Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

terre packet posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent value bean? Safeway? Costco?

The Kirkland "Same beans as Starbucks" medium roast blend is pretty great. gently caress that french roast nonsense though. But the Kirkland "starbucks" blend works really well with cold brew.

If you have a Whole Foods near you they sell a pretty decent 365 brand morning blend for a reasonable price near their organic allegro bags too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Stocked up on a handful of coffees to discover my drip machine has died :negative: I've seen scouting for one which isn't out of budget. I was wanting to ask if this would be good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-667...ords=Technivorm

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Fluo posted:

Stocked up on a handful of coffees to discover my drip machine has died :negative: I've seen scouting for one which isn't out of budget. I was wanting to ask if this would be good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-667...ords=Technivorm

It's probably OK? It looks like a clone of a Moccamaster, and is apparently "approved" by the ECBC in the same manner that the Moccamaster is approved by the SCAA - should mean it ticks the proper boxes in terms of water heat and brew duration.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

terre packet posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent value bean? Safeway? Costco?

Some Safeway's do onsite roasting. Not top tier beans, but good beans, and fresh roasting makes a big difference.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In terms of value, nothing beats home roasting. You can get some great beans for ~$5-6/lb and end up with some pretty loving awesome coffee.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik posted:

In terms of value, nothing beats home roasting. You can get some great beans for ~$5-6/lb and end up with some pretty loving awesome coffee.

Yes and no. That assumes you can get a uniform roast you like consistently. I never could, so I wasted a lot of beans on under roasted, over roasted and, god help me, burnt and under roasted in the same batch. Never had as good as what I bought.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

torgeaux posted:

Yes and no. That assumes you can get a uniform roast you like consistently. I never could, so I wasted a lot of beans on under roasted, over roasted and, god help me, burnt and under roasted in the same batch. Never had as good as what I bought.

You should have zero problems if you use something like a whirlypop and keep the drat beans agitated.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ded posted:

You should have zero problems if you use something like a whirlypop and keep the drat beans agitated.

So people say. But, I've found my enormous inability to get consistent roasts more than overcomes the advantage I would get in the future. It just wasn't worth the incremental upgrade in quality for me.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Can anyone recommend a simple espresso blend to home roast?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hollis Brown posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple espresso blend to home roast?

https://www.sweetmarias.com/choosingcoffeeFAQ.php

https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee-list.html?espresso=194

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

torgeaux posted:

Man, I've had great luck with my Behmor. Biggest thing holding me back is my own fear of letting it go too long and torching a batch. What were you roasting in?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

a messed up horse posted:

Man, I've had great luck with my Behmor. Biggest thing holding me back is my own fear of letting it go too long and torching a batch. What were you roasting in?

Freshroast, which I got as a gift.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

a messed up horse posted:

Unless you are using the newer Behmor (or modified) it's kinda hard to gently caress up a batch, provided you weigh the beans correctly and use the setting for that amount. I typically need to add 15-45 seconds to a roast to get a nice city+. By default it won't even let you add more than 1.5-2 minutes to a roast anyways which shouldn't even put it into french roast territory.

torgeaux posted:

Spend $15 and get a whirlypop, if you have good ventilation. Check out some youtube vids on the use of it and never stop cranking till you take the pot off the heat. It works really drat well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I work in a cube now, so my old routine of grinding my own beans and boiling water and yada yada is too noisy now. And I'm really self conscious about annoying my workmates.

So I want to start brewing a day worth of coffee in the morning and taking it in in a nice insulated carafe so it stays warm all day. Do you all have opinions about carafes?

I was thinking about this because its a nice size and its glass inside. (In my experience metal can easily become permanently smelly and gross).

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I'll probably alternate between brewing in a big 34 oz french press and maybe some kind of double-batch aeropress bs.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Corla Plankun posted:

I work in a cube now, so my old routine of grinding my own beans and boiling water and yada yada is too noisy now. And I'm really self conscious about annoying my workmates.

So I want to start brewing a day worth of coffee in the morning and taking it in in a nice insulated carafe so it stays warm all day. Do you all have opinions about carafes?

I was thinking about this because its a nice size and its glass inside. (In my experience metal can easily become permanently smelly and gross).

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I'll probably alternate between brewing in a big 34 oz french press and maybe some kind of double-batch aeropress bs.

On a related topic has anyone come along and made a better hand grinder than the harios?

Right now I've been keeping a spare baratza locked in a filing cabinet at work, but I recognize this as ridiculous.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_14.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like my coffee strong but fairly low acid. I generally go for Sumatran. What others kinds should I be trying?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

When ordering a V60 is the number 2 the right size for one to two people?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it can comfortably fit at least 40 grams of grounds.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it can comfortably fit at least 40 grams of grounds.

Thank you!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Really? I don't have much problems with mine. If I push the batch size, I'll get a little variance in the roast, but nothing that's noticeable in the cup really. If I have beans that are really out one way or the other I just toss them, but that's usually at most 4 or 5 beans.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like my coffee strong but fairly low acid. I generally go for Sumatran. What others kinds should I be trying?

What do you mean by strong? Strong is really one of the most vague words people use when talking about coffee as it could mean a multitude of things and one of them is acidic. If you just mean not watery tasting then that's a brew ratio thing and not a bean region thing. If you want strong, low acid coffee, I'd use an Aeropress with Brazilian beans.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Man, that's really sad to hear. I've had great luck using the heat gun dog bowl method and the whirleypop method. Never had an uneven roast with either.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

This thing loving rocks my socks. Local shop had one laying around and I played with it long enough to order it with expedited shipping. Grinds consistently all the way across the spectrum. On par with the vario or preciso. It definitely is oriented towards espresso (bi modal grinds) but works very well for v60's and Kalitas. Haven't dialed in full immersion recipes for vacuum pots yet though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

torgeaux posted:

How are you using it? I've managed to get pretty good results by taking the whole roasting chamber and chaff collector and shaking it every 30 seconds for the first minute and a half, then 30 seconds on the cool setting you get by tapping the power button.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shugojin posted:

the
How are you using it? I've managed to get pretty good results by taking the whole roasting chamber and chaff collector and shaking it every 30 seconds for the first minute and a half, then 30 seconds on the cool setting you get by tapping the power button.

Tried the shake method, tried the stir.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What's a decent compact hand grinder that can do coarse and fine grinds with as much particle size consistency as possible?

I've looked at the OE LIDO 2 mentioned above and it's both too big (33cm tall) and too expensive (exactly the same cost as a Baratza Encore over here). I have a Hario Skereton from when I first got into coffee and, while it's okay for Aeropress because it's consistent when fine grinding, it can't do coarse enough grinds for pour-over because there's too much particle size variation.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

This mod is supposed to make the Hario much better for coarser grinds, I don't have either a Hario or the mod so I can't really comment on the effectiveness.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

torgeaux posted:

That is an issue with you and your skill set, and is in no way an indictment of home roasting. OR, you are correct, you should stop home roasting.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

wangvicous posted:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

This mod is supposed to make the Hario much better for coarser grinds, I don't have either a Hario or the mod so I can't really comment on the effectiveness.

Make sure you have a nice thin socket set - mine couldn't re-tighten the nut properly because the socket walls were too thick to get inside the recession in the ceramic.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

wangvicous posted:

It's effectiveness also depends on how well each particular burr is manufactured. Mine was warped a little making it impossible for me to get any "consistency". Those hand grinders are better for fine grinds. The reason there isn't a support on the axle is to allow the burr (if it's warped) to still get a somewhat consistent grind since the coffee grinds will keep the burr centered as it's grinding. The coarser you get, the worse the result.

I ended up getting a virtuoso but that's beside the point.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Anybody else in here rocking the Rancillo Rocky grinder? It's been about my most favorite thing since I bought it last November but there's a coupla tiny quirks about using it that I'm still brewing over.

1. Beans getting caught in the screw wells of the guard/diverter. I actually saw mention of this in Amazon reviews before I bought it. I can't imagine why they made the holes for the screws in the bean chamber large enough to trap beans. I solved this by chopping up the handle of a cheap wooden spoon and sticking the pieces in the screw wells.

2. Beans coming to a rest under the guard, on the tiny outcroppings around each of the guard's legs. It's hard to see when beans or bean fragments land on these little shelves without using a flashlight, so I always poke around under there with a wooden stirring stick after the bulk of the beans have passed through the burs to dislodge any stragglers and then pulse the burs again.

3. Always a healthy portion of ground material caught in the output chute. This is the part I hate. Once the last bit of your grounds have gravity fed through the burs there is no longer any material coming from behind to push the final grounds all the way out of the chute. So the first bit of material that you get into your cup on the next grind is the last bit of bean from the last grind. And if you change beans or alter the coarseness between grinds, you are going to end up with a mixed measure, if only slightly.

I imagine that this is an issue with most coffee bean grinders, and that if I would weigh out slightly more beans per grind, I could sacrifice the first little bit of material that is output each time. Currently, I just shove the wood stick up through the chute to dislodge what I can and rap on the back of the Rocky once or twice before pulsing the burs again. I also completely remove the output chute and guard once a week and clean out any old material.

So does anybody deal with these issues as well, either on their own Rocky or Baratza?

I have used my Rocky nearly every day since it arrived in the first week of November and it has always performed consistently; it literally changed everything about coffee for me. It has enabled me much drinking pleasure. I just wish I didn't feel as though I had to manage the tidiness of it's feed as much.

Also, in the interest of keeping you knuckleheads up to date on my hot water consumption, I bought an Ingenuitea and then swung over to Teavana to pick up a time capsule of grass clippings.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Got a Neru Drip coffee thing today and a grinder for about 15 bucks at a recycle shop. Both seem to be brand new. Will report back on if the neru drip is any good.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ned posted:

Got a Neru Drip coffee thing today and a grinder for about 15 bucks at a recycle shop. Both seem to be brand new. Will report back on if the neru drip is any good.

Is that the cloth drip thing also called the Nel?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

porktree posted:

That is an issue with you and your skill set, and is in no way an indictment of home roasting. OR, you are correct, you should stop home roasting.

Yes. And, for many people, if you have a local roaster with decent prices, it's a question of whether home roasting is worth it. For me, once i found good fresh roasted locally, struggling with my many failures wasn't worth it. Watching that loving green bean that just floats by over and over without changing color, usually next to the one that is black before first crack was maddening. Would have been worth it if it was that or internet beans, probably.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

dik-dik posted:

Is that the cloth drip thing also called the Nel?

Yeah! I didn't know what it was called in English and just went by the Japanese pronunciation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Got an aero press and want to get a metal filter for it. On Amazon I see the S filter (made by the dudes) a gold sheet with holes, stainless with holes or fake S filter.

I'm leaning towards the fake S filter, but wondering if anyone has used them.

Also, would an induction stainless or electric kettle heat faster?

I need to get a burr grinder as well and am leaning towards Porlex JP 30. I'm assuming this is what I'd need for a fine grind without needing to spend 200+. I'd get an electric, but they seem to be pretty large for single serves.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 11, 2015

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

Got an aero press and want to get a metal filter for it. On Amazon I see the S filter (made by the dudes) a gold sheet with holes, stainless with holes or fake S filter.

I'm leaning towards the fake S filter, but wondering if anyone has used them.

I haven't used the others, but I have used both of the Able Disks, which I bought straight from them for like $20 shipped. I like both of them quite a bit, and they are very easy to clean, so I'd give them a thumbs-up. If you decide to go with The Mesh, please report back with how you like it.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I have the S Filter and find it hard to fit, ever after using my Aeropress for like 6 months and doing the stretching of the filter basket like they suggest. The filter's thickness makes it hard to screw on to the body, especially when it's full of hot liquid...

Nevermind, I have the knockoff S filter, not the real deal. Seems like some people have the same issues I do, though, based on the one-star reviews.

Was at the local mall yesterday and saw that the coffee shop had a sale going

Only ¥2,000 ($20)! Japan is awesome.

If anyone is wanting some obscure or hard to order Japanese coffee stuff I can try and find it and bring it with me to US, just let me know.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Been playing around with press pot variables. Generally, brighter, lighter roasts get steeped shorter than darker ones, correct?