Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Re: Trails in the Sky's NPCs and their benefits - thanks, guys. It seems indeed that there isn't much material gain to be had from NPCs (unless you have a quest tied to them), with the exception of free book chapters you can get from different people (first one you get from the dad of one of the kids involved in the first mission; the second one you get from a soldier posted on the gate leading to the outskirts of the second town). If you miss them, you can buy them anyhow at a store, Mass Effect 3-style, for 1000 mira.

The music in this game is worth of praise. The battle theme reminds me of BOF 3 and (mainly, actually) Gunbound. It's so cheery. I was quite surprised to hear some Samba inflections in the second town's theme, also. How nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Anyone know if the GoG version of KOTOR 2 comes pre-patched to 1.0b?
Yes.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

Re: Trails in the Sky's NPCs and their benefits - thanks, guys. It seems indeed that there isn't much material gain to be had from NPCs (unless you have a quest tied to them), with the exception of free book chapters you can get from different people (first one you get from the dad of one of the kids involved in the first mission; the second one you get from a soldier posted on the gate leading to the outskirts of the second town). If you miss them, you can buy them anyhow at a store, Mass Effect 3-style, for 1000 mira.

The music in this game is worth of praise. The battle theme reminds me of BOF 3 and (mainly, actually) Gunbound. It's so cheery. I was quite surprised to hear some Samba inflections in the second town's theme, also. How nice.

Actually, you can only buy the first two or chapters of that book, period. The rest you have to get from NPCs at certain time frames.

Not that the point where you could possibly have one of the ultimate weapons from getting all the books is difficult enough to demand it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
What's wrong with Snow Queen? I still haven't gotten around to even finishing the main path.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doctor Goat posted:

What's wrong with Snow Queen?
It's a path that kicks in shortly after the beginning, but expects you to already be at level 20+ and involves insanely tough dungeons.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The Divinity games are on sale, and I've never played any of them. I know loads of people are loving the new one, but I wanted to try out the old ones since they're a bit cheaper and my laptop is pretty lovely. I'll probably just get the anthology for six bucks, which includes Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and D2: Developer's Cut. My laptop probably won't even play D2, but I'll be building a PC in the coming months anyway.
Are they all great? Do the originals hold up? Recently I've been enjoying Trails in the Sky and Shadowrun so I'm down to play some classic RPGs of differing styles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Divine Divinty is pretty cool, it's kind of a mash-up of Diablo ARPG-ing with Baldur's Gate style huge open world and poo poo loads of quests and stuff. It also suffers from the sort of rough edges only a CRPG from the early 2000's can have.

Beyond Divinty is bad.

Divinty 2 is a good 3D open world RPG with tons to do but some really weird balance issues that mean the game flips between being hard and easy almost within seconds. It's closer to the Gothic games than something like Elder Scrolls, without being quite as punishing at the start.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 6, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Divine Divinity feels like Ultima 7 with Diablo's interface. It's balls hard in the beginning with one of the worst tutorial dungeons ever created but opens up to a massive action RPG after that.

If you want the beginning of the game to be fun then put your skill points into freeze and hell spikes or at least one point in deadly gift. Death scorpion was nerfed in the GOG patched version and it's still the most powerful item in the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Yep, I'm done with Popful Mail. Got to the Sun Golem and saying "gently caress it". I guess I missed an item shop at Tree Sun and its just not worth dealing with the bullshit enemies to go back there.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Through various sales and second hand store visits I own both The Witcher and The Witcher 2, but never got around to playing them. I understand that The Witcher 2 is pretty highly regarded, but I figured that I should probably play the first one first. It feels... really janky, though. I'm only just after the opening castle segment and it's not really grabbing me. I installed the Combat Rebalance mod since I'd heard at some point that it was the way to play the game, but maybe that was a mistake? I am playing on easy though.

Is it worth persevering through the first game before trying the second? Will I miss out on much? Does The Witcher 1 pick up after a while?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No, if you're not enjoying 1 skip to 2. 2 does a good enough job of introducing stuff to you so you're not completely confused about what's going on.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 6, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Through various sales and second hand store visits I own both The Witcher and The Witcher 2, but never got around to playing them. I understand that The Witcher 2 is pretty highly regarded, but I figured that I should probably play the first one first. It feels... really janky, though. I'm only just after the opening castle segment and it's not really grabbing me. I installed the Combat Rebalance mod since I'd heard at some point that it was the way to play the game, but maybe that was a mistake? I am playing on easy though.

Is it worth persevering through the first game before trying the second? Will I miss out on much? Does The Witcher 1 pick up after a while?

The combat in Witcher 1 is way, way loving worse.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

corn in the bible posted:

The combat in Witcher 1 is way, way loving worse.

I liked combat in W1. You just have to remember to always prep with potions for tougher battles. Alchemy us really important here. Plus sone of the signs make life a lot easier as well. Once you do that and get the flow, it's good. I felt also that the writing and plot itself were better in 1 vs 2.

Edit: as far as being a bit jaunky, so was Gothic 2, Morrowind, STALKER, etc... they were all still great games.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Doctor Goat posted:

What's wrong with Snow Queen? I still haven't gotten around to even finishing the main path.

You have 3 real world hours to traverse 3 dungeons and beat their bosses in whatever order you like (with one being the intended route and one being the "hard" route with an extra reward for it) and then still finish up. It's not hard or whatever - doubly so when you realise that right off the bat you can buy Charm Bullets for everyone :v:; it's just a time management trial more than anything else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

You have 3 real world hours to traverse 3 dungeons and beat their bosses in whatever order you like (with one being the intended route and one being the "hard" route with an extra reward for it) and then still finish up. It's not hard or whatever - doubly so when you realise that right off the bat you can buy Charm Bullets for everyone :v:; it's just a time management trial more than anything else.

Do they track the game while it's in the menu because I was shocked to realize that your play time is based on the PSP's internal clock, not how long you actually spent playing the game.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

No, if you're not enjoying 1 skip to 2. 2 does a good enough job of introducing stuff to you so you're not completely confused about what's going on.

Agreed. I dropped 1 after about 7 hours of playing, then started up 2 and played it to completion without feeling like I missed anything important at all.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Agreed. I dropped 1 after about 7 hours of playing, then started up 2 and played it to completion without feeling like I missed anything important at all.

Good to know. Is that one okay to play vanilla or are there essential mods or the like?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Dr Snofeld posted:

The secret is that both Witcher games are utterly mediocre but there were no other even half-decent CRPGs being released at the time so they got praised to high-hell simply for existing and not being terrible.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've played both and thought both were meh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll disagree and say that they're both good games and few other RPGs have attempted a choice driven system on that level other than Obsidian. The first game has a great payoff in the end and the second has two dramatically different mid-games. Your appreciation of them is how much you tolerate the combat which can be hit and miss. I can't deny the first game shows its age.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

Good to know. Is that one okay to play vanilla or are there essential mods or the like?

I remember using some gameplay balance mods that made the game a little harder but nothing major. You could probably just play it vanilla and have a blast.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the witcher 1 is an incredibly boring single player mmo

the witcher 2 gives you an invincibility spell at the start of the game

the author of the novels has said the writing of the games is really dumb and I would have to agree

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

GulagDolls posted:

the author of the novels has said the writing of the games is really dumb and I would have to agree

Geralt is an outcast, untouchable, nigh on subhuman and yet he fucks every single woman he encounters because of reasons and "mature" storytelling because of sex and everything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

the witcher 1 is an incredibly boring single player mmo

the witcher 2 gives you an invincibility spell at the start of the game

Being such a purveyor of it I guess he'd know

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
IIRC, the hard route also has a gimmick where characters' personas get sealed if they die in battle,and you have to do a dungeon within the dungeon to get them back, and i want to say at least a few shards are missable, and some of them are tied to innocuous bullshit. Also, Persona 1 is just really tedious to actually play regardless of the version, and should really be skipped for any of the other games in the franchise.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

al-azad posted:

Persona 2 Innocent Sin is miles above the original game. It's still very rough with drawn out battles and awkward balance. It's not uncommon in early SMT games to breeze through an area's enemies only to fight one type you have no strengths against that wrecks your party in a couple hits. It's really bad in the early games where there's like 5 different melee attributes.

Persona 3 Portable is graphically toned down from the PS2 version but has Persona 4's combat improvements like manual control for your party members. You also don't get tired in the loving dungeon.

e: Actually you still get tired but can buy an item that removes it.

Alternately if you have a decent PC and a controller it runs well in PCSX2 and I think you can fast forward slightly so that's always nice.

I bought Persona 3, played it then got FES and didn't like the soundtrack as much. But I found a patch that'll rip the soundtrack out of Persona and inject it into FES, so that's pretty sweet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

spudsbuckley posted:

Geralt is an outcast, untouchable, nigh on subhuman and yet he fucks every single woman he encounters because of reasons and "mature" storytelling because of sex and everything.

That's the same for the books, honestly.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think the witcher games are fun and cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Geralt's gently caress-everything stuff in The Witcher is kinda goofy but I genuinely enjoy most of the rest of it. It's not high art but it isn't really trying to be either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I never really got the impression it was trying to be super gritty and mature. It seemed pretty comfortable in its dark fantasy schlockiness.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's the same for the books, honestly.

Someone read a lot of terrible Terry Goodkind books I see.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

spudsbuckley posted:

Naw, he's a dying relic in a world that doesn't care for him and he's not that strong as fantasy protagonists go, a farmer with a pitchfork managed to kill him. He's got all the stylings of an edgy fantasy hero that a teenager would think up but the narrative just loves making GBS threads on him, i.e. the entire plot of Witcher 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Naw, he's a dying relic in a world that doesn't care for him and he's not that strong as fantasy protagonists go, a farmer with a pitchfork managed to kill him. He's got all the stylings of an edgy fantasy hero that a teenager would think up but the narrative just loves making GBS threads on him, i.e. the entire plot of Witcher 2.

He also talks about how witchers are neutral and poo poo but Geralt is so far from neutral. He professes to being a free agent but jumps at any injustice. If the normal sword and sorcery hero is someone who attracts trouble then Geralt is someone who intentionally looks for it.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

RadicalR posted:

You got spaces in your path name? That'll cause problems. Post the error message, I've seen a few.

I tried removing the spaces but it's still just hanging at Verifying Disc... screen. The error message in the DOS prompt says there is an error loading lua-interface.lua and then it says there is a bad file descriptor. I'm assuming I point the original image to the .img file (I converted it from .CCD) and then just make a filename for the patched image. No matter what I do is just says Verifying Disc... then does nothing. Thanks for the help.

OMG the feels I totally forgot how good the soundtrack was to that game.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 7, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ughhhhhhhhh stop.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

All Else Failed posted:

I tried removing the spaces but it's still just hanging at Verifying Disc... screen. The error message in the DOS prompt says there is an error loading lua-interface.lua and then it says there is a bad file descriptor. I'm assuming I point the original image to the .img file (I converted it from .CCD) and then just make a filename for the patched image. No matter what I do is just says Verifying Disc... then does nothing. Thanks for the help.

OMG the feels I totally forgot how good the soundtrack was to that game.

have you tried an iso or a bin?

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

RadicalR posted:

have you tried an iso or a bin?

I just deleted everything and redownloaded, and same thing with this other version, it's a .bin.ecm which I had no idea what it was but used a converter I found to change it to a .img which is then recognized by the patcher whereas a .ecm wasn't. I've never had this much of an issue before with something that ostensibly works.

I hope I'm not making GBS threads up the thread with this stuff. I just wanna experience a much-lauded RPG without running into some irritating bug!

Let me try to use a different tool and see if I can convert to a straight .bin or .iso.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 7, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I thought I was the only one not grabbed by The Witcher. The games are pretty, and there's something cool about like a Hard R rated CRPG, but the actual gameplay is loving terrible. ]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Might want to not mention :filez: here. But from what I can see, the patcher doesn't like your format.