Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

No more of that talk or I'll put the loving leeches on you, understand?
                                        /

the dialogue in darkest dungeons is also really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cyanidewolf posted:

Uncertainty dismissed with a single strike!

Where is your god now, Hag?

You just won the game :allears:

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Edit the recruit defaults to give 7 negative traits and 0 positive to start, optionally only one or two unlocked skills as well.

Don't buy/use any torches (or +Light skills) the whole game / Don't buy any provisions the whole game (except maybe food?)
Don't use any in town stress relief unless someone has had a psychotic break.
Don't recruit more then one of a particular class (level restrictions may make this more obnoxious then difficult until more classes are released, so maybe 2 of any class)
Allocate trinkets as soon as you acquire them, and never remove them from that character.

You could modify the provisioning costs to make torches prohibitively expensive and everything else just generally more expensive.

You could make in town stress relief prohibitively expensive.

The other rules you'd have to follow yourself, but at least those two could be part of a mod really easy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 6, 2015

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

So in the next turns did she attempt to put your guys in a pot that simply didn't exist?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Edit the recruit defaults to give 7 negative traits and 0 positive to start, optionally only one or two unlocked skills as well.

Don't buy/use any torches (or +Light skills) the whole game / Don't buy any provisions the whole game (except maybe food?)
Don't use any in town stress relief unless someone has had a psychotic break.
Don't recruit more then one of a particular class (level restrictions may make this more obnoxious then difficult until more classes are released, so maybe 2 of any class)
Allocate trinkets as soon as you acquire them, and never remove them from that character.
None of these are 'fun' difficulty increases unfortunately.

There's room for added challenge, but it'll probably overlap with just making an already all right game into something great.

My guess is that the new dungeons when added will be so back breaking people will be back for calling for nerfs or something.

I just want more stuff to do with classes, it loses steam very quickly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ruzihm posted:

So in the next turns did she attempt to put your guys in a pot that simply didn't exist?

Did the game crash? :ohdear: Or did she simply not use that attack? Or did they go away into the aether?

Depending upon the exact code all three are possible.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Do different guys have different chances for getting positive effects from getting 100 Stress? Because if so tormenting one character endlessly to inspire the rest of my team would own hard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cyanidewolf posted:

Uncertainty dismissed with a single strike!

So beautiful.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mortality status: Clarified

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious QIG posted:

Mortality status: Clarified

is no more than one strike, even

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who else is cheating the game by making a copy of the save folder before you do something hard?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

The only thing that really worried me was the laudanum. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an opium binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Laudanum is actually the grave robber's vice. No lie or exaggeration. If there's a high-class drug she's used it. EDIT: To be clear, I'm saying you've come up with an accurate assessment of the non-game provisions that your party is bringing on these expeditions.

Pwnstar posted:

Do different guys have different chances for getting positive effects from getting 100 Stress? Because if so tormenting one character endlessly to inspire the rest of my team would own hard.

The stat is hidden right now. It's definitely something that traits and trinkets can affect. Anything with "affliction resist" will make it more or less likely for the character to become virtuous. Unless there's class-specific trinkets a crusader is the best choice for a stress roller because Zealous Vigil removes 65 stress (if you're crazy) for 3 camp time and gives +10 accuracy to boot. Admittedly there's a non-zero chance that an afflicted character will just say gently caress off and mope. But that chance exists for anyone else trying to help them, too.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 6, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

cyanidewolf posted:

Oh my, thats just magical. :allears:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Who else is cheating the game by making a copy of the save folder before you do something hard?
I was making backups to hedge against corruption, and once reloaded because I forgot to buy torches.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

What I really like about this being early access is that they have the hardest parts of a good game down already. A cool and interesting theme, a solid engine, and interesting core mechanics are already in the game. Fine tuning the balance, adding more enemy and trap variety, more traits and interactions and stuff to care about your dudes should be completely doable in 6 months. It's the first EA game where I can see how they can turn this into a trully excellent game in a reasonable time frame

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sickening posted:

I almost savescummed the last time I fought a boss, but I resisted at the last moment.

And killed the boss with no losses :toot: so I'm gonna try to continue to play Ironman as intended.

FreeKillB posted:

I was making backups to hedge against corruption, and once reloaded because I forgot to buy torches.

Tell it to the judge, pal!

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Zaphod42 posted:

Did the game crash? :ohdear: Or did she simply not use that attack? Or did they go away into the aether?

Depending upon the exact code all three are possible.

For the one round that she lived, she did a meat tenderizer and that's it. Game worked fine, quest completed and whatnot :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

What I really like about this being early access is that they have the hardest parts of a good game down already. A cool and interesting theme, a solid engine, and interesting core mechanics are already in the game. Fine tuning the balance, adding more enemy and trap variety, more traits and interactions and stuff to care about your dudes should be completely doable in 6 months. It's the first EA game where I can see how they can turn this into a trully excellent game in a reasonable time frame

:agreed:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hunger needs to be visible. Just lost one of my awesome Hellions in a level 5 Hag missions because, inches from the door, hunger struck and took them down from max health. My guys had literally stuffed their faces full of food in the room right before the Hag, but oh nope now we're suddenly starving. I guess the smell of boiling human flesh really got to them! :shepicide:

Its kind of funny how this game is working out for me. People said the late game was easy but I'm losing a few guys due to hubris/bad luck now, unlike early on where I never came close to failing once after I figured out how to play. Maybe its because I'm doing Level 5 missions with 3/4 guys though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hardest part of this game for me is coming up with names for all my guys. I've burned through a lot of my favorites, and I can't just leave them with generic names, my god no.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lotish posted:

Hardest part of this game for me is coming up with names for all my guys. I've burned through a lot of my favorites, and I can't just leave them with generic names, my god no.

Dicksmasher McGraw

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently there was a small patch

More fixes for certain languages/special characters that was preventing the Saved Games directory from being located and causing the game not to launch
Removed incompatible quirks
Tuned down reaction act out wait times significantly for better combat flow
Fix for Sanitarium not removing correct quirk
Fix for Sanitarium not removing a quirk at all
Improved stress relief tutorial text
Rounded up monster HP in tooltip (so monsters don't show 0 HP)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hunger needs to be visible. Just lost one of my awesome Hellions in a level 5 Hag missions because, inches from the door, hunger struck and took them down from max health. My guys had literally stuffed their faces full of food in the room right before the Hag, but oh nope now we're suddenly starving. I guess the smell of boiling human flesh really got to them! :shepicide:

Its kind of funny how this game is working out for me. People said the late game was easy but I'm losing a few guys due to hubris/bad luck now, unlike early on where I never came close to failing once after I figured out how to play. Maybe its because I'm doing Level 5 missions with 3/4 guys though.

im fairly sure hunger is a random event rather than a number that counts down. ive had two hunger events in the last and first chamber of two connected tunnels before

Lotish posted:

in any game where characters are subject to permadeath i just name them after my friends on a first come first serve basis so i can insult them when they go insane and make my party have to retreat before they bring everyone down

what happens as characters die? I havent actually lost one because ive had some crazy luck with death's door but it seems like their exp gets pooled and you get better followers in the caravan? or do you just lose a guy and have to build another up

also i like that before i came to this thread i thought the optimal strategy was a vestal, a jester and two crusaders (giving 2-3 ranged attacks, good healing, buffs, stress recovery and tanking). hearing that there's actually good use of almost every character is really good

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

babypolis posted:

I always thought those were intentional.

Also don't read the steam thread for this, my god. I know how lovely they are in general but this is astounding.

It's basically people accusing literally everyone of being carebears and casuals who are not elite and hardcore enough to play this. I cannot wait for when the devs start to patch and balance things and see the rage it causes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Red Mundus posted:

I always thought those were intentional.

Also don't read the steam thread for this, my god. I know how lovely they are in general but this is astounding.

It's basically people accusing literally everyone of being carebears and casuals who are not elite and hardcore enough to play this. I cannot wait for when the devs start to patch and balance things and see the rage it causes.

honestly the game could be a lot harder on missions and a bit more forgiving in 'strategy' mode, especially with mission selection and character level limits. if i wanna take powerful characters on easy quests, maybe just reduce the quest reward somewhat?

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

quote:

Tuned down reaction act out wait times significantly for better combat flow

Oh thank god. When 2 or more of your guys have gone nuts you spend half the combat reading slow-rear end speech bubbles instead of actually fighting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lotish posted:

I never name anyone since I'm worried I'd get attached, like naming food animals. Even my level 2's I worry about naming as it will jinx things and they'll get killed.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Hallways are an abstraction. Sure it was just 4 squares to you, but to your party it was a long, twisting path through the overgrown forest that took hours to chart a correct path through. I never eat or throw away my last 4 pieces of food until I'm A: going to exit the dungeon right then or B: absolutely positive that I'll exit the dungeon before I get into any fights, and I'm just backtracking to open up some more chests that I passed on the way up.

Verviticus posted:

what happens as characters die? I havent actually lost one because ive had some crazy luck with death's door but it seems like their exp gets pooled and you get better followers in the caravan? or do you just lose a guy and have to build another up

You just lose them and have to build another up. It's not a terrible loss once you've got some cost reduction upgrades. It only takes one successful mission to hit resolve level 1, and then you can start buying upgrades with the gold your higher level characters are making. Level 1 characters can also go to Level 3 dungeons without freaking out, but their bleed/blight/stun resistances will be low.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

Verviticus posted:

im fairly sure hunger is a random event rather than a number that counts down. ive had two hunger events in the last and first chamber of two connected tunnels before

also i like that before i came to this thread i thought the optimal strategy was a vestal, a jester and two crusaders (giving 2-3 ranged attacks, good healing, buffs, stress recovery and tanking). hearing that there's actually good use of almost every character is really good

Hunger is an entirely random event. I've had anywhere from one hunger event per room (up to 5) to absolutely zero with the same party in a similarly sized short dungeon.

The optimal strategy is still 3 hellions + vestal. Everything else is mediocre in comparison. Unless you're hitting for 2 billion with your leper.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

babypolis posted:

I actually thought it was kind of funny when my starting crusader, who had God Fearing to begin with, barely survived a dungeon run where two of his teammates went insane and died and came back with Witness :)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lotish posted:

This should help for a few waves, at least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I’m sorry Red Hook, I’m done.

I tried to defend you guys on the forums.
I backed you back in May.
I watched your Dev Streams and even bought a copy for my brother.
I offered to buy a large amount of keys for your game to various Twitch Streamers.

I hadn’t played in 72 hours.
I get on today, am going through a dungeon, camp, and am fully healed. My heroes have stress levels of either 0 or less than 10.
We are awakened in the middle of our camp and the monsters go first, all of them.
3 of them crited in the 1st turn. TPK.
Fully healed with little to no stress and my party wiped out!
Not through anything I did, but through a stupid game mechanic. It’s not as if I made a bad decision I never got to make a decision, they game shoved a red hot poker into my nether regions before I could act.

Again, I wanted the game to be so much fun. I backed you and supported you. I trumpeted your name, but this is ridiculous. This wipe wasn’t ‘game ending’ but I don’t want to play a game that is that nuts. You might as well have me push a button, have a picture of Tyler or Chris or Kier waving the double duces at me with large letters that just say “**** YOU!” That might be more enjoyable.

Reply all you want. I’m done with the forums.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Verviticus posted:

honestly the game could be a lot harder on missions and a bit more forgiving in 'strategy' mode, especially with mission selection and character level limits. if i wanna take powerful characters on easy quests, maybe just reduce the quest reward somewhat?

Making it so that lvl 3 heroes cannot get ex in lower level dungeons would pretty much balance everything out imo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

animatorZed posted:

I actually thought it was kind of funny when my starting crusader, who had God Fearing to begin with, barely survived a dungeon run where two of his teammates went insane and died and came back with Witness :)

I've got my "main" crusader who's first quirk was what ever quirk makes it so he can only de-stress through meditation. Ever since, almost every quirk he's gotten has been one that bars him from a specific stress reliever, which he of course already can't do. He can ONLY meditate, but he also specifically can't gamble, whore, or drink. I'm not complaining, those quirks are soaking up potentially negative ones.

Also how are quirks handed out? It seems my dudes get one after every run. When you're running 90% failed runs just to get gold those quirks add up fast. So I end up with a bunch of stressed out level 0's with like 8 negative quirks that I keep dismissing. But even my "keepers" keep getting piles of bad quirks. Is it totally random or do my actions in the dungeon impact things at all?

\/ Sorry that was a rage-quit from the official forums, I thought it was too funny not to post.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 6, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I offered to buy a large amount of keys for your game to various Twitch Streamers.

I get on today, am going through a dungeon, camp, and am fully healed. My heroes have stress levels of either 0 or less than 10.
We are awakened in the middle of our camp and the monsters go first, all of them.
Not through anything I did, but through a stupid game mechanic. It’s not as if I made a bad decision I never got to make a decision, they game shoved a red hot poker into my nether regions before I could act.

Again, I wanted the game to be so much fun. I backed you and supported you. I trumpeted your name, but this is ridiculous. This wipe wasn’t ‘game ending’ but I don’t want to play a game that is that nuts. You might as well have me push a button, have a picture of Tyler or Chris or Kier waving the double duces at me with large letters that just say “**** YOU!” That might be more enjoyable.

When monsters surprise you AND get first turn it basically turns into a coin toss tbh. I hear ya, and I'm hoping that the current method of "go first, win first" gets patched and balanced out.

This is why I almost always bring a jester with an upgraded party buff skill so I can boost all hero speed up to like 10 or so. High speed basically means you always go first even when surprised and that just wrecks everything.

I had a moment like yours when 3 bandits used blanket fire in a row and all critted. Just had to take a break from the bullshit for awhile too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why don't you guys just push the retreat button when you are ambushed? It even works for post-camp ambushes.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Why don't you guys just push the retreat button when you are ambushed? It even works for post-camp ambushes.

You can't retreat until it's your turn and if the enemy goes first they can tpk you with crits.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's hella bad luck. I might be mad if that actually happened to a developed party but that's about it.

Maybe they should adopt that normal/easy mode Xcom RNG system into the game as a separate mode. Seems like it might help.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

That's someone you found on the official or steam forums, right? In any case, I'm trying to think if that's even technically possible (for the kind of player who's broken after a 72 hour break). And the answer I'm coming up with is no. 9 damage to everyone twice from a pair of fusiliers, 9 more damage to everyone from a bloodletter using rain of blows. That could certainly insta-gib some of the squishiest classes if the bleed caused a deathblow. But a crusader at full health would survive. A leper at full health would survive. A hellion would probably survive. So I'm left to conclude that the tale is fictional, the player was at the very most beginning stages of the game where a wipe doesn't matter, or they did make a mistake in party composition but are unwilling to acknowledge it (which is a legitimate criticism of the game, but not an objective one).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Source your quotes ;)

Baronjutter posted:

\/ Sorry that was a rage-quit from the official forums, I thought it was too funny not to post.

I was like, that doesn't sound like Baronjutter... :cheeky:

Red Mundus posted:

Making it so that lvl 3 heroes cannot get ex in lower level dungeons would pretty much balance everything out imo.

You could still use high level heroes to powerlevel lower ones, but it'd balance things better yeah. With all the costs of health and stress, powerleveling may not be a hug deal anyways, but I could also see it totally taking the balls out of the tension.

Then again having high level heroes kinda 'teach' your newbies would be a nice reward. You have to grind up your A-Team with no assistance, but then they can help you get other heroes up to their level fast, so you're not just repeating yourself. I think that sounds fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
It's bullshit as far as the game is concerned, but zombie cthulhu cultists sneaking up on you while sleeping is game over in most related fiction I'd imagine. I mean, who actually uses the 4(?) point "don't sneak up on me" camp skills over combat buffs/etc.

Also, it seems that AoE skills are variable damage now, but they still link the miss/hit/crit status to one roll. That's almost certainly going to be changed to allow individual dodges/etc. It doesn't make sense with the wildly differing evasive stats on some characters (like a +40% dodge Grave Robber) unless they are going for some kind of crazy internal averaging of defense.

poo poo's not balanced, and wiping out progress (the player's real time spent is the most valuable resource in every game) without a way to prepare against it (like triple linked ambush crits) are typically something that will be tuned in the more fair direction. Same with stunlock strategies that trade time for safety - it's not something they'll fix right away, but it's not something they want to encourage if they can figure out how to offer alternatives they're happy with.

You're supposed to go crazy, or get attrited, or screw up your positioning/loadout and get punished for it. OCCASIONALLY you'll eat some bullshit to remind you you're mortal. But ambush multi crits all the way to dead when you're otherwise at full everything and buffed are usually in the unfun category.

...On the other hand, never camp without multiple high HP/high speed characters, supplementing with the "don't ambush me" camp skills that cost a lot of time because getting ambushed while sleeping is one of the worst things that can happen in 90% of adventuring games. A bit of :dealwithit:, and a bit of tuning because they don't want people to rage quit quite that easily when there's still such sights to show them.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 7, 2015