Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kopijeger posted:

Paganchat reminded me of this: British Odinist fired for using "multicultural prayer room", gets told that his faith is "not real", but is vindicated in court. I wonder how declaring yourself a follower of the Æsir would be received in those unenlightened countries where most people assume that people have to belong to an Abrahamic faith system. I know that in Greece, pagans dedicating themselves to the Olympian gods tend to be discriminated against in a society where the Orthodox church has disproportionate influence.

In the US, the problem is that Odinist religions have been co-opted by white supremacists. It isn't fair, but that will color the reactions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, it's a real mixed bag in the US. I found a lot of white supremacists and faith-ey literalists while googling around about Asatru, which is a shame. I've only scratched the surface but as a source of myth, ritual and symbols, I think I'd be down if it weren't all shitted up by my fellow Americans.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 4, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That "multicultural room" story is pretty amazing. Here is what happens when someone even farther down the "religion taken seriously" ladder tries to express his beliefs!

I have worn Thor's Hammer pendants on and off in my life, and the only non-abstract one I ever wore led, within the span of the first week I wore it, to a cashier at a grocery store giving me a knowing look and saying something like "people like us have to keep America clean." Super-creepy enough that I stopped wearing that particular necklace forever. Sad, but apparently hardly uncommon here. I mean, I can see how it makes sense to draw the idiocy line directly from "NORDIC-BORN RELIGION = WHITE DUDES WOOO" but it is still too bad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Haha, that's hilarious. It's like you discovered the hidden sign and accidentally stumbled upon a secret network.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Paganchat reminded me of this: British Odinist fired for using "multicultural prayer room", gets told that his faith is "not real", but is vindicated in court. I wonder how declaring yourself a follower of the Æsir would be received in those unenlightened countries where most people assume that people have to belong to an Abrahamic faith system. I know that in Greece, pagans dedicating themselves to the Olympian gods tend to be discriminated against in a society where the Orthodox church has disproportionate influence.
Lol, what a bunch of dickheads. Good to see that guy beat them at the courts.

Accretionist posted:

Did you see Iceland.jpg? There's a little tourism chat here and there.

Sample post:
Nah, don't gibbis much now it isn't a glorified RSS feed any more, maybe I'll post there with pics from this thread, or you can repost them there if you like, is your thread. Also lol at dudes I don't recognize wanting to pre-emptively ban me from there, haha.
In any case tho, Freudian Slippers seems to be staying on case there and doing a good job.

nm posted:

In the US, the problem is that Odinist religions have been co-opted by white supremacists. It isn't fair, but that will color the reactions here.
Yea, at one point I mentioned being pagan in a thread in ask/tell and they went on a mini-rant about why I had to "pick a religion of hate when there's plenty of good ones around" or some such thing. The real Ásatrú doesn't give the tiniest of poo poo or even mention phenotype and the ancestors would probably laugh, then beat up someone who'd suggest that.

Quarex posted:

That "multicultural room" story is pretty amazing. Here is what happens when someone even farther down the "religion taken seriously" ladder tries to express his beliefs!

I have worn Thor's Hammer pendants on and off in my life, and the only non-abstract one I ever wore led, within the span of the first week I wore it, to a cashier at a grocery store giving me a knowing look and saying something like "people like us have to keep America clean." Super-creepy enough that I stopped wearing that particular necklace forever. Sad, but apparently hardly uncommon here. I mean, I can see how it makes sense to draw the idiocy line directly from "NORDIC-BORN RELIGION = WHITE DUDES WOOO" but it is still too bad.
Awww man, that's sad/hilarious. From what I remembered the fastest growing splinter was in prisons in the US so it does focus a bit too much on certain facets of the faith. But I doubt they ever read anything about it, the closest is probably reading Thor comics and getting mad about them.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 4, 2015

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
A couple of weirdly specific questions - any idea on the best way to get to Iceland from Europe/Australia? I've never been anywhere overseas where I need to have a stopover, and if I'm going to be junking around weird Euroports on the way through at the tailend of 30+hours of transit I'd prefer a decent one :) Icelandair is the best way to get into Iceland from Europe, right?

Also, any idea of the local music scene? I'll likely be heading up to cover the ATP Festival and wouldn't mind taking in a bit of the local stuff outside of the international acts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Awww man, that's sad/hilarious. From what I remembered the fastest growing splinter was in prisons in the US so it does focus a bit too much on certain facets of the faith. But I doubt they ever read anything about it, the closest is probably reading Thor comics and getting mad about them.

Race is such a huge loving in us prisons, but that is for another thread.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

A couple of weirdly specific questions - any idea on the best way to get to Iceland from Europe/Australia? I've never been anywhere overseas where I need to have a stopover, and if I'm going to be junking around weird Euroports on the way through at the tailend of 30+hours of transit I'd prefer a decent one :) Icelandair is the best way to get into Iceland from Europe, right?

Also, any idea of the local music scene? I'll likely be heading up to cover the ATP Festival and wouldn't mind taking in a bit of the local stuff outside of the international acts.
I'm very partial to Frankfurt, that's what I used for my trip to Japan and it was fairly cheap too.

Honest recommendation actually is to have a significant stopover at some of the places to break up the flights, but that can be complicated. Paris, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, heck even Copenhagen or Madrid are all great places I'd recommend for a few days. And Icelandair is the simplest one to get there, but not necessarily the cheapest for some of those flights. I'd shop around and see if some of the mainland flight companies might be cheaper.

It shames me to admit it, but I only listen to dead music. What parts of the Icelandic music scene I listen to, is usually online and shared there, not in live venues. As ever, I suggest the Grapevine, which has a big section on upcoming events and ongoing ones, as well as reviews and whatnot, all in English and online, for free.

Man, I should get a sponsorship from those guys at some point.

nm posted:

Race is such a huge loving in us prisons, but that is for another thread.
It is, and it's pretty interesting when you come from a nation so homogeneous that it made Japan look multicultural for the longest time.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

I only listen to dead music.

https://www.dead.is

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It is, and it's pretty interesting when you come from a nation so homogeneous that it made Japan look multicultural for the longest time.
Now you have a generically asian soup place and like 3 thai places.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
neiiiiiiiiiiii

nm posted:

Now you have a generically asian soup place and like 3 thai places.
Nah, we actually got surprisingly good E-Asian food, though no real Japanese food, just, ugh, sushi. The Pakistani and Nepalese places are great, as are the plethora of Indian ones.

Shitload of thai yeah. Is good. Now, if only we could get some good Mexican I could be happy...

Also here is the sorta music I listen to: https://soundcloud.com/pallivan3/lommi-faru-heim

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

That's not bad. What do you mean by 'dead' music then? I thought you meant some long gone 60's and 70's bands.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's not bad. What do you mean by 'dead' music then? I thought you meant some long gone 60's and 70's bands.
I was just being my coy self; I don't really go out to bars or partying much; prefer just chilling and then going to friends parties rather than downtown. I go to more poetry readings than live music shows and I only go to the former when folks invite me. So if they happen, I don't know them well aside from the famous ones.

also lol: http://www.rajanzed.org/hindus-welcome-raising-of-norse-pagan-temple-in-iceland/

that's uh, that's a nice gesture I suppose?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm slightly disappointed that the neo-norse (nýásatrú?) don't practice the blood-sacrifice of livestock. It's probably the redneck farmer in me, but I think people are losing their connection to earth and nature, and it would behoove us to see that our current lives owe just as much to the animals we keep for food and clothing, as we do to intellectual and cultural accomplishments; IMO, offering an animal to the gods would reinforce that, as well as remind folks that faith is not a frivolous subject to be chosen or discarded at a whim. I might not believe in the old gods, but they are a part of my cultural DNA, and I respect them greatly.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
What's the thing that a foreigner should definately not do in front of an Icelander? (or Icelandic I don't know how to spell it sorry)
Is there something that you guys are really proud of and that would offend you if someone would denigrate it?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that the neo-norse (nýásatrú?) don't practice the blood-sacrifice of livestock. It's probably the redneck farmer in me, but I think people are losing their connection to earth and nature, and it would behoove us to see that our current lives owe just as much to the animals we keep for food and clothing, as we do to intellectual and cultural accomplishments; IMO, offering an animal to the gods would reinforce that, as well as remind folks that faith is not a frivolous subject to be chosen or discarded at a whim. I might not believe in the old gods, but they are a part of my cultural DNA, and I respect them greatly.
There's nothing really stopping you from doing that, in fact I knew a guy that did that. He was a bit of a, well, gently caress-up though. Viking re-enactor with a suspended drivers license who drank to much and took the faith a bit too seriously on the "battle" part and not enough on the "don't be a dick part". Ends up married to a yank and moving to Arizona or some such place to be a security guard before he disconnects from facebook.
Iceland is small enough folks might even recognize him from that description, hah!

But you can do sacrifices if you want. I might, though I'd want someone to eat it later.

NyxBiker posted:

What's the thing that a foreigner should definately not do in front of an Icelander? (or Icelandic I don't know how to spell it sorry)
Is there something that you guys are really proud of and that would offend you if someone would denigrate it?
Ask where the "whores" and "sluts" are, I guess. Thanks, "Dirty Weekend" ad campaign. Really though, there's not a lot of things Westerns need fear with Icelanders in public. In private, well. I'm always reminded of the time some interns at the Grapevine went to a party and raided the fridge for booze worth thousands of ISK because they had no idea that it Iceland is always BYOB unless otherwise noted.

If you are non-western uhh, I dunno. Smoking inside? Streetspitting? Nyeh.

Uhhh, I dunno. The Icelandic HORSE (not pony drat you), the Sagas maybe. Strongmen and purdy ladies also maybe. I mostly just pretend to be nationalistic in places to rile people up because the only crimes Iceland has ever committed as a nation was a massacre of Basques, who don't even remember it methinks. Like, some people are sore about the "lol ur inbred" but I sure ain't. Then again, I originate from "The Congo" of Iceland.

Also Icelanders are very offended if you visit the country and don't bring them booze, yes. This is a true thing. :v:

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 6, 2015

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

There's nothing really stopping you from doing that, in fact I knew a guy that did that. He was a bit of a, well, gently caress-up though. Viking re-enactor with a suspended drivers license who drank to much and took the faith a bit too seriously on the "battle" part and not enough on the "don't be a dick part". Ends up married to a yank and moving to Arizona or some such place to be a security guard before he disconnects from facebook.
Iceland is small enough folks might even recognize him from that description, hah!

But you can do sacrifices if you want. I might, though I'd want someone to eat it later.

Ugh, at least he had the sense to exile himself to the US. But yeah, eating the animal (and preferably using the hide as well) is totally implicit to the whole "respect the animal that clothes and feeds you" kinda thing. Just killing some animal, and then discarding it is wasteful and cruel. As I said, I don't believe in the gods, so it's not as if this will ever be an issue for me. My attitude probably comes from growing up in the sticks, and taking part in killing and preparing sheep for consumption - it annoys the hell out of me to see some city-dwelling fool "embracing their pagan roots", and "living with nature" from the comforts of their rented flat, and then start crying and/or fainting when they get confronted with the process of how their dinner came to be on their plate.

Then again, I originate from "The Congo" of Iceland.

This you gotta elaborate on! :D

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ugh, at least he had the sense to exile himself to the US. But yeah, eating the animal (and preferably using the hide as well) is totally implicit to the whole "respect the animal that clothes and feeds you" kinda thing. Just killing some animal, and then discarding it is wasteful and cruel. As I said, I don't believe in the gods, so it's not as if this will ever be an issue for me. My attitude probably comes from growing up in the sticks, and taking part in killing and preparing sheep for consumption - it annoys the hell out of me to see some city-dwelling fool "embracing their pagan roots", and "living with nature" from the comforts of their rented flat, and then start crying and/or fainting when they get confronted with the process of how their dinner came to be on their plate.
I'm vegetarian, as well as a city slicker par excellans, so I don't know nothing 'bout that. But yea, I'd be down with folks actually connecting more with their roots in a real sense rather than the, sadly a bit too ren-faire poo poo Hilmar lets slide sometimes.

This you gotta elaborate on! :D
So, the East of Iceland has always had a shitload of French blood, with French sailors often settling or just leaving little reminders for a couple hundreds of years. As the french themselves tend towards various shades of swarthy, people there are a lot darker than in many parts of Iceland, though obviously it varies immensely between families. There were even a few black people that went in, though I don't feel like opening up the people book and checking it out exactly.

So, the east and Djúpivogur especially, got called "The Congo", for being full of black folks. My old man tans very well and the sun is actually quite strong here, if not warm, so when he was working back in the day he once engaged in shenanigans, for which he was described as "that friend of the family", to give you an idea of how backwards folks were then.

To this day people often ask me where I'm from though, and if I answer them politely, where my parents are from. After which I usually go with some mockery or whatever, because clearly this swarthy fellow can't be a pure-bred Icelander. Then if I mention the east they nod sagely, he was from the Congo after all and not a furrner at all.

This seems very hard for some folks to grasp. And is part of the reason my lovely red text is as it is. Because while I might count as "white" in the US and even the mainland, I sure as poo poo ain't in the Nordics.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

It's fitting that he moved to Arizona of all places. It's full of nuts on both ends of the political spectrum--home to extreme Conservatives that form citizen militias to patrol the US-Mexico border, and at the same time home to hippies that try to use their psychic powers to commune with dolphins. A security guard who participates in pagan animal sacrifice might as well be King of the Crazy (or at least the white supremacists).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

It's fitting that he moved to Arizona of all places. It's full of nuts on both ends of the political spectrum--home to extreme Conservatives that form citizen militias to patrol the US-Mexico border, and at the same time home to hippies that try to use their psychic powers to commune with dolphins. A security guard who participates in pagan animal sacrifice might as well be King of the Crazy (or at least the white supremacists).
Hah, really? Never knew about the hippies. And how do you get dolphins in Arizona? Is my grasp of American geography even worse than I remembered?

About the last part though, there's actually a shitload of animosity between the "Volkisch" fuckers who bring race into Ásatrú (a thing supported in absolutely no goddamn way by the Sagas, the Writs or any oral legacy) and mainstream Ástatrú as we mostly agree about it in the Nordics. There's been several people coming over who have had to be gently informed that racist poo poo is not tolerated and that if they continue to espouse such views, they cannot be members of the covenant.

As for him, I dunno. Casual racist? Yea sure, thoughtless poo poo and not understanding white privilege or the gravity of certain words and vocabulary, I can see that happening. White supremacism? Not unless they're the only game in town and he gets desperate to reconnect.

This idea of Ásatrú as a racist thing makes almost every who's a member genuinely furious or/and very sad. The christians are various types of annoying a lot of the time, and atheists as well (other polytheists are actually mostly cool about it, but I've never met a fundie one of them).

It's poo poo it's like all racisms up in the US but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let racists stop me from following the faith I no longer believe in because I'm an atheist. :v:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
No, you're right, Arizona is a very landlocked state. But hippies don't let the vast desert in all directions stop them from channeling their inner dolphin: http://youtu.be/nag2s1HDrMI?t=10m23s

I don't mean to imply that the serious practitioners of Ásatrú share any beliefs in common with racists in the US. Realistically, though, if anyone has a Mjolnir tattoo or anything like that in Arizona, they're probably prisoners.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

To this day people often ask me where I'm from though, and if I answer them politely, where my parents are from. After which I usually go with some mockery or whatever, because clearly this swarthy fellow can't be a pure-bred Icelander. Then if I mention the east they nod sagely, he was from the Congo after all and not a furrner at all.

This seems very hard for some folks to grasp. And is part of the reason my lovely red text is as it is. Because while I might count as "white" in the US and even the mainland, I sure as poo poo ain't in the Nordics.
Thanks for this explanation, as I had always wondered what was going on in your red text, and this explains much of the most confusing part.

It is actually pretty ignorant to assume that because someone would be called "white" in the USA that it means that person is part of the privileged sector in some other primarily-European-ancestry country. People laughed off the stories the Italian dude I went to Iceland with told about not feeling like he fit in, but as someone who has spent years living in Southeast Asia I promise that your feelings of white privilege start to disappear (or at the very least develop a lot more nuance) the moment literally every person you encounter stares at you and makes it clear you do not really belong (even if they are friendly about it). I would challenge any racially intolerant person from the USA to live in a non-white country for a year and not have that bullshit wiped out of their mind posthaste (I suppose it could just make that person double-down and start to hate everyone though).

It goes both ways, too, of course--the Argentinian in my doctoral program was confused that he was not seen as white in the USA given that he was Italian-descended and therefore "white" back home. Though given the scary racist stuff I just found after wondering how prevalent his views are I hope I never have to talk to him about this again.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

No, you're right, Arizona is a very landlocked state. But hippies don't let the vast desert in all directions stop them from channeling their inner dolphin: http://youtu.be/nag2s1HDrMI?t=10m23s

I don't mean to imply that the serious practitioners of Ásatrú share any beliefs in common with racists in the US. Realistically, though, if anyone has a Mjolnir tattoo or anything like that in Arizona, they're probably prisoners.
That is some right magical poo poo that is.

And yea, I get it, different social reality. Still makes me irritated when people warn me that symbols I grew up with are objects of hate abroad. I wonder if this is how Buddhists feel about the Swastika.

Quarex posted:

Thanks for this explanation, as I had always wondered what was going on in your red text, and this explains much of the most confusing part.

It is actually pretty ignorant to assume that because someone would be called "white" in the USA that it means that person is part of the privileged sector in some other primarily-European-ancestry country. People laughed off the stories the Italian dude I went to Iceland with told about not feeling like he fit in, but as someone who has spent years living in Southeast Asia I promise that your feelings of white privilege start to disappear (or at the very least develop a lot more nuance) the moment literally every person you encounter stares at you and makes it clear you do not really belong (even if they are friendly about it). I would challenge any racially intolerant person from the USA to live in a non-white country for a year and not have that bullshit wiped out of their mind posthaste (I suppose it could just make that person double-down and start to hate everyone though).

It goes both ways, too, of course--the Argentinian in my doctoral program was confused that he was not seen as white in the USA given that he was Italian-descended and therefore "white" back home. Though given the scary racist stuff I just found after wondering how prevalent his views are I hope I never have to talk to him about this again.
The people who got this redtext are so clueless they thought I was an MRA first. To be fair though, I was in a bad place and fairly remorselessly trolling the thread. So easily we repeat the folly of youth. But I don't change it, partly because blegh, money but partly because I have to try and remember how I have to be more clear in my use of words, because people aren't mind readers.

To further wax anecdotal, there was this moment, I think it was in my first year of junior college, don't remember what prompted it, when I actually took a second to think and take a look around and see how, you know, I'm not actually part of the majority phenotype. I was the only man in a class of 30 people with brown hair.It was an odd kinda realization, when you realize that, kinda, you don't belong.

Afterwards a bunch of things that had vaguely puzzled me became easier to understand; how people always knew who I was based on my relatives, why I always got, like you said, these looks and other things, that are a bit too revealing to post on an open forum where people have already threatened to dox me. When you return to Iceland, I'll tell you and the wife the story over some cider and eats, maybe. Or maybe some actually funny and good stories, heh.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Going to necro the gently caress out of this thread. It's too cool to die out.

Is "Hallgrimskírkja" pronounced as (roughly) hat-grim-skerk-ya? Please say yes. I hope I finally got pronunciation down :unsmith:.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Going to necro the gently caress out of this thread. It's too cool to die out.

Is "Hallgrimskírkja" pronounced as (roughly) hat-grim-skerk-ya? Please say yes. I hope I finally got pronunciation down :unsmith:.
Hahaha.

No. But then the double ll sound is the most awful sound after the Hj sound for most English speakers to learn so it's a close approximation.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Hahaha.

No. But then the double ll sound is the most awful sound after the Hj sound for most English speakers to learn so it's a close approximation.

Icelandic is the only language I've ever seen that's literally impossible to spell out pronunciations with phonetically.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
There are many languages like that (all languages are like that) and it's why IPA was invented.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Speaking of pronunciation, is the double-l always pronounced "dl", or are there exceptions, like in Faroese? For example, we have "bolli", which can mean either bun [bɔl'lɛ], or bowl [bɔdli]

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

There are many languages like that (all languages are like that) and it's why IPA was invented.

True. English is pretty limited with its sounds, too, so that makes it even harder to spell things out phonetically.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Icelandic is the only language I've ever seen that's literally impossible to spell out pronunciations with phonetically.
Yea, like Bloodnose said, the further away you get from your linguistic family, the harder pronunciation becomes. Learning IPA for Japanese was poo poo, ach.

Speaking of pronunciation, is the double-l always pronounced "dl", or are there exceptions, like in Faroese? For example, we have "bolli", which can mean either bun [bɔl'lɛ], or bowl [bɔdli]
Not in words like "Halló" but yea, mostly it's that. Bolli means cup in Icelandic btw, hah.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any notable regional accents or dialects of Icelandic?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are there any notable regional accents or dialects of Icelandic?
Only one; Norðlenska, the others were pretty well eradicated in during the Romantic period, same as with most of the more direct Danish influence. There's remnants of them in the east and west but nothing close to Norðlenska and even that is more of an accent than a dialect, with only a few words different.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Only one; Norðlenska, the others were pretty well eradicated in during the Romantic period, same as with most of the more direct Danish influence. There's remnants of them in the east and west but nothing close to Norðlenska and even that is more of an accent than a dialect, with only a few words different.

Very cool. Was there some sort of orthographic standardisation - like German had - to get rid of the other dialects, or was it a natural process?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Very cool. Was there some sort of orthographic standardisation - like German had - to get rid of the other dialects, or was it a natural process?
Yea, except because of our small size, it was much easier to make the standard dialect pretty much the sole one.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Here's an annoying tourist question: My wife and I will be visiting Iceland at the beginning of August for about a week's long vacation. We've booked a place with free parking, but how essential is it to have a car to get around for day trips? Is it possible to just handle that via bus? We weren't thinking of doing any overnight trips outside of Reykjavik.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

Here's an annoying tourist question: My wife and I will be visiting Iceland at the beginning of August for about a week's long vacation. We've booked a place with free parking, but how essential is it to have a car to get around for day trips? Is it possible to just handle that via bus? We weren't thinking of doing any overnight trips outside of Reykjavik.

Reykjavik doesn't really need a car for tourist stuff if you're staying very centrally.
Outside or Reykjavik, I strongly recommend one unless you're doing only the golden circle stuff.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

nm posted:

Reykjavik doesn't really need a car for tourist stuff if you're staying very centrally.
Outside or Reykjavik, I strongly recommend one unless you're doing only the golden circle stuff.

Ditto. Having a car is incredibly freeing, and if you plan even half-rear end, you can easily see 3-5x worth the value of the rental car in tours.

I suggest driving to Stykkishólmur, around the Snæfelsnes peninsula, and then on another day do the golden circle and then keep going and see Jökursálon (the glacier bay) and take a dip in Seljavallalaug.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Max posted:

It really depends on how much you wanna wander; it's a lot cheaper to get a bus than car but you're on someone elses time-table and often surrounded by other tourists, though some tours like the afternoon ones are less travelled. I was actually thinking of adding to the OP I might be able to land folks cheaper bus tours (Gotta check with boss but probs likely, working a new tourist job) but like has been said before, a lot of the things a bus would pass might be something to interest you.
Tbh, I'm so inured to the Icelandic landscape I have no idea what impresses folks or not at times. :v:

As for within Reykjavík: Not really needed as the bus system works well and if anything, trying to get parking in central Reykjavík is a huge pain these days thinks to the dumb construction. When the date gets closer we can try and get in contact; I may be working but I can at least get you some examples of stuff to do, places to eat and whatnot.

nm and poopinmymouth are right too; the west part in particular is a good close drive, though I do think the east route that goes to Seljalandsfoss and Skógar with maybe a visit to Flúðir for some geothermal strawberries is worth a visit of its own. Jökulsárlón is fairly far off from Reykjavík too; but most of the cool landmarks on the way make up for it and there is a certain experience going through the various 'sands.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
One cool thing about parking in the city though is that you can feed the meter for days at a time. We spent half our trip traveling and half in the city, so when we got there I just parked and bought a parking ticket that lasted three days. Didn't have to move my car at all until we were ready to go to the airport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The places in the center of the city are pretty expensive, so we went with a cheaper place with parking.

Thanks for all the advice, I think we'll definitely rent a car since we both really want to go out and explore as much as we can.

DP, I can be in touch closer to the time. We're going to be in Scottland for a week before heading to Iceland. We'll be there for the first week of August.

• Locked thread