Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Joementum posted:

Jill Stein is going to run again, so that's happening.

Her campaign was super bad last time, and she has the charisma of a wet sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

any word from Rocky?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Karnegal posted:

I'll be moving out of Illinois before the election, and the likely states are PA, VA, or MD, so I'll probably have to do a lesser of 2 evils vote.

your vote doesn't count you know that, right

one vote is nothing, it is piss in the ballot. vote for who you want

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Her campaign was super bad last time, and she has the charisma of a wet sponge.

So she's a third-party candidate, got it. I honestly think that the Green Party would have more success getting its message out by running for local offices, like town council, and taking advantage of those pulpits when they win, which will certainly happen more often than for presidential campaigns.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

CaptainCarrot posted:

So she's a third-party candidate, got it. I honestly think that the Green Party would have more success getting its message out by running for local offices, like town council, and taking advantage of those pulpits when they win, which will certainly happen more often than for presidential campaigns.

Nah you do have to run a candidate if only for media buzz, in practice it's supposed to work like one big ad, in practice 3rd parties hurt for candidates hurt for good organizing because all the people who are good at that are either 1)working for one of the 2 major parties 2) have potential but no one decent to help em hone it 3) Would rather be doing something else within the party (i.e I could do it but I feel I can do this better). Other than that, same problems any small organization has the people who have no business running things will be because they think they can do it whereas the person who should be doing it won't think they're good enough

Also Mitt needs to stop toying with my emotions the country needs you Mittbot.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

Thought a couple thousand Floridian progressives in 2000.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

V. Illych L. posted:

edit: ^ Ha!
Well I live in FL so I can't afford to think that way.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

happyhippy posted:

http://thehill.com/opinion/dick-morris/231663-dick-morris-scott-walker-could-win

The first death knell of Scott Walker, Dick the Prick Morris says hes going to win.

And remember kids

Holy gently caress Movement Conservative has rallied around a loving milk dud. Read those loving comments, 2016 is going to be a bloodbath for them.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Jill Stein is going to run again, so that's happening.
I really hope she doesn't try to go anywhere near the anti-vaxx train.

There are (unfortunately) a not-insignificant number of anti-vaxxers in the green party, and the anti-vaxx thing has already gotten way too much traction as it is. Hopefully Christie and Paul trying to backtrack like hell mostly kills the anti-vaxx issue before 2016 rolls around.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 7, 2015

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul is hosting an Audit the Fed fundraiser rally in Iowa tonight.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Christ, they're still calling them money bombs?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Its about positioning, it makes Huckster the one running the Christian insurgency.

And if there's one thing Iowa evangelicals are horrid at, its engaging in an insurgent political campaign. They're all about the flash for the community, with nothing to show for the pizza and beer crowd.

V. Illych L. posted:

His vote does count. In Illinois, it counts for $30.*

*Assuming correct choices, otherwise his vote counts for pennies.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Rand's supporters are unusually susceptible to viral campaigns.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Deteriorata posted:

Probably the lack of vaccinations.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Joementum posted:

:thurman:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

:boom:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Deteriorata posted:

Herd immunity is for the sheeple. Wake up!

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
OH GOD! YOU'VE AWOKEN THE SHEEPLE!

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/federal-subpoena-seeks-travel-records-of-former-port-authority-chairman-david-samson-1.1265692?page=all
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/investigations-might-sink-christie-after-all

The feds went beyond looking into Bridgegate and are getting further up in the shady business of Christie's port authority chairman appointee David Samson

Highlights
  • United Airlines was negotiating a 20-year, $150 million lease at Newark Liberty Airport
  • On at least one occasion, August 23, 2013, Chris Christie and David Samson together met with United Airlines CEO Jeffrey Smisek to discuss this arrangement. Two months prior to that meeting, and two months after signing of the new lease at Newark, thirteen United executives donated a total of $31,500 toward Christie’s re-election effort. The donations all were made between June 5 and June 17, 2013; only two of the twelve contributors listed New Jersey residences. It was the only time that United management collectively donated to a New Jersey political campaign, and in that particular cycle they represented the single largest pool of contributions from a publicly traded company and the third-largest pool overall, trailing a medical group and state employees.
  • The subpoena issued last month appears to be part of a probe into a flight route initiated by United while Samson was chairman of the transportation agency that operates the region’s airports. The route provided non-stop service between Newark and Columbia Metropolitan Airport in South Carolina — about 50 miles from a home where Samson often spent weekends with his wife. United halted the non-stop route on April 1 of last year, just three days after Samson resigned under a cloud. Samson referred to the twice-a-week route — with a flight leaving Newark on Thursday evenings and another returning on Monday mornings — as “the chairman’s flight,” one source said. Federal aviation records show that during the 19 months United offered the non-stop service, the 50-seat planes that flew the route were, on average, only about half full.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We really should have known about Mitt. I mean, when he did the conference call backing out, that was kind of like him taking a stance or position.

Has he ever taken a stance or position he hasn't later reversed himself on?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
As someone else pointed out above, jebs going to have to shoot himself in the foot before Romney jumps back in.

Bonus points if he pulls 'a voice from the sewers' at the convention.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RedQueen posted:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/federal-subpoena-seeks-travel-records-of-former-port-authority-chairman-david-samson-1.1265692?page=all
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/investigations-might-sink-christie-after-all

The feds went beyond looking into Bridgegate and are getting further up in the shady business of Christie's port authority chairman appointee David Samson

Highlights
  • United Airlines was negotiating a 20-year, $150 million lease at Newark Liberty Airport
  • On at least one occasion, August 23, 2013, Chris Christie and David Samson together met with United Airlines CEO Jeffrey Smisek to discuss this arrangement. Two months prior to that meeting, and two months after signing of the new lease at Newark, thirteen United executives donated a total of $31,500 toward Christie’s re-election effort. The donations all were made between June 5 and June 17, 2013; only two of the twelve contributors listed New Jersey residences. It was the only time that United management collectively donated to a New Jersey political campaign, and in that particular cycle they represented the single largest pool of contributions from a publicly traded company and the third-largest pool overall, trailing a medical group and state employees.
  • The subpoena issued last month appears to be part of a probe into a flight route initiated by United while Samson was chairman of the transportation agency that operates the region’s airports. The route provided non-stop service between Newark and Columbia Metropolitan Airport in South Carolina — about 50 miles from a home where Samson often spent weekends with his wife. United halted the non-stop route on April 1 of last year, just three days after Samson resigned under a cloud. Samson referred to the twice-a-week route — with a flight leaving Newark on Thursday evenings and another returning on Monday mornings — as “the chairman’s flight,” one source said. Federal aviation records show that during the 19 months United offered the non-stop service, the 50-seat planes that flew the route were, on average, only about half full.

I want to print these details out on tiny pieces of paper, throw them up above my head, and dance among them as the shadenfreude comes falling down.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Christie seems like someone that could have been a perpetual strongman/kingmaker/governor/ur-bureaucrat in NJ for the rest of his life if he'd just stepped out of the national spotlight a few months ago. He's going to blow everything up in his life with this presidential campaign. How wonderful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

shadow puppet of a posted:

Christie seems like someone that could have been a perpetual strongman/kingmaker/governor/ur-bureaucrat in NJ for the rest of his life if he'd just stepped out of the national spotlight a few months ago. He's going to blow everything up in his life with this presidential campaign. How wonderful.

Not really, people who were governors don't tend to get to run political machines in the state, plus he's term limited to 2.

Also since he's Republican he'd have basically no sway in the supermajority democrat legislature once out of governorship.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Barring some sort of personality transplant, I just don't see how Christie can hold it together and behave in something approaching even a nominal 'presidential fashion' for two more years. Things haven't even gotten to room temperature yet and we're already getting "What part of 'no more questions' don't you understand?!" responses while on foreign soil. It's pretty obvious that he's just going to totally flip his poo poo at some point.

Yeah, I get that this take no guff attitude appeals to a certain subset of Americans, but c'mon.

I just want to paraphrase EvilWeasel from last week, to a conservative: Christie firing off on teachers/limp-wristed liberals of any stripe= yeah! Tell those queers libruls!

Christie firing off on a fellow Republican= RINO TRAITOR!!!!

He will. not. survive. the. loving. primary.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus, are the other GOP candidates really going to give him a pass on Bridgegate and the rest of the festering mess Christie's left in Jersey?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Isn't this more the purview of Speakers or am I off about this?

Typically the machine guys don't even hold any special elected office. The head guy will tend to be maybe a state senator or a state rep/assemblyman/whatever your state calls them, with a nearly bulletproof gerrymander to keep their spot, else they're entirely out of elected office. Sometimes they'll be mayors of towns that vote reliably.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

Plus, are the other GOP candidates really going to give him a pass on Bridgegate and the rest of the festering mess Christie's left in Jersey?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the hammer they use to bludgeon him will be that he worked with Obama after Sandy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the hammer they use to bludgeon him will be that he worked with Obama after Sandy.

Of course, they won't need an anvil for that, since Christie serves as a decent enough one in a pinch.

E:

Chris Christie is what you'd get if you ordered one 'Republican Presidential' from Acme, Inc.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Karnegal posted:

I'll be moving out of Illinois before the election, and the likely states are PA, VA, or MD, so I'll probably have to do a lesser of 2 evils vote.

Not if you're in MD. Hogan getting elected was the result of the worst Democratic campaign I've ever seen in my life, and the last time MD voted for a Republican was Reagan (twice), before that was Nixon in '68. The House and Senate skew 2:1 Democrat.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

V. Illych L. posted:

The odds of your vote mattering are long in any state, but they are less absurd in some. It's more an issue of how much crushing guilt would I feel if I lost the vote lottery and say Virginia went Red, the dems lost the election, and then the supreme court got poo poo all over. I mean, the country can survive a lovely regressive president, we did it for 8 years not too long ago. But, with a republican controlled congress, the implications for the supreme court really scare me. If corporations are people, how much more hosed would the country be if a liberal justice were replaced with a conservative one?

As unlikely as my vote mattering is (about 1 in 10 million in VA), I don't know if the pay off of voting for a candidate I believe in more who I know will never
win is worth that chance.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Thought a couple thousand Floridian progressives in 2000.

and in any individual case, their voting tactically would have accomplished absolutely nothing

Seriously, even in small countries and local elections, single votes don't matter - if the situation is such that a single vote would matter, the situation comes up for a judicial review or a re-election anyway. Voting tactically makes no sense in any world unless you're part of a collective effort to do so - if you want the Democrats to win, then campaign for them. A couple of hundred votes might conceivably help in some way. Your individual vote does not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

and in any individual case, their voting tactically would have accomplished absolutely nothing

Seriously, even in small countries and local elections, single votes don't matter - if the situation is such that a single vote would matter, the situation comes up for a judicial review or a re-election anyway. Voting tactically makes no sense in any world unless you're part of a collective effort to do so - if you want the Democrats to win, then campaign for them. A couple of hundred votes might conceivably help in some way. Your individual vote does not.

Actually, the fact that that is the prevailing mood is itself a benefit. If [white, male, self identifies as progressive] person says "I better vote for the lesser of two evils" then it's quite possible that [white,male, self identifies as progressive] people in general will also feel that way.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, yeah, sure, and then they as a group might influence the election. Individual votes still don't matter for poo poo, though.

e. Like, can you imagine the screams of judicial murder that would ensue if some swing state was carried by one vote? It would get recounted, there would be a judicial review, some random number of votes would get lost and others that were previously lost would be found, and the individual contribution would then fall apart again. There is literally no way that one anonymous vote among thousands (or millions!) has any effect on the election, all else considered.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 7, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, yeah, sure, and then they as a group might influence the election. Individual votes still don't matter for poo poo, though.

Yeah, they do, because individuals who vote are stakeholders in American democracy and more likely to pursue actions in alignment with American cultural values.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, they do, because individuals who vote are stakeholders in American democracy and more likely to pursue actions in alignment with American cultural values.

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

If you tell a couple hundred people that their vote doesn't matter, does not that in itself "conceivably [help] in some way"?

• Locked thread