Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Normally it takes around half a split before certain games featuring certain teams become unwatchable but GMB & DIG are already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
lol rek'sai

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
wonder how much h2k paid for ryu

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
In the NA Summer Playoffs last year Curse surrendered their first game against C9. I imagine it's more about how there's always a chance for throws and given that this is pro you should play it out for any chance at a win than anything Riot says. If pros gave a gently caress about Riot's vision of the game we would never see lane swaps/fast pushing.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
quickshot talks so much poo poo, bring back joe and deman ughhhh

Astrognome
Jun 2, 2011
Baron and Dragon 5, even Gambit can close this out, right? Maybe?

Who am I kidding there's still 15 minutes left in this game. Sigh.

Edit: Miracle of miracles!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

we did it boyz, 1-5

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
the mosc0-5 dream is dead

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Lightning Knight posted:

In the NA Summer Playoffs last year Curse surrendered their first game against C9. I imagine it's more about how there's always a chance for throws and given that this is pro you should play it out for any chance at a win than anything Riot says.

Yeah there are always a few surrenders per season, nobody's said there aren't. It has nothing to do with there always being a chance to win, because sometimes there really isn't.

Or say you go 0-4 and lose a late game Baron with one inhib down and mid T3 at 50% health? No LoL team would *ever* surrender there, instead waiting patiently for the 40-50 or so seconds it takes for the enemy team to go kill the Nexus. You don't see that in other games for a reason, it's a waste of time for the pros and for the spectators it's a dumb anticlimax to the game-ending fight compared to the casters flipping out over the GG on all chat. (obviously, Riot casters never say "gg" either, which is probably intentional. e: maybe they do sometimes? I can't tell if I'm making this up but it'd be weird if they don't considering it's eSports)

quote:

If pros gave a gently caress about Riot's vision of the game we would never see lane swaps/fast pushing.
This is kind of a different thing.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 6, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Luna Was Here posted:

wonder how much h2k paid for ryu
enough to maintain his weight

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Some of the things quikshot says are absolutely astounding when you consider how long he's been casting league professionally.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sexpansion posted:

Some of the things quikshot says are absolutely astounding when you consider how long he's been casting league professionally.
I tuned him out last season since EU games were a slog to watch but he's so wrong about so many things, he's worse than Rivington ever was at misinformation.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
on one side of the spectrum you have deficio, who seems to know absolutely everything and gives out so much insight

then you have quickshot, literally just making random poo poo up

mental

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

on one side of the spectrum you have deficio, who seems to know absolutely everything and gives out so much insight

mental
He's the reason I know that knockups drop all the armor/mr from the scuttlecrab, which made it a whole lot easier to take while jungling. Phreak is just as knowledgable too, and such a math wizard.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

On one hand I commend Riot for sticking with their casters for so long. On the other hand 90% of them are garbage and nobody really likes listening to them. At least Phreak will go to extremes to make dumb puns, everyone else is just white noise.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lovechop posted:

mental
quickshot is garbage, especially his memespouting during fights. Ugh I can't stand him as a games caster.

I miss Joe. :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ihki posted:

Yeah there are always a few surrenders per season, nobody's said there aren't. It has nothing to do with there always being a chance to win, because sometimes there really isn't.

Or say you go 0-4 and lose a late game Baron with one inhib down and mid T3 at 50% health? No LoL team would *ever* surrender there, instead waiting patiently for the 40-50 or so seconds it takes for the enemy team to go kill the Nexus. You don't see that in other games for a reason, it's a waste of time for the pros and for the spectators it's a dumb anticlimax to the game-ending fight compared to the casters flipping out over the GG on all chat. (obviously, Riot casters never say "gg" either, which is probably intentional. e: maybe they do sometimes? I can't tell if I'm making this up but it'd be weird if they don't considering it's eSports)

That wasn't really what I was thinking of when talking about surrendering, if they did at that point it would probably come across as poor form/sore losing, from a viewer's perspective.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Quickshot is what you need to be to keep a job as a Riot caster. An occasional ARAM player who last played ranked in S3.

Lightning Knight posted:

That wasn't really what I was thinking of when talking about surrendering, if they did at that point it would probably come across as poor form/sore losing, from a viewer's perspective.
Why? If it probably did that, then someone should react that way in every other game where it goes without saying.Or in SC2 where not letting your opponent destroy your base at the end would be thought of as rude.

But I was talking about an alternative ("or") to a situation where you're simply 10k gold and a Baron down with three dead at 35 minutes against a late game team comp, just about to lose two inhibs.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 6, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The thing about surrendering in LCS is that if we've been shown anything, it's that every team always has the chance to throw in a huge way doing something dumb 10k up (Looking at you Coast) so there's no reason to surrender. In a Bo3/5 format, you can surrender early to save the psychological strain of being slowly picked off when you've decided on what you're doing next game.

I don't think Riot frowns upon it, there's just not any good reason to do it.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Even the best players in the world can blow up their own command center, after all. They probably are talking while the base goes down as well.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ihki posted:

I think part of it is how little an edge there needs to be to create a decisive, game winning gold margin. The statistic (I think from S3) was teams with a 10% gold margin at the 20 minute mark win 90% of the time. Even if that's not quite right, it's illustrative. If it's 27.5k to 25k, that's a usually-insurmountable margin to come back even though if it was evenly spread across the team that's a doran's item and a potion per person more or less. If you were in solo queue you wouldn't say "Wrap it up guys that guy has 2 doran's with his IE and I only have 1" because that doesn't feel at all out of control.

I've watched enough Korean Champions to know when Monte gets that resigned tone to his voice that one team is building a train to victory, even though I'm sometimes puzzled because it's like a 1.5k gold lead he's usually right. But it's still a really close game! No reason to surrender, because it doesn't seem illogical to come back. Generally the really big gold leads that take forever to end is because some of these players are so risk-averse. I wonder if some of that comes from not being able to accurately assess just how far ahead or behind they really are? Strong teams in Korean and the LPL who know they are ahead end the game. The stronger teams in the West (at least in NA, TSM and C9 in previous times) also have decent enough game sense to methodically close a game.

The teams that are ahead can inch their way to victory because it's safe, and the teams that are behind have no reason to give up because if you catch 2 dudes wandering around the map for an inexplicable reason you can rush an inhibitor or possibly win.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
200% of 0 is still 0, caster guy

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I hope MYM wins just to punish Roccat for playing the exact same strategy two games in a row. That said, MYM sucks really bad so they probably won't.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I have no clue how a region famed for its indecisiveness/risk aversion has come to such a consensus that top two supports are Leona and Annie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Crazy Larry posted:

I have no clue how a region famed for its indecisiveness/risk aversion has come to such a consensus that top two supports are Leona and Annie.

Because once you've accrued your 15k gold lead, and properly poked the enemy down to 25% health, you need to be ready for the potential opening of 4 or more members of the enemy team grouping up so you can land your game winning wombo.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Because once you've accrued your 15k gold lead, and properly poked the enemy down to 25% health, you need to be ready for the potential opening of 4 or more members of the enemy team grouping up so you can land your game winning wombo.

Haha, now I have this image in my head of this happening and an Annie flashing in for the TIbbers engage and accidentally getting a quadra kill.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This game is boring as gently caress.

Even Deficio is exasperated.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Badfinger posted:

I think part of it is how little an edge there needs to be to create a decisive, game winning gold margin. The statistic (I think from S3) was teams with a 10% gold margin at the 20 minute mark win 90% of the time.
The teams that are ahead can inch their way to victory because it's safe, and the teams that are behind have no reason to give up because if you catch 2 dudes wandering around the map for an inexplicable reason you can rush an inhibitor or possibly win.

You're right, but there is a difference between a 10%, 1% and less than 0.1% (0% with a fair confidence) chance to win. The former two still need to be player out, the latter is what we see surrendered in League a couple of times a year. They happen often, many in spots that make lovely boring games last longer than needed. That these games being surrendered in other competitive MOBAs or SC2* seems to be an alien concept to some posters is proof that there is something unusual with the scene. I guess the novel concept I'm trying to introduce here is that when you've lost the game, you have a reason to quit. Unless you're playing Coast or CW or something, which is hardly standard.

*where people have (often famously) surrendered games they're winning for the other side of the coin

How can Roccat be so thoroughly dull and unimpressive even in victory, I used to like them too :sigh:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

only in eu lcs can a team that is 10k gold ahead massively lose a team fight thus prolonging an alraedy boring game

I think this jungle nidalee is coming to roost at this point in the game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
EU lcs team fight at its finest

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Lmao at Mimer dying too fast to ult or Zhonya.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

NM classic baron throw

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I think that push on the second inhibitor really exemplifies the difference between the top teams and the lower tier teams - with the mid inhibitor down Roccat went to push top while bot lane was pushing out against them. Teams like last years Samsung squads would have sent someone to bottom lane to make sure that lane was pushing in their favor before taking top inhib so that they could instantly rotate over to bot lane after taking the top inhibitor.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

This game is boring as gently caress.

Even Deficio is exasperated.

This is what you get for watching EU LCS.

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012
What an excellent baron call! :downs:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Okay guys, UoL HYPE

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ihki posted:

You're right, but there is a difference between a 10%, 1% and less than 0.1% (0% with a fair confidence) chance to win. The former two still need to be player out, the latter is what we see surrendered in League a couple of times a year. They happen often, many in spots that make lovely boring games last longer than needed. That these games being surrendered in other competitive MOBAs or SC2* seems to be an alien concept to some posters is proof that there is something unusual with the scene. I guess the novel concept I'm trying to introduce here is that when you've lost the game, you have a reason to quit. Unless you're playing Coast or CW or something, which is hardly standard.

*where people have (often famously) surrendered games they're winning for the other side of the coin

How can Roccat be so thoroughly dull and unimpressive even in victory, I used to like them too :sigh:

Oh sure. I'm not saying never surrender. I am find with a surrender option in all forms of play. I'm just saying 1) the game is often actually over way before it "feels" like it is which can definitely feel like games are being dragged out, and 2) I don't know that many of the players actually have a true sense of how far behind they are (or ahead, see point 1) so that they actually do what you're advocating (and I agree with), or that the team could form a consensus. ESPECIALLY in a single game win/loss format.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
we're never gonna see urgot are we

theshim
May 1, 2012

boriiinnnnnng :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Is Reksai already nerfed on this patch? Not sure why you would pick Lee Sin over her.

• Locked thread