bad and the dude who started it was removed from the league.

Yeah, I got a 2 and a 10 against probably the biggest d-bag in the league who put a blind-side boarding hit on my girlfriend. Yes, that probably makes me "that guy with a girlfriend on the team," but gently caress you if you're going to blindly board anyone from behind, let alone a girl in a beginner league.

I'd say 10-minute misconducts happen probably once a week. The majority of the time it's because the refs just keep letting poo poo go and it escalates quickly. This only started becoming a bigger problem the past couple seasons. The reffing has really gone downhill since Topo fell off the face of the world.

quote:

LTP should always be a division and not a team in a division imo.

Completely agree, but there isn't enough hockey in this area to fill out an entire league with LTP players. They'd end up with like 1.5 teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biggest controversy to happen at my rink in the last year has been racist chirps.

Chicago people are chill people. :whatup:

I mean people get snippy over alleged slashes and shoves but it never goes anywhere.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

Bilirubin posted:

God I hate stretching...for lower back pain be sure to stretch your quads and hip flexors. Kneel on the floor, with one leg behind you backside up. Stretch the muscles right at the hip/groin. Switich legs, repeat other side.

Because its better with pictures:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/12981/45_2007/hip-flexor-stretch.jpg

I do this standing also but with the extended leg on a bed or chair

It didn't occur to me how difficult it might be to describe stretches on an internet message board. That image is super helpful and I'll be sure to try that one out. I also see one where guys get on all fours and basically arch their back

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That kneeling stretch as well as leaning backward over my heels feels great and gets me loose enough to skate comfortably, doesn't need more than a minute to do which is good if you showed up late and missed warmups. :angel:

Full ice forward strides are good too, get those legs out wide.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd say 10-minute misconducts happen probably once a week. The majority of the time it's because the refs just keep letting poo poo go and it escalates quickly. This only started becoming a bigger problem the past couple seasons. The reffing has really gone downhill since Topo fell off the face of the world.

Completely agree, but there isn't enough hockey in this area to fill out an entire league with LTP players. They'd end up with like 1.5 teams.

Crazy. They can't turn em away fast enough here. 4 teams, waiting list, and constantly moving people to the next division every season. I'm sure 2 cups helps but the league does a ton of advertising and marketing. Finding your first league after taking a class as an adult is the hardest part about getting started.

It's just weird. Our officials are good, I like them, it's just that it seems to be a large collection of people who, generally, are willing to let poo poo go. People get bumped a little too hard or get run from behind its not starting anything. Penalty is called or maybe it isn't but they generally seem to move on. Again, generally isn't always but it seems to be far less.

20 minutes in penalties last year were because of slurring the gays, which is cool to see not be tolerated.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Psmith posted:

It didn't occur to me how difficult it might be to describe stretches on an internet message board. That image is super helpful and I'll be sure to try that one out. I also see one where guys get on all fours and basically arch their back

Just don't be that guy stretching before he sets foot on the ice. Stretching before warming up increases the risk of injury. For games, I'll usually do a really light stretch after the four minute warmup skate (because it's only four minutes), and then only really stretch in earnest after a couple of shifts (on the bench) and again between periods.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, static stretching before warming up is not recommended. Dynamic stuff is fine and doubles as an effective warmup.

You just have to actually do it, and who wants to faff about swinging your legs around when you could be bullshitting with your team?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The reffing has really gone downhill since Topo fell off the face of the world.

also this is a p. good explanation of what actually happened

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Has anyone here used a slackline? I do a bit of rock climbing and slacklines are often around, but it only just recently dawned on me that it might be an awesome way to work on balance training and building some leg muscles at home. I may end up getting one to screw around with; I'm not sure if it would have any benefit for my skating but it should be fun regardless.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 6, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well, static stretching before warming up is not recommended. Dynamic stuff is fine and doubles as an effective warmup.

You just have to actually do it, and who wants to faff about swinging your legs around when you could be bullshitting with your team?

Yeah I should have specified, but when was the last time you saw anyone stretching dynamically? Usually it's people walking out of the locker room and going into a standing half split with their foot on the top of the boards. Make me cringe every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teeter posted:

Has anyone here used a slackline? I do a bit of rock climbing and slacklines are often around, but it only just recently dawned on me that it might be an awesome way to work on balance training and building some leg muscles at home. I may end up getting one to screw around with; I'm not sure if it would have any benefit for my skating but it should be fun regardless.

There was a video a year or two ago of some NHLer using one, his feet slipped off and it snapped into his nuts. Forget who it was.. I wanna say Ovechkin but that's probably wrong.

So uh, wear a cup or something. :v: