Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KinkyJohn posted:

imagine a 50mp FF with good DR
Sony's coming for your rescue. If you can deal with CDAF, you can even mount your EF gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sony's coming for your rescue. If you can deal with CDAF, you can even mount your EF gear.

Yeah I read about that a7rii rumor. It made me consider switching

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

KinkyJohn posted:

It means that what could have been a good idea is now a useless idea. It will only serve as marketing hype to people who don't understand the flexible nature of resolution and cropping.

What bothers me is that this camera could have been REALLY great; imagine a 50mp FF with good DR and the ability to switch around crop modes with all the added benefits that brings (essentially a switch that gives you faster fps, AF, better ISO sensitivity and longer reach for when you're on the move)

here's hoping the magic lantern folks figure out how to unlock the camera's true potential.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Sorry if this has been covered previously in this thread but is it true Magic Lantern has been blocked on new Canon bodies by preventing the firmware rollback?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Increasing the fps in the crop modes would have required an upgrade to the mechanics of the mirror movement which Canon evidently didn't want to do.

The 1.3 and 1.6 might not increase the fps but if you know you're only interested in the centre portion, it means you're buffer will last longer, you'll get more photos on the memory card and Lightroom will be faster at the end. It's only a software feature so it won't have been that much of a burden on the engineers, gives the salesman something extra to mention and will have no adverse effects if you never use it. Nikons have a similar 1.6 crop mode which the camera enters if you put on a DX lens, it might not mean as much given the EF-S situation but Canon probably didn't want to be left out.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'd love that 11-24 lens but I need to finish paying off my yacht first.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The 1.6 crop mode is probably nice for any owners of the Sigma 18-35 1.8, at 19mp or whatever the crop resolution is it's very usable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

The 1.6 crop mode is probably nice for any owners of the Sigma 18-35 1.8, at 19mp or whatever the crop resolution is it's very usable.
Third-party APS-C lenses generally don't have issues with hitting the mirror on full-frame bodies, right?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yup, they generally mount fine on full frame bodies, the image circle just doesn't provide full coverage at all focal lengths.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

1st AD posted:

Why spend $3.5k on a full frame camera when that Sigma is such a big part of your lens collection, anyway. A 7D2 will give you more pixels with the same DR for cheaper.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, I have a Nikon mount version that I keep around for use with video cameras that have smaller than full frame sensors. So I don't really need to use it on my full frame Nikon but I like having the option to, okay? :colbert:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No one is going to spend $3700 on a FF camera to use 3rd party crop lenses on it. If they have that kind of money, they should probably upgrade their lenses first anyway.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

IanTheM posted:

Why spend $3.5k on a full frame camera when that Sigma is such a big part of your lens collection, anyway. A 7D2 will give you more pixels with the same DR for cheaper.
A 7D2 won't give you more pixels. The 5Ds sensor is, give or take, the same pixel density as the 7D2 but scaled up to fall frame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Long exposure noise tests of the 6D and 5D3. The results are certainly interesting. The 5D3 seems to introduce noise somewhere else in the signal chain, otherwise I don't see where that big difference at the 1s exposure comes from.

From http://www.brendandaveyphotography.com/?page_id=726

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

It means that what could have been a good idea is now a useless idea. It will only serve as marketing hype to people who don't understand the flexible nature of resolution and cropping.

What bothers me is that this camera could have been REALLY great; imagine a 50mp FF with good DR and the ability to switch around crop modes with all the added benefits that brings (essentially a switch that gives you faster fps, AF, better ISO sensitivity and longer reach for when you're on the move)

Most of the benefits you list don't have anything to do with the crop, though, they just happen to be true for most crop cameras (except the ISO thing). There's no reason why cropping would improve AF speed, ISO or reach, those are dependent on the AF module and the sensor, neither of which change by cropping. Faster FPS is definitely something that they could have built in though. The shutter would have to handle the faster speeds of course, but moving the data off of the sensor and on to the card should go faster in crop mode. The only benefit then is file size and occasionally the framing if you know you will have to crop in post anyway, assuming the viewfinder darkens or blacks out the unused portions of the image.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

ShadeofBlue posted:

Most of the benefits you list don't have anything to do with the crop, though, they just happen to be true for most crop cameras (except the ISO thing). There's no reason why cropping would improve AF speed, ISO or reach, those are dependent on the AF module and the sensor, neither of which change by cropping. Faster FPS is definitely something that they could have built in though. The shutter would have to handle the faster speeds of course, but moving the data off of the sensor and on to the card should go faster in crop mode. The only benefit then is file size and occasionally the framing if you know you will have to crop in post anyway, assuming the viewfinder darkens or blacks out the unused portions of the image.
Cropping may not "increase AF speed" exactly, but it could change the available AF points while at the same time making it easier to frame and track a subject, which could, under the right circumstances, "increase AF speed." For example, shooting a bird in flight at 100 yards with spot focus, or shooting a moving motorcycle with zone focusing, or any number of other scenarios.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
So has anyone been able to handle a 5Ds and write a review of it or is it all people saying how great it should be based on speaking to a Canon marketing person?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

n0n0 posted:

Cropping may not "increase AF speed" exactly, but it could change the available AF points while at the same time making it easier to frame and track a subject, which could, under the right circumstances, "increase AF speed." For example, shooting a bird in flight at 100 yards with spot focus, or shooting a moving motorcycle with zone focusing, or any number of other scenarios.

From your specific examples, you seem to think that by using crop mode your viewfinder image gets magnified, but it doesn't, as far as I know. I mean, if I'm wrong about that, then you have valid points, but I think it would take some impressive engineering to fit a zoom mechanism into the viewfinder like that, and I don't think any camera manufacturer has done that for an optical viewfinder.

The only thing that happens when you go to crop mode is that the camera crops the picture for you before saving it on the card. That is literally it, aside from maybe having some frame lines in the viewfinder, or if it's really fancy, it might even black out or dim the parts of the viewfinder that don't contribute to the image. The only benefit is that it can read the data off of the card more quickly, which is why cameras often have a higher max FPS in crop mode.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TomR posted:

So has anyone been able to handle a 5Ds and write a review of it or is it all people saying how great it should be based on speaking to a Canon marketing person?

We can only wait for Canon to accidentally give one to DigitalRev.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

ShadeofBlue posted:

From your specific examples, you seem to think that by using crop mode your viewfinder image gets magnified, but it doesn't, as far as I know. I mean, if I'm wrong about that, then you have valid points, but I think it would take some impressive engineering to fit a zoom mechanism into the viewfinder like that, and I don't think any camera manufacturer has done that for an optical viewfinder.
Well, when you put it like that. I was just thinking about shooting with a 1D or a 7D... but I guess on a camera with multiple crop modes, unless you had some kind of magical way to swap out the prism, then I guess it would just make the image in the viewfinder smaller.

The live view would still be "zoomed" so to speak.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

n0n0 posted:

Well, when you put it like that. I was just thinking about shooting with a 1D or a 7D... but I guess on a camera with multiple crop modes, unless you had some kind of magical way to swap out the prism, then I guess it would just make the image in the viewfinder smaller.

The live view would still be "zoomed" so to speak.

Yah, there's a number of benefits to a crop camera over full frame. Enough, in fact, that I think way too many people view full-frame as their end goal in an upgrade path; lots of photographers would be fine or even better off sticking with crop, especially when financial concerns are included. My original post was in response to perceived benefits of including a crop mode on a full frame camera. I'm not necessarily against including it as a feature (it's not like it's a costly feature to include, in terms of parts costs or time to design cost), but it really only offers a couple of specific benefits.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh Canon, I can't wait until the competition bitchslaps you with the same megapixels, but eventually better DR and SNR.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:drat:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5...=item232ecd3d27

:bahgawd: :bahgawd: :bahgawd:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare::fh:

I wish I had the money in my account now. I would pull that trigger so fast.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
:catstare:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

5D Mk IV announcement in 3... 2... 1... (also gently caress customs, the grey market 5D Mk III costs 1999 pounds over here)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I paid $2500 for a used one a year ago from another goon so well over a dollar a day in depreciation alone (and escalating). My last body was a 60D that I got on a Best Buy pricing error and that thing cost me like 20 cents a day to own for three years.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Speaking of upgrades, the T3i (and the other Rebels, but I have the T3i) has the aperture/exposure/shutter/etc. controls on the big LCD on the back of the camera, and multiple buttons to control everything. Why is the small LCD on the shoulder with the wheel control considered to be an upgrade on the higher-end models?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Infinite Karma posted:

Speaking of upgrades, the T3i (and the other Rebels, but I have the T3i) has the aperture/exposure/shutter/etc. controls on the big LCD on the back of the camera, and multiple buttons to control everything. Why is the small LCD on the shoulder with the wheel control considered to be an upgrade on the higher-end models?

It uses a fraction of the battery power that the back LCD uses. So you get many more shots per battery. And the rebels usually have a single control wheel, so for exposure compensation you have to hit a button while turning it, and in M you have to hit a button while turning it to change shutter/aperture (depending which CF setup you chose) - the new T6S has a shoulder screen and a back wheel (although it's the chintzy thin compact camera style wheel, not the nicer one on higher end models)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

In addition, by the point you seriously need to upgrade to a better camera you're more likely to have some serious pieces of glass beyond the light and handy kit lens. Holding a heavy camera+lens forward or turning it down and back up to look at the main screen gets annoying really quickly when you could take a quick peek at the little screen on top instead. Most high end cameras come with an option to display settings on the main screen and unless you're using live view and/or a tripod, that's fairly worthless.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The bigger bodies have ~60% more battery capacity than the rebel batteries too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I guess using the rear LCD just gave me different habits for how I hold the camera; I never felt like the controls or rear LCD placement were inconvenient, even when I was using heavier lenses. I was shooting with a friend who has a 40D, and I felt like I was all thumbs trying to hold the camera below me to see the shoulder LCD, while still playing with the control wheel (which felt chintzy to me). Looking at some pictures of the 60D and 70D, maybe the 40D's controls are just bad.

edit: I don't think the higher end cameras are worse, I was just curious as to why some features (the articulating LCD, also) weren't on stuff like the 5D3.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 19, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Weather sealing probably prohibits an articulating LCD.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

1st AD posted:

Weather sealing probably prohibits an articulating LCD.
The Sony A77ii has an articulating rear screen and is weather-sealed. Although Sony's sealing might not be as comprehensive as the Canikon bodies.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Nomenclature posted:

The Sony A77ii has an articulating rear screen and is weather-sealed. Although Sony's sealing might not be as comprehensive as the Canikon bodies.

Nobody will ever know because canons grading system for weather sealing is 'much like (insert 20 year old film body here) level'

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

timrenzi574 posted:

Nobody will ever know because canons grading system for weather sealing is 'much like (insert 20 year old film body here) level'

Because saying "this camera tested to IP54" would mean that "warranty doesn't cover water damage" doesn't fly anymore.

Infinite Karma posted:

I guess using the rear LCD just gave me different habits for how I hold the camera; I never felt like the controls or rear LCD placement were inconvenient, even when I was using heavier lenses. I was shooting with a friend who has a 40D, and I felt like I was all thumbs trying to hold the camera below me to see the shoulder LCD, while still playing with the control wheel (which felt chintzy to me). Looking at some pictures of the 60D and 70D, maybe the 40D's controls are just bad.

edit: I don't think the higher end cameras are worse, I was just curious as to why some features (the articulating LCD, also) weren't on stuff like the 5D3.

The 40D layout is objectively subjectively better because an 8 way joystick beats an 8 way button (and it's still that way on all the really expensive bodies for a reason) :colbert:

The expectation is to never take your left hand off the lens and never take your right hand far away from the shutter, and to keep the camera pointed forwards so you can just put your eye on the viewfinder, hit the autofocus button (the autofocus gets mapped to a thumb button and away from the shutter so you can leave autofocus set to on and AI Servo yet still have manual focus with USM lenses whenever you want) and take a picture :spergin:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

Because saying "this camera tested to IP54" would mean that "warranty doesn't cover water damage" doesn't fly anymore.

True, but one would think they could play cya and still be more descriptive than 'this camera is sealed as well as the eos1v'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't know much about weather sealing but pro durability really is just that. I dropped my 5D3 with a 70-200L F4 IS from a meter high onto a hard tile floor at a burger joint last year and it didn't even scratch. My girlfriend and brother who were with me at the time were horrified because they knew it was $3500 worth of poo poo but I wasn't all that concerned.