Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Ties into our recruiting thread discussion but that is a name where you're forever allowed to wear seersucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

I bet you could literally kill an academic from the middle of the 19th century if you described a college to them from now

They'd probably die from shock at all the dirty poors that were allowed to attend anyway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I bet you could literally kill an academic from the middle of the 19th century if you described a college to them from now

Most large universities have become upper-middle-class status symbols rather than institutions of higher learning.

"Yeah, well, Middleton's dorm has a swimming pool and a racketball court." :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

The whole system of electives and student selection of courses was pioneered by Charles Eliot at Harvard starting in 1870 or so and was rapidly adopted everywhere in the next 20 years. He basically invented the modern university.

So someone from the mid-19th century would find it edgy but not especially revolutionary. It would largely recognizable as what was being discussed in academic circles at that time.

Student behavior wouldn't surprise them in the least. College presidents at the time spent a lot of time smoothing over relations with the local towns and bailing their students out of jail for drunk and disorderly conduct.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

Most large universities have become upper-middle-class status symbols rather than institutions of higher learning.

"Yeah, well, Middleton's dorm has a swimming pool and a racketball court." :smug:

Wisconsin in particular is going hard against the higher learning bit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My question is why Thad Turnipseed doesn't go by Thaddeus Turnipseed

All-in bro

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I feel like this class of entering freshmen isn't quite bringing the names the way last year's did. Or maybe it's just that a bunch of good ones went to major schools so they've been floating long enough to lose their impact. Some of my faves:

Bry'Kiethon Mouton (LSU)
Stone Wolfley (WVU)
Ray-Ray McCloud III (Clemson)
Devonaire Clarington (Texas)
Bill Murray (William & Mary)
Michael Tarbutt (UConn)
D'Anfernee McGriff (Florida)
Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame)
SoSo Jamabo (UCLA)
Quarvez Boulware (Maryland)
Lyrics Klugh (Towson)

and the winner:

Q'Drennan (New Mexico). That is the whole name. Q'Drennan.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Declan MacManus posted:

My question is why Thad Turnipseed doesn't go by Thaddeus Turnipseed

All-in bro

Blue Mountain State has established Thad as a quintessentially college football name and I expect anyone connected with the field who can go by that name to do so.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Campus shootings are the worst. The surreal nature of seeing a place you love made into the site of some awful poo poo is deeply unsettling for anyone that can associate with that place.

On the other hand campus katana attacks are just kinda funny.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

I feel like this class of entering freshmen isn't quite bringing the names the way last year's did. Or maybe it's just that a bunch of good ones went to major schools so they've been floating long enough to lose their impact. Some of my faves:

Bry'Kiethon Mouton (LSU)
Stone Wolfley (WVU)
Michael Tarbutt (UConn)
SoSo Jamabo (UCLA)
Lyrics Klugh (Towson)

and the winner:

It was the year of the repeating first name:

SoSo Jamabo
KeKe Coutee
JoJo Wicker
CeeCee Jefferson

and so on.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had to look up a spectacular name like Equanimeous and the full name is even better

quote:

St. Brown is a near lock given his unique first name alone, but his full name is even more distinct: Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. He has two brothers -- one a prospect in the class of 2017 who already has two Division I scholarship offers -- who are equals on the nomenclature hierarchy. There is Osiris Adrian Amen-Ra J. St. Brown, 16, and Amon-Ra Julian Heru J. St. Brown, 14.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nachos posted:

I had to look up a spectacular name like Equanimeous and the full name is even better

holy poo poo that rules

I hope ND's PA guy uses that full name.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Thermos H Christ posted:

Bry'Kiethon Mouton (LSU)
Stone Wolfley (WVU)
Michael Tarbutt (UConn)
SoSo Jamabo (UCLA)
Lyrics Klugh (Towson)

and the winner:

Simba Short to Northwestern is one of my favorites in a while. Now if only we could play against eastern Michigan so it could be Simba and Lion King in the same game.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Charlz Guybon posted:

This name can't be real :stare:

It is most definitely a real last name. I have a relation that we call Mama Turnipseed (Mama pronounced like ma'am not mom).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Bill Murray is generating the most chuckle for me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

pugnax posted:

Bill Murray is generating the most chuckle for me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Deteriorata posted:

Student behavior wouldn't surprise them in the least. College presidents at the time spent a lot of time smoothing over relations with the local towns and bailing their students out of jail for drunk and disorderly conduct.

They wouldn't have been surprised by student behavior in the middle ages.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT signed not one but two kids named Adonis and a kid named Mook Reynolds.

Mook will probably play this year and is likely the next big thing at CB for VT which should end up making him a household name. Plus it's a lot of fun to say.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Combine invitations out

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-invite-list/

ESPN wasn't kidding about fsu Louisville having the most prospects on the field. drat. Miami and Florida have a good showing

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

Combine invitations out

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-invite-list/

ESPN wasn't kidding about fsu Louisville having the most prospects on the field. drat. Miami and Florida have a good showing

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are the only 2 Big XII schools without a player receiving an invite.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nachos posted:

Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. He has two brothers -- one a prospect in the class of 2017 who already has two Division I scholarship offers -- who are equals on the nomenclature hierarchy. There is Osiris Adrian Amen-Ra J. St. Brown, 16, and Amon-Ra Julian Heru

What the hell? Is one of his parents an Egyptologist or Pharonic priest?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Combine invitations out

Looking at the UGA prospects, I think all of those guys could play Sundays. No real surprises from other schools

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell? Is one of his parents an Egyptologist or Pharonic priest?

His father was a world-class body builder. His mother is German. All 3 kids are fluent in French and German as well.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Do you know any other guys called Q'Drennan? No need for a last name.

Sounds like a World of Warcraft mini-boss.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Combine invitations out

Weird position naming thing going on there, is that the way the NFL does things at the combine and I've never noticed? OH and OB threw me off until I found some guys that I knew off the top of my head what they played.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm surprised Gardner didn't make it in as a WR to see what he could do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Glad Trinca-Pasat got an invite. He got overshadowed by Davis, but he had a really good year and has some upside as a 3-4 DE

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are the only 2 Big XII schools without a player receiving an invite.

Does either team even have that many people leaving?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

lamentable dustman posted:

It is the brain child of our director of recruiting Thad Turnipseed (GOAT name)

The hated cousin of Johnny Appleseed

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn is spending $14m to build the biggest video board.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn is spending $14m to build the biggest video board.
The biggest video board in college football. :smug:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Questioned whether this was some lame dick measuring thing(well, yea, it is) or whether they actually needed it and they're about middle of the country for those things so it's probably a long overdue upgrade.

Also how do programs like Clemson and Bama have these teeny-tiny boards that are only a few years old? UNC hasn't updated theirs in over a decade :stare:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Bama opted for more seats instead of a giant rear end video board.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

Also how do programs like Clemson and Bama have these teeny-tiny boards that are only a few years old? UNC hasn't updated theirs in over a decade :stare:

Bryant-Denny Stadium has so many seats I have to question where they could put larger video screens. Surely if you put a supermassive board at the top of the nosebleed seats sections then you'd run into wind issues. Take a look at these two images I pulled from Google image search and you'll see what I mean. I do love the in-state rivalry and the spending that goes on down there.

tldr; Auburn has the room left to opt for a huge video screen over seating, but Alabama doesn't.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Well this break has been kind of nice but I'm about ready for football to start again. Surely it can't be long now.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

LLCoolJD posted:

Bryant-Denny Stadium

Cutest little stadium in the whole conference

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Cutest little stadium in the whole conference

Least we got a field instead of the airlifted remains of a WW2 minefield suspended over a patch of sinkholes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The NCAA just lost its appeal to keep its emails and documents sealed in the McNair case. This is the USC lawsuit, where the judge, who originally blocked the sealing, said that they “tend to show ill will or hatred." So should be fun, though I'm sure the NCAA will keep appealing this til the end of time.

EDIT: Now with the actual decision:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B245475.PDF

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 7, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The whole system of electives and student selection of courses was pioneered by Charles Eliot at Harvard starting in 1870 or so and was rapidly adopted everywhere in the next 20 years. He basically invented the modern university.

So someone from the mid-19th century would find it edgy but not especially revolutionary. It would largely recognizable as what was being discussed in academic circles at that time.

More like ...when Penn State was built, it was put as far from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as possible, in a place with no town, so there was nothing to distract you from your book learning and military drilling.

Now they're all like we need a putt-putt course and a chocolate waterfall and maybe a go-kart track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

The NCAA just lost its appeal to keep its emails and documents sealed in the McNair case. This is the USC lawsuit, where the judge, who originally blocked the sealing, said that they “tend to show ill will or hatred." So should be fun, though I'm sure the NCAA will keep appealing this til the end of time.

EDIT: Now with the actual decision:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B245475.PDF

I feel like this is one of those "get your popcorn ready" moments once the emails actually see the light of day

• Locked thread