Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Hi. I am pretty new to comics so forgive me if this is a weird question. I was pretty excited for Squirrel Girl #2 to come out today, but when I talked to my local comic book shop they said that they just . . . didn't get their shipment/order. And that it'd be a week or two before the replacement order would show up. Again, I'm new to comics . . . Is that normal? For orders to just not show up? Or is this shop run by idiots or something?

Welcome to Diamond. (The company that distributes basically all print comics) If your shop is not a huge customer or a big chain, then yes, them getting hosed over is not uncommon. Especially for a more niche book like Squirrel Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Last week my shop got none of the X-O Manowar they ordered, but got a bunch of Powerpuff Girls that they didn't. Those serve vastly different demographics.

Of course, if it's anything like my shop, there's also a good chance they didn't order enough of an anticipated but niche book, sold out in an hour, and are just covering their asses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it happens all the loving time. I'm out a huge sale because they couldn't get me the loving books I needed in time (3 loving weeks) and the customer wanted a refund.

There are constant issues with Diamond and missing books, damaged books and incorrect books. As far as damages they give no fucks because the boxes passed a crush test so any damage gets written off by their insurance deal with UPS.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Wow that's dumb. The shop made it sound like it happens pretty often. They are definitely not a big shop and carry more indie stuff so I can imagine them being a low priority. :( Good to know that it's just a normal crappy part of the comics business.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There's only one company running (most) comics distribution, Diamond, and they're pretty much a monopoly. So when they gently caress up no one can really make them knock it off. Which means it's entirely possible that Diamond hosed up your shop's order... or it's possible that your shop is run by imbeciles. Honestly, it's plausible either way.

But mostly plausible the Diamond hosed up way.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SirDan3k posted:

But mostly plausible the Diamond hosed up way.

Granted, but I've known enough really lovely shop owners not to count that idea out.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Yeah the lady who runs the shop here is never at her shop when UPS shows up so she was always missing shipments because the neighbors wouldn't take them or she wouldn't go down to the UPS depot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shawn posted:

Yeah the lady who runs the shop here is never at her shop when UPS shows up so she was always missing shipments because the neighbors wouldn't take them or she wouldn't go down to the UPS depot.

Doesn't everything always come on the same day every week? Why the gently caress wouldn't you make it a point to definitely be there that day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HondaCivet posted:

Wow that's dumb. The shop made it sound like it happens pretty often. They are definitely not a big shop and carry more indie stuff so I can imagine them being a low priority. :( Good to know that it's just a normal crappy part of the comics business.

Things have been pretty good this year so far, less than $40 worth of damages but this reorder fuckup may have wrecked my profit share this quarter. And since we now get our shipment on Tuesday if there's a fuckup and we report it by 5pm they can usually get the replacements to us by Friday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

You should see if they'll set up a pull list for you. Every shop I've ever been to will do it, and quite a few don't mind doing just one book. It won't fix any problems with Diamond loving up an order, but it will at least ensure that the store orders a copy for you, which is a good idea for a book that might be of limited or niche appeal. Very few stores will require you to pay until you pick it up.

(It also gives stores an idea of how many rack copies they should order in addition to the customer copies, which can help boost sales and keep a book being made.)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Endless Mike posted:

You should see if they'll set up a pull list for you. Every shop I've ever been to will do it, and quite a few don't mind doing just one book. It won't fix any problems with Diamond loving up an order, but it will at least ensure that the store orders a copy for you, which is a good idea for a book that might be of limited or niche appeal. Very few stores will require you to pay until you pick it up.

(It also gives stores an idea of how many rack copies they should order in addition to the customer copies, which can help boost sales and keep a book being made.)

Do you mean like having a subscription box? I've already got one set up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep. Then you're hopefully good!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Weird question, but the return of Prez news made me think of John Belushi showing up in comics. I can only think of three instances, but I find them all kind of intriguing.

- That Sandman issue about Prez.
- The Marvel/SNL crossover.
- IDW Ghostbusters when the ghost of Jake Blues shows up to offer Ray some advice.

Are there any other examples? I know it works the other way around, as he played the Hulk on SNL one time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Weird question, but the return of Prez news made me think of John Belushi showing up in comics. I can only think of three instances, but I find them all kind of intriguing.

- IDW Ghostbusters when the ghost of Jake Blues shows up to offer Ray some advice.

Are there any other examples? I know it works the other way around, as he played the Hulk on SNL one time.

During Mark Gruenwald' s run on Cap, two federal agents looking like the Blues Brothers seeking all the back tax Cap owes. It is just before John Walker takes over as Cap.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

During Mark Gruenwald' s run on Cap, two federal agents looking like the Blues Brothers seeking all the back tax Cap owes. It is just before John Walker takes over as Cap.

That's awesome. Thanks.

I also found out that he was in a comic called the Badger.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does MAD count? Because I'll bet he shows up a lot in there

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

There's Jake Farber and Elwood McNulty of Marvel's FBI, who were drawn to look exactly like the Blues Brothers and showed up a few times according to that there link.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

Elwood McNulty

The gently caress did I do?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The appearances in the Badger comic are pretty interesting because there are two Belushi-related stories, two issues apart, and they have completely different tones.

The first issue is about the Badger teaming up with Elvis and Bruce Lee to take on Colonel Sanders and Belushi's samurai persona. It's completely silly and the ending is the hardest I've laughed at a comic in a long, long time.

Two issues later, there's a story where the Badger is hired as a trainer/babysitter (keep an eye on him to make sure he stays clean) for a Belushi stand-in. This comic came out in 1991 and fittingly enough, the character's name is Farley Blutarsky. I guess the writer saw the writing on the wall for the new guy on SNL before most everyone else. As you can guess, this story is played completely serious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop using us to do your homework for your website, Gavok. ;)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Oh, also Marvel UK had their own version of the Blues Brothers, the Sleeze Brothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleeze_Brothers

I mostly remember them as they appeared in a few Transformers UK issues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Stop using us to do your homework for your website, Gavok. ;)

Hey, man, you're not the one who has to deal with comment sections full of, "Um, actually!"

Anyway, on a different note, a few months ago someone posted these awesome pages in the touching panels thread about Megatron joining the Autobots and then being accused of possibly turning evil again in the future and going on a murder spree. What ever happened with that story?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Hey, man, you're not the one who has to deal with comment sections full of, "Um, actually!"

Anyway, on a different note, a few months ago someone posted these awesome pages in the touching panels thread about Megatron joining the Autobots and then being accused of possibly turning evil again in the future and going on a murder spree. What ever happened with that story?

Boy have I got the shirt for you!

http://www.comedybutton.com/collections/merchandise/products/actually-shirt-mens

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gavok posted:

It continued in More than Meets the eye, and he is still an autobot and still no one can trust him.
He did not commit the murder spree and he ended up saving the day but that's not to say all suspicion and distrust has been averted or that Megatron's character arc in the story was straightforward at all, or even if Megatron is 100% A Good Guy (he still would put a few hundred cybertronian lives above the lives of billions of organics).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IDW has been really good at making Megatron a sympathetic character, really. All he wanted to do was write poetry, but society forced him to be a miner because that's what his alt mode was. Even the Decepticon rebellion was supposed to be non-violent but he just got broken down by everything.

Granted, that doesn't excuse him from attempted genocide and starting leading a multi-million year war, but still.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well it's not so much IDW doing it as much as it is James Roberts being a phenomenal writer.
it helps that he writes megs as a bitter old man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new direction for Megatron is the greatest thing that's ever been done with the character.

Case in point, Megatron is on trial for his war crimes and has decided to change his plea

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The new direction for Megatron is the greatest thing that's ever been done with the character.

Case in point, Megatron is on trial for his war crimes and has decided to change his plea

...What the gently caress is Optimus wearing/being?

And what's Megs' defence?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 8, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's like how British lawyers wear those stupid wigs. The Judge in a Cybertronian trial wears a crowny thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

"It was the 80s man, I was strung out on energon, I wasn't in my right mind!"

alternately

"It wasn't me! ...Seriously, go to my wiki page, there's like 15 Megatrons, I don't even know which one I am."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only real continuity is Beast Wars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

...What the gently caress is Optimus wearing/being?

Something about the Knights of Cybertron (a potentially mythical group of Cybertronians) being the only adequate peers to properly judge him, so he got them to fit him with a power disabler and let him co-captain Rodimus's ship to find said Knights.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It's like how British lawyers wear those stupid wigs. The Judge in a Cybertronian trial wears a crowny thing.

Hey those wigs aren't stupid. We wear them for totally legitimate reasons. Like how the wig industry needs us to survive. Like how head lice among prisoners could make a come back.

Endless Mike posted:

Something about the Knights of Cybertron (a potentially mythical group of Cybertronians) being the only adequate peers to properly judge him, so he got them to fit him with a power disabler and let him co-captain Rodimus's ship to find said Knights.

On the one hand that is a pretty crazy length to go to in relation to one trial. On the other hand, when the judge is your literal nemesis, I can see where Megs is coming from. He's going for literally the only Transformers who aren't aware of who he is and what he has done.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Megatron only changed his plea after starscream used his chance to testify with a long and hilariously demeaning speech.

basically megatron was pleading guilty and hoping for a quick trial and execution but starscream hosed up everything again

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Where do I start reading with IDW Transformers? Holy poo poo this all sounds really interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Death of Optimus is the start for the two ongoings and then you can read the two ongoings through.

Only other prerequisites I'd recommend are the comics written by James Roberts from before the ongoing: Last Stand of the Wreckers for some events in his comic and Chaos Theory, two issues of the previous ongoing. This is more important for the megs business, its about prime and megs during the war finally having a discussion and has some of their past history as well, including one of megatrons major motivations.

More than Meets the Eye is where all this megatron business happens, and is by James Roberts.
Robots in Disguise is the other ongoing not by james roberts, and it's not as good but still interesting and plot relevant, for instance it explains why starscream is running things on cybertron

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Acne Rain posted:

Death of Optimus is the start for the two ongoings and then you can read the two ongoings through.

Only other prerequisites I'd recommend are the comics written by James Roberts from before the ongoing: Last Stand of the Wreckers for some events in his comic and Chaos Theory, two issues of the previous ongoing. This is more important for the megs business, its about prime and megs during the war finally having a discussion and has some of their past history as well, including one of megatrons major motivations.

More than Meets the Eye is where all this megatron business happens, and is by James Roberts.
Robots in Disguise is the other ongoing not by james roberts, and it's not as good but still interesting and plot relevant, for instance it explains why starscream is running things on cybertron

Thanks! I'll start looking into it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Where do I start reading with IDW Transformers? Holy poo poo this all sounds really interesting.

MTMTE is really good comics by any estimation other than some sketchy art in some issues. RID is also good, but not quite so much. MTMTE technically spins off of the first or second issue of RID, but it's not terribly important.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last Stand of the Wreckers is a key story and if you don't read it you're seriously missing out. Then skip to Death of Optimus Prime which leads right into the two ongoings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I read Last Stand last year, so I'm totally good there.