Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lotish posted:

Two crusaders with Holy Lance will chump him right quick. Let them Smite while he's in the front two rows, then leap frog when he's in the back.

I've never seen a crusader with this skill but now that I've unlocked the guild I'll save up and try this skill out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Occultist's stab has a fuckin huge crit chance and ruins eldrich enemies.

Also I like that there's dialogue for having your party back up a long distance. They start bitching at each other for stepping on their feet.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Periodiko posted:

The PD just needs to be able to do damage like other characters, I don't understand why some characters have deliberately lovely versions of abilities: the Crusader heal, the Occultist's front-line stuff, the Plague Doctor's damage stuff. If I want to turn my Crusader into a healer and stick him in the back instead of a Vestal, why not? It eats up a skill slot, and he's already penalized by not having many good skills from there. There really shouldn't be bad versions of off-role abilities, because no one is ever going to take them and use them. The penalty for having an Occultist on the front line stabbing people or a Crusader in the back healing people should be that the classes have to be in an awkward position, not that they have to be in an awkward position and also they suck anyway. There should be stuff like good front-line Occultist builds or weird back-line Crusader builds, or being able to do decent damage as a Vestal.

Not to mention the crusader heal can only heal the front 2 spots...

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Welp, that ancestral leper mask (Berserk Mask) that increases minimum damage but decreases maximum damage? Put two of those on your leper and use hew, your minimum damage is now higher than your maximum and it breaks the integer value, making the skill hit for 2 billion. :getin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cyanidewolf posted:

Welp, that ancestral leper mask (Berserk Mask) that increases minimum damage but decreases maximum damage? Put two of those on your leper and use hew, your minimum damage is now higher than your maximum and it breaks the integer value, making the skill hit for 2 billion. :getin:

:laffo:

Now go gently caress up the Hag. Wrath of the Leper!

edit: I'm legit curious what happens if you do a billion damage to her pot; does it die or stay alive with zero HP?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 6, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cyanidewolf posted:

:eyepop:

Told you leper was OP!

Oh my god that's amazing :allears:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm starting to dislike the bounty hunter.

His push/pull/stun abilities are extremely unreliable outside of level 1 missions and deal very low damage. His marking gimmick is only beneficial if you're going to mark an enemy and then attack it two more times with the bounty hunter. Bosses aside, how often does that happen? Never, especially since you want to focus fire. Marking and then only getting a single attack is worse than just attacking twice, since the first regular attack could have crit and killed the target in one turn. You can mark with an occultist, but that wastes a turn that he could spend healing, and you'd better hope that the occultist goes first in the turn order. The bounty hunter also has no aoe and his damage is relatively poor.

All I really feel that he has going for him is his fairly flexible positioning, but that isn't anywhere near enough.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I admit I haven't tried him in higher level dungeons, but I love the Bounty Hunter's stun+shuffle Flashbang and basically use him exclusively for flexible control.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Vargs posted:

His push/pull/stun abilities are extremely unreliable outside of level 1 missions and deal very low damage. His marking gimmick is only beneficial if you're going to mark an enemy and then attack it two more times with the bounty hunter. Bosses aside, how often does that happen? Never, especially since you want to focus fire. Marking and then only getting a single attack is worse than just attacking twice, since the first regular attack could have crit and killed the target in one turn. You can mark with an occultist, but that wastes a turn that he could spend healing, and you'd better hope that the occultist goes first in the turn order. The bounty hunter also has no aoe and his damage is relatively poor.

All I really feel that he has going for him is his fairly flexible positioning, but that isn't anywhere near enough.

I love the BH, but I always tend to use him with an Occultist. His pulls still seem to work well on squishy back-liners on level 3 missions for me. Occultists don't need to heal every round, and marking a Size 2 baddy makes the BH a murder machine. He also has a stun and a move that procs off stuns, which works in every position, and hits every position.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do y'all think it's better to camp early and get a bunch of buffs or later and repair your party of crazies? I'm leaning towards early. Having, like, the Highwayman surprise buff, the Grave Robber's Gallows Humor, the Leper's Acc buff, and whatever else can really tip the scales.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Vargs posted:

He's a nearly full damage 4th slot character who comes with a ranged stun that jumps to 200% effectiveness with skill levels. That ranged keyword is important, because there's two trinkets that give huge ranged accuracy buffs for almost no downside. There are still plenty of high damage, low stun resist enemies in the later dungeons, and those enemies are dodgy as gently caress. The bounty hunter can shut them down hard. If his turn comes up and everything worth stunning is already stunned, Finish Him gets very significant bonus damage against one of those targets putting his damage above un-trinketed hellions etc. Come Hither is an absurdly accurate ranged attack that works well to finish off very low health enemies (though I'm thinking of swapping it for Hook and Slice to get 33% more damage and slot 2 targeting). On top of all that combat utility his camp skills are fantastic. +50% scouting chance, +surprise chance, or +10 accuracy +5% crit for another character (for !2! time units) are great and make him one of the most efficient uses of camping time.

But Mark for Death -> Collect Bounty is definitely a waste of his actions. It immediately jumps to fantastic if you've got 2 hunters in a party though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
*Hellion gets put into Death's Door with blight*
Plague Doctor: You cannot die! We need you! :(
*Cure Failed!*
*DEATHBLOW*

Cures being able to fail is the dumbest poo poo that makes the plague doctor even more worthless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vargs posted:

Yeah I'm just starting to *like* the Bounty Hunter but he's very reliant on the Occultist. He's really good at taking out the enemy back row and that's really important. What I do is give him two +accuracy, +crit chance trinkets and then have the Occultist mark for him on the first round (when he shouldn't need to be healing). Once the Jester's song buff gets rolling he can start getting up over 25% crit chance with a significant accuracy buff and +100% damage from the mark.

Lack of AoE is a problem but AoE's are a little overrated since killing enemies fast is removal is best.

I did two Level 3 Hag runs last night with a jester/occultist/BH/crusader party and both went without a hitch. Once the pot was marked the BH could usually one-shot it each time anyone went in; the pot was more of a threat because of how it messed up party order than anything else.

The layout I use for the BH is finish him, collect bounty, stun grenade, and come hither. Pushes aren't as good as pulls, both because they damage the wrong target and because front lines seem to have higher move resistance.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 6, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bogart posted:

Do y'all think it's better to camp early and get a bunch of buffs or later and repair your party of crazies? I'm leaning towards early. Having, like, the Highwayman surprise buff, the Grave Robber's Gallows Humor, the Leper's Acc buff, and whatever else can really tip the scales.

I like to rest as soon as I've lost enough health and gained enough stress to take full advantage of the 8 food feast bonus, though I may hold off for a couple rooms if I -just- ate in order to conserve rations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So does anyone know what "other" is? I have a few of my guess with serious debuffs from "other", and no quirks or anything they have should be causing them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plague doctor could probably use having the mark status attached to one of their skills

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Genocyber posted:

So does anyone know what "other" is? I have a few of my guess with serious debuffs from "other", and no quirks or anything they have should be causing them.

Sometimes when you come back to town the news scroll will have a debuff message. They seem to usually last till you take that guy on a mission, but there may be some bugs there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

*Hellion gets put into Death's Door with blight*
Plague Doctor: You cannot die! We need you! :(
*Cure Failed!*
*DEATHBLOW*

Cures being able to fail is the dumbest poo poo that makes the plague doctor even more worthless.

Especially if the ability does nothing else. I mean, if the ability healed even a tiny amount it would be passable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

Especially if the ability does nothing else. I mean, if the ability healed even a tiny amount it would be passable.

It's funny, because even upgrading the skill to max doesn't do anything, you're basically just throwing gold out the window if you bother.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

I half suspect it used to heal and they nerfed it during development for some reason, maybe not wanting two healers in the starting party.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I half suspect it used to heal and they nerfed it during development for some reason, maybe not wanting two healers in the starting party.
Well going by from what I've read from some people itt, the early game difficulty could use a bit of smoothing out, so maybe two healers wouldn't be out of order.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've never once had Battlefield Medicine fail on me, but it should definitely be a partywide effect. Along with a few other things to justify her inclusion in the party.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cyanidewolf posted:

Early Access! :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd make a mod for you but abilities are like the only thing we can't change. :smith: (And even then we can change accuracy and damage, but not things like inherent rules. The accuracy of the cure is hard-coded)

But yeah I agree, hopefully the devs will consider it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Crusader has a heal though :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

paranoid randroid posted:

Well going by from what I've read from some people itt, the early game difficulty could use a bit of smoothing out, so maybe two healers wouldn't be out of order.

Eh, it's more learning curve than 'difficulty' but that' s part of why the game is so good.

It does need another healing class though, esp once four more non healing classes get added.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

The early game difficulty would be smoothed out a lot by removing every skill from your starting characters except "hit position 1 for lots of damage." I'm not saying that's the most effective tactic, but new players drastically overestimate their ability to be smart and clever with support abilities. Kill poo poo, move on, loot gold. Start stunning poo poo when it's a good idea.

Jackard posted:

I've never once had Battlefield Medicine fail on me, but it should definitely be a partywide effect. Along with a few other things to justify her inclusion in the party.

You know, if that ability (but not general heals) could be used outside of combat that might be enough to make her valuable while leaving her inefficient in combat.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Lotish posted:

Now go gently caress up the Hag. Wrath of the Leper!

edit: I'm legit curious what happens if you do a billion damage to her pot; does it die or stay alive with zero HP?

Uncertainty dismissed with a single strike!

Where is your god now, Hag?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cyanidewolf posted:

Goldmine this post.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cyanidewolf posted:

This is the best poo poo. I almost don't want them to fix this.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cyanidewolf posted:

Thread title revealed in a singular post!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks game for glitching out and removing the run option while I was fighting the Hag. Lost all but one guy thanks to that.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Holy poo poo, that is amazing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The estate caretaker had given me $300 in gold, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. Our packs looked like mobile alchemical labs. We had two bags of blinding powder, seventy-five sachets of blight toxin, five phials of high-powered experimental vapors, a salt shaker half full of invigorating powder, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clotting agents, antivenoms, screamers, laughers and also a quart of gin, a quart of rum, a keg of ale, a pint of laudanum and two dozen wormwood pellets. Not that we needed all that for the expedition, but once you get locked into a serious drug-collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the laudanum. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an opium binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Can someone explain to me why enemies with (supposedly) 0 dodge, dodge attacks constantly, frequently 4 or 5 in a row?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The estate caretaker had given me $300 in gold, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. Our packs looked like mobile alchemical labs. We had two bags of blinding powder, seventy-five sachets of blight toxin, five phials of high-powered experimental vapors, a salt shaker half full of invigorating powder, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clotting agents, antivenoms, screamers, laughers and also a quart of gin, a quart of rum, a keg of ale, a pint of laudanum and two dozen wormwood pellets. Not that we needed all that for the expedition, but once you get locked into a serious drug-collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the laudanum. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an opium binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

i didnt know the people in TCC were featured in this game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just remember, when you take laudanum you want to go for harm reduction

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tollymain posted:

plague doctor could probably use having the mark status attached to one of their skills

More sources of marking and abilities that get bonuses on marks would be cool. Hopefully the classes we are still waiting on will have them.

Also the Houndmaster better have a skill called Release the Hounds! :haw:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 6, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zurai posted:

Can someone explain to me why enemies with (supposedly) 0 dodge, dodge attacks constantly, frequently 4 or 5 in a row?

Base accuracy is not great on some attacks. Like, the Lepers basic attack shows me a 56% chance to hit unupgraded.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

just remember, when you take laudanum you want to go for harm reduction
No more of that talk or I'll put the loving leeches on you, understand?
                                        /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Lotish posted:

Has anyone who's beaten the game working on/already made a Darkest-er mod to up the difficulty?

Edit the recruit defaults to give 7 negative traits and 0 positive to start, optionally only one or two unlocked skills as well.

Don't buy/use any torches (or +Light skills) the whole game / Don't buy any provisions the whole game (except maybe food?)
Don't use any in town stress relief unless someone has had a psychotic break.
Don't recruit more then one of a particular class (level restrictions may make this more obnoxious then difficult until more classes are released, so maybe 2 of any class)
Allocate trinkets as soon as you acquire them, and never remove them from that character - if you're fully equipped in a dungeon, either destroy the new one or replace what you have. Class specific trinkets may be an exception, depending on how masochistic you are.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 6, 2015