Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's the only Six episode to be universally considered good, I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm quite partial to Terror of the Vagina-Flowers, but that's just me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

[A list of things that aren't
The War Games
The Ark in Space
The Curse of Fenric
]

The War Games
The Ark in Space
The Curse of Fenric

:colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, me too actually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

Fairly creative for the time, though not really as innovative as some people like to present it as. I don't think it's brilliant but it's one of the few times that the attempts at social consciousness that Doctor Who made clumsy grabs at during the eighties actually worked.

Also, it's the only Colin Baker story that I'd actually call good.

I love The Two Doctors a lot. Of course, it's also a story that is TERRIBLE in many ways, but I feel the good stuff outweighs the bad. The good stuff primarily being the immediate chemistry between the 6th Doctor and Jamie, and how easily Jamie slots back into the Doctor/2 Companions role from the 60s. Troughton is as great as always, but there's sadly little interaction between him and Baker, but what is there is a lot of fun.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, me too actually.

And even though he wasn't in that particular episode, Sabalom Glitz, was I think, a most amusing character.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

Quite a long list actually, maybe I'm easy to please:
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve
Power of the Daleks
The War Games
Spearhead from Space
Carnival of Monsters
Genesis of the Daleks
The Deadly Assassin
City of Death
The Visitation
The Caves of Androzani
Vengeance on Varos
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Chimes of Midnight
Neverland
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
Blink
Utopia (not the rest of it)
Midnight
The Eleventh Hour
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
The Doctor's Wife
The Day of the Doctor
Listen
Mummy on the Orient Express

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I really like Mindwarp. If only for the return of Sil, BRIAN BLESSED, and that gutpunch of an ending.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I like all of those as well, and I'll throw Mysterious Planet in there, too. But you could probably get away with just watching Varos and moving onto the audios. The rest of the stories we've listed come with big fat asterisks, IMO.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

TNG is old Star Trek :v:

The gap between TNG ending and today is longer than the gap between TOS ending and TNG.

In two years the same will be true of DS9.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Little_wh0re posted:

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

Off the top of my head, so missing a few, and factoring in limited resources, in no particular order:
  • The Caves of Androzani (surprised, I bet!)
  • Remembrance of the Daleks
  • City of Death
  • The Ribos Operation
  • The Edge of Destruction (ie, Part 1)
  • The Robots of Death
  • The Brain of Morbius
  • State of Decay
  • The Empty Child/Doctor Dances
  • Day of the Doctor
  • Neverland
  • Creatures of Beauty
  • Davros
  • Circuar Time

• and especially The Land of Happy Endings :3:

Probably more if I really thought about it, but there are many more that are just shy of perfection. Genesis, for instance, could have been edited into a perfect serial, and Rob Shearman still has yet to work out how to do a completely satisfactory, well-structured conclusion (the only flaws in... well, everything he's done).

EDIT - Ah gently caress it, MrL_JaKiri's right, Ark in Space. When I was making the list above, I thought I remembered some pacing issues, but... gently caress it, Ark in Space.

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 7, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.com/two-doctor-who-showrunners-just-had-the-best-dumbest-ar-1684300068

:allears:

Russel T. Davies posted:

I love your list in DWM 482 of the Doctor's many wives. Did you ever think we'd be having that conversation, 10 years ago? But… what's this? His marriage to Queen Elizabeth the First was unconsummated? But, but, but… in The End of Time Part One, the Tenth Doctor arrives on the Ood-Sphere to greet his old friend Ood Sigma with the words, "Got married. That was a mistake. Good Queen Bess. And let me tell you, her nickname is no longer… ahem." So, what does that mean, boss? What can it possibly mean?? Steve, what does it MEAN??? Thank you.

Stephen Moffat posted:

Oh for God's sake, PAY ATTENTION. You've gone soft up there in Manchester. Practically tofu, I'd say. Probably all that lazing about, never writing any episodes for me, even though I wrote six for you. Yes, SIX. Actually, no, SEVEN. Time Crash counts too – and it was for charity. But never mind, oh no, I'll just type on and on and neglect my children, that's fine!
 Okay, the facts. I said the marriage was unconsummated – and so it was. You saw for yourself in The Day of the Doctor – he ran straight off after the ceremony. Would we have put that on television if it wasn't true? But I never said – not once, not ever – that the relationship was unconsummated!

Yes, Russell! I went there. Even as you
 gasp and clutch the furniture for support, 
I am writing in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine, about pre-marital shenanigans! I realise you've probably never heard of such unsanctified naughtiness – glancing at your resume, I see
 you write mainly about fruit and veg for
 Channel 4 – but it does go on, you know.
 Well, outside of Manchester. So there you are. You may sleep again. The Doctor's boast in The End of Time (oh, and thanks for that title, just before I took over) and my statement that his marriage to Elizabeth was unconsummated are in no way contradictory. True fact! Accept my True Fact. Back away in shame at your wrongness. Actually, write me a story, and we'll say no more about it.

Yes, that is the Showrunner and Former Showrunner of a multimillion dollar international franchise catting away about canon in the letters section of Doctor Who Magazine like any two spergy fans. I hope Capaldi and Tennant weigh in next. :allears:

This is why I love Doctor Who.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And of course it's about the Doctor bonin'.

As you do

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I love that they're not just Vaginaflowers, but Vaginapenisflowers. Seriously, someone had issues.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Burkion posted:

And of course it's about the Doctor bonin'.

As you do

RTD and Moffat arguing about the Doctor having sex in magazines, Bush and Clinton running for President, it's 1992 all over again.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Is this a subtle way of hinting that RTD is going to write an episode for Moffat at some point?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Is this a subtle way of hinting that RTD is going to write an episode for Moffat at some point?

Don't SAY things like that out loud, they might come true!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Astroman posted:

http://io9.com/two-doctor-who-showrunners-just-had-the-best-dumbest-ar-1684300068

:allears:

Yes, that is the Showrunner and Former Showrunner of a multimillion dollar international franchise catting away about canon in the letters section of Doctor Who Magazine like any two spergy fans. I hope Capaldi and Tennant weigh in next. :allears:

This is why I love Doctor Who.

That's pretty cute. If Capaldi weighs in on it, I'll probably side with him, whatever he decides.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would be cautiously okay with RTD writing a script under Moffat. More of his scripts are good than aren't, on the whole, and he's written some incredible ones (Gridlock, Turn Left, Midnight). If Moffat were willing to tinker with it a little and it wasn't an event episode, just a regular run-of-the-mill one I bet he'd do a great job, especially since it's been so long since he did anything Who-related. Torchwood Season 4 was what, 2011?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He like juuuust did an interview where he said it wasn't going to happen.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

He like juuuust did an interview where he said it wasn't going to happen.

And Tom Baker said he'd never return to the role...

THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN AT SOME POINT IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS:

1) RTD will write a script for the show

2) BF will get the rights to Nu-Who

3) Eccleston will return for an ep or some audios

People say these things will never happen, but they will, in time.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I think 3 will only happen if 2 does and I remain unconvinced on that front

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

And Tom Baker said he'd never return to the role...

THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN AT SOME POINT IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS:

1) RTD will write a script for the show

2) BF will get the rights to Nu-Who

3) Eccleston will return for an ep or some audios

People say these things will never happen, but they will, in time.

I think 1 an 3 are likely, but I do think it'll still be a couple of years before RTD comes back and it'll probably be the full 10 before Eccleston considers it.

I don't think 2 is impossible, but I consider it unlikely unless the show gets canceled again or the latest season somehow becomes a different license (which would only happen if the BBC did some kind of joint thing for international reasons, and let's keep our fingers crossed that they don't).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I think 1 an 3 are likely, but I do think it'll still be a couple of years before RTD comes back and it'll probably be the full 10 before Eccleston considers it.

So you're saying Eccles is coming back this year?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So you're saying Eccles is coming back this year?

I of course meant 10 years from now, but now I will make the unlikely prediction that Christopher Eccleston will appear in series 9, and they are completing the negotiations right now, as we speak. Everyone look forward to it, as I am completely reliable with all of my predictions. If I am wrong, I will watch the whole series, each episode a couple of days after it airs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why couldn't the BBC licence BF to do audios but not using the 12th Doctor or Clara? Maybe I'm dumb, but shouldn't that be easy to write into the contracts?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I honestly think Eccleston coming back is by far the least likely of those three things.

He's certainly never shown any interest in voice acting as far as I know, and I would guess - apropos of not much - that he's the kind of actor who wouldn't want to work in that medium. And I don't think future showrunners will want him back particularly (nor is he likely to want to come back anyway).

In ten years, Eccleston will be a footnote, even more than he already is. Which is a shame, because he's still the best revival Doctor, but what are you gonna do. As far as most people are concerned, nuWho started with Tennant.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I honestly think Eccleston coming back is by far the least likely of those three things.

He's certainly never shown any interest in voice acting as far as I know, and I would guess - apropos of not much - that he's the kind of actor who wouldn't want to work in that medium. And I don't think future showrunners will want him back particularly (nor is he likely to want to come back anyway).

In ten years, Eccleston will be a footnote, even more than he already is. Which is a shame, because he's still the best revival Doctor, but what are you gonna do. As far as most people are concerned, nuWho started with Tennant.

Worry not, for I, the completely reliable prognosticator Bicyclops, have declared that he will return this year, in season 9.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Worry not, for I, the completely reliable prognosticator Bicyclops, have declared that he will return this year, in season 9.

Thank you, Bicyclops. Can you also get around to predicting Paul McGann turning up for at least a couple of eps. Don't mind if it's series 9 or 10. Probably not 11, though, that's too far away.

TIA, Barry Foster.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz-L posted:

Why couldn't the BBC licence BF to do audios but not using the 12th Doctor or Clara? Maybe I'm dumb, but shouldn't that be easy to write into the contracts?

It'd be pretty easy. I think the main issue is that of the three other Doctors since the revival started, one isn't interested in doing Doctor Who stuff ever and one isn't interested in doing it now (or at least until his acting career kinda flubs out), which just leaves Tennant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mo0 posted:

Don't SAY things like that out loud, they might come true!

I would loving LOVE to see an RTD script under Moffat as showrunner, I think it would be great to see what would be produced when the roles were reversed, especially with the show generally looking leagues better than it did when Rusty was in charge.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
'Nu' Who turns 10 years old this year. In 10 years it will be 20. It's about getting pretty far from New at this point. It seems increasingly difficult to not licence the RTD era, at least. Anything from that era is hardly going to impact on current storylines.

I can't for the life see Ecclestone doing Big Finish. I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like to do sequels as he doesn't like coming back to characters after he's done with them. Add into that the poor experiences he apparently had on Who and the fact that he's not a fan in the way Tennant is and I just can't see him doing Who for the kicks in the way other Doctors do. Not to mention that he has a pretty decent career going as a character actor/heavily made-up villain in silly action films.

I'd love to have RTD back for an episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, Tennant was a big enough fan to do BF BEFORE he was the Doctor, I imagine Smith is now a big enough fan to try it one day, but I get the feeling that Eccleston is done. It's a shame, but I guess it does leave Nine with something of a mystique about him. Just the 13 episodes and out.

Whether or not Smith does it probably depends on where his career goes, which is pretty hard to say at this point. Tennant seems like he's staying in the theater scene, which means it wouldn't be a stretch for him to pop over to the studios once in a while, but Smith wants to try and make it in Hollywood, so who knows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rochallor posted:

but Smith wants to try and make it in Hollywood, so who knows.

But . . . his face? He's not hollywood pretty.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm sure BF would jump at the chance, but (from what I can glean on their FAQ page) the BBC regards "Doctor Who (1963-89) and Doctor Who (2004-) as two completely separate entities, and Big Finish is only allowed to touch the former. Beyond messing with storylines or whatever else (the closeness with Cardiff is ultimately two fans having fun) they simply aren't legally allowed to touch the 2004 show. Maybe concepts like the BBC hiring them will come up in the license-renewals this year, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they'll be able to keep making Doctor Who at all after December 31st.

I'm sure there's no reason to worry, but fans who went through the Dark Times can be a little jumpy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've recently acquired Doctor Who: Regeneration by Philip Segal - a behind-the-scenes overview of the 96 film, which also contains a production bible for a hypothetical series, had the film been a success - and thought I'd share some of the hypothetical series stuff. It's doubtful that 99% of this stuff would have ever made it into a final series, but it's interesting, all the same.

Initially, it was going to be a complete retooling of the Doctor's backstory - Borusa was the Doctor's grandfather, a Time Lord named Ulysses was to have been the Doctor (via an Earthwoman) and the Master's father (via another Time Lord), making them half-brothers. He would still have been the Eighth incarnation of the Doctor, however.

The planet Gallifrey is beginning to tear itself apart, vast canyons are appearing, etc, etc. Borusa is the Lord President, and he's dying, he has to pass on the Sash of Rassilon. Time Lord society is split into supporters of the Master, and supporters of the Doctor as candidate (though they have doubts of his parentage). The Doctor tells the Time Lords what he thinks of them (boring bureaucrats lacking feeling yadayadayada), and they exile him from the city, causing the Master to become Lord President. The Doctor finds some scrolls in a desert pointing towards his secret Earth heritage, talks to a dying Borusa (who incorporates himself into a crystal to power a TARDIS). The Doctor is declared persona non grata, with authorisation to terminate on sight, by the Master (to remove him being a threat to his Presidency).

Due to Gallifreyan law, blood relatives are not allowed to directly kill each other (the perpetrator is killed also), so the Master has to rely on his servants, the Daleks to finish the job. The Doctor meanwhile, sets off to Earth to find his father, and his heritage.

Domed Capital:

What follows are essentially remakes of older episodes, but with the Master as the primary antagonist.
These aren't direct quotes, just paraphrases:

The Daleks (remake of Genesis of the Daleks) posted:

The Doctor is captured by the Time Lords and bought before the Master. The Master tells him he is free to travel across time and space with no further interference from the Time Lords, if he travels back in time to prevent the creation of the Daleks. The Doctor travels to Skaro and meets the mutant Kaleds. He tells them about the Daleks of the future, and they wish to help him to avoid it, so they pair him up with their scientific expert, Davros.

Davros:

Whoops turns out Davros is bat-poo poo crazy and growing spider-like Daleks and making battle armour for them. The Doctor tells the rest of the Kaleds, while Davros tells the Thals of the Kaled defenses, leading to the Thals killing the Kaleds, and the Daleks murdering all the Thals. The Doctor tells the Daleks that Davros betrayed them, and they murder him. Turns out this is what the Master wanted so he could become leader of the Daleks.

The Doctor travels back in time to before he arrived, and recreates the scene where Tom Baker debates the ethics of killing the Daleks.

Re-imagined Daleks:

Kaled mutant:

The Pirates (remake of The Smugglers) posted:

The Doctor believes that the pirate Blackbeard, was once his father disguised, so travels in time, only to be captured by pirates looking for Blackbeard's buried treasure. The Doctor steals a map, follows it, and finds Blackbeard digging up some treasure. The other pirates attack the pair, but are defeated. The Doctor is about to ask if Blackbeard if he is his father, but he's vanished over a hill riding a horse. [The book text confirms it's his father]

The Talons of Weng-Chiang posted:

"The TARDIS is in present day New York, where a series of murders have been commited by the Chinese Tong of the Black Scorpion, led by Weng-Chiang [...] who, in reality, is Magnus Greel, a war criminal from the future whose experiments backfired, and who needs the lifeforce of others to survive. Hooking up with an NYPD cop, they trace the location of Greel's lair and bring the murderer to justice."

Earthshock posted:

"(The Cybs are the pirates of the galaxy; slash and burn marauders from the planet Mondas. Having ruined the environment of their planet, they become cybotic, made up mostly of vat-grown plastic. Since much of their body is manufactured, they are very handsome and quite vain [!?]. The Doctor often uses this vanity against them. One of the few things that can kill a Cyb is having gold dust thrown into its breathing apparatus.)

In 1994, the Doctor investigates the death of palaeontologists murdered under mysterious circumstances while studying dinosaur remains in an underground cave in Wyoming. He discovers the deaths have been carried out by the Cybs to protect the location of a bomb capsule which has been planted in the cave and is capable of destroying the Earth.
He disarms the bomb, but is captured by the Cybs who force him to let them board his time machine, where they engage in deadly combat.

Cybs:

Detail:

The Horror of Fang Rock posted:

The Doctor follows streaks of light across the galaxy, that leads him to a lighthouse in 1906 at Land's End. Thick fog causes a ship to run aground, though the Doctor manages to save some of the crew. The Captain is murdered, and the Doctor is blamed because of his mysterious arrival. The Doctor believes that an alien ship crash-landed, and the alien had "absorbed" the body of a lighthouse-keeper to send a beam of light for a rescue party.

The Doctor has to prove his innocence, destroy the alien and its mothership.

The Celestial Toymaker posted:

Literally a remake of the serial of the same name, but with the reveal that the Toymaker is controlled by the Master.

Don't Shoot, I'm the Doctor! (remake of The Gunfighters) posted:

Another exact remake. Right down to the toothache.

Tomb of the Cybs (remake of Tomb of the Cybermen) posted:

Same as the original, but turns out the Master was behind the Cybs thawing out. Seeing a pattern yet?

The Yeti (remake of The Abominable Snowmen) posted:

The Doctor travels to 1953, to Tibet to seek advice from the Dalai Lama on his father's whereabouts. Travelling with Sir Edmund Hillary on his expedition to climb the summit of Everest, he is informed of the Yeti. No one has seen the yeti clearly, but catch fleeting glimpses of thick furry bodies and their blood-curdling screams. Turns out that the Yeti aren't hideous killing machine monsters after all, but Neanderthals, having been pushed back to this last place of refuge by humanity, and they're actually really shy and nice and gentle and cuddly and :barf:

So the Doctor and Hillary decide to protect them by telling others that the Yeti are hideous-savage death killers and everyone should stay away from them, to keep the myth alive. [what?]

The Ark in Space posted:

Another exact remake of the serial of the same name.

Other stories in the various drafts of the series bible were;

The Cybs (remake of The Wheel in Space/Revenge of the Cybermen) posted:

A very loose remake of the Wheel in Space and Revenge of the Cybermen - the Doctor recieves a distress signal from an Earth outpost on Mars, where the Cybs are stealing women and children as slaves to increase their number [!?]. The Doctor hides in a gold mine, while trying to save the women and children.

The Sea Devils posted:

Loose remake of the serial of the same name. The Sea Devils are attacking oil rigs and ships because the drilling has opened their undersea caverns to the world. The Master wants to control them, but the Doctor manages to drive them back to their caverns and seal them off, causing the Sea devils to return to hibernation.

The Outcasts posted:

I think this might have been the only completely original story! :monocle:
Crystal Barusa [sic] is dying, and because it's powering the TARDIS, that means it's in danger. The Doctor returns to Gallifrey, thinking the Master is behind the power drain. He comes across the Cybs attacking Gallifreyan outcasts (those rejected from society, like the Doctor was), and lures them into the Domed capital as a distraction, so he can restore the power to the crystal, and save Borusa.

TARDIS Console Room:

The Land of Fear (remake of The Reign of Terror) posted:

"Attempting to learn something about his father, who he knows once met Robespierre, the Doctor lands to TARDIS in a forest clearing 20k from Paris during the "reign of terror". Masquerading as a citizen, he slips into town, and runs into English spy James Stirling, who is plotting Robespierre's assassination."

The Claws of Axos posted:

Exact remake of the serial of the same name, but with the Master behind the plan, instead of being caught up in it.

The Daemons posted:

Remake, but with the setting changed to that of the Salem Witch trials.

Shada posted:

Remake of the unfinshed serial. The few changes are that Professor Chronotis is Romana's uncle (yes she appears in this draft version), and that the Doctor is interested in the location of Shada, as he believes his father is imprisoned there.

The overall story arc would end with the Doctor finding his father, returning to Galiffirey, proving his parentage, becoming Lord President of Gallifrey, healing the land, defeating the enemies of peace to the galaxy, and making everyone poo poo rainbows and stuff.

Domed Capital damaged:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 8, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Most of that seems like pretty bad ideas overall, but I can't hate the designs of Davros and the Daleks. They aren't right for the characters, but they're actually pretty cool for 'grit-and-gore 90s science-fiction' designs. They'd be pretty good as, like, Quake enemies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's been said many times before, but I'm really glad that the 1996 tv movie wasn't successful enough to kick off this earlier revival, but that what we did get was generally benign enough that people were able to embrace Paul McGann as legitimately one of the Doctors without reservation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

It's been said many times before, but I'm really glad that the 1996 tv movie wasn't successful enough to kick off this earlier revival, but that what we did get was generally benign enough that people were able to embrace Paul McGann as legitimately one of the Doctors without reservation.

Yeah, pretty much. The only thing that seemed to survive to the film was the whole contentious "the Doctor is half-human" thing, but it's so minor.
I think having McCoy regenerate onscreen helped to ease the transition towards McGann - it made him that more official, rather than just having McGann from the start.

On the one hand, it's a shame that we've only got the movie and Night of the Doctor as his only onscreen roles, because he's got great charisma, and an onscreen presence, but at the same time, yeah, not having an earlier revival has made the show better in the long run, though the movie bridges the gap quite nicely. Even considering a hypothetical series, I doubt it would have lasted long; US networks are fickle. It's highly unlikely it would have lasted to celebrate its 50th, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's the saddest part of it, I think - that McGann was good enough to be one of the best Doctors ever, but if his 'series' had kicked off it would've spelled the death of Doctor Who as we know it.

EDIT - Which is pretty much the fate of the Eighth Doctor, actually. I still think McGann should've been the face of the old series/Time War, but TDOTD does make some sense.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread