Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I'm also colorblind and the colors seem to contrast pretty well (unless there are more than 3 colors, because I only see 3). It would be worse if there were more than 3 colors, but it works okay when you can choose colors that contrast so much.

There is red, blue / grey, and yellow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I'm also colorblind and the colors seem to contrast pretty well (unless there are more than 3 colors, because I only see 3). It would be worse if there were more than 3 colors, but it works okay when you can choose colors that contrast so much.

The yellow and blue/grey don't contrast so much for me. Also, not everyone has the same kind of colorblindness. So I don't doubt that you're also colorblind, but us being differently colorblind probably explains why it's worse for me.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Crain posted:

Yeah, that the same old racism we always see. There's nothing to really retort about it. Mary Christmas is just looking for anyone and anything that calls Islam evil so any source you bring up will probably be called biased or worse he'll bring up Taqiyya and then you're just going to be playing No True Scotsman.

There's nothing to do here. Bud Jet has the right idea, nuke it from orbit.

So uh.....:staredog:

Good prediction on Taqiyya btw....Barry Cuda is Mary Christmas in the previous one

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
When he was advisor to the Afghan military, did he try advising them not to be Muslim?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Zeitgueist posted:

Good prediction on Taqiyya btw....Barry Cuda is Mary Christmas in the previous one

Guy just went the 'noble savage' route near the end.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the last calif was ended by.. Atatürk? Because if Atatürk was just a Muslim, and Muslims believe in the califate above nations, why did Atatürk abolish the last caliphate while founding the modern nation of Turkey? (That is if you're willing to ignore the centuries long time after the sack of baghdad where there were zero or multiple califs depending on who you asked). Why would he not continue to claim the caliphate that turkey had used as the symbol of its power for centuries? Not to mention how reminiscent that sounded of bigotry towards catholics (Al Smith will surrender the government to the pope!) not too long ago.

I just hate these people who say "do the research" but clearly haven't so much as read the wikipedia summary of the guys or events they are spouting off about.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Let's just ignore all those Greek massacres of Turks that were happening in Thrace at the same time in the brutal Greco-Turkish war, because of course only evil Muslims would do massacres.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cpt.Americant posted:

I just hate these people who say "do the research" but clearly haven't so much as read the wikipedia summary of the guys or events they are spouting off about.

"Doing the research" means reading from "real" sources that tell you the stories the mainstream media doesn't want you to hear.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
When my dad says "do the research" or "look at both sides" what he really means is "you need to listen to and read the same Very Serious People I do in the pages of the NYT and WSJ and on CNN and uncritically regurgitate what they say or else I won't listen to you." Don't bother telling him that progressive taxation doesn't work like he thinks it does, for instance, or that research indicates charter schools are a huge scam and far less cost-effective than just dumping more money into regular public schools.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Barrycuda has constructed a 'moderates vs. radicals' model of history. Straight up agree with him that Muslims should be reeducated because 'terror in defense of liberty is no vice'.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

If you feel like replying, I would ask for a citation on those Pew Research Center studies, because I can't find anything of the sort. Since that was the only thing Barry/Mary used to support their point (the rest was just selectively quoting history because they got butthurt over the mere suggestion that they were close-minded), I would just ignore the rest.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I was gonna compile all this poo poo that has been going on over Facebook and really the most succinct and entertaining way to tell you what happened is to show you this clip from Always Sunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bo6CKJcJM

Basically the guy in question was using the Mac defense.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah, this is one of those guys you just need to ignore, he's a brick wall. But if you are going to continue don't engage him beyond asking for sources, and spend the rest of your time arguing against his points for others benefit. If you're worried that he's just warping an echo chamber and want to keep your friend from falling for this poo poo then you need to focus on him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mo_Steel posted:

:glomp:

My wall has been quiet so far. Then there's this:

:confused: I'm not sure this is a thing that needs the support of a Facebook re-post spamathon. Are there people who are pro child abuse but who would have their mind changed by this image?

I remember when everyone changed their facebook profile picture to a cartoon character to raise awareness of child abuse.

Though apparently there are facebook groups that will post pretty innocuous things to get people to share it to raise their awareness and get more likes, then a few posts later they can post some truly hateful stuff now that they have a bigger audience. In my last post, I mentioned Britain First. They'll literally have posts of "Like this post if you think Princess Diana was amazing" or something along those lines (which, yeah most people loved Princess Di), then the next post will be how they need to kick all the Muslims out of England.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I got this today

In principle I like that the FCC commissioners consist of a california pinko, a black woman, a yankee jewess, an indian and an irish. It is as if the President went along and filled out a checklist of all the demographics white americans fear the most.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

I was gonna compile all this poo poo that has been going on over Facebook and really the most succinct and entertaining way to tell you what happened is to show you this clip from Always Sunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bo6CKJcJM

Basically the guy in question was using the Mac defense.

It's hilarious reading the comments where people defend Mac. God I need to watch the new season.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Tibeerius posted:

If you feel like replying, I would ask for a citation on those Pew Research Center studies, because I can't find anything of the sort. Since that was the only thing Barry/Mary used to support their point (the rest was just selectively quoting history because they got butthurt over the mere suggestion that they were close-minded), I would just ignore the rest.

I gotta say, i'm having fun with this

that's a tad snippy for somebody who's supposedly a subject matter expert getting asked for a citation :smugdog:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

that's a tad snippy for somebody who's supposedly a subject matter expert getting asked for a citation :smugdog:
I love how he doubled down on his Pew claim, only to admit he can't cite it two paragraphs later.

Offer to save him the time of "calling Pew" by simply linking to some of Pew's actual work on this topic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
We need a snappy rhyme for taqiyya, similar to "Around blacks, never relax"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

1stGear posted:

How do you actually pronounce it? Is it Tack-E-ya or Tacky-ya or what?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

1stGear posted:

In response to "ask your friends what Taqiyya is", "They said "The thing which an islamaphobe is going to try to bring up as much as possible"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

In response to "ask your friends what Taqiyya is", "They said "The thing which an islamaphobe is going to try to bring up as much as possible"

Really? Someone else posted that? That's great.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

1stGear posted:

Don't mix tequila and taqiyya.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't mix tequila and taqiyya.

One get's you bombed and...oh wait, so does the other.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Welp, pack it up America, ISIS has already invaded America and we're pretty much doomed because or our wussbag president.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

Welp, pack it up America, ISIS has already invaded America and we're pretty much doomed because or our wussbag president.

Mods, change my name to "Broken Record" cause I'm saying this again: It's literally McCarthyism.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Crain posted:

Really? Someone else posted that? That's great.

No, that was me being a jerk.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I think he's done for the weekend now

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

I think he's done for the weekend now

Wow, his sourcing has shifted from Pew Research Center to "Middle East Forum", an organization whose own mission statement reads:

quote:

The Middle East Forum promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats.

The Forum sees the region — with its profusion of dictatorships, radical ideologies, existential conflicts, border disagreements, corruption, political violence, and weapons of mass destruction — as a major source of problems for the United States. Accordingly, we urge bold measures to protect Americans and their allies.

In the Middle East, we focus on ways to defeat radical Islam; work for Palestinian acceptance of Israel; develop strategies to contain Iran; and deal with the great advances of anarchy.

At home, the Forum emphasizes the danger of lawful Islamism; protects the freedoms of anti-Islamist authors, activists, and publishers; and works to improve Middle East studies.
Clearly, an unbiased source on this topic, and comparable in reputation to Pew. Thank goodness this fellow was (allegedly) involved in foreign policy decision making! :suicide:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Tibeerius posted:

Thank goodness this fellow was (allegedly) involved in foreign policy decision making! :suicide:

Oh that's the best part...I have no doubt that's true

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Not to mention that ISIS isn't getting stronger, it's just getting more desperate as it loses ground.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

1stGear posted:

If they believe in taqiyya, they'll always attack ya. :happyelf:

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

I got this today

In principle I like that the FCC commissioners consist of a california pinko, a black woman, a yankee jewess, an indian and an irish. It is as if the President went along and filled out a checklist of all the demographics white americans fear the most.

On February 16th, 2015, O.B.A.M.A.NET (Orbital-Based Atheist Muslim Assault NET) was turned on. At 2:14 am it gained self-awareness, and the panicking operators tried to deactivate it...

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's a thinly veiled attack on net neutrality.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

On February 16th, 2015, O.B.A.M.A.NET (Orbital-Based Atheist Muslim Assault NET) was turned on. At 2:14 am it gained self-awareness, and the panicking operators tried to deactivate it...

...they were immediately innoculated against rubella. Their screams faded slowly as O.B.A.M.A.NET's power grew quickly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Axetrain posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a thinly veiled attack on net neutrality.

Yep. They attached Obama's name to something that already exists to try and make people hate it. Since you know that none of them are gonna google it for themself.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Crain posted:

How do you actually pronounce it? Is it Tack-E-ya or Tacky-ya or what?

I've been pronouncing it Ta-Key-Ah, and by that I mean reading it since I haven't seen someone cite it in the wild just people quoting Freep in that thread pretty much,

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Look at all this rape and murder that a Balkan leader ordered in the 1990s, this proves Islam is responsible!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Look at all this rape and murder that a Balkan leader ordered in the 1990s, this proves Islam is responsible!

lol this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not to take away from that ongoing bit of loveliness, but its time for This Week in LL101!

But why would you think an AMERICAN who wants to indiscriminately murder people was a bad person?

We're supposed to treat them like humans, and NOT laugh in their face? Also, Republican outreach is going fine.

Because the only thing stopping the gorvenment taking away all rights is this rock - I mean, this assault rifle.

Remember when Reagan told America about how government cost money and they should be adults and deal with their taxes going up?

And this is my raygun for fighting off the aliens. Make believe sure is fun.

Those dirty unvaccinated kids from countries with higher vaccination rates than the US.

These guys really never got the message that they landed control of congress, did they?

...that thinking being what? I seriously don't get the point of this.

ANYONE can go to these tourist spots or "Rome", but Muslims actually keep their sacred spot sacred. SO RACIST!

quote:

The ACLU didn’t like Tennessee’s law against teaching the theory of Evolution, so they went “chumming” for someone who’d be willing to break the law for them. They put ads in some Tennessee newspapers saying they’d pay the expense of any teacher willing to be their patsy (they probably used a different word). George Rappleyea, owned some mines in Dayton, Tennessee and figured the publicity would help the local economy, which would of course mean more money for him, so he called a meeting of some local business men. They talked John Scopes into volunteering as “the accused” and pretended that he’d been arrested. Scopes was a coach, not a biology teacher, but had subbed a couple of weeks for the real biology teacher. And he actually never taught Evolution, but then the truth wasn’t really something the group was all that interested in.

Most of the myth surrounding the Scopes Trial comes from the fictional play (which was eventually made into a movie), written by Jerome Lawrence. Jerome Lawrence was a practicing pedophile* and really, really hated Christians, because more than any other group they were the biggest danger to his lifestyle of abusing young boys. Lawrence also, didn’t really have much use for the truth, so what he eventually wrote barely resembled what really happened in Dayton, Tennessee during the trial.

Even though twelve different scientists and theologians made statements as part of the record presented by the defense, none of them were cross-examined. (in the play the defense was allowed no expert witnesses to defend Evolution). ACLU attorney Clarence Darrow offered fossil evidence to “prove” Evolution, but as usually happens, the wild claims Evolutionists make about tiny fragments of bones eventually proves to be … well, wild speculation. It didn’t seem to impress the court, and since then quite a bit of what Darrow considered “proof” has been exposed as either hoaxes or just plain silliness on the part of Evolutionists who claimed they could tell what, long extinct (and more often than not, fictional) animal a tiny bone fragment came from. It exposed the snake-oil aspects of the religion of Evolution, and the wisdom of the Tennessee law keeping that kind of nonsense out of a class about real science.

On May 5, 1924, the trial ended as Clarence Darrow, himself, asked for a guilty verdict. Remember, he was the defense attorney! But the ACLU’s goal was a guilty verdict, so they could then get more publicity by appealing it. It also prevented the prosecution from cross-examining Scopes. The last thing they wanted was for Williams Jennings Bryant to be allowed to make closing arguments. After the sentence was passed, Bryant, the lawyer for the prosecution, offered to pay Scopes’ fine.

Nowadays, the theory of Evolution is taught as a fact in government schools, and questioning it, is not allowed. The motto of modern education seems to be: “Hey! Who told you to think?!?”

“In the science, Evolution is a theory about changes; in the myth it is a fact about improvements.” — C. S. Lewis

*One of Lawrence’s “harem”, a teen prostitute during the 70s, now an ordained, episcopal priest is preparing an autobiography which should detail the lurid lifestyle Jerome Lawrence led. An earlier, unpublished autobiography, co-written by this author, contain many of the salient details.

Liberals distort the record and don't allow the REAL TRUE story. Where Jerome Lawrence was a pedophile because of a book thats not out by a person who totally, really exists we just can'y share his name.

Whereas the health system before, that was all about FREEDOM!

Like when a Wisonsin governor says he's going to make jobns, you shoul;d judge him by his jobs record?

Which is why he's totally been carpet bombing the former group and not the latter.

How DARE Obama criticize Jack Ryan for wanting to ahve sex with his wife....in a club...with a bunch of strangers. We in the GOP would NEVER attack someone for having sex.

And now we see their attempts to play damage control with "|See, Obama said it to", with a speech that leaves out he was pointing to a questioner when he said this person here, and was refering to the skyrocketing autism rate when he said the science wasn't clear. So, why won' the Lame Stream Media ignore the context like they do?

Of course, she's white - the cops won't shoot her kids.

What about all the times we DIDN'T say something monumentally retarded and actively dangerous? Why didn't that make news?

What would that sort of news even look like? "Perry resists urge to hurl feces at reporters".

Because you've been soooo very against cops breaking the law and haven't tried to justify it at all.

And now the "its no big deal" stage. Pfft, so a few kids will die, thats a bad thing?

"gee, I've made this thing into an insultingly simple analogy. Have I maybe left out details? Nah, it must be that everyone else is just so stupid and hasn't realised this yet!"

"I believe kids should do it, I just don't think kids should do it." Stunning follow through.

Notice the lack of any reference to a reason.

quote:

Once again the issue of immunization has reared it’s ugly head. Once again we have zealots accusing the other side of being zealots. It gets old really fast. Personally, I’ve always been undecided on the issue, but there are certain behaviors that make me want to lean toward the anti-immunization side. Mainly because the pro-immunization people can be such closed-minded, hypocritical, ignorant dweebs.

First, there are two issues, not one. Issue #1 is the question of whether immunizations are safe and effective. Issue #2 is whether the government should force people at gunpoint to have their children immunized against, whatever illnesses the government deems they should be immunized against.

Are immunizations safe?

This question must be balanced against the question, “Is it safe to not be immunized?” Not being immunized means you have a very small chance of catching the illness the immunization is supposed to prevent. With polio the answer is simple: Almost all cases of polio in the US in the past several decades, were caused by the vaccine itself. You have less of a chance of getting polio by not taking the vaccine that by taking it. The MMR shot (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) contains the live viruses. So in effect, the thinking is that you can be kept from catching an illness by giving you the illness. Of course, also in the vaccines are several toxins that poison the body, thus forcing your immune system to respond, just as the viruses begin their work. Sounds like some hokey movie where the guy warning everyone about the bad guy, starts blowing things up so people will take him serious that the bad guy will blow things up. This is “modern” medicine.

Ultimately, once you have all the facts, the immunizations don’t seem to offer a tremendous benefit over taking the chance of catching the disease itself.

Should people (including children) be forced to be immunized (…at gunpoint)?

Since the efficacy of immunizations is questionable, it is baffling that anyone would think it worth extending to the government the power to force people to undergo a medical procedure against their will. I can understand Liberals falling for this. I can even understand Establishment Republicans falling for it. Most Social Conservatives I know are either on-the-fence, or opposed to immunization, especially forced immunization. What I can’t understand is why so many Libertarians drop their distrust of Big Government, drop their distrust of Big Pharma and side with the Liberals in advocating forced immunizations. Come on Libertarians, where are your principles?

Stupid (and rhetorical) questions/statements pro-immunization zealots spew.

“If you don’t immunize your children, you’re harming my children!”

Because, obviously, whatever you allowed injected into your child is working sooooo well, isn’t it. Seriously, if immunizations actually work, how can your immunized kid catch something from a non-immunized kid?

“My child has a compromised immune system, so your child is putting them in danger!”

No, your child has an idiot for a parent, and that’s why they’re in danger.

I have 4 kids. Two of them have a congenital condition that compromises their immune system. Even a cold can kill them, if it’s not responded to in time. A flu can put them in the hospital, regardless how we respond to it. During the age when they were especially vulnerable, we homeschooled. When reports of flu or other illnesses spreading reached us, we monitored who they had contact with. We took it upon ourselves to create the appropriate boundaries between them and possible viral infections. We didn’t demand that the government force other people to violate their own parental right and force them to have their kids injected with live viruses and unknown toxins.

“No one has the right to expose their children to deadly diseases!”

Which is exactly why those opposed to vaccinations, oppose it. The “science” behind vaccinations is in no way “settled”. It remains controversial, and the illusion of “consensus” is a political one, not a scientific reality.

Did we immunize out children? Like I said, I’m mostly on the fence, however my wife, while she has some doubts, wanted to have them immunized. I didn’t see my uncertainty as something that outweighed her concerns, so she took them to be immunized. See how that works? I weighed our individual opinions, ideas and wants and we went with the decision that best reflected the consensus.

When one side’s response is consistently, “Shut Up! You have no right to an opinion! You’re evil for disagreeing with me!” that says that it’s doubtful they actually have any proof and are desperately trying to hide that fact.

...before just saying "gently caress it" and going all in on how vaccines are totally not necessary and are just zealous LIBRULS trying to control and take away AR FREEDUMS! Also, if just one child is not vaccinated its totally safe. Therefore EVERYONE should remain unvaccinated.

Because as we all know, veterans of a presidents war are only veterans under that president, and don't carry over.

drat that Obama and his invention the war on drugs.

quote:

It was almost 90º, and in the humidity typical of Florida, that’s even worse than it normally would feel. It was May 11th, 1996 and Domingo Pacheco was racing to the airport to catch a plane, then he felt his tire go flat. He was on the Palmetto Expressway right at the beginning of rush hour traffic. Having a flat tire was bad enough, but in this heat, with hundreds of cars and trucks screaming by, inches away?

At least when the cars whipping past it caused a momentary breeze for him which was good since the sweat dripping from his face and hands made changing the tire even more difficult. But he knew that any one of those cars had to veer only inches to end his life before he would have even known what happened. But he really didn’t have time to worry, because he was running very late. Glancing at his watch, he realized he’d already missed his flight..

Then his phone rang.

It was his mother. He answered, and she acted surprised to hear his voice. Odd. It was his phone after all. He explained that he had had a flat tire, and that’s why he wasn’t at the airport.

“Turn on your radio,” she said, “The plane you were going to be on just crashed in the Everglades”

That was Atlanta-bound ValuJet DC-9 which caught fire minutes after takeoff from Miami and crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 people on board.

Domingo Pacheco knows why he got a flat tire. Next time one of any of the multitude of things that annoy you so much, happens, remember that it’s only sour milk until you figure out it’s cheese.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. — Romans 8:28

Originally posted May 11th, 2005 at JackLewis.net.

Ah yes, stdh.txt about how God spared someone...and didn't care enough to save the others.

Remember when people were totally fighting tooth and nail for their right to have and share Ebola? Why did we allow that again?

Because Anti-Vaxxers never once try to change the subject to about FREEDUMS!

Vaccines totally take 9 months and could lead to life threatening complications, right?

"How DARE Obama call us names! That is TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL! Now more about how he's a shifty baby muslim thug."

Because restating opposition in a hy[perbolic way to their face totally doesn't backfire, right?

In LL101's defense, its hard to hear the cries around the world of Muslims when you've got your head that far up your own rear end.

quote:

Originally posted May 23rd, 2005 at JackLewis.net.

the·oc·ra·cy

A government ruled by or subject to religious authority. — The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

n 1: a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided) 2: the belief in government by divine guidance — WordNet

…a word first used by Josephus to denote that the Jews were under the direct government of God himself. The nation was in all things subject to the will of their invisible King. All the people were the servants of Jehovah, who ruled over their public and private affairs, communicating to them his will through the medium of the prophets. They were the subjects of a heavenly, not of an earthly, king. They were Jehovah’s own subjects, ruled directly by him (comp. 1 Sam. 8:6-9). — Easton’s 1897 Bible Dictionary

Reading the definitions above it makes you wonder where Libertines get their definition of Theocracy. Following the vote to allow Federal courts a de novo review of the State ordered execution of Terri Schiavo, the New York Times (fee for full article) reported the following quote:

“My party is demonstrating that they are for states’ rights unless they don’t like what states are doing,” said Representative Christopher Shays of Connecticut, one of five House Republicans who voted against the bill. “This couldn’t be a more classic case of a state responsibility.”

“This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy,” Mr. Shays said. “There are going to be repercussions from this vote. There are a number of people who feel that the government is getting involved in their personal lives in a way that scares them.”

Note that Shays is a Republican, which is why I’m using the term Libertine, not Liberal. Libertines are those that think freedoms comes only when individuals are allowed to be gross, immoral and obscene. I want to also point out that the legislation he referred to simply allowed the Federal courts to review a state decision that would end someone’s life. That’s an odd definition of a theocracy, isn’t it.

While the term gets tossed around among leftist group like Norman Leer’s “People for the American Way”, “Americans United for Separation of Church and State” and other looney tunes characters (there’s even a website name TheocracyWatch!) None of them bother to actually define what they mean by a Theocracy, let alone explain how their accusations fit with any rational definition. I guess it’s the Libertines new “angry” buzz word, used to scare people away from ideas they’re against.

So how close are we to a Theocracy?

Let’s take the least extreme definitions above: a government ruled by a religious authority. We really have that now since by any reasonable definition, secularism has become its own religion, crusading against any person or idea that dares to disagree with it. And secularism is behind a lot of our laws. When people get arrested for praying, it’s an enforcement of the religion of Secularism. When people get arrested for quoting scripture, it’s an enforcement of the religion of Secularism.

But notice what the Libertines claim ushers in “theocracy”: Allowing a Federal review of the state ordered death of an innocent woman. Using the force of the government to arrest people for reading religious material that disagrees with Secularism isn’t called a Theocracy by the Libertines, no, using the courts for precisely what they were intended to be used for — protecting the Constitutional rights of an individual — is.

If we have a “theocracy” in America, it’s a “theocracy” of Secularism, not Christianity. But look who uses the term:

“Many among our nation’s rabid right simply can’t stand the Bill of Rights. It is an obstacle to their fervent desire to create a fundamentalist theocracy.” — Jeremy Leaming, Americans United for Separation of Church and State

“Oh my God, we really are in a theocracy … The president and his ideological partners don’t believe in separation of powers. They just believe in their own power.” — Maureen Dowd, New York Times

“Robertson and other Theocrats scare the hell out of us. They want to turn a democracy into a theocracy.” — David Fitzgerald, member of San Francisco Atheists, during “All Atheists Weekend” in San Francisco this past weekend

“…the religious right is intractably hell-bent on converting the entire society and system of government in America to its fundamentalist theocracy.” — Carolyn Baker, Online Journal

Do we actually have Christian leaders dictating government policy? What I hear from those being accused of doing it is not dictating policy, but encouraging people to vote and be involved. If Fundamentalist Christians dictated government policy Terri Schiavo would be alive today. Her death shows that we not only aren’t anywhere near a Christian Theology, we are neck deep in a leftist theology that worships death and obscenity. How else could an innocent woman have been tortured to death at the behest of her adulterous husband under the power of the government?

"See? The GOP don't CALL themselves religious nuts, and religious nuts don't have total control over every part of life, so clearly it ISN'T a theocracy!"

"How DARE Obama, who we call a Nazi, disrespect us!"