Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

Does it not say Taylor Swift in the title or do I just not see it?

It's stickied, should be right near the top.

Also holy poo poo, that thread is amazing. Well worth venturing into gibbis for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Robot posted:

Also holy poo poo, that thread is amazing. Well worth venturing into gibbis for.

It's been a long time since this was true, but this is true.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom dug out a ton of old photos and had me scan them.

Those of you who have me on facebook saw the "dawwwwww" adorable childhood photos. She found one of me swapping the brake lines on my Integra though. I had no idea she'd ever gotten prints of that photo. She also had one she wanted me to scan of me afterwards, but it's basically me covered in sweat and grease. I mixed up "shredder" and "scanner" somehow.

I have no idea why there's a crescent wrench there. Also, young dumb and full of scissor jack instead of jack stands, complete with flip flops.

(I still miss that car)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ironically I have Charter and its been awesome so far

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just got off the phone with Verizon (can't sleep :smith: )

Can't roll back to my old contract; the only option is to cancel my current contract, which bumps me up by $35/mo per month. The ETF goes down by $10/month; if I buy it out in December, it will only be $110 (and Time Warner has been running promos saying they'll buy out your contract). The transfer is supposed to happen in the 1st quarter of 2016. I can still roll back the contract without an ETF right now, but $35 extra per month * 12 months = $420 extra. gently caress that noise, I'll pay the ETF.

I guess I'm stuck for now. Which is fine for this year, I love Verizon's version of FiOS.

The rep I spoke with hadn't heard about the sale, but as soon as I said Frontier, I heard a very loud sigh, and she wished me the best of luck with them. She said she was familiar with Frontshit, and she and I both agreed that the sale should be blocked by regulators.

Also turns out the lock on my account was because I'm 4 days late paying the bill. They let me add/remove services on the website all day every day even when I'm 3 months behind, but to even ask account questions over the phone when I'm 4 days late requires setting up payment arrangements? :fuckoff:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is as much as I could flex with hockey puck tires and an open diff. Gotta do what you can at a university parking lot.

Better not get a ticket. :argh:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

meatpimp posted:

It's been a long time since this was true, but this is true.

The most recent ones I can think of are Star Wars 9/11 and the rcman thread.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Oh godfuckingdamnit. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Verizon is selling off all of their wireline operations in California, Texas, and Florida (including FiOS)..... to Frontier. The same company I used to work for, where I caught a ton of cramming going on at least one call a day. The same company that still refuses to allow over 35mbit on the FiOS lines they bought nearly a decade ago, even though they have the equipment and backbone to handle better speeds. The same company where I was expected to sell SOMETHING to at least 10% of my calls just to keep my job. The same company that would have daily outages in massive parts of their territory.

This can only end well.

My broadband ISPs over the years have been SBC DSL, AT&T DSL, @Home cable, Verizon DSL, Charter cable, and Time Warner cable. Plus of course Verizon FiOS.

D'awww, that's adorable, you think you've had bad experiences with a service provider and you've never even had to deal with Comcast. :shobon: You should be very thankful the FCC has so far blocked them from merging with TWC and saved you from having to deal with them so far.

Move to Austin and get yourself some Google Fiber. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh godfuckingdamnit. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Verizon is selling off all of their wireline operations in California, Texas, and Florida (including FiOS)..... to Frontier. The same company I used to work for, where I caught a ton of cramming going on at least one call a day. The same company that still refuses to allow over 35mbit on the FiOS lines they bought nearly a decade ago, even though they have the equipment and backbone to handle better speeds. The same company where I was expected to sell SOMETHING to at least 10% of my calls just to keep my job. The same company that would have daily outages in massive parts of their territory.

This can only end well.

Frontier's marketing is so bizzare. They have billboards all over town stating you need to switch to FRONTIER FIOS because Comcast is leaving town. Except for Comcast having just broken ground on an all new data center.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Ironically I have Charter and its been awesome so far

You're a GA Goon now, right? I'm up in Athens and I pay for 60mbps but regularly get like 70-75 with Charter. It seems like I am the only person that I know of that never has issues with them. Of course I use free DirecTV for television and only use charter for Internet so that might help too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HotCanadianChick posted:

D'awww, that's adorable, you think you've had bad experiences with a service provider and you've never even had to deal with Comcast. :shobon: You should be very thankful the FCC has so far blocked them from merging with TWC and saved you from having to deal with them so far.

Move to Austin and get yourself some Google Fiber. :)

I knew I was forgetting one. Comcast eventually had the Dallas side of DFW's market after @Home packed up and left town. Time Warner eventually took over. Comcast wound up charging me a small fortune when a tech delivered a dead DVR box (HDD was bad); the tech swore up and down the box worked fine, when they just left the box here and told me they couldn't hook it up because the cable outlet was on the other side of the room.

The only upside is during the transition, my old cable modem got lost somewhere. They stopped charging me a rental fee, and when I took the modem in to give it back after moving, they said their records showed the modem was purchased. :iiam:

Rhyno posted:

Frontier's marketing is so bizzare. They have billboards all over town stating you need to switch to FRONTIER FIOS because Comcast is leaving town. Except for Comcast having just broken ground on an all new data center.

Frontier telling lies? WHY I NEVER :rolleyes:

You should see some of the marketing meetings I had to sit through.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Saw this earlier: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/icbcs-most-bizarre-insurance-scams-200844465.html

quote:

4. Hit-and-run victim turns suspect: The owner of a Honda Civic claimed his car was damaged in a hit-and-run while parked outside his home. But investigators thought the damage was strange and eventually matched paint chips from his vehicle with another hit-and-run. The driver admitted he had fled the scene of the real crash, and he was fined $1,000 and ordered to pay back $5,600 in claims.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

You're a GA Goon now, right? I'm up in Athens and I pay for 60mbps but regularly get like 70-75 with Charter. It seems like I am the only person that I know of that never has issues with them. Of course I use free DirecTV for television and only use charter for Internet so that might help too.

Yup, I can get 70MB/5MB regularly with no issues.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I knew I was forgetting one. Comcast eventually had the Dallas side of DFW's market after @Home packed up and left town. Time Warner eventually took over. Comcast wound up charging me a small fortune when a tech delivered a dead DVR box (HDD was bad); the tech swore up and down the box worked fine, when they just left the box here and told me they couldn't hook it up because the cable outlet was on the other side of the room.

The only upside is during the transition, my old cable modem got lost somewhere. They stopped charging me a rental fee, and when I took the modem in to give it back after moving, they said their records showed the modem was purchased. :iiam:

Comcast/@home (They were effectively the same company from what I remember) had some weird poo poo where after a while you would own the modem since you were doing a rent to own thing in the early days. It caused a ton of headaches for their contractors (such as my dad) doing nonpayment and voluntary disconnects. And oddly, charter was one of the few really decent companies that went through the DFW area in terms of how they treated their contractors. Almost everyone else on that list would pull all their work in-house and keep it until it was all completely hosed up and months behind, dump it back on the contractors telling them to clean it up and then suck it right back in-house the second they had it running smoothly.

Charter wound up being the only one that figured out they saved more customers by letting their contractors figure out the regulars who would always run behind but pay up as needed were and who could be dumped. And there was the fact that the contractors were payed for each job completed so they had a serious incentive to get through a large volume of jobs a day versus the in-house techs who were payed hourly and would take absurd amounts of time on a job just because they could. :argh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
So I read that whole Taylor Swift GBS thread on my lunch break and now my sides hurt from laughing so much.

Personal favorite:
http://i.imgur.com/Q34hLXS.gif

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Last day of old job today and starting new job on monday. :feelsgood:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently we are transferring one of our techs back to ballard because suddenly they dont have enough technicians because someone left :ironicat:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I love Taylor Swift

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn, you guys weren't kidding, that Taylor Swift thread is amazing.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I am in love with Taylor Swift as a person and I can only hope she has a secret fetish for weird, doughy, depressed software engineers.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I haven't been back in GBS in a long time but that is the type of poo poo I joined for back in the day.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The TS thread is genuinely good, but all the self-fellating in the thread reminds me of the :regd08: stuff - which got a little tiring.

Basically, I'm so un-hip/old that my butt has literally fallen off.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Last day of work before VACATION

WOOO

But I have national guard duty this weekend

:saddowns:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm watching death proof. Does it get good it is it just Tarantino masturbating?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Cakefool posted:

is it just Tarantino masturbating?

When is it not?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

I'm watching death proof. Does it get good it is it just Tarantino masturbating?

The first 30 minutes or so kinda drag but the last half of the movie is pretty great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

The latter.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cakefool posted:

Just skip to the car scenes, the rest is just stupid talking and you wont miss anything.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Fart Pipe posted:

Just skip to the car scenes, the rest is just stupid talking and you wont miss anything.

Seriously. There is more masturbatory dialogue in this movie than watching talking heads news shows.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sandbagger SA posted:

Last day of work before VACATION

WOOO

But I have national guard duty this weekend

:saddowns:

I am already at drill. Muta 6 :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Death proof: maybe 40 minutes max of action, don't bother.

Wonder what else Netflix has, my wife is out tonight for the first time in like 12 months.
E:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Holdbrooks posted:

I haven't been back in GBS in a long time but that is the type of poo poo I joined for back in the day.

Exactly - that place used to be amazing but the catchphrasing and circle jerks got to be a bit much to handle. I lurked it for a good year before finally joining SA. I since ventured to better pastures garages. Thinking about "HEEEEEEEERE'S FRANKIE" and the P-p-p-p-p-powerbook! are were the best.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Somewhat Heroic posted:

P-p-p-p-p-powerbook!

YES! That was basically the greatest. I was also a fan of the photoshop phriday when they were still good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I shouldn't have to explain why I thought of certain AI members when I saw this:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Took the KTM out for a canyon ride this morning, had been awhile. Saw a little sideroad I'd never noticed before, and went down to explore it - was an old/potholed/chewed-up asphalt deal. The 690 was loving it until I came downhill around a corner and washed out the front end in a deep sand patch :lol:. 15-20mph lowside. Picked it up and rode away after determing nothing was hosed on the bike or me.

Wear your gear kids! That old asphalt would have chewed my knee up like an angry wolverine:

Other than minimal rashing on my Cycra handguards and a popped-out blinker lense, the bike is fine. Rode away cursing myself for turning off the gopro thirty seconds earlier to save battery.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am so smitten with this plumber chick at a job site I'm working on. I need to ask her out soon but there's always mad people around whenever I run into her.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The E21 runs, drat thing started right up. Running a little rough so I need to look into that but I'm guessing it has something to do with the oil coming out of the header... :bang:

So just a shot in the dark here since I haven't dealt with this crap before. Rings shot if I'm getting oil coming out the exhaust via blow by? The oil is higher than it needs to be but this is a lot of oil coming out after running for 10-15 seconds.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am so smitten with this plumber chick at a job site I'm working on. I need to ask her out soon but there's always mad people around whenever I run into her.
Next weekend is Valentines day, ask her out.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geirskogul posted:

I am already at drill. Muta 6 :(

Super gross. We had a shitload of Muta 6s and Muta8s last year and my boss was starting to get annoyed. I'm full time civil service though so I was double dipping and giving no fucks.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You are a legend if you pick her up using a terrible plumbing pun.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 6, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sandbagger SA posted:

You are a legend if you pick her up using a terrible plumbing pun.

"I need to lay some pipe, wondering if you could help?"
"I've got a snake that's looking for some pipes to clean out"
"Have your pants sprung a leak or are you just happy to see me?"

...these are terrible don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh holy poo poo you guys they're bringing back Battlebots!

God I hope they don't gently caress this up.

• Locked thread