Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Thwomp posted:

Laythe has been preliminary found to have lakes of beer/cheese/beer-cheese soup. You must colonize this world.

That's fine for a mission pack / DLC or something, but I like that right now it's just these little green folks, and they have a space program. There are contracts if you want something defined to do, but basically you make your own goals and set out to get there. What's wrong with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

As far as I know it's NovaPunch that has the Vostok / Voskhod style side tanks, and those lattice-y sections between stages too. I don't know what they are called sorry. Kudos to anyone who can make a useful rocket with them though.

Are you kidding? Those K1 parts made a simple, great lifter in 6 parts. Just the top does 10t, the upper 2 stages about 20t and the full thing with some SRBs will lift 45t or so.

As a rough example:

Add extra tanks to the middle section for more dV as the engine is a little more powerful than it needs. Mousing over the tanks even tells you which engine to stick on it. This is the standard stack I've been using to farm contracts. The radial bit is a probe core + battery so I can boost something to Mun/Minmus and still recover the booster section.

karl fungus posted:

Very nice, but let's go a step forward. Let's go with the biggest available stock wheels.

And here is one I built 2 years ago to mine kethane on Minmus. Overkill++

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Are you kidding? Those K1 parts made a simple, great lifter in 6 parts. Just the top does 10t, the upper 2 stages about 20t and the full thing with some SRBs will lift 45t or so.

As a rough example:

Add extra tanks to the middle section for more dV as the engine is a little more powerful than it needs. Mousing over the tanks even tells you which engine to stick on it. This is the standard stack I've been using to farm contracts. The radial bit is a probe core + battery so I can boost something to Mun/Minmus and still recover the booster section.

And here is one I built 2 years ago to mine kethane on Minmus. Overkill++

Needed more solar arrays.

Mine looks completely different. No screenshots apparently. i'll try to do one tomorrow.

So to make up for it:

Kerbal Birdman comp of sorts.

These boosters have been lying around near KSC for a while as a ...reminder. Completely full and good to go.
The tadpole buggy driver tried attaching a command seat. It was a conditional success.
That unusual wheeled vehicle backed up to it and attached with the Klaw. it worked conditionally too. The downside was no feedback on engine status. And losing fins whilst using the hill as a launch ramp.

I goof off a lot with Kerbal yard art.

e: Forgot to ask. is ~190m/s terminal velocity for ground level? Every ground vehicle I tried to make would flip at that speed.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

I goof off a lot with Kerbal yard art.

e: Forgot to ask. is ~190m/s terminal velocity for ground level? Every ground vehicle I tried to make would flip at that speed.

That's something KSP needs as a mod, concrete blocks to leave things chocked up on. As to the speed, it's well over sea level terminal velocity - 190m/s == 425 mph mate, just about anything is going to take off at that speed without spoilers n poo poo ;)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I appreciate the 50 different mod recommendations, but I meant Soyuz-style stock tanks. Sorry for the confusion. :shobon:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Maxmaps posted:

It's in. :ssh:

You're the best guy. :allears:

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
What happens if you park a vehicle on a building, like the VAB, then upgrade the building?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EpicPhoton posted:

What happens if you park a vehicle on a building, like the VAB, then upgrade the building?

Why not find out and report back?

You know... for science :jeb::hf::science:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Otacon posted:

Oh poo poo, are you telling me I can use VMware and run KSPx64 on linux through that?

O_O tonight is about to get interesting

EDIT: preliminary searching reveals that performance inside a VM is really slow, so looks like I'll have to dust off my dual-boot skills. Shame about Winx64 and Unity but if it allows Squad to focus their resources elsewhere it's definitely for the best.

The good news is, dual booting these days is really easy.

Maxmaps posted:

It's in. :ssh:

Maxmaps for supreme dictator-for-life.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

Maxmaps for supreme dictator-for-life.

Putin might have something against that :rimshot:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

Putin might have something against that :rimshot:

Well if its a contest of space programs I think we know who wins.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I would like NovaPunch a lot better if the texture work were better. As it is, compared to KW, RLA, StarShine, or even stock, it's just... lacking.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

Well if its a contest of space programs I think we know who wins.

Yeah but going on past performance it's more likely to be who has the most polonium sandwiches ready for deployment.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I would like NovaPunch a lot better if the texture work were better. As it is, compared to KW, RLA, StarShine, or even stock, it's just... lacking.

A few people say that yes but I just don't see it but then again I am rather far from the artistic end of the spectrum. They are parts which fit in with what I want to do so I use them :shrug: I delete the odin, thor and fairing parts though, I have no use for those.

I noticed a weird bug with docking ports today. I sent up a lander built docked with the transfer vehicle. When I hit decouple the 2 ships were created but they acted as if an unbreakable magnetic lock still joined them together. I had to switch to another ship and switch back, then the 2 ships floated apart. It happened again later so it seems reproducible. Anyone else seen this happening?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Surely you mean terrible? NovaPunch has horrid texturework unless there was a VERY major overhaul recently

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

That's something KSP needs as a mod, concrete blocks to leave things chocked up on. As to the speed, it's well over sea level terminal velocity - 190m/s == 425 mph mate, just about anything is going to take off at that speed without spoilers n poo poo ;)

There's definitely something magical about the speed. It falls somewhere between 180 and 190m/s. Every time I tried to exceed it, no matter how stable the vehicle up to that point it would suddenly roll to one side. I even tried jet engines over every wheel along with the spoilers, and without the spoilers. The need to twist was always at a specific velocity.

I was in the process of building a high speed land vehicle as an alternate to aeroplanes when I discovered it. Such a shame because it could even handle rough terrain up to that speed. Like a lot of my land vehicles it used torsion beam suspension.

With the Odin and fairings I agree. If I could be bothered I would have deleted them too. I've never used them. It's just a lot of clutter.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Inacio posted:

Surely you mean terrible? NovaPunch has horrid texturework unless there was a VERY major overhaul recently

I think that's what they're saying.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

EpicPhoton posted:

Naturally, I read this right as I have to go to work. If no one else tests this before I get home tonight, I'll try and post it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I can't think of a poster I'd want in my bedroom for the rest of my life, let alone something I'd put on my body.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Trampstamp with "Jeb's Junkyard" in script.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Ask the tattoo thread, they might come up with some ideas for you (or artists to check out, at least).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Met posted:

I can't think of a poster I'd want in my bedroom for the rest of my life, let alone something I'd put on my body.

The KSP rocket without the text would be pretty cool.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tramp stamp of Jeb riding a rocket from the "launch pad"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

haveblue posted:

-We've forgotten what we wrote on that flag, send someone to read its plaque.
I will be genuinely disappointed if this doesn't make stock.

I haven't seen anyone mention the contract rewards as something that could be improved. My favourite contracts are the Kerbal rescues and the experimentals. All the others just give money/science/rep as rewards, but the experimentals let you play with things you haven't unlocked yet, and the Kerbal rescues give you a free Kerbal. The pure number go up nature of the other contract rewards definitely contribute to the grindy feeling.

Possible other rewards:

- Free/reduced part unlocks (if individual purchase is on).
- Partial building upgrades (e.g. increase part/weight limit by X)
- Discounts on building upgrades/science.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Splicer posted:

and the Kerbal rescues give you a free Kerbal.

To be fair...it's not like Kerbals cost anything.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Luneshot posted:

Actually, you are capped at the # of kerbals for the first few tiers of the crew building. Anyone check to see if they get rescue contracts if they're at the cap, and if so if they still get the free kerbal? Being able to go over your cap would have marginal utility, and if nothing else you're definitely more invested in your stray/rescued puppies kerbals.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

-We've forgotten what we wrote on that flag, send someone to read its plaque.

Extension:
- Environmental org is concerned about pollution by flags, they require you to remove that flag and bring it back
(Kerbal taking down the flag would get "marked" as having to return for mission completion)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

I play with MCE2 because I like the "story mode". They cost four grand a piece whether you rescue them or not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I don't see removing flags as a viable contract unless it was a flag generated for the mission.

Another good one would be after the Klaw unlocks to spawn a debris piece/piece of girder with an experiment on it in orbit or on a body and ask you to retrieve it safely to Kerbin.

"Our scientists have managed a great achievement with their experiments. Unfortunately, they aren't rocket scientists and neglected to put a return engine to retrieve the data. Bring back our satellite!"

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 7, 2015

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
-Someone called Pott Manly says Jool is made from weed. We'd like you to go check.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Ratzap posted:

I noticed a weird bug with docking ports today. I sent up a lander built docked with the transfer vehicle. When I hit decouple the 2 ships were created but they acted as if an unbreakable magnetic lock still joined them together. I had to switch to another ship and switch back, then the 2 ships floated apart. It happened again later so it seems reproducible. Anyone else seen this happening?

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? It's a known bug but overwriting the DLL with the one from the Github repo itself fixes it: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/tree/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

-Someone called Pott Manly says Jool is made from weed. We'd like you to go check.

Taylor Swift MK1 is away

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Naturally, I read this right as I have to go to work. If no one else tests this before I get home tonight, I'll try and post it.

Laaaaaaaaaame...

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hahahaha, you motherfuckers. I came home early (for unrelated reasons), sat down, no posts in the KSP thread. I fired up the game, started work on setting the stage and building the craft. During a MJ launch, I alt-tab out to SA... and not only has someone done the experiment, someone else posted the Swif Gif I was gonna add at the end.

EFB psychically.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 7, 2015

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

Do you go?
I was hoping for some danny2462-style falling through the planet shenanigans. Or at least an explosion.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

EpicPhoton posted:

I was hoping for some danny2462-style falling through the planet shenanigans. Or at least an explosion.

I kinda figured it would explode. I'm disappointed, too. Bring it in.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I had to upgrade the launchpad in my lovely career game because individual parts I wanted to use are heavier than the pad weight limit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Spend 10-15 minutes making an intricate multi-satellite carrying rocket so you can set up a Minmus comms network in a single launch? Great! Everything looks beautiful! And then I hit save and KSP crashes, and I restart and not only is that rocket not saved, but none of the other rockets I've built this career exist anymore to load. I hit load and nothing happens. Great. That's wonderful. Sigh. I can't even say it's mods, because my install just spazzes the gently caress out sometimes even on stock. It's really getting me down, but there's no solution.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

Spend 10-15 minutes making an intricate multi-satellite carrying rocket so you can set up a Minmus comms network in a single launch? Great! Everything looks beautiful! And then I hit save and KSP crashes, and I restart and not only is that rocket not saved, but none of the other rockets I've built this career exist anymore to load. I hit load and nothing happens. Great. That's wonderful. Sigh. I can't even say it's mods, because my install just spazzes the gently caress out sometimes even on stock. It's really getting me down, but there's no solution.

They exist. Go to your save folder and remove the latest craft file...when one craft file in your VAB folder is corrupt, the load button stops working. The save button too, for that matter. Might be an older file, but usually its the latest. You can also try copying them in one at a time and testing to see which one breaks the load button.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I did a simple retrograde sat contract, and on the way back to the launch pad one of my engines exploded and my craft started wigging out. I hit the screenshot key a few times and caught the debris of a second engine exploding.

Here is the mission log. It reports my engines collided with the Launch Pad at 150~200m.

After this, the craft started jerking around and then fell over.

Only mod installed is kOS remnant from last version.

edit: Here is the wobble.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Krittick posted:

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? It's a known bug but overwriting the DLL with the one from the Github repo itself fixes it: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/tree/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin

Yes I do (RSS got me addicted to the slow physics application). Many thanks, I'll grab that DLL.