Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A MIRACLE posted:

hey supercop! owns

Right up to Drunken Master II hes gold. Then slowly he will co star with Owen Wilson...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

da weed wizard posted:

Anything good on Netflix or Amazon in the vein of Lock Stock/Snatch or Trainspotting? Funny UK folk saying oval office a lot, basically.

If you're not restricted by region:

Rocknrolla
Layer Cake
This is England
Attack the Block
Down Terrace
Football Factory
Four Lions
Human Traffic
Filth

outy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 6, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

they should remove this fake lovely Scrubs from Netflix and not bring it back unless they get new licensing rights for the music. it'd be one thing if they at least tried to find decent replacements but its all generic filler music

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Aye Doc posted:

they should remove this fake lovely Scrubs from Netflix and not bring it back unless they get new licensing rights for the music. it'd be one thing if they at least tried to find decent replacements but its all generic filler music
Too bad the show peaked, like, seven seasons before it ended.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that's why it sucks, all the music they replaced is in season 2!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

da weed wizard posted:

Anything good on Netflix or Amazon in the vein of Lock Stock/Snatch or Trainspotting? Funny UK folk saying oval office a lot, basically.

Snatch.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Snatch.

Oh, and Trainspotting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Too bad the show peaked, like, seven seasons before it ended.

Word. The first two seasons are some of the best on television, the last seven are progressively sadder and crappier.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

outy posted:

Oh, and Trainspotting.

Sorry I missed Snatch and the "/".

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I just watched Horns. Was that supposed to make sense?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Malt posted:

I just watched Horns. Was that supposed to make sense?

I just watched it too. It was dumb

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Horns was fun and I enjoyed the first three quarters or so of it.

Not really spoilers, but if you want to go in as blind as possible you should skip this.
I thought the ending and the "turn" were terrible. It went from a very interesting and different story to the most clichéd "young adult" ending possible. At some point it basically turns into an edgier Twilight, and that killed it for me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

Is showgirls a get drunk and enjoy it because it's so bad it's good sort of film?

Showgirls is worth watching just for the worst sex scene ever caught on film

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

da weed wizard posted:

Filth is good, but its not exactly a comedy. McAvoy is a very good actor and I'm surprised he's not in more movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/

quote:

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pycckuu posted:

Filth is good, but its not exactly a comedy. McAvoy is a very good actor and I'm surprised he's not in more movies.

I would definitely second Filth as a funny and fast paced UK film, but it doesn't feel like a Guy Ritchie movie to me. It is absolutely worth watching though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I already made this joke elsewhere, but they need to cast Kristen Schaal as Navi so they can have her say "HEY LISTEN"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Showgirls is worth watching just for the worst sex scene ever caught on film

Second worst. Enemy at the Gates has the worst

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Medullah posted:

Second worst. Enemy at the Gates has the worst

I dunno, Irreversible has a pretty bad sex scene. It's not sexy at all.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How can you not love a sex scene with two gross unwashed Russian conscripts fumbling around beside a bunch of other gross unwashed conscripts like 2 minutes after a scene where someone lights a fart on fire.

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention Horns yet. It just popped up as the featured release in my queue, so I'm guessing it's a recent addition. Is it worth watching? Stephen King's son + Harry Potter sounds like a potentially entertaining trainwreck, but I've got a crazy backlog of good films to watch, so if it's just terrible I'd rather not waste my time.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Chichevache posted:

Horns was fun and I enjoyed the first three quarters or so of it.

Not really spoilers, but if you want to go in as blind as possible you should skip this.
I thought the ending and the "turn" were terrible. It went from a very interesting and different story to the most clichéd "young adult" ending possible. At some point it basically turns into an edgier Twilight, and that killed it for me.

This opinion was more or less mine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It felt way too "trying to be edgy" for me, especially juxtaposed with Daniel Radcliffe's (first?) role since HP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A MIRACLE posted:

It felt way too "trying to be edgy" for me, especially juxtaposed with Daniel Radcliffe's (first?) role since HP

None of the HP principals turned out to be good actors.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wrong. D-Cliffe is A Good Actor

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

While I didn't enjoy the movie all that much, Emma Watson was pretty great in The Bling Ring. And This Is The End, although she was kind of overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Same goes for Noah.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Heathcliff is an Orange Tabby. First post harry potter thing I saw him in was lady in black and that was a bad remake of what I assume is a bad movie by relation.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Aye Doc posted:

Did they take out How to Save a Life from that episode where Cox gives those people rabies on accident? That poo poo had my crying like a baby

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did they take out How to Save a Life from that episode where Cox gives those people rabies on accident? That poo poo had my crying like a baby

Last I saw, yep.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Showgirls is an exploitation film, and an unapologetic, balls to the wall awesome one at that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't know that I've ever read one of your posts and immediately thought "that's loving wrong" before. Seriously, that's probably a record. Every time I see you post in this or other threads I am totally into what you're laying down, even if I don't totally agree. But this.... nope.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This opinion was more or less mine.

:smith: I wanted to like it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Re; Horns: The movie was a good reproduction of the book, up until the what the loving gently caress ending. I had to think for a while if maybe I just missed the whole part in the book where it sucked so bad it undid the previous 95% of the story, but, nope, I'm pretty sure there was none of that poo poo in the book.

That, or I just blocked it out.

I pray to all the gods that if they make N0S4A2 into a movie, they don't gently caress the ending like they did to Horns.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

While I didn't enjoy the movie all that much, Emma Watson was pretty great in The Bling Ring. And This Is The End, although she was kind of overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Same goes for Noah.

Emma Watson was probably the best thing about The Bling Ring, and she was also great in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Emma Watson is a fine actress. Also, a foine actress.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey I just noticed Wetlands is now up on Netflix Instant. Hey everybody, watch Wetlands. It's a good gross comedy about vaginas and stuff. You'll probably regret it but c'mon, just watch it already.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) for the first time and I had no idea that movie had such a unique atmosphere to it. The sound design especially was incredible.The whole thing was just unsettling.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

I just watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) for the first time and I had no idea that movie had such a unique atmosphere to it. The sound design especially was incredible.The whole thing was just unsettling.

You should watch the original. It's one of the better horror/thrillers of the 1950's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Junkie Disease posted:

Heathcliff is an Orange Tabby. First post harry potter thing I saw him in was lady in black and that was a bad remake of what I assume is a bad movie by relation.

The original is really great.

Chichevache posted:

I don't know that I've ever read one of your posts and immediately thought "that's loving wrong" before. Seriously, that's probably a record. Every time I see you post in this or other threads I am totally into what you're laying down, even if I don't totally agree. But this.... nope.

I dunno, I haven't liked Radcliffe in anything and Emma Watson is often distractingly bad. Can't say much for the Weasley kid.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Radcliffe's best work is in the theatre, but that won't help netflix fans.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I've been slowly working my way through Black Mirror, and I just finished White Bear. :cry:

That end credits sequence was probably one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.

VVVVVV: James Spader is kind of a one-note actor, but he plays that note WELL.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Blacklist is not high quality television but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Spader also just oozes sleeziness and charm at the same time. :allears:

• Locked thread