Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

duckmaster posted:

This whole page is a treasure trove for this stuff. Apparently virtually everything we know about hypothermia and how to treat it and so on originates from experiments by the Nazis. There's probably another half dozen fields who can "thank" them as well.

Yeah, unfortunately it's very difficult to make real positive medical breakthroughs without doing some morally questionable (or outright awful) poo poo. Perhaps more unfortunate is how hard it is for some people to understand and accept this, because they've spent their lives being told otherwise and just kneejerk with the :byodood:"OMG WHERE THE JUSTICE" anytime they hear about the Unit 731 guys avoiding prosecution in exchange for their research or whatever.

:shepface: "Sorry, sweetie. We let those bad evil people get away because we didn't want to do all of the terrible things they did a second time just to get the same data they already got the first time, and possibly make breakthroughs and start saving innocent lives sooner. We don't know what we were thinking there, but we promise we'll never do it again."

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
1. The uncontrolled, lovely "experiments" they made were of questionable actual scientific utility
2. Why do you think letting people get away with it is necessary? Why do you think there's no "punish the people who did the poo poo" option unless you set fire to their so-called 'research' when you do it?

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010
im a lil too high to confirm but i think thats a gimick post?

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
*Throws a prisoner into boiling water after having him exposed to cold for hours*

"Well, looks like boiling water is not a viable treatment for hypothermia, I'd say we got a scientific breakthrough today."

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

*In an alternate universe set in deceptively modern times, an American scientist sews together a pair of twins without anesthetic, the sounds of his sobs only exceeded by the pained screams of his twisted patients*

Why? Why must I do this in the name of progress?! If only some group of uniformed military psychopaths had undertaken this research in the past, the burden wouldn't have fallen on me!

*The camera pans out and over to a bookshelf, finally coming to rest on the biography of an accomplished painter. The name on the book is strikingly familiar: Adolph Hitler. The scene fades.*

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

A whole bunch of retarded words.

Isn't this the Dr. Money that people were talking about a page back?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i enjoy that there are still people who take the time to reply to doctor gitmo moneyson's nonsense bullshit words that mean nothing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Remember how much we learned from that scientist who sewed three people together rear end to mouth

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Please refrain from responding to Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posts until after reading his rap sheet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fool and the World posted:

im a lil too high to confirm but i think thats a gimick post?

It's actually kinda not.

... It's not a thought I'm proud to have, and I hate that reality sometimes works that way, but, damnit... I don't want to be doomed to have autism for my entire life, and if such a breakthrough is necessary to free me from that prison, then so be it. :smith:

Obviously that's a bad example to defend this kind of thinking to other people, but it's the one that affects me the most personally. Replace "autism" with something like terminal cancer, or a disease that more severely affects a person's quality of life, and it becomes a bit easier to understand.

Actually I guess in this case, you could replace it with being transgender and it'd be a lot easier to understand. I mean, it's largely because of the Reimers and that sick gently caress of a psychologist that we're able to offer transgender individuals the level of care and treatment that we are today. Would it be better for transgender people if we didn't have that kind of know-how at all, if it meant the Reimers having normal lives instead of the ones they did?

... anyway, I don't know why I felt like mentioning that in the first place, but I really shouldn't have. Let's move on.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Feb 5, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Let's stay on topic, please, folks

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Let's get back on track with a spooky lighthouse mystery: the Eilean Mor disappearance, in which three experienced lighthouse keepers vanished under strange circumstances.

quote:

The first hint of anything untoward on the Flannan Isles came on 15 December 1900. The steamer Archtor on passage from Philadelphia to Leith passed the islands in poor weather and noted that the light was not operational.

[...]

A boat was launched and Joseph Moore, the relief keeper, was put ashore alone. He found the entrance gate to the compound and main door both closed, the beds unmade, and the clock stopped. A set of oilskins was found, suggesting that one of the keepers had left the lighthouse without them, which was surprising considering the severity of the weather on the date of the last entry in the lighthouse log. The only sign of anything amiss in the lighthouse was an overturned chair by the kitchen table. Of the keepers there was no sign, neither inside the lighthouse nor anywhere on the island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles

From a non-Wiki site:

quote:

A few days later, Robert Muirhead, the board’s supernatant who both recruited and knew all three men personally, departed for the island to investigate the disappearances.

Muirhead immediately noticed that the last few days of entries were unusual. On the 12th December, Thomas Marshall, the second assistant, wrote of ‘severe winds the likes of which I have never seen before in twenty years’. He also noticed that James Ducat, the Principal Keeper, had been ‘very quiet’ and that the third assistant, William McArthur, had been crying.

What is strange about the final remark was that William McArthur was a seasoned mariner, and was known on the Scottish mainland as a tough brawler. Why would he be crying about a storm?

Log entries on the 13th December stated that the storm was still raging, and that all three men had been praying. But why would three experienced lighthouse keepers, safely situated on a brand new lighthouse that was 150 feet above sea level, be praying for a storm to stop? They should have been perfectly safe.

Even more peculiar is that there were no reported storms in the area on the 12th, 13th and 14th of December. In fact, the weather was calm, and the storms that were to batter the island didn’t hit until December 17th.

The final log entry was made on the 15th December. It simply read ‘Storm ended, sea calm. God is over all’. What was meant by ‘God is over all’?

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/The-Eilean-Mor-Lighthouse-Mystery/

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
This is horrifying. The pictures in the article are NSFW and may ruin your day.

quote:

Sherrill Levitt, her daughter Suzie Streeter, and Suzie's friend Stacy McCall vanished on June 7, 1992, in Springfield, Missouri. On June 6, 1992, Stacy, 18, and Suzie, 19, graduated from Kickapoo High School. They had planned to go to White Water, a water park in Branson, Missouri, the following day. The two girls planned to stay at another friend's house but changed their minds when the house became too crowded with out-of-town relatives. After a graduation party, the two girls arrived at Sherrill and Suzie's house at around 2:00 am. Earlier, Sherill had called a friend and was busy painting a chest of drawers at around 11:30 that night. That was the last time any of the three women were heard from. A month later, photos surfaced showing what appeared to be Sherill being tortured.

[url=http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dog+vision+http%3A%2F%2Fgoatse.info%2Fhello.jpg]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three[/url

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Steampunk iPhone posted:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dog+vision+http%3A%2F%2Fgoatse.info%2Fhello.jpg

Hilarious.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Steampunk iPhone posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three

You know, there was a time when I liked your posts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know what's fresh and rad? You can make one url look like another one. It will never get old and everyone will love you.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

At least this time he was kind enough to warn us that the link isn't work-safe.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
retard free link:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three

Edit: it's not that exciting by the way

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Literally Kermit posted:

You know, there was a time when I liked your posts.

I guess he had to pick up a new gimmick once the mods got tired of his "recommend LSD to everyone in E/N" thing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do you guys like dolls?

Do you guys like HAUNTED dolls? :unsmigghh:

Of course you do! Who doesn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_(doll)
This handsome fucker was the inspiration behind Chucky from Child's Play and its many sequels.

Wikipedia posted:

Supposedly, Eugene was given the doll in 1906 by a Bahamian servant who was skilled in black magic and voodoo and was displeased with the family. Soon afterward, the family supposed that there was something eerie about the doll. Eugene's parents often heard him talking to the doll and supposed that the doll spoke back. Although at first they assumed that Eugene was simply answering himself in a changed voice, they claimed to have later realized that the doll was actually speaking.

Neighbors claimed to have seen the doll moving from window to window when the family was out. Sometimes the doll would emit a terrifying giggle, and the Otto family caught glimpses of it running from room to room. In the night Eugene would scream, and when his parents ran to the room, they would find furniture knocked over and Eugene in bed, looking incredibly scared, telling them that "Robert did it!". In addition, guests claim to have seen Robert's expression change before their eyes and he often blinked.

When Eugene died in 1974, the doll was left in the attic until the house was bought again. The new family included a ten-year old girl, who became Robert's new owner. It was not long before the girl began screaming out in the night, claiming that Robert moved about the room and even attempted to attack her on multiple occasions. More than thirty years later, she still tells interviewers that the doll was alive and wanted to kill her.

Hand-crafted haunted dolls not your thing? Perhaps you'd prefer something you could buy today at a Toys R Us today? No problem, Ms. "Raggedy" Annabelle got ya covered!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annabelle_(doll)
She's the inspiration behind Annabelle from the movie of the same name, and The Conjuring.

Unlike Robert, Raggedy Annabelle is considered dangerous enough that her current owners have her sitting in a special glass case tight enough to restrict her little doll limbs. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, you gotta at least respect something that people are scared enough of to put it in a loving TOY CAGE.

Wikipedia posted:

The doll was given as a gift in the 1970s to 28-year-old nursing student, Donna. It was purchased at a second-hand Raggedy Ann store. Donna’s roommate, Angie, was the first to notice strange occurrences in the doll. She purported that the doll would move on its own sometimes crossing its arms or legs. Both noticed that sometimes doors which had been left open would close when no one was home. The roommates also found notes with the words "Help Us" written.

A spirit medium was hired and believed the spirit of a seven-year-old girl named Annabelle Higgins who died on the property possessed the doll. However, Annabelle later became malevolent and attacked a mutual friend named Lou.

Angie and Donna hired Ed and Lorraine Warren, two established demonologists, to investigate. The Warrens claimed the doll was possessed not by a spirit, but a demon. A priest was hired to exorcise the apartment and the doll was taken by the Warrens and placed in a museum with the sign, "WARNING: Positively Do Not Touch".

One day I wanna put Robert and Annabelle in the same room together with a bunch of hidden cameras and see what happens. Maybe turn the lights down low, play Mister Luther Vandross on the stereo... :smugmrgw:

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Feb 5, 2015

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

Angie and Donna hired Ed and Lorraine Warren, two established demonologists, to investigate

I read that as dermatologists, and wondered why a couple of people specializing in skin care knew so much about possession.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Endbringer posted:

I read that as dermatologists, and wondered why a couple of people specializing in skin care knew so much about possession.

The Eczemist

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Steampunk iPhone posted:

[url=http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dog+vision+http%3A%2F%2Fgoatse.info%2Fhello.jpg]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three[/url

literally 15 year old jokes

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ozz81 posted:

At least microdick would be honest when he says only the tip will go in

Can I have more?
.....no

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The Endbringer posted:

Let's be honest, dermatologists probably know exactly as much about possession as the demonologists.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Polaron posted:

Let's be honest, dermatologists probably know exactly as much about possession as the demonologists.

I'm sorry you don't believe in fun things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Polaron posted:

But they don't know half as much about fleecing rubes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Polaron posted:

Ed and Lorraine Warren are pretty notorious for being involved in several cases that were pretty clearly hoaxes, the most famous being Amityville. Usually if they're involved (or just Lorraine now since Ed's dead) it's pretty safe to just assume it's either complete or exaggerated bullshit even if you actually believe in something like demonology or the paranormal in in the first place.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Here's a guy who was wrapped up in all kinds of weird poo poo: he was supposedly involved with the JFK shooting, he murdered and dismembered his parents, then disappeared completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers_%28murder_suspect%29

e: I'd never heard of this Three Tramps thing before this article, but it fits in pretty well with the apophenia article from a few pages ago (like most of the JFK conspiracy stuff). Three random vagrants getting arrested in Dealey Plaza on 11-22-63? They must be the ones who did it!

RNG has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RNG posted:

e: I'd never heard of this Three Tramps thing before this article, but it fits in pretty well with the apophenia article from a few pages ago (like most of the JFK conspiracy stuff). Three random vagrants getting arrested in Dealey Plaza on 11-22-63? They must be the ones who did it!

One of which some claim was Woody Harrelson's father, an assassin.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

One of which some claim was Woody Harrelson's father, an assassin.

One of the weirdest things to me is the sheer number of people willing to confess to a crime they didn't commit. To the point where a confession isn't even close to a guarantee. I guess some people will take infamy if they cannot have fame.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Harrelson's false confession to killing JFK is more understandable (murderer brags about having committed more famous murder) than most. This guy "confessing" to having killed JonBenét Ramseywas weird as hell.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe we should change the subject.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned on the first or last few pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man) (slightly :nms: for photo of an old faceless dude)

Raymond Robinson, also known as "the Green Man", was the victim of an electrical accident as a young child that caused him to lose most of his face, including his nose, both eyeballs, and one of his outer ears. His appearance in public scared people so badly that he pretty much stopped leaving his house except to go on walks around his neighborhood at night (he was called "the Green Man" because he apparently glowed in the dark as a result of the accident).

Despite his scary appearance, he was reportedly an awesome dude, if a little shy because of his condition. He was a super nice guy who was well-liked by everybody that knew him. Sometimes he'd even pose for pictures with strangers in exchange for beers. :cheers:

Weird...I've heard about this for years and only just realised the man lived in the area I just moved to. The 'haunted' tunnel linked in the article is really close by. My husband says he used to go there all the time as a kid. I've always liked this story because it's one of those rare urban legends that turned out to be (somewhat) true.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

Harrelson's false confession to killing JFK is more understandable (murderer brags about having committed more famous murder) than most. This guy "confessing" to having killed JonBenét Ramseywas weird as hell.

John Mark Karr is weird. Dude has three sons, John, Damon, and Seven Exodus. Which I found out because of a creepy(but really good) song named about John Mark. I've always wondered what the gently caress that song was about because I'd google Seven Exodus and find a little bit about Seven Exodus Karr, but now that I know all this about his father, it makes way more sense. I guess they just named it after the subject's son because it was a badass name.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Feb 8, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Jon Benet's murder was incredibly well publicized/famous too, with the added bonus of still being an unsolved mystery case. If you were a weirdo looking for notoriety and didn't mind being known as a child murderer, I can't think of a better crime to confess to except maybe Lindbergh (too old) or Madeleine McCann or something.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

People do realize that the Lindberg baby was killed by his uncle, right? Because drat there are a lot of people who seem to think it's still some grand unsolved mystery from the past.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The Jon Benet case has always bothered me. How could the body have been in the house the whole time, unless the parents/brother did it? I just don't get what the cops were doing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FourLeaf posted:

unless the parents/brother did it? I just don't get what the cops were doing.

I hate to sound :tinfoil: here but I can't help but think it's a textbook case of being able to literally get away with murder if you're white/rich enough.

Buh
May 17, 2008

People do realize that the Lindberg baby was killed by his uncle, right? Because drat there are a lot of people who seem to think it's still some grand unsolved mystery from the past.

Wanna provide an article that spells out why this is so obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Uh, the Lindbergh baby was almost certainly killed by Richard Hauptman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hauptmann

The evidence against him is pretty stacked.