Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
As low of a point for him as that was, it was obvious he was mostly doing it cause she looked like his old flame who left him. I don't remember if he ever expresses guilt over that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

havenwaters posted:

It wasn't built yet. Random internet Q&A says that finding/retrieving the plans to the Millenium Tower may be part of the plot of Yakuza 0 though.
This makes me think of the Death Star plans. "Millennium Tower has too many goons for a direct assault by big guys, so we'll send Kiryu in. If he can fight his way up this trenchstaircase and get a direct hit on the exhaust portevil Yakuza chairman, it'll start a chain reaction that will destroy the entire stationbuilding. Again."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Can I decrease the amount of random and inescapable battles in Yakuza 4 by lowering the already obscenely easy difficulty level of Hard to Easy, or will there be an item that lets me completely skip random battles before I get on my second character arc? Because this is driving me insane

Yak5 does it better right? Ishin gave you the ability to run, sprint away, you could also pick fights on purpose. This is close to a walk five steps Final Fantasy horror at times, other times I run several blocks without getting anybody angry.

e: Ishin on Easy requires more from the player than Yak4 on hard and f these random battles. Running away, dodging the few that can be dodged.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 6, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can spot thugs in the traffic and run behind their backs, but not too close.

The reward for 100% the lockers is an item disabling random fights, but I'm not sure you can do it early, and you don't want to open one locker until Taiga's chapter. He needs some sacred tree or something to advance through his boulder-punching training.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

SelenicMartian posted:

You can spot thugs in the traffic and run behind their backs, but not too close.

The reward for 100% the lockers is an item disabling random fights, but I'm not sure you can do it early, and you don't want to open one locker until Taiga's chapter. He needs some sacred tree or something to advance through his boulder-punching training.

It's sacred ash, he needs it to make a sacred pickaxe. Because.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eventually you get really good at spotting the random dudes in crowds who just stand there looking threatening and can either avoid them, or just pass by at a far enough distance to where they can't catch up with you at all. There are also some equippable items that decrease the amount of dudes who come after you, although that might be one of the bonus Utsonomiya items.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Crappy Jack posted:

Eventually you get really good at spotting the random dudes in crowds who just stand there looking threatening and can either avoid them, or just pass by at a far enough distance to where they can't catch up with you at all. There are also some equippable items that decrease the amount of dudes who come after you, although that might be one of the bonus Utsonomiya items.

They're not that difficult to find for the most part. They're the ones who don't bother moving and stand in the middle of the street.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's pretty trivial to get an item that reduces random encounters, I managed to get a smelly scarf or whatever out of a locker pretty early on, and I want to say there's a place you can buy them, but I don't remember where.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't played 4 yet, but if it's like the others yeah a few hours in you learn to spot those dudes and you basically never have to get into fights if you don't want to.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Once you sort of reach the expected level for where you are in the story the random encounters fall off a lot, to the point of almost stopping completely.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm about finished with the first character, the game is still a huge dick about random battles compared to the pleasing experience that Ishin was :argh:
Would make the VLP Ishin deserves if I had time, co-commentator and HD space

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
My copy of 1&2 HD just arrived.

Things are happening.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

MrLonghair posted:

I'm about finished with the first character, the game is still a huge dick about random battles compared to the pleasing experience that Ishin was :argh:
Would make the VLP Ishin deserves if I had time, co-commentator and HD space

You will run around Kamurocho so much that you'll know all the spots the random thugs appear in. Plus they only have 3 or 4 different character models so, yeah, you learn to spot them pretty quickly, too.

Once you get to Tanimura though, you'll want to fight as many people as possible because jumping up on a dude's shoulder and breaking his arm mid-fight is awesome. Or throw them into walls face first as Saejima, or or or...Actually, go get drunk and fight as many people as possible.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Jamesman posted:

My copy of 1&2 HD just arrived.

Things are happening.

I think you independently had the same idea I had. My copy came in a couple weeks ago...

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
drat it. I was having fun with Yakuza 2 for a while, but now the input delay is becoming a real nuisance at the end. It's absolutely infuriating to see Kiryu always attacking in the wrong direction and reacting incorrectly to button presses that I did near the end of my combo.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Really loving 3 so far. The minigames are incredibly well done and fun to do compared to the half-assed way that Rockstar's always done them. I haven't minded the "help find the dog" and "find the stolen pocket change" quests in this beat-em-up crime game, it establishes a "normal" kind of life so when poo poo jumps off you know it. It's been way easier to get into fighting in this game after playing Sleeping Dogs, the heat moves are just the most fun thing in video games.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Nevermind, may as well just play 4.I don't really have infinite time anyway.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 7, 2015

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
How difficult is it to play ishin if you don't understand Japanese? Been thinking of getting it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Impossible? I mean it's a text heavy RPG, and there isn't a comprehensive guide or anything as far as I'm aware.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggishinstorywalkthrough.html :v:

You'll get your storybits from the guide and having a bit of a sixth sense for putting two and two together, the gameplay is golden and easy to figure out. Try the demo from Japanese PSN first.

Google translate with these for what khhsubs doesn't cover http://kouryakutsushin.com/ryu-ishin/ http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/ryu_ishin/ in crafting and stuff.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

RedLobster posted:

How difficult is it to play ishin if you don't understand Japanese? Been thinking of getting it.

Unless you really, really, really like the battle system that sounds insanely boring. Plus the thing about not really knowing how to progress.

Then again, when I was in middle school I played through Pokemon Gold in Japanese for whatever reason despite not at all understanding it.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

So far, Dead Souls is way better than I have been led to believe. It's a fun story coupled with actually pretty competent zombie shooting gameplay, as well as some nice Resident Evil style bosses. Plus, Majima is fantastic.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

MrLonghair posted:

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggishinstorywalkthrough.html :v:

You'll get your storybits from the guide and having a bit of a sixth sense for putting two and two together, the gameplay is golden and easy to figure out. Try the demo from Japanese PSN first.

Google translate with these for what khhsubs doesn't cover http://kouryakutsushin.com/ryu-ishin/ http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/ryu_ishin/ in crafting and stuff.

There was a full blown guide around for Ishin. I'll dig it up, but there was even a PDF for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yes, that guide also has other stuff for Ishin.

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Unit24 posted:

So far, Dead Souls is way better than I have been led to believe. It's a fun story coupled with actually pretty competent zombie shooting gameplay, as well as some nice Resident Evil style bosses. Plus, Majima is fantastic.

I think it's super underrated.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I think it's super underrated.
Maybe the demo was way worse than the actual game, because the mechanics in it were not competent in any way, shape or form. It's one reason I was so shocked when I played Binary Domain later and it WAS competent.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe the demo was way worse than the actual game, because the mechanics in it were not competent in any way, shape or form. It's one reason I was so shocked when I played Binary Domain later and it WAS competent.

It's a little clunky at first, but it actually functions pretty well. There haven't been many times where I've messed up and felt like the controls were the problem. My only big complaint is that I can't make the character snap towards the direction the camera is facing.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Unit24 posted:

It's a little clunky at first, but it actually functions pretty well. There haven't been many times where I've messed up and felt like the controls were the problem. My only big complaint is that I can't make the character snap towards the direction the camera is facing.

I liked the story well enough but I really don't like the shooting mechanics. Could never get a hang of them, something was always off.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Really loving 3 so far. The minigames are incredibly well done and fun to do compared to the half-assed way that Rockstar's always done them. I haven't minded the "help find the dog" and "find the stolen pocket change" quests in this beat-em-up crime game, it establishes a "normal" kind of life so when poo poo jumps off you know it. It's been way easier to get into fighting in this game after playing Sleeping Dogs, the heat moves are just the most fun thing in video games.

The problem is Rockstar and most sandbox games wont make it feel like a living city but a sick parody. United Front could have struck a deal with the hk companies to sell their bread as healing items. But instead all the stores were "generic joint" compared to GTA's parody

Hell you see official restaurants in its deliquent brother Kenka Banchou and it does give you rampages as an option as of Blood and Soul where you can fight cops

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Samurai Sanders posted:

It almost feels like the team at one point was making a third person shooter for the Saturn, abandoned the project, then decided to resume it for modern consoles without bothering to check if anyone had come up with better control schemes. I had a lot of fun with it, but I totally see how going in assuming that it would play anything like a modern tps could ruin the experience. Still, I'd recommend it for the Majima section alone, even if you don't like the control scheme very much.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Gao posted:

It almost feels like the team at one point was making a third person shooter for the Saturn, abandoned the project, then decided to resume it for modern consoles without bothering to check if anyone had come up with better control schemes. I had a lot of fun with it, but I totally see how going in assuming that it would play anything like a modern tps could ruin the experience. Still, I'd recommend it for the Majima section alone, even if you don't like the control scheme very much.

I did just that. It was worth it. Got to say that Majima is one of the reasons I am very much looking toward Zero (importing and will double dip if it comes over).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, Majima loving STOLE Dead Souls out from everyone.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, Majima loving STOLE Dead Souls out from everyone.

A man with a gatling gun for an arm just can't compare to Goro Majima cackling with glee upon realizing he's living in a zombie movie.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a fine art of abusing the aim-assist to headshot zombies. Basically you wanna look in the zombie's general direction, tap aim, and then fire to rack up headshots.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have 1&2 HD and could help me understand the menus? I don't read/understand Japanese. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone have 1&2 HD and could help me understand the menus? I don't read/understand Japanese. :(
Yeah I do, but I think you'd have to post pictures of the menus you're talking about for someone to help you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I do, but I think you'd have to post pictures of the menus you're talking about for someone to help you.

The HDD install and Option menus. Put the game in and hit start and I am now staring at my screen like I have brain damage. :(

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

The HDD install and Option menus. Put the game in and hit start and I am now staring at my screen like I have brain damage. :(

Take a picture with your phone or whatever. Come on, you're asking for help, don't make me boot up the stupid game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I wonder how useful apps like this would be for playing games. Has anyone ever tried it?

edit: oh doesn't support Japanese yet anyway haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

You know, I wonder how useful apps like this would be for playing games. Has anyone ever tried it?

edit: oh doesn't support Japanese yet anyway haha

My version does, works fine and well with candy-wrappers for a test. Samsung Galaxy S3 struggles with its camera though, so small print (back of import PS4 game cases for another test) don't work satisfactory.

• Locked thread