Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to improve the Jester's frontline debuff? I love having a Jester in front because that skill looks awesome but I'm question its usefulness in most scenarios. I mean even with a crit it only does two damage so what you really want from it is the debuff. I haven't seen the chances of applying that debuff rise at all with levels though, and monster resistances do so how is it supposed to stay useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Baronjutter posted:

I’m sorry Red Hook, I’m done.

I tried to defend you guys on the forums.
I backed you back in May.
I watched your Dev Streams and even bought a copy for my brother.
I offered to buy a large amount of keys for your game to various Twitch Streamers.

I hadn’t played in 72 hours.
I get on today, am going through a dungeon, camp, and am fully healed. My heroes have stress levels of either 0 or less than 10.
We are awakened in the middle of our camp and the monsters go first, all of them.
3 of them crited in the 1st turn. TPK.
Fully healed with little to no stress and my party wiped out!
Not through anything I did, but through a stupid game mechanic. It’s not as if I made a bad decision I never got to make a decision, they game shoved a red hot poker into my nether regions before I could act.

Again, I wanted the game to be so much fun. I backed you and supported you. I trumpeted your name, but this is ridiculous. This wipe wasn’t ‘game ending’ but I don’t want to play a game that is that nuts. You might as well have me push a button, have a picture of Tyler or Chris or Kier waving the double duces at me with large letters that just say “**** YOU!” That might be more enjoyable.

Reply all you want. I’m done with the forums.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Weakness revealed in a single post

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to improve the Jester's frontline debuff? I love having a Jester in front because that skill looks awesome but I'm question its usefulness in most scenarios. I mean even with a crit it only does two damage so what you really want from it is the debuff. I haven't seen the chances of applying that debuff rise at all with levels though, and monster resistances do so how is it supposed to stay useful?

I have no idea either, tbh. I attempted to use it but it always felt like an awful choice compared to the other front-line options he has.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Baronjutter posted:

I've got my "main" crusader who's first quirk was what ever quirk makes it so he can only de-stress through meditation. Ever since, almost every quirk he's gotten has been one that bars him from a specific stress reliever, which he of course already can't do. He can ONLY meditate, but he also specifically can't gamble, whore, or drink. I'm not complaining, those quirks are soaking up potentially negative ones.

No idea. It would be cool it trait/quirks were somewhat influenced by what actually occurred in runs (with some randomness still), but that doesn't appear to be the case.

For my crusader who got both God Fearing and Witness, I sanitarium-ed away god fearing since he had a wall of positive traits. He's been to the sanitarium a lot actually, since he managed to develop a full wall of both positive and negative traits, but he was my first hero (only so far) to reach level 3. He also just got flagellant.

My first many weeks were insanity fests, and my healer died without a replacement for several weeks.
At week 15+, I have yet to see a second highwayman to replace my starter, who died early on.

Once I got a grave robber, and unlocked back row targeting skills, runs have been going way more smoothly.
Graverobber (with +crit, +dodge, -dmg trinket) crits a fair amount, reducing stress. Rolling with a holy lance crusader and hellion with the bleed attack and iron swan, I can usually take out back lines before stress mounts and the party composition is fairly tolerant of getting surprised/re-ordered.
I've had several runs now that were stress neutral, or even reduced stress, which is saving a lot of money on in town actions. Getting the vestal healer skills to level 2 seems minor, but its a pretty noticeable boost to overall healing.

That said, I've only killed the apprentice necromancer so far, so still plenty of time for things to go very pear shaped.
For the characters that are close to hitting lvl3 that I'm going to keep, I'll probably bench them and maybe remove a quirk or two so that I can still take them on a lvl 1 boss run.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Internet Kraken posted:

You could stack a bunch of +damage mods on him to nullify the damage penalty. I plan on doing a 2x occultist/plague doctor/jester party later to do exactly this.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Sickening posted:

Who else is cheating the game by making a copy of the save folder before you do something hard?

:getout:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They really should let you sell relics for money. I've got so many turboshitty ones I'm never going to use, that I'd immediately throw in the trashcan for some extra 'Fix this rear end in a top hat's brain' cash.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

RubberBands Hurt posted:

It's bullshit as far as the game is concerned, but zombie cthulhu cultists sneaking up on you while sleeping is game over in most related fiction I'd imagine. I mean, who actually uses the 4(?) point "don't sneak up on me" camp skills over combat buffs/etc.

Also, it seems that AoE skills are variable damage now, but they still link the miss/hit/crit status to one roll. That's almost certainly going to be changed to allow individual dodges/etc. It doesn't make sense with the wildly differing evasive stats on some characters (like a +40% dodge Grave Robber) unless they are going for some kind of crazy internal averaging of defense.

poo poo's not balanced, and wiping out progress (the player's real time spent is the most valuable resource in every game) without a way to prepare against it (like triple linked ambush crits) are typically something that will be tuned in the more fair direction. Same with stunlock strategies that trade time for safety - it's not something they'll fix right away, but it's not something they want to encourage if they can figure out how to offer alternatives they're happy with.

You're supposed to go crazy, or get attrited, or screw up your positioning/loadout and get punished for it. OCCASIONALLY you'll eat some bullshit to remind you you're mortal. But ambush multi crits all the way to dead when you're otherwise at full everything and buffed are usually in the unfun category.

...On the other hand, never camp without multiple high HP/high speed characters, supplementing with the "don't ambush me" camp skills that cost a lot of time because getting ambushed while sleeping is one of the worst things that can happen in 90% of adventuring games. A bit of :dealwithit:, and a bit of tuning because they don't want people to rage quit quite that easily when there's still such sights to show them.

You can occasionally have one character (grave robber) dodge an AoE that hits your entire party, but it's even more common for AoEs to miss your entire party when the grave robber is in the first position.

On the guy's story, the only monster pack in the game with 3 full party AoEs is 1 bloodletter and 2 fusiliers. Fusiliers have been nerfed so heavily and repeatedly that the only situation this pack could triple-crit kill 4 heroes before the player's first turn is with unupgraded heroes. There's certainly always a risk that you'll walk through a door and eat two high damage crits and then a fatal followup on the same character, but a full party wipe just shouldn't happen without a strategic mistake (not something like, "did I use this skill" but rather "did I send heroes in over their head". And as you noted, linked crits are pretty obviously something that's going to be made even less likely (though not impossible with a proper RNG).

And yeah, you should just deal with it if a triple-crit kills your unupgraded party. It cost you the time you spent in the dungeon, but that was always something you were risking anyway.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
goddamn the stress reduction on the crusader's camp skill when he's afflicted is amazing

if i have seven traits on either side and get an 8th, does it always just over-write the last one?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 7, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Lotish posted:

Hardest part of this game for me is coming up with names for all my guys. I've burned through a lot of my favorites, and I can't just leave them with generic names, my god no.
I use generator at http://www.behindthename.com/

Female Celtic for Hellion, etc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Verviticus posted:

goddamn the stress reduction on the crusader's camp skill when he's afflicted is amazing

if i have seven traits on either side and get an 8th, does it always just over-write the last one?

I wish I was sure about this. I have a crusader with maxed out positive traits and he keeps getting more, but I'm never paying enough attention to notice which one gets replaced. I wish it was like Pokemon learning new abilities and you got to select which one you wanted to forget.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My naming strategy for every game like this is to name them after actors or actresses that they vaguely resemble. Losing Gary Oldman the Highwayman is a lot more impactful than losing Portnoy the Gravedigger or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jackard posted:

I use generator at http://www.behindthename.com/

Female Celtic for Hellion, etc

My first result, choosing Russian:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I barely scraped through the swine king with just my occultist left at death's door. RIP other guys, :rip:.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Whoever designed the Hag fight period can eat poo poo and die. That's about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yardbomb posted:

Whoever designed the Hag fight period can eat poo poo and die. That's about it.

Yes, :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I love the Hag fight. Its probably one of the most memorable bosses I've seen in ages just because of how frustrating and horrifying it can be. Got some super badass party member? Hag doesn't give a poo poo, she'll just shove him into the pot for dinner. Better think fast! :witch:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I get there and the only people capable of hitting her are an Occultist and Plague Doctor (Because my prick Highwayman is 3 and won't go anymore). My Leper suddenly misses just about every hit with around 70% accuracy, on top of his accuracy buff from camping. My Crusader with some ridiculously high buffed damage percent can never hit either. This fatass crone might as well get eighty turns in a row when we have pretty average speed. The whole group had improved armor and weapons. Every time it's either the Leper or Crusader who get put in and I basically can't leave without them. I had multiple Ancestral trinkets on the team as well as my other actual good ones. Failed about 4 retreats in a row. Legit pissed at such a stupid fight and the shittiest loving dice rolls known to mankind taking my entire best lineup.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 7, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I love the Hag fight. Its probably one of the most memorable bosses I've seen in ages just because of how frustrating and horrifying it can be. Got some super badass party member? Hag doesn't give a poo poo, she'll just shove him into the pot for dinner. Better think fast! :witch:
And then she makes you taste them as they boil.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yardbomb posted:

I get there and the only people capable of hitting her are an Occultist and Plague Doctor (Because my prick Highwayman is 3 and won't go anymore). My Leper suddenly misses just about every hit with around 70% accuracy, on top of his accuracy buff from camping. My Crusader with some ridiculously high buffed damage percent can never hit either. This fatass crone might as well get eighty turns in a row when we have pretty average speed. The whole group had improved armor and weapons. Every time it's either the Leper or Crusader who get put in and I basically can't leave without them. I had multiple Ancestral trinkets on the team as well as my other actual good ones. Failed about 4 retreats in a row. Legit pissed at such a stupid fight and the shittiest loving dice rolls known to mankind taking my entire best lineup.

Fielding a team that struggles to damage the back row is a bad idea in general. That's why I usually have a hellion or 3 in my teams.

paranoid randroid posted:

And then she makes you taste them as they boil.

That is a pretty neat little touch.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah I hadn't read any spoilers and had no idea what to expect going into the fight. She pretty much cleared out my best team then I went in with 4 level 0 characters. 2 crusaders with holy lance, a bounty hunter and an occultist and rocked her by completely ignoring the pot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

vandalism posted:

I barely scraped through the swine king with just my occultist left at death's door. RIP other guys, :rip:.

Just lost my Dismas and my level 4 Jester to the Swine God. :rip:

Or, more specifically, to Wilbur. His little 1-point dealt both deathblows. >_<

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Verviticus posted:

Can confirm that is not the case (I only watched my first and last trait to see which got overwritten) instead some random one in the middle was overwritten

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Yardbomb posted:

Yep. See my previous post about RNG fuckery making Hag loving stupid.

That being said, I needed to burn a run for my nerds to recover, so for shits and giggles I went to the low level hag fight with 2 unupgraded grave robbers with lunge and the stun backstep dodge buff thing, and two crusaders with heal and Holy Lance. Hag got dropped and the most stress I had on a guy was 2.

Basically it's a fight that you need to build your party to beat. It's trivial if you go in with the "right" party, and brutal if you don't. I think that's lovely design since it's the very loving definition of artificial difficulty for the first time you face her.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

Some dudes on the DD forums claim that disorienting blast is completely tits, but in the same post they also say that grave robber is useless so I basically have no idea.

Isn't it identical to BH flashbang? except on a guy who doesn't crit for five million?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Yardbomb posted:

They really should let you sell relics for money. I've got so many turboshitty ones I'm never going to use, that I'd immediately throw in the trashcan for some extra 'Fix this rear end in a top hat's brain' cash.

I'm with you there. Wish I could sell off the crappy side-grade trinkets for money. I caught a dev video where they say they didn't want clear across the board upgrades for the trinkets, but the result so far seems like 75% of the trinkets are kinda crappy and not worth the trade offs. Ah well, early access and I'm sure they can fix that stuff up in time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you upgrade a character's stats? I hear people mentioning making their characters faster or what ever, but in the guild I only see skill upgrades. Am I missing some stat upgrade system or not understanding?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

How do you upgrade a character's stats? I hear people mentioning making their characters faster or what ever, but in the guild I only see skill upgrades. Am I missing some stat upgrade system or not understanding?

Blacksmith. Upgraded weapons increase speed.

That and trinkets.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Haroshia posted:

Basically it's a fight that you need to build your party to beat. It's trivial if you go in with the "right" party, and brutal if you don't. I think that's lovely design since it's the very loving definition of artificial difficulty for the first time you face her.

That's a really typical "roguelike" trope of face tanking dungeon tricks and doing it right the next time.

You might want to scout new areas with groups built to run away/sacrifice to learn the traps. There's an ancient legend floating around about adventurers exploring the lethal Tomb of Horrors with a flock of sheep.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Blacksmith. Upgraded weapons increase speed.

Oh thank God, I'm getting sick of an enemy group getting to smash my face in before I can even move.

Also, is this guy worth keeping, or would his bad quirks make him a detriment?

I've also got a guy who has both increased and decreased stress resistance in 75%+ light. Guess he doesn't really know if he loves or hates the light.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Truly he is a wretched thing.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Zaphod42 posted:

That and trinkets.

Two +bleed trinkets on my hellion, and she can now draw blood from skeletons which is pretty metal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh thank God, I'm getting sick of an enemy group getting to smash my face in before I can even move.

I've also got a guy who has both increased and decreased stress resistance in 75%+ light. Guess he doesn't really know if he loves or hates the light.

He's got Unyielding, so if you can get two of those +15% deathblow resistance amulets he can be literally unkillable.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

MadJackMcJack posted:

You just made me realize how awesome/terrible it would be if heroes who capped out on afflictions could just gently caress off during treatment or after snapping one too many times down below, showing back up latetr as some twisted thing you had to fight.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping/kicking anyone based on quirks. Whatever quirks they have will be replaced by new ones eventually and the only ones that make them bad at combat (diseases) seem to go away on their own after a few weeks.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Maybe something to put into the OP there, but this is a game where being unprepared is really dangerous. If you don't know how a boss is, or what the dungeon enemies are like, you really should consider pulling some fresh meat off the wagon and sending them in to scrape out whatever loot they can while you learn these things. Once you know how it is, you can setup your good guys to go in and actually win the day.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

Not a perfect trait combo, but I'd stick with him if I were you. Improved Balance (Move Resist) is IMO the best possible trait for a Leper, since pushback is the one thing that fucks that class up the most. He also has Steady (Stress Resist) and Unyielding (Deathblow Resist), which are excellent. Get his rear end into therapy to get rid of most of those bad quirks.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 7, 2015

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

Verviticus posted:

I asked the question earlier as well. Can also confirm that it overwrites a random quirk. There's no way for a character to have more than 7 positive quirks. You have no real control over positive quirks since eventually your good quirks will get so overwritten by a random one. Just stick with the character that has the highest experience and fewest negative quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Lockjaw's gotta go, though. It's up there with Creeping Cough and The Runs for me in terms of afflictions that get someone sent right to the sanitarium.

e. also I just realized that the Warrens area is a reference to The House on the Borderlands. Mutant pig-men living in tunnels underneath a remote estate.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2015